Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by evil_ash_xero »

My "dream hacks" are mainly performance hacks, lately. These SA1 hacks have been amazing. They just come out so slow.
The FastROM hacks are nice, too.

I'd love for R-Type III and Sparkster to get the SA1 treatment. I've played them with overclocking on emulators, and it's a nice change of pace.

Other random hacks would be one for The Wily Wars. The controls being oddly different keeps me from getting into that collection. If they could take out the little pauses when you step,
and make it more like the NES games, I would be all over that.

One hack I had mentioned wanting (on here) got released. They added the GB Tetris music to the NES game. Seems very small, but that song is THE Tetris song. Seems wrong without it.

A recoloring hack of Steel Empire would be interesting. One that makes the MD version look more like the GBA version. I know that was the director's vision, but it isn't the most appealing color scheme. An
alternative would be nice.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Someone please give the Crusader games a major control scheme overhaul hack, because that setup was pretty jank even by mid 90s PC standards. I mean just look at this shit!

Actually, they probably just need a full-on remake. I don't know who thought the Ultima 8 engine was suited to action gaming, but they were very wrong.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Air Master Burst wrote:Someone please give the Crusader games a major control scheme overhaul hack, because that setup was pretty jank even by mid 90s PC standards. I mean just look at this shit!

Actually, they probably just need a full-on remake. I don't know who thought the Ultima 8 engine was suited to action gaming, but they were very wrong.
Need an ultraviolent amoral cyberpunk dystopian isometric action game with a darkwave soundtrack?

Have you played Brigador?

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Brigador is really cool but doesn't quite scratch the same tactical itch as Crusader.

The OST isn't nearly as good as Crusader's, either, but it puts in some work for sure.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Hotkeys spread to the four winds, movement liberally slathered over the arrows / numpad / navigation clusters, and ambition to spare... God bless mid-90s PC gaming ergonomics :lol: ...And DOSBox for implementing a remapper.

And hell yeah to Brigador. Sick tactical vehicular action in its own right (the bonus audiobook is also enjoyable if you dig the 'Ard British Ex Mil accent), and an excellent gateway drug to MechWarrior and the inevitable HOTAS ownership that follows.

Speaking of MW, I'd take a performance + input backend overhaul hack for DOS MechWarrior 2. It's one of the absolute best for atmosphere, but really limited by the joystick APIs and machine specs of the time.
Or just a full remake, since an emulated DOS machine is never going to pull off a satisfactory high framerate multi-monitor sim experience. MechVM might suffice eventually, but progress is glacial.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Sand Scorpion (Japan)

Removes all of the Euro-shmup features from Sand Scorpion, like excessive hit points for zako enemies and full auto on A button is standard.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.