Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:bah, Biruford how do i chain the wing smashes, i've never been able to do it. :|
First thing to know is, only certain revisions actually let you do that. Typically NTSCU/PAL releases of the PS1, PSP and PS4 versions - I forget the specifics (like the 360 revs), but the CV Wiki should have you covered.

As for the maneuver itself, you have to be fairly quick with your 360s. This guy's speedrun has an input display, which illustrates pretty neatly. I find the bat's yawing animation useful - when I'm on a really good chain, he'll be bobbing along at a nice even rate.

A quick GIF:

Alucard's Wuhan Escape
Spoiler

^ You can see the bop/hop I mean, there (along with a few taps [down] to avoid whacking the ceiling). I think the input window is something like a second total, for the [hold button] [360] [release button] sequence. Will have a look around, someone's bound to have codified it. Fun move for tearing into big beefy bosses, like Granfalloon and Beelzebub, as well as fast travel through the Entryway and Marble Corridor. CWSing across the open sky of the Clock Tower's courtyard feels pretty rad, too. :cool:

Was driving me up a wall trying to do them on JP PS4, which lacks them - switched to EU PS4, and all was good. Although some minor graphical glitches slightly dint the game's immaculate presentation (the Outer Wall elevator's chain no longer whips and recoils with each brutal impact; the Lossoth's caverns cast no shadows), I'm quite fond of this version for otherwise playing very smoothly (absolutely no slowdown at the PS1's handful of trouble spots, like Poison Gassing the Inverse Entryway), and more importantly, unifying Western Wing Smash with the classic JP voice acting. One can never have too many versions of SOTN, of course. Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:lol:
oh shit.. escape from Wuhan, so that's how it all started. Thanks a bunch, Alucard! :x

Thanks man, that was it. Before I was inputting it all way too late thinking I needed to time X release for the end of the first smash.
Still finnicky as hell but i'm getting a double quite consistently.

Got my Watermelon drip
all my homies love Watermelon Cape

Edit. rofl just died to the big knight in the centre of 2nd castle.
was it his swings that hit me? no it was the sword hitbox when it returns to neutral after one of his other attacks. now that's infuriating. also dying in sotn? i'm so embarrassed i don't know where to look!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stealin that look for my next revisit :cool:

If you're gonna die anywhere, it's definitely Black Marble Gallery (or the adjacent Inverted Entryway). Zako Division tag team champs Nova & Jacko put in a respectable effort, and their respective Guardians/Warg Knights/Venus Weeds can all hit a non-grinding player hard (particularly if you're a Ring of Ares fan). BMG even has some nasty (sadly all too rare) environment hazards. I liked testing my monitor's input response by snatching items out of those snappers. :mrgreen:

Speaking of Guardians... as mentioned, the Muramasa trick - grind up a killer blade in the Floating Caverns' octopus bloodbath, then soft reset to store its level in RAM and start a new file, the Muramasa dropped in the Clock Tower now annihilating all enemies/bosses in one shot - doesn't work in non-PlayStation versions. But it's still kinda amusing clapping the Inverse Castle's remaining heavies/bosses with it. Image

2HIT kill, he know it SHAMEFUR Image
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ahahah that is disgusto

One of my favourite little Vacation moments is the long hallway in Black Marble Gallery.. I just divekick the entire corridor, bouncing off the weed enemies, then the jackobones, or sometimes a gold skull if it's in the right place.
It's really satisfying to just carry that forward momentum the whole way.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

had a lil' speedrun with Richter to refresh my memory. not sure what the best route is still, hopefully i have some ps4 footage lying around.
Just under 18 minutes. Still pretty happy with that tbh! I should record

Edt: okay, a bit of practice and a few runs later that 18min has become 9:35

BIRRU SAMA PUREEZ HELP ME NAAAAIII
BIL

Post by BIL »

It ain't easy being a glass cannon :wink:
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Not sure if this is the place, but they announced the next Castlevania series will be Rondo of Blood!

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/statu ... 5109061633
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

" An all new series starring Richter Belmont (the son of Sypha and Trevor) and Maria Renard, set in France during the French Revolution, is currently in the works. "

wtf, LORE!?!!?

ahaha. When was the other castlevania animu set?

Anyway here's my best Richter SotN Speedrun after a few hours practice and attempts last week. Won't be doing anymore, restarting the first room after failing one out of 10 blade dashes isn't fun.

https://youtu.be/z92KB2A1uEY
8 min 36 !
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Blinge wrote:" An all new series starring Richter Belmont (the son of Sypha and Trevor) and Maria Renard, set in France during the French Revolution, is currently in the works. "

wtf, LORE!?!!?

ahaha. When was the other castlevania animu set?

Anyway here's my best Richter SotN Speedrun after a few hours practice and attempts last week. Won't be doing anymore, restarting the first room after failing one out of 10 blade dashes isn't fun.

https://youtu.be/z92KB2A1uEY
8 min 36 !
Yeah, it was an error they corrected, still funny though.

The first one was basically Castlevania 3 with dashes of Lament/Curse, without Grant.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shield Rod run is going alright, but was kind of boring using just the buffs so i killed a few winged guards and got my first summoning shield. It's busted powerful already haha

Thing is.. I was trying to grind Skull Lords for the Skull Shield and I got sick of the skinner box very quickly.
turns out there's a luck calculator to track your drop rates.

oh boy! 0.6% chance!

No ty. I said " one more lord, then i'm done."
The shield dropped.

but yeah having to grind drops might be the worst thing about shieldrodrun, I wonder if starting on Luck mode is a better idea?
BIL

Post by BIL »

LCK mode disappointed me, honestly. Drop rates hardly seemed affected at all. Jewel Sword ignores it totally, so forget the simple squirreling pleasure of racking up Diamonds for mad cash. I did notice more Critical Hits, though (splattered Doppeh Boi so violently, I checked the replay suspecting a glitch - turned out the poor lad had taken two crit Daggers in under a second, for comical woodchipper speedkill). As for Al's pitiful starting stats, once I was past Outer Wall, any distinctions from default runs evaporated.

RE its widely reported difficulty: Maybe it's because as a resident of The Hellish Battlefield, I regard SOTN as an action game first and foremost, ie, I know how to kill and not be killed. :cool: Pussy-ass JARbitches coasting by on teh grindan - yeah, they might be FUCC and SHIT OUTTA LCK ;3 Then again they'd probably just grind some more, the sick fucks :shock:

COTM's Thief mode is way more entertaining - the game cums items in your face furiously, every crowd leaves a potpourri of goodies. As ever, I wish Fighter/Thief/Magician/Sniper were distinct character classes, rather than sequential unlocks. The game's far steeper monster curve makes those stat changes a lot more meaningful.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

As I understand it, LCK only increases the drop rate, but has zero effect on the appearance of rare items. I've grinded for the Masamune with and without LCK assistance and received it in largely similar periods of time, certainly within a reasonable margin of error.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

aye, maybe not then.
or maybe LCK mode only to make it harder and force players to use shield rod spells more.

Not that it is harder, as Birru says. It'd probably only affect the very beginning.. before you get the shield rod. :|

(as much as the different class/playstyles are cool in cotm i feel like the first one is the least fun! also i wish the character sprite changed to reflect the different mode, even just a pallette swap. )
BIL

Post by BIL »

I guess they were going for replay value, but yeah - I'd have totally gone with palette-swapped, selectable classes. Actually, ROM space permitting, I'd have made Hugh and Morris selectable Fighter and Mage types, in addition to Nathan's Vampire Killer, with Thief/LCK and Sniper/Subweapon modes available for all three. Whoever's not chosen become the rival and captured character, respectively. (Hugh has basically a full set of frames as-is, and Morris plenty for a non-gameplay character)

(for anyone interested, here's a complete file with all classes unlocked)

Skinnerbox fuckin suck dick. Image Only place I wanna see that is advent calendar-style flourishes, like RE4's obscenely juicy Savini-tier headsplosions. Sweeping the uzi over a crowd of armed cultists, hoo hoo, took that macer's head off, and the sniper's too - oh FML, the sniper grew a dick from his neck stump and is now an advancing tank with a 1HKO bite! That stuff is cool. Cranking a virtual dick for the super bonus load? I'm a man not a mouse you godless animal cunts Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

COTM's Thief playthrough is super entertaining. I don't think it really qualifies as a main mode, because it kinda move focus away from the core gameplay to instead favoring resource management (and somehow encouraging grinding I guess?), but the way it changes the game experience is definitely interesting. COTM is the only game in the series where I really felt like the unlockable alternate modes were fully worth a playthrough, rather than just being a fun gimmick. SOTN Richter is fun, but it's way too obvious the game wasn't balanced around his presence.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So I was merrily flapping about the castle bonking stuff with my ROD.
sometimes summoning my dragon dick to bury itself in a massive sopping wet corpse.

my MP recharged a bit!? is that some passive buff? no idea where that came from, I didn't use an item.

I'm missing like 2 shields but i can't be bothered to grind for them.
Also I tried rod+alucard shielf for the first time, even on my 7th playthrough something like that. Never knew about this, holy shit that's busted :mrgreen:
that's like gas cloud levels of busted but better! i just walked into galamoth and stood at his shin watching him die very quickly.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Been a while since I played SOTN, but doesn't your MP always recharge a tiny bit over time?
Probably really easy to miss.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh sorry, to clarify: it was like a 3rd of the bar and very quickly
BIL

Post by BIL »

Alucard Shield combo is some seriously wrong shit. :lol: I like that it's there, but if ever there was a game with a non-NG+ win button... I completely missed its God Steamroller potential on my first playthroughs, too. Thought it just restored your HP/MP, or some shit. Was perplexed years later to see huffy GameFAQs posters calling out "SHIELD NOOBS." (because SOTN is a toes H4RDCOR3 action game that'll PUSH U2 THA LIMIT if non-cheesed Image Image)

Wait a sec, I just remembered Shield Dong and Alucard Shield are both set drops. :shock: Blimey I guess they had a point. Though I can't recall offhand where the latter is. Sword's in the floating caverns, Mail's in reverse Olrox's, IIRC? I know the AlucarT stuff's in one convenient spot. If the game's LCK stat didn't blow I'd probably use it (hefty LCK boost if you wear the full set, shite everything else).

Rodded Alucard Shield is handy for getting a peek at the game's full set of shields though. Clued me into a couple I'd missed BITD, specifically Medusa and... Skull, I think? Good times. :cool: (I always liked how the Medusa shield cameos her boss sprite from Rondo, presumably fresh off a run-in with Perseus)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

(because SOTN is a toes H4RDCOR3 action game that'll PUSH U2 THA LIMIT if non-cheesed Image Image)
I don't have the ability to introduce arbitrary challenge limitations on myself in games like SOTN and I just end up trying to see how broken and badly the balanced the game really is. Next thing you know I'm running around with a Crissaegrim and Duplicator + Power of Sire just leveling up my familiars for absolutely no reason at all.

Always told myself I would go back one day and try some more balanced setups. Any recommendations for fun and halfway challenging weapons? I'd like to do something that at least requires learning the later boss patterns, but not spend ridiculous amounts of time whittling them down with a tiny dagger or anything.

I know there has to be more to this game than merrily flapping about the castle bonking stuff with my ROD.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sadly, you're not gonna get much challenge out of 90% of SOTN bosses. Maybe Dracula's endgame form - his claw/bite attacks are quick and launched at proximity, though once you know their rhythm/tracking characteristics, they won't hit you.

Shaft puts a lot of shit onscreen, but he's weak and frail enough that brute blunderbussing will suffice. You can dodge everything legit (indeed you can dodge absolutely anything in SOTN - KCET quality Image), but beyond the tight quarters and flashy visuals, they don't amount to much. Not a patch on the riveting Rondo duel (particularly as Richter has to shred his way through the entire CV1 underboss quartet beforehand), let alone the necromantic rematch with its masterful groove-based triple threat (backflip good, or get a Dead Behemoth horn up yer arse!)

Galamoth is the big frightener, but he's 95% endurance. All but one of his patterns are self-explanatorily dodged. The one that isn't - RAITONING SHOWWAAA - creates a massive safespot even my elderly dog could suss out. Mist through and obliterate his nutsack with your bloodiest attacks, mist out as the gap closes, repeat.

Death... looks fuckin cool, but is lame and disgraces his OG sickle dragnet + body ram game. Granfalloon... looks AMAZIN, and possesses what should've been the game's final attack, if you strip him down to the rotten core. Flawlessly evading those green homing lasers while landing counter-strikes is massively cathartic, in a classic scrolling action way that SOTN rarely makes mandatory. I like to deliberately destroy his outer layers, while leaving the core untouched, so we can have a reasonably protracted duel (Christ, this is going sexual :shock:) - though since I'm wearing my brand new Ring of Ares, one of us is gonna die after a few good hits. Nothing like botching a jump, eating a laser, then watching Al's bloody, disintegrating body juggled offscreen in a spearing hail of followups. :cool: JP death scream rocks. OWAAAAAAAAA

Doppy2 can be frisky but will fall to similar air-to-ground overheads as his Normal Castle counterpart. I find it more fun to screw him over with Topaz Circlet and Mirror Cuirass, tbh - his Terminus Est and Stone Sword will be nullified, forcing him to alternate between Diamond snipes and Wing Smashes, not dangerous but certainly lively. Minotaurus and Wolfman get some cred for at least having cool tag-team attacks, though they're every bit the frail minibosses Festival Of Servants pegs them as.

Slogra & Gaibon (all these years, I only just now twigged why they're hanging around Death later on... that there be a Room Of Close Associates, innit?! :o), Lesser Demon, Scylla Wyrm, Scylla, Hippogriff, Cerberus, Darkwing Bat, Medusa, Creature and Akmodan are all trash. There just isn't much there, not even via Richter's glass cannon balance and more restrictive air control. I will say though - they all have the decency to die fast. A good chunk of HOD's boss roster is as bad, or WORSE, and massively padded. Peeping Big is among the most useless pieces of shit in the entire Dracula canon from 1986 to present. Crackin' name though! If you're gonna peep, PEEP BIG

(WHEN PEEPING BIG GOES HORRIBLY WRONG) :oops:

Beelzebub is like a Granfalloon minus the killer last resort. Fun target for chained Wing Smash, meaty AF.

All this said, I always have a wonderful relaxing time with revisits (it's outrageous to describe videogames as anything but relaxation, I know, but self-imposed arcade gauntlets are a different animal entirely, I barely consider them the same hobby :mrgreen:), and I particularly liked my current ruleset:
1) Don't get the early Jewel Knuckles. I'd never have figured out the secret on my own - saw it in an issue of GamePro, like a month before I got my copy. No JKs mean the very nice Basilard aka STAB MACHINE gets more screentime, and I actually use the swords found along the path to the Coliseum (Gladius post-Doppy10, Broadsword from Olrox's ground floor). Coliseum is full of CUT-resistant knights, which is fine, that's where the Shield Rod is. Bonk bonk!

No Beryl Circlet, for the same reason.

2) One save per area visit - no EZ health restores. This means I actually use potions/food (and DAAKO METAMOPHOSIS), which otherwise become totally superfluous. Got fucked up? No food/drugs? Scarper to adjacent area and save there, you shamefur prick!

3) Permanently equip the Ring of Ares ("24" Ring), from the time it's found in the Abandoned Pit. Massive ATK boost + Brutal DEF penalty = ANTI EUROSHMUP TALISMAN. Never grind again ever, but hard hits gon hurt :cool:
As discussed in my most recent travelogue, SOTN guarantees a pretty nice, diverse spread of weaponry and tools to enjoy. I've always loved the Combat Knife + Moon Rod combo. You could easily build a disciplined arcade game around the balance of short-ranged, moderately-powerful, but hellaciously quick stabs, and rangier, slower bonks, plus a finesse shotgun command, that's both an anti-pest room-clearer and a hard target demolisher, depending on inflection.

Between them, the subweapons, spells and Bat/Wolf/Mist tricks, plus that glorious chain-dropkick game, I get that classic SOTN toybox feel with absolutely zero Skinnerboxing. This aspect was the fly in the ointment for a long time, was impressed to see it vanish on this last revisit. Most of the exotic drops aren't that interesting, tbh. Only one I miss is Obsidian Sword, a badass Zweihander whose aerial command thrust has a superb balance of finesse and brute force.

Anyhoo, yeah, that's SOTN for you. EZ to cheese, but there isn't all that much to contend with even fairly. It's all about enjoying that super-smooth engine and sumptuous aesthetic, imo. Despite the near-total lack of hardcore, I'd have to give it a scrolling action Desert Island spot for sure.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Great post, thanks BIL. I guess at the end of the day SOTN will always be about a relaxing joy ride, enjoying the sights and sounds. Some of my favorite parts are in the caverns just riding along with the boatman, even if there are only a few bats to swat here and there, or jumping weightlessly down from the waterfall. This game is nothing if not atmospheric as hell.

Also given the timeframe it released, which was immediately after FF7, it felt like a proper swan song for 2D gaming. I remember picking up a fresh copy on release right after playing through FF7 having been shown a preview of the cinematic future of AAA gaming. SOTN felt like a bit of comfort food for the world weary 2D gamer with its sumptuous sprites. I know for younger gamers with the benefit of hindsight it might seem like, "what are you talking about? 1997 was still a great time for 2D gaming? Metal Slug 3 and SF: Third Strike weren't even out yet!" But the writing was on the wall and it was so good that at least Konami was gonna drop one last masterpiece on a proper console before gaming went full 3D theme park mode. Don't wake me up and show me the future. I'm gonna be inside under a warm blanket with a cup of tea and the shades drawn until I suck every last drop out of this thing.

Also because the internet had not made everything known to all people at all times yet I had no fucking clue about the inverted castle until I figured it out for myself. Imagine that.

Having that sinking feeling that it's all over only to discover you're really just halfway there is one of my all time favorite gaming moments. Today before the game even released headlines would read: Konami announces paid 2nd castle DLC. Free for kickstarter backers who may never even get their codes.
plus that glorious chain-dropkick game
The true end game of SOTN is seeing how long you can stay in the air.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

When the Floor is Lava (tm) appears in game can but respect, and enjoy..

I think sotn can show the faintest glimmer of teeth if you stick only to the main route, and pick up nothing that doesn't cross your path by more than like, a screen. Stays kinda fresh if you do that, provided you remember where to go.

Edit: I've been thinking of recording a casual Alucard speedrun actually.

Nothing impressive, no skips, i don't know any glitches unless you count shield-dashing.
Should I include that in the vid? or keep the movement au naturel.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BIL wrote: (for anyone interested, here's a complete file with all classes unlocked)
Don't mind if I do, thanks. 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Happy I could help :mrgreen: I forget exactly which emulator is was for, IIRC it was VBA... I'm never too up on those things.

Just remembered, I missed out on the Doppelganger Heroes in my SOTN boss rundown. They're kind of a joke too (Festival of Servants: face-melting BGM for underfed bosses), but besides the undeniable frisson of seeing the Akumajou Densetsu quartet rendered in glorious KCETvision, they're at least fun to mess about with. The Rondo/Nocturne guys unmistakably loved their Dracula lore, though Sypha's lightning magic actually does Holy damage. I wonder if it's not meant to be lightning at all. OG one always looked more like bubbles to me. Hm.

Lorewise, I wish this was balanced as an Optional Superboss (IIRC, they actually are optional). Label it Nightmare v2.0 to establish Kayfabe, so Al can believably get thrashed by a 1v3 ambush from his former allies. Shitty zombies can't withstand the Young Nobleman of Sadness.
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

Castlevania used to be a good series of games. Too bad Konami or whoever decided to turn it into some stupid cartoon and make it a gay fanfic for gen z.
Currently Playing:Astebreed,Crimzon Clover, Valhellio
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

xorthen wrote:Castlevania used to be a good series of games. Too bad Konami or whoever decided to turn it into some stupid cartoon and make it a gay fanfic for gen z.
Try the Bloodstained games. It's not real CV, but it's better than the official stuff (IMO).
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

vol.2 wrote:
xorthen wrote:Castlevania used to be a good series of games. Too bad Konami or whoever decided to turn it into some stupid cartoon and make it a gay fanfic for gen z.
Try the Bloodstained games. It's not real CV, but it's better than the official stuff (IMO).
Already played them. I wouldn't say better but they were decent.
Currently Playing:Astebreed,Crimzon Clover, Valhellio
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Of course I don't mean better than classic CV games. I mean better than those which are their contemporaries.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Unofficial homebrew port of Castlevania to Intellivision

Looks impressive, though disc and side buttons aren't exactly ideal (didn't stop me from playing other Inty games, though).