The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by BIL »

Perikles wrote:I'm certainly going to record a 1LC on Crazy, rather sooner than later if at all possible. While the aforementioned video might not reach BILesian superplay quality it hopefully is able to visualise why this game is so awesome. :)
Subscriptioned! I can't watch the entire UDL replay just yet though, I've barely made any progress beyond Forest and Cemetery. ;3 So hard to resist going back to comfy old favourites like Alien Soldier and Super Shinobi.

Yeah null, the firewheel should've totally killed on contact. Like those green faux-spiderman wankers! Even ignoring aesthetics it'd have made for a slightly more interesting fight, though it's still a dud compared to st1 and st2's deceptively nasty RNG setups. I never tire of going for JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTZ at those guys with the constant risk of my escape being brutally cut off. (unless I BOMBA like a BIG WEENIE ofc)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

null1024 wrote:but but but Puyo Puyo 2 on MD has that REAL ARCADE OPERATOR MENU thing going on and I love it
and it's also the closest to arcade in general of all the versions, with the major difference being the sound being much worse because no proper PCM hardware+MD ROM space
I'm guessing Puyo Puyo 1 is also close since it's on the same hardware. I still plan to get the MD port of two, especially since I heard it's the closest to the arcade. Part of the reason I chose the original is that I was trying to get the games under 50 and the first game is slightly cheaper.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Owning the Mega Drive, PS1, and Saturn ports of Puyo Puyo 2 (with a desire for the GB and SFC Remix versions), to me they all seemed to play alike and feel alike. Then someone mentions the MD port is closest to arcade, and now I am curious as to how so
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well as null1024 says it's still Puyo² 2 only with crappy voices.
I'd say the point is to be able to play a puzzle game of that level on cartridge without bothering with one's old cd-based console, plus the guarantee of a great addition in one's MD collection.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

BrianC wrote:I ordered Hell Fire ... a couple days ago.
So that's what happened to the copy I was watching...

Anyway, Fire Shark came in. I pressed start without going to the options. Game defaulted to Easy. I started out thinking the game was pretty intense, then it started to feel easy when I got powered up and grew accustomed to the pacing. I died around stage 4 or 5 and it got tough again until I got some power ups. Unlike some checkpoint games, I always felt like I could recover from deaths in Fire Shark. (Doesn't mean I always did recover, and it was on easy) I lost my last life near the end of stage 8. The last part of the big ship at the end killed me. The landing runway came into sight as I was crashing. So sad. The enemy patterns were pretty awesome in the later stages. I also tried two credits on Hard. Barely passed stage 1 the first time, did not clear stage 1 the second time. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this one. Oh, and the stage 1 music is awesome.

I also bought Alien Storm. I guess it's basically the sci-fi version of Golden Axe or Streets of Rage. I had fun playing it, but it's nothing I'd put onto a must-buy list. There were not many attacks or types of enemies, so the same few enemies were simply recolored with more damage and health. Unless some gameplay depth reveals itself to me, I suspect I'll grow tired of this one after a few sessions. I only knew about this game because I used to think it was the US version of Alien Soldier until I watched some gameplay videos and learned that there is no US version of Alien Soldier. Shame, that one looks really good.

Darwin 2081. Not making much sense of this. I collect power-ups and my ship changes shape. I'm usually surprised at which weapon I'll get. I think the curving red lasers are a downgrade from the 3-way spread shot. I kill lizards and collect DNA, but I have no idea what it does aside from making my DNA number bigger. I often de-evolve seemingly at random. Not sure if some upgrades have a time/shot limit or if I'm getting hit by bullets that I'm not noticing. I looked in the instructions, but I couldn't learn much there except that I shouldn't step on my cartridges. I'll have to read up on this one.

I ordered Truxton. Looking forward to when that arrives.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Darwin 2081. Not making much sense of this. I collect power-ups and my ship changes shape. I'm usually surprised at which weapon I'll get. I think the curving red lasers are a downgrade from the 3-way spread shot. I kill lizards and collect DNA, but I have no idea what it does aside from making my DNA number bigger. I often de-evolve seemingly at random. Not sure if some upgrades have a time/shot limit or if I'm getting hit by bullets that I'm not noticing. I looked in the instructions, but I couldn't learn much there except that I shouldn't step on my cartridges. I'll have to read up on this one.
The ship de-evolves one form after another after a set amount of time expires unless you constantly pick up new Evol power-ups. If you get hit it automatically de-evolves to the first form (unless you got a shield which will neutralise one shot; it does not protect against collisions with enemies, though, these will kill you immediately regardless of the state of your ship), the next hit is going to be lethal.
The DNA is for when you die: say you picked up 6 DNA orbs. If you lose a life you start the checkpoint as if you collected six A-Evol power-ups already, making recovery quite a bit easier.

It's a quirky game for sure, albeit it comes with a few flaws. Bosses either die within fractions of seconds (full power) or take a little eternity (anything below the second-highest tier of weaponry), the B-Evol power-ups are extremely annoying whilst looking almost identical to the A-Evol power-ups, the difficulty jumps all over the place, the bullet visibility could be better etc. pp. It's still enjoyable and a good challenge on Normal (Easy being default) but I wouldn't outright recommend it. The basic stage conception never changes (disregarding the obvious cosmetic alterations) and despite all the original ideas (like flying over a set of circuit boards or generally the elaboration of the evolution system) it sorely lacks coherence to form a veritable personality. I do have to praise the complete absence of slowdowns, game runs smooth as silk.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Yeah, Darwin 2081 is weird as hell, and a strange choice for a port to a home console IMO. I plateaued at the Xevious mothership-looking boss with all the swastikas on it (that's what they looked like to me, anyway). IIRC even at full power for some reason the second phase kept taking long enough that I'd eventually get shot and devolve back to the basic form. And then of course get killed.

Then some other MD games came along and I forgot all about it. Interesting shooter though, although I prefer Dangerous Seed in the end I think.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Act-Fancer: Cybernetick Hyper Weapon is not on MD, but was pretty playable on MAME last time I checked - now that one's weird even if you bear in mind it's by Data East.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It's not so crazy, really. Karnov? And it's almost like a graphics swap of Oscar, with crazy weapons.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I know about only two*) games where the playable character transforms into a cockroach. Must be some kind of taboo.

*) Still more than games where you play as hair.
The way out is cut off

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm joining the recent Mega CD discussion by asserting that its small shooter library is simply incredible. It might only have six pure genre representatives (I'm not counting Devastator - that's partly a below-average shooter and partly a frankly terrible action platformer :?; I'm also excluding rail shooters, I'm plainly not able to play any of them, I never know what the hell is going on :lol:) but even the "worst" one of those is still a solid title. My thoughs on them, going from "worst" to best (subjective):

- Sol-Feace is an underappreciated game. I understand that it looks like an average run-of-the-mill effort at first, but it's actually a creative specimen. The angled cannons provide a little tactical note to the game, especially in combination with the three different weapon types. There's quite a bit to see in terms of different stages and concepts, ranging from an archetypical huge battleship to a breakthrough mission where you can singe enemy fighters that come from behind with your thrusters - love that stage! Its only real downside is that the Genesis Sol-Deace (it's a US exclusive conversion) is flat-out better. No flickering or slowdowns and even a better soundtrack in my opinion. I still highly recommend checking this one out, it is a trimly crafted game through and through.

- Winds of Thunder/Lords of Thunder differs in a few interesting ways from its PCE original. The downgraded colour palette is quite apparent, the Mega CD version has some instances where textures look fairly dark. I don't deem it that much of an issue, however - the shop keeper, on the other hand, does have voice samples in this version and she is more scantily clad. :wink: The gameplay-related aspects are more interesting. First of all: the sword is ludicrously overpowered in this version. It's possible to kill bosses in mere seconds with it, it is that obscene. Second: there's no limits for the crystals any more, meaning that this version is better suited when playing for score (every crystal in reserve gets converted into points after finishing the game). Last but not least: the higher difficulty settings are different from the PCE's, most notably the lack of suicide bullets is to be duly noted. I do like this game overall even though it has distinct euro shmup tendencies, particularly on Hard and Super. Certain bullet patterns are pretty much unavoidable no matter what, gotta tank it like a man. The overall difficulty is deplorably low, but the atmosphere makes up for it: more of a roller coster ride than anything else, really.

- Bari Arm/Android Assault is an interesting one. It blatantly steals from other shooters/games (there is a high speed tunnel right out of Gradius II, one enemy looks exactly like the ship in Gleylancer, there are huge cannons mounted in asteroids just like the ones in Assault Suits Valken, the highway section is right out of Down Load, one boss has the same head as one boss in Rayxanber II and so on and so forth) yet it still manages to convey its own style. It sort of has that figurehead aura to it (which is not suprising for it rigorously tries to be the Thunder Force IV on the Mega CD), being a classic space shooter and all that. What keeps it from being great is the slightly callow charge shot design. If you wait long enough it fills up to three bars in order to unleash a powerful attack which sounds great in theory. The crux of the matter is that there is almost never a reason not to sit there and wait for the meter to fill up. There should've been more of a risk/reward system so that it actually feels meaningful. Chiefly the last two bosses are way too resilient, thus tainting the game a bit with noble ennui. Still an awesome game overall.

- I'm not sure why most people dismiss Silpheed so heedless. Sure, the polygons overstayed their welcome, but the gameplay is what matters, right? And dissimilar to Star Fox it actually constantly runs at a brisk pace, none of that three-and-a-half frames per second business. Relentless action from the first stage to the last, the energy bar testifies to the programmer's overarching concept instead of being a frowsy makeshift solution. It is perfectly possible to lose almost the entire health in a few seconds if one is not diligently vigilant. Bosses are specifically great, they behave immensely aggressive but can be dispatched in the twinkling of an eye if played properly. This is how it should be. The tilted perspective might need getting used to, in view of the fact that I'm terrible at rail shooters (see above) it can't be that problematic, however. Supreme narrative Star Wars style including a Death Star sequence and a grueling final boss makes this a must.

- Dennin/Robo Aleste is without a modicum of doubt my favorite Compile shooter so far (it must be recognised that I still haven't played Super Aleste on the higher difficulty settings, so it's not a complete statement). Much harder than your regular Musha, Sylphia, Spriggan (Mark 2), Gunhed or what have you, and for the better. The first hit will kill you, no matter how much you powered up the Aleste. And dependent on the current stage/situation this might yield grave consequences. Logically, this'll change the player's paradigm when playing this game. Add to that the pretty brillant selection of four weapons that are all useful in certain spots and the usual audio-visual excellence (I personally think this is the best-looking and -sounding Compile shooter) and you got a clear winner. The penultimate boss fight is one of the fiercest, exhaustive, nail-biting skirmishes I've ever had the pleasure to see in a 16-bit shooter, and the final boss might not be nearly as tough, but it is still epic. Great game!

- Keio Yuugekitai/Keio Flying Squadron is one continuous ode to carefulness. I've yet to see another game where one can change the position of the hitbox - it is even displayed by little raster graphics. :o Plays like a mixtum compositum between Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (with raccoons instead of penguins) and an Irem game (there's even one boss straight out of Gun Hohki, was delighted to see that). Some memorization is definitely required to beat this game as it is littered with traps that will inevitably deplete unwary player's life stock - as it should be. I adore the option system: if you cease your fire up to two little helper dragons will materialise out of thin air. It is possible to sacrifice said little dragons for considerable damage and a bullet-neutralising effect which comes in really handy. This adds a profound layer of decision-making into the fray: is it wise to use one or two dragons in precarious situations? It drastically decreases the overall offensive capacity, and there might be not enough breathing room to create more of them so it might end up being counter-productive. If one dies, on the other hand, they're lost, anyway. This is the risk-reward system that Bari-Arm is lacking. The cute, wacky theme is also nicely done.

All in all: splendid portfolio of shooters! I'm glad that I ended my solemn plight of clearing every 16-bit shooter on such a high note (well, I don't own a 32X and a SuperGrafx and I'm not going to change that, but I tackled all the HuCard/PCE CD/MD/Mega CD/SFC stuff) nothwithstanding that I'm just a bit sad this journey has come to an end. I'm glad I decided to get the system, discovered quite a few new favourites for my 16-bit shooter selection. :)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I didn't think Keio Flying Squadron would hide a devilish streak underneath all the cute. Its enjoyable Saturn sequel (a platformer) is very sedate (yet charming) by comparison.

I think I am nearing the end of Landstalker. This final (?) dungeon - past the warp into the... other dimension? - is massive and exhausting. A gigantic maze, bristling with winding paths for you to get lost, tricky puzzles with punishing fail-states (usually being dropped down a floor, wasting precious time and energy), and enemies/bosses that delight in ganging up on Nigel and depleting his life stock.

This game has been a pretty wild ride, though I've played it on and off as my interest has drifted. Nearly everything about the game screams quality, though I admit that the combat is a little simplistic. The focus is much more on platforming and puzzling though. It's incredible how the game has repeatedly worn me down with its enormous dungeons - they really are the highlight in ingenuity and sheer scale.

Has anyone played Light Crusader, which is often compared to Landstalker (dungeon-crawling isometric)? That's fun too, but I admittedly never got too far into it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've long stayed my trembling mouse hand from acquiring Light Crusader, despite being quite the Treasure/MD aficionado. Finished it back in the day, don't recall it being particularly great. It does feature the very memorable goofy cat music, however.

A while ago zinger mentioned he'd reviewed it - I'd love to hear his thoughts.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I'd rather play it in co-op, but Arcus Odyssey seemed like a fun isometric dungeon crawl. Better Genesis/MD version than Final Zone, too, if a similar game engine. Enemy respawns - rigidly unforgiving. Not like Gautlet (IV) where you can at least do something about them spawns, no sir.
Come to think of it, Boktai I played on my GBA yesterday has got pesky respawns of Metroid calibre as well.
The way out is cut off

zinger

Post by zinger »

Hmm, I have that Light Crusader review somewhere. The main message, anyway, is:

1) Cool theme, nice detailed graphics mostly. Graphics are re-used a lot though, and whatever new designs that show up later on in the game look quite poor. Great job on the soundtrack. Nice mix of complex up-beat songs and gorgeous ambient compositions that really add loads to the atmosphere.

2) The combat AND the platforming action is broken. If you fill up your water magic stock you have pretty much an infinite supply of health refills, so most enemies or hazards can be approached care-free. The action can still be quite satisfying though, because of how cool the music tracks and many enemy sprites are.

3) When not fighting, you spend most of the time moving shit around in Sookoban-styled puzzle sections. These are awfully annoying because of a) how precise you need to be when aligning the objects, b) how easy it is to mess that up because of how ill-defined the game's engine is (you then have to exit and re-enter the room, for everything to reset, and start all over again). The puzzles themselves aren't challenging, but even if I could figure them out them right away most of the time, I still often had to exit and re-enter rooms several times because of the the engine's inaccuracy. Drove me crazy, especially where the floor was slippery ice. This particular aspect of the game is pure frustration, ZERO fun...

All in all, playable and interesting to a certain extent, but by no means a good game.
SOUNDSHOCK
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I thought it was a "good" game. I was entertained by it.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks zinger! Sounds quite familiar... ornate audiovisuals and a prodigious amount of crate puzzles.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Kino wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I didn't think Keio Flying Squadron would hide a devilish streak underneath all the cute. Its enjoyable Saturn sequel (a platformer) is very sedate (yet charming) by comparison.
Play it on Tengu/Superhuman difficulty, it's anything but. On lower difficulties, Rami's weapons function like the rings in Sonic, where you can keep picking them up whenever you get hit, effectively granting you a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card the entire game. Not so on Tengu; her weapons disappear immediately upon hitting the ground. Combine that with new enemy attacks, no weapon dispensers during boss fights, and the fact that the game already controls as well as your average Valis, you've got quite the memorizer on your hands. Forget a no-death run, I'd be impressed with someone managing a no continue run. :lol:
That sounds enticing... Is there any decent translation of the menu screen?

Just beat Landstalker. Fantastic game and a great final dungeon, visuals-wise. It's a shame that a good game had to come to an end. :cry:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Perikles wrote:- Dennin/Robo Aleste is without a modicum of doubt my favorite Compile shooter so far (it must be recognised that I still haven't played Super Aleste on the higher difficulty settings, so it's not a complete statement). Much harder than your regular Musha, Sylphia, Spriggan (Mark 2), Gunhed or what have you, and for the better.
Have you played Gunhed on the higher difficulty settings, though?
Perikles wrote:- I'm not sure why most people dismiss Silpheed so heedless. Sure, the polygons overstayed their welcome, but the gameplay is what matters, right?
Funnily enough, I found the presentation superb, but I blame the perspective for me not enjoying playing the thing.
The way out is cut off

Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I wouldn't know about 2 PAL, but found the American(?) voices in Sega CD Keio Flying Squadron surprisingly palatable.
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Any of you blokes fans of Gain-Ground?

I got back into recently and it is pretty fun.
More Bromances = safer people
BIL

Post by BIL »

Great game, for both solo and cooperative play. I actually prefer the MD port for singleplayer... the smaller battlefields take some legwork off.

The MD port also has an interesting Hard difficulty - at first it might seem like some sort of joke, starting you off with every character. Catch is, there are absolutely no captives, so dead is dead. Makes for more of an endurance challenge, and puts a hell of a nasty sting in the loss of strong characters (like my favourite, HERR PROFESSOR).

The PS2's 3D AGES remake is also surprisingly decent, especially by the line's lacking pre-M2 standards. Worth hearing the arranged soundtrack by S.S.H at the very least.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the translation, Kino. I had been using double-tap to run, and it hadn't hurt me to hard yet, but I can see where a single input would be ideal.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:I wouldn't know about 2 PAL, but found the American(?) voices in Sega CD Keio Flying Squadron surprisingly palatable.
From what I read, Keio 2's English VA is the same as the first game. I like the voices too, for a comedy dub (of a comedy game).

===

I've beaten the Genesis Wonder Boy/Monster World games now, and am working on the older titles (unfortunately the recolored reskinned -but highly playable!- PC-Engine ports by Hudson). Haven't touched too much of Monster Lair, but all of them are good.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is a darn near perfect game for being relatively on the easy side. The way the world opens up as you gain abilities is nothing short of magical. Monster World IV, not quite so, but very good. The dungeons are large and varied, though the lack of backtracking is a bummer. I think it's only -really- let down by a repetitive ice dungeon (do three different versions of the same dungeon!), and a last dungeon that's essentially an endurance run (compared to the ever-popular "final dungeon is a maze" of the previous games).

Obi is right to call the MW4 charmingly "feminine." I think at least a few of the designers in the series were women, so perhaps that quality came through? MW4 nonetheless has gorgeous art design.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I remember a few of Keio 2's PAL voice samples grating - most of all the racoon captain's "Fire! Fire! Fire!" during the first STG level. OTOH I was down with that fierce "Return our rice!" Be like SHICHININ NO SAMURAI or some shit.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

MintyTheCat wrote:Any of you blokes fans of Gain-Ground?

Love that game. Haven't beaten it yet, but I think it's a fantastic game design.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

MR_Soren wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:Any of you blokes fans of Gain-Ground?

Love that game. Haven't beaten it yet, but I think it's a fantastic game design.
Yes, it does not rely on amazing graphics and I dare say many would have passed it up. The most important thing is gameplay though and it is very good fun to play.

You are always kicking yourself when you try to rescue one character and lose half your team trying and then the timer runs out :D

I have the Japanese MD cart.
Are there any other games similar to this? I recall Crack Down and I own that one but it is a puzzle-bomber game.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

My goodness I had no idea that Alien Soldier went for that much!
Was it ever released in the US? I have a UK copy that I picked up for a pound eons back. I now feel old :D