Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ZellSF

Re: Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Post by ZellSF »

Got a New 2DS XL. First the bad, the screen has a slight problem with vertical lines (sort of like jailbars) that's mostly evident on darker tones of colors. Not sure if all New 2DS XL units have this problem or not. The stylus is also way too small and I hate the lack of user replaceable battery.

Now for the good and I think this is really huge: the difference in shape and weight? Makes it SO much more ergonomic to me. You'd think "big deal, rounded corners around the triggers, 1 cm less vertical space used and 100gr lighter". It doesn't sound like it would make a huge difference, but it really does.

The design looks much better: the dedicated vertical space for the home button and the raised lower screen always bothered me and both are gone now. No clue if this is another self-scratching screen or not though. I got a screen with no dust/pixel defects, examining it with a flashlight it's much better than all the 3DS XL/New 3DS XL I've seen. The C-Stick is also better than the other New 3DS XL systems I've tried, though not by much. It's the first 3DS I've seen other than my IPS New 3DS XL that has no noticeable backlight bleed and colors are fairly well calibrated on both screens.

If you don't need 3D and use headphones, buy this thing. It's amazing. I'm recommending it based on the increased ergonomics if you weren't getting that, not because I got a slightly good result in the QA lottery this time around.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Hold on.... why do you say if you use headphones, buy it? Is the sound much worse than a 3ds?

I've been thinking about getting one of these as I still haven't got a 3ds, I'm not generally a headphone user though.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Immryr wrote:Hold on.... why do you say if you use headphones, buy it? Is the sound much worse than a 3ds?

I've been thinking about getting one of these as I still haven't got a 3ds, I'm not generally a headphone user though.
Maybe because the speakers, while stereo (fuck you PSP Street), are tiny and right next to the cartridge slot, next to where your hands are.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

New 2DS XL speakers are terrible compared to New 3DS XL speakers.

Spoke too soon about the c-stick. Now I can barely get it to register down and right at all. I feel more confident buying counterfeit hardware from China then I do getting anything good out of Nintendo :?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

ZellSF wrote:
soprano1 wrote:Well, looks like this will be a thing, so here's the warning: be careful when buying used 3DS consoles, you might get a banned one.
I'm going with "duh". Be careful when buying ANY used console, you might get a banned one. I think it's detestable that companies ban hardware, because there's just a way too high chance it will end up hurting people who have done nothing wrong.

I didn't revive this thread to answer that though, but to mention there's now a new hack for all 3DS versions. It needs one of two specific NDS flash cartridges (one is the very common Acekard 2i) and a device that supports the flash cartridge you can use to install the exploit (the target system does not need to be able to run the flash cartridge).
I actually read more on this and actually missed how huge this was, this is really early in the boot process, before it gets to any code execution on writeable nand chips: it's unblockable by Nintendo (other than a hardware revision) and more importantly: it can recover most software bricked 3DS systems.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Got another New 2DS XL. Still fun with the quality lottery: huge piece of dust in the middle of the top screen. Also the color difference between the screens was massive (that wasn't the dealbreaker though). It didn't have the jailbars though (and had a decent c-stick) so that was a calibration fault on the first system. I want a New 2DS XL, but dealing with this shit? Nah it's going back to the store too and I'll just keep my New 3DS XL (which isn't perfect either).

I wonder if Nintendo's quality control has changed that much or if I was just massively lucky with my GBA and DS systems and massively unlucky with 3DS systems.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/13/et ... tendo-3ds/
It appears the digital release in Europe will be the same as the US, or so it says on the eshop page.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yesterday the limited samus new 3ds xl was £179.99 to preorder on amazon and i was tempted to buy it, today it's for sale at £249.99.... definitely missed out there.

ultimately i'm still not sure if i should get a 2ds xl or a 3ds xl when i eventually get round to buying one.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Immryr wrote:yesterday the limited samus new 3ds xl was £179.99 to preorder on amazon and i was tempted to buy it, today it's for sale at £249.99.... definitely missed out there.

ultimately i'm still not sure if i should get a 2ds xl or a 3ds xl when i eventually get round to buying one.
Get N3DS XL while they are still around.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

It depends a bit on how you feel about 3D and speakers. If those aren't important to you, I would go with the much more ergonomic 2DS XL.

I don't think there's any rush if you need a New 3DS XL. They might jump slightly in price at production end, but not a lot.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Immryr wrote:yesterday the limited samus new 3ds xl was £179.99 to preorder on amazon and i was tempted to buy it, today it's for sale at £249.99.... definitely missed out there.

It's still up on the Nintendo UK store if you really want it:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/new-ninten ... 28078.html

Those regular New 3DS swappable faceplates clearing weren't gouging enough so Nintendo well full collectxploitation with all these XL limited editions!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ZellSF wrote:It depends a bit on how you feel about 3D and speakers. If those aren't important to you, I would go with the much more ergonomic 2DS XL.

I don't think there's any rush if you need a New 3DS XL. They might jump slightly in price at production end, but not a lot.
I'm not bothered about the 3D at all, the speaker quality could be a thing if the 2ds speakers are really that bad. I don't generally wear headphones.

Thanks TAF, I'm probably going to buy one right now actually. I think it was just a feeling of "damn I missed my chance".
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Immryr wrote:
ZellSF wrote:It depends a bit on how you feel about 3D and speakers. If those aren't important to you, I would go with the much more ergonomic 2DS XL.

I'm not bothered about the 3D at all, the speaker quality could be a thing if the 2ds speakers are really that bad.
They are that bad, if you need speakers you want a New 3DS XL.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

11.6 firmware released. If you're feeling your 3DS is not stable enough this one's for you. It doesn't seem to actually do anything (not blocking homebrew either).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Immryr wrote:Thanks TAF, I'm probably going to buy one right now actually.
There's a space for you on my MH4U team if you so wish, Immy :mrgreen:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sam250

Post by Sam250 »

Hey, ya'll. I'm looking for recommendations for shmups on the 3ds (I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I've been back several pages and couldn't find anything).

I'm hoping for something more recent than the 3D classics like TwinBee and Fantasy Zone. 90s onwards, perhaps, if they are ports of old games, but if there have been any shmups developed specifically for the 3DS I'd really like to hear about them, if they don't suck. The only ones I know about are Nano Assault and Kokuga, neither of which are fully satisfying me (Nano Assult is a heck of a good looking game, though). Anything else?

I have access to a non-disclosed way of getting hold of hard to find games, so rarity or region shouldn't be a problem.

Since I've discovered some of the hidden alcoves the the 3DS software library, I'm having just a huge amount of fun with it XD It's a little gem of a system with, just like the DS. Lots of unexpected pleasures.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Finished playing the Etrian Odyssey V demo, no PC-88 music? :(
Sounds like a cheap version of the Super Arrange albums.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

There's definitely an FM soundtrack to Etrian Odyssey on V, as I listened to it on Youtube. It's downloadable content.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ZacharyB wrote:There's definitely an FM soundtrack to Etrian Odyssey on V, as I listened to it on Youtube. It's downloadable content.
That's just fucked up.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sam250 wrote:Hey, ya'll. I'm looking for recommendations for shmups on the 3ds (I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I've been back several pages and couldn't find anything).

I'm hoping for something more recent than the 3D classics like TwinBee and Fantasy Zone. 90s onwards, perhaps, if they are ports of old games, but if there have been any shmups developed specifically for the 3DS I'd really like to hear about them, if they don't suck. The only ones I know about are Nano Assault and Kokuga, neither of which are fully satisfying me (Nano Assult is a heck of a good looking game, though). Anything else?

I have access to a non-disclosed way of getting hold of hard to find games, so rarity or region shouldn't be a problem.

Since I've discovered some of the hidden alcoves the the 3DS software library, I'm having just a huge amount of fun with it XD It's a little gem of a system with, just like the DS. Lots of unexpected pleasures.
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Fantasy Zone II W (available by itself and in the Sega 3D Classics Collection) is based on a more recent PS2 remake of Fantasy Zone II that was in a Sega Ages PS2 collection that came out in 2008. It was a newer game designed to use System 16 hardware and is very different and much more arcade like than the SMS original. The 3DS version is based on the this version, but was programmed from the ground up for 3DS.

Fantasy Zone II W for 3DS also has a new mode called Link Loop Land which plays like a combination of Fantasy Zone and Nights.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I'm playing more of EOV, seems I was a bit harsh on the music. Still, I sure as well won't pay for the FM music that should have been part of the game.
What I have to be harsh about is the localization, holy shit. :? It's full of memes! :x

EDIT: Looks like IV wasn't too good either:
Spoiler
da fuck? :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/06/ne ... -10-japan/
3 Untold, I guess? I'm surprised they didn't make V the final one on 3DS before moving to the Switch.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/06/ne ... -10-japan/
3 Untold, I guess? I'm surprised they didn't make V the final one on 3DS before moving to the Switch.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/09/et ... t-2-japan/
Nope, Etrian Odyssey pseudo-MUGEN edition. PV here:
https://youtu.be/EqJDwsDUlVI
Hero class? Is this DQ IV? :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/06/ne ... -10-japan/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/09/et ... t-2-japan/
Nope, Etrian Odyssey pseudo-MUGEN edition. PV here:
https://youtu.be/EqJDwsDUlVI
Hero class? Is this DQ IV? :lol:
I wish they would stop using the US title for JP stuff, especially when the JP title means something completely different. Also, Etrian Odyssey was a poor choice when not all games take place in Etria.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://youtu.be/NWy5FQXDXp0
New trailer for EOX showing the Hero class, a better description is here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/02/et ... abilities/
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/15/et ... uary-2019/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/15/et ... n-english/
X is getting a Western release in February 2019 as Etrian Odyssey Nexus. Most likely the last 3DS major title release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

"The game is available in Japan as Etrian Odyssey X"

No, it's Sekaiju no Meikyuu X, which means something like Labyrinth of the World Tree, not "Etrian Odyssey".
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

soprano1 wrote:Most likely the last 3DS major title release.
Did they announce Persona Q 2 for localization yet? If that happens methinks it'll be the next contender until something else pops out of nowhere and gets Switch owners' collective knickers in a twist, heh.