Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by Sumez »

Rastan78 wrote:I have heard IGA was unimpressed by the additions to the Saturn version and doesn't endorse playing that one. Not sure how true that is. I'd be curious to know more about the development of the Saturn version.
Sounds sensible to me. I bought the Saturn version an eternity ago in a previous life because I was so curious about these rumored additions that there was no ther way to experience at the time.
I played the game once and never put it in again outside of as a cool party tricks for other nerds. Playing as Maria was the only real highlight in that version. Of course performance was shit, the extra loading times were annoying, and graphical effects were somehow screwed up, but I also think the new added areas actually drag down the overall experience.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You know what they shoulda done? Used that Red 18 Saturn label for an H-Minigame "WANPAKU MARNY-CHAN'S DOKI-DOKI MAJOU FUCK FEST" ("Naughty Marny-chan's Heart-Pounding Castle Fuck Fest") Image Alan and Richard team up to get our heroine off massively, chivalrously battling not to blow their loads too soon while weathering her entire grimoire of magical S&M - like that fucking cat tickling balls with his tail, and the nip-tweaking bird! :shock: (the cat signs a No Homo waiver beforehand, not the bird though, he's just really fuckin gay :o)
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Holy shit, so the Dead Cells Castlevania DLC is out today! What a nice surprise.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Currently playing COTM and quite enjoying. After the kitchen sink approach of Bloodstsined, it's nice to play something so streamlined. I like how it gives out mobility upgrades relatively early, combined with the surprisingly useful slide, it's pacey and fluid from the off. Map design so far seems great - far from linear l, but s lot less wandering than some of its ilk. Was a bit easy, but I've just beat Adramelech and it's picking up nicely. Only real downsides so far are grinding for cards, and the odd attack launched from completely off-screen.

And that soundtrack.....

Think I gave up on it back in the day because it was basically unplayable on the original GBA.

Just picked up the Dead Cells DLC, may get stuck in after this.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

BEAMLORD wrote:Holy shit, so the Dead Cells Castlevania DLC is out today! What a nice surprise.
Goodbye, world. See you on the other side of this DLC.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Loved the window shatter, very AC Ninja Gaiden :lol:
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Finally finished up all of the GBA Castlevanias recently.

Circle of the Moon - I really appreciate the attempt at making a fusion between classic Castlevania's relative vigor and the easygoing action-RPG formula of SotN, but I don't feel like it was successful. The exploration aspect feels so superfluous that it may as well not exist, with the new abilities you get being boring (one of the pleasures of Metroid-likes is getting new powers that recontextualize your relationship with the environment and don't just feel like lock-and-key busywork; in CotM your rewards for beating bosses include "a switch that opens a door somewhere" and "the ability to push boxes").

More importantly, I don't think the action is very good; the sprawling map means you have both more downtime than even the sparser classic CVs and have more sparsely built stages laden with repetition. High damage, relatively limited screen space, and enemies who have long-range attacks that they can initiate from just past the screen edge (like the swords, jaguars, and hyena snipers in the chapel stage, the ice knights and dark knights in the sewer) mean you have to very slowly creep forward and turtle in a lot of situations because you don't realistically have the option to do anything else.

Also it has to be said that that final Dracula fight is abominable - finally, a last boss to surpass Belmont's Revenge and Dracula X's in misery. The eyeball phase is total nonsense and seems like it's purely designed around lucking into specific card combos to obviate it. The game isn't outright bad, though; there are moments when the appealing core concept shines through and you get neat stuff like the mechanical tower stage or the Death fight. Probably the most interesting of the GBA CVs even if it's not especially good.

Harmony of Dissonance - While CotM feels like a swing and a miss at a unique concept for the series, HoD feels like a point-missing retread. Symphony is easy and imbalanced, but makes up for it with its fantastic, lavishly massive toybox of satisfying and interesting tools, excellent-feeling movement, and the immense variety and charm within its sizeable enemy roster. Harmony largely does away with that, trading much of SotN's appeal to become a trivially easy action-RPG with a spartan toolset and bland mechanics through what is probably the worst world layout I've seen in search action. Its absolutely nonsensical map repeatedly flings you from one random corner to the next, never paying off your endless backtracking with interesting action, curious sights, or cool rewards; even its bosses are total nothings. (Peeping Big was pretty funny though.)

Its double castle layout feels like an aimless aping of Symphony, also - that game's second castle was an interestingly changed-up seek and destroy course meant to be smashed with your powered-up Alucard, as payoff for the gear collecting you'd been doing; Harmony's just provides further dead air to wander through. Here you don't even get the satisfaction of trying out new stuff over the course of the game, as you get nothing aside from the magic subweapons - I'm not sure if this is better or worse than CotM tying its genuinely interesting magic abilities to rare random drops. It also has to be said that this game's soundtrack is kind of a mess; I actually really like the idea of using the original Game Boy synth as heavily as it does, and there are a couple of excellent standout tracks (like the first two area themes) but most of it is kind of unpleasant to listen to. Definitely not as good of a game as Circle.

Aria of Sorrow - The clear best of the GBA entries just by virtue of being a solid SotN followup. Nails like 80% of SotN's great handling (I get why it has more endlag on some of your actions than SotN did but I still think it would feel better without that) and has pretty impressive enemy variety and toolset variety throughout - furthermore, while still overall easy, it has better pacing and ramp-up than Symphony, both in that it gets going reasonably quickly and culminates in some pretty solid stages and boss fights. It's still weaker than that game due to just how much that game gets from its aesthetics and its unbelievable variety, but Aria does a pretty great job of being a scaled-down version of it, at least. I'm looking forward to giving hard mode a try sometime.

-

I've also been playing a bit of the MSX Castlevania, Vampire Killer - actually the very last pre-SotN CV I haven't beaten. It's got some messiness to it but it's a really interesting alternate take on CV1. Close to a proper clear now (the only way to play the game, as it has no continues); if I do get it down I'll have some more to say on it.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

In terms of exploration/navigation, Circle of the Moon gets carried hard by the fact that it has a good wall-jump mechanic. It even has a minor sequence break or two, unlike all the later entries.
Action-wise, I think normal mode is a trashfire and you need to use a completed save to play as the alternate 'classes': Mage, Fighter, Shooter, Thief. For similar reasons I always recommend playing SotN on Luck mode. If you insist on playing CotM on normal mode, then you should at least use the DSS glitch to get all the spells without having to grind a bunch of random drops.

Harmony of Dissonance has easily the best combat mechanics of the three GBAvanias. It's just a shame that everything else about the game is terrible.

I thought Aria of Sorrow was decent when I played it back in 2003. Trying to play it now I can't stand it. Short easy baby game, "Big Blob that Slowly Shifts Left and Right Occasionally Swinging a Big Weapon" describes about half the bossfights. Incredibly basic combat that pretty much boils down to "equip Claim Solais and mash." Awful random drop grind to get usable abilities. Although it could be worse, at least it doesn't make you grind random drops to upgrade weapons like the sequel. It does get bonus points for the super cool storyline, but to actually play, I'll take either of the other two GBA games over Aria.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Aria is definitely a very easy game, as Symphony is, but I don't think it's as thoroughly and consistently nonthreatening as Harmony. HoD really never throws any dangerous enemies at you until whatever that last level with the Simon skeletons is, and the average boss quality is certainly much lower versus even Aria's largely middling lineup.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Aria wins for me just because of the ability-collecting. Puzzling out how to get some of those enemy souls in Aria and Dawn was probably the best part of any of the metroidvanias for me.

ETA: Also doing a firearms-only run is great fun.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Dawn with Definitive Edition patch is fantastic. Gone the fuckery drop rate nonsense (it's still hard to grind souls even with +99 luck) and you can collect all the souls on first playthrough, it's also changed the character portraits to Ayami Kojima style even the new chars gets redrawn by one of the contributors with mimic her artstyle.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Dead Cells' inspired Castlevania DLC was worth buying the game for, it's a really fun throwback, and they clearly did their homework.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:It also has to be said that this game's soundtrack is kind of a mess; I actually really like the idea of using the original Game Boy synth as heavily as it does, and there are a couple of excellent standout tracks (like the first two area themes) but most of it is kind of unpleasant to listen to. Definitely not as good of a game as Circle.
All true. Funnily enough, for a game with notorious music quality, I think Harmony has my favorite remix of Vampire Killer
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

LRG is doing physical versions of the Advance Collection.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Started playing HOD seriously lately since this is the only GBAvania I haven't finish.

Front dash starts grew on me now because your regular running speed is damn slow and filled with easy sponges. Boss battles are fucking joke they'll ready their attack in like solid 3-5 seconds with the worst one being the slime boss so far, just stand still and mash till he dies! Bad things aside I do like experimenting various spellbooks+subweapon special moves, so far fire book+bible being the most broken yet especially for boss fights, with 2-3 spells you can end the fight in mere seconds.

Also the backgrounds work, WOOOO this is like the reason I keep playing HOD till now, some of the boss rooms are peak pixel art goodness and I was mesmerized when I first saw the Gradius-like crystal rooms, they were going hard with the details. I recall there was a site that archives all the background rips of the game but I forget the site (I remember it was posted on the forum before too).
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:22 pmAlso the backgrounds work, WOOOO this is like the reason I keep playing HOD till now, some of the boss rooms are peak pixel art goodness and I was mesmerized when I first saw the Gradius-like crystal rooms, they were going hard with the details. I recall there was a site that archives all the background rips of the game but I forget the site (I remember it was posted on the forum before too).
So many excellent creepy details in HOD's backgrounds; it was genuinely enjoyable playing it again via the M2 Advance collection.

Image Image

^ the first gets a nice riff later on

As always with this game, while its lows are low ("Luminous Cave" BGM and those Witch sprites are the tag team champs of KusoDracula Image), they're easier to forgive in light of its frenzied better takes. Takeshi Takeda worked on this, previously credited for Hard Corps and Vampire Killer on MD; I get the feeling he was responsible for the good stuff. The Cyclops boss even looks like he could've come straight from Hard Corps, with that metallic blue shading and piercing red eye a dead ringer for the HC boss bearing Takeda's name! (Great Takeda Robot's final cyclopean form). Could very easily edit into a brutal robot design.

A lot of those bosses not only suck to fight, they look godawful, too (Peeping Big? Max Slimer? oof! though at least PB's name is cute!). So it's nice that one of them - Legion Corpse - is a super cool horror/fantasy design. :cool:
Minor Boss Spoilers
Don't think I've seen that particular take on the "monstrous womb" before... a dripping labial orifice parting to release pestilence and reveal a reposed skeletal figure, thrashing and screaming when he's struck - neato. Too bad the damn thing amounts to a spooky pinata. Leaves behind a rad enigmatic scene, too:

I know I remember posting such an HOD graphics-appreciating site before, I'll go see if I can dig anything up. I think it may have been Chapel of Resonance? Sadly not around anymore, though maybe the Wayback Machine might help.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

People talked so much trash about HoD that I avoided it for years, only getting to it once I'd beaten all the other GBA vanias. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing, and having played Circle of the Moon on the OG GBA when it came out I fully understand why they overcorrected in that direction with the art.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:55 am People talked so much trash about HoD that I avoided it for years, only getting to it once I'd beaten all the other GBA vanias. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing, and having played Circle of the Moon on the OG GBA when it came out I fully understand why they overcorrected in that direction with the art.
I don't think they overcorrected at all WRT visibility, having played both at release on the original GBA (I'm sure most of this thread could claim the same, the hype and goodwill around these being through the roof at the time; and that is how I was disabused of my faith in EGM :cool: 40/40, seriously? :o). It's just got some fundamentally bad spritework, at least where human figures are concerned. Proportions, poses, animations... Juicy looks nice standing still, like in those GIFs. Well, as nice as Alucard roofied into Richter's loungewear can look.

(when ur wearin ur BF's shirt ^w^ *sniffsniffsniff*) But he runs, jumps, and especially, especially walks like he's shat himself Image And if you told me the Witch was from a canned Amiga port of SOTN from Great Value Soft of Tinkwinkyfordshire GB, I'd totally believe it. From SOTN's 90s anime cutie to a Cabbage Patch Doll riding a baguettte. Image

Might explain why Juicy loses altitude control if you whip during jump ascent. :o

They fared incomparably better on the big, chunky, multi-sprite monstrosities that were Takeda's MD bread and butter. You can tell where the heart and expertise was; when you crash a murderous slab of ice onto a buzzsaw-slinging Discus Lord, flame gouting YGWesque from its buckling joints, its own whiffed strike grinding a hail of sparks even as it "BUWHARRRGs" its last. Absolutely woodening destructive force inherited from SOTN Image

I do like HOD, I just wish it'd come out a year later with the map bloat sanded off, and the handling model cleaned up (see AOS's Julius). And I've just realised I can no longer say it's so nice I bought it thrice (OG NTSCU, sold / GR8 VALUE JP, muh beautiful boxart is ruined! / OG JP, lookin nice Alucard :O) - because now I've bought the fucker four times via the M2 collection. 3:
Last edited by BIL on Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I find HoD to be a nice breathe of fresh air compared to the other two GBA games. Just run and fight. No stupid random cards or souls to grind for. Just keep moving as fast as possible.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

When it comes to the raw mechanics I think HoD is easily the best of the three on the GBA. It just has such lifeless level design.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Trailer for the upcoming Rondo of Blood(prequel?) adaptation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

Looks fantastic, though I'm a bit worried the writing is going to take a step down without Ellis' scripts.
(That random F-bomb felt wildly out of place, for instance.)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SuperDeadite wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:55 am I find HoD to be a nice breathe of fresh air compared to the other two GBA games.
I found the level design to be considerably worse than Circle of the Moon or Aria of Sorrow and actually got lost on where to go on my first playthrough.

Circle of the Moon has some esoteric card combinations to trial and error out but is mostly a successful game, whereas Aria of Sorrow is incredibly well balanced with soul combinations being far more user friendly to play with than the cards were, and absolutely zero grinding is required as all the key weapons that can carry you through the game are guaranteed drops (Whip Sword and Balmung are not difficult to find and they allow you to outrange a lot of enemies). Grinding is really only necessary in Aria of Sorrow if you want a specific enemy soul or are going for full soul completion or something. If you're just doing a playthrough for the sake of beating the game, it doesn't feel particularly grindy to me.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:55 pm
SuperDeadite wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:55 am I find HoD to be a nice breathe of fresh air compared to the other two GBA games.
I found the level design to be considerably worse than Circle of the Moon or Aria of Sorrow and actually got lost on where to go on my first playthrough.

Circle of the Moon has some esoteric card combinations to trial and error out but is mostly a successful game, whereas Aria of Sorrow is incredibly well balanced with soul combinations being far more user friendly to play with than the cards were, and absolutely zero grinding is required as all the key weapons that can carry you through the game are guaranteed drops (Whip Sword and Balmung are not difficult to find and they allow you to outrange a lot of enemies). Grinding is really only necessary in Aria of Sorrow if you want a specific enemy soul or are going for full soul completion or something. If you're just doing a playthrough for the sake of beating the game, it doesn't feel particularly grindy to me.
I feel that Aria is so easy, you need to mess with the souls to have any fun. Circle would be my pick for best of the three, but the random card drops are just something I have no patience for anymore.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

cj iwakura wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:28 pm Trailer for the upcoming Rondo of Blood(prequel?) adaptation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

Looks fantastic, though I'm a bit worried the writing is going to take a step down without Ellis' scripts.
I have little hopes for this, but maybe having Ellis out of the picture will be a big improvement. The previous Castlevania show was absurdly cringeworthy, and I couldn't stand watching more than the first season.

EDIT: Also, regarding the "prequel" thing, I'd be very surprised if they don't use this opportunity to lead up to covering SOTN in a future season. The title "Nocturne" seems to be a pretty clear indication that that's their plan.
Last edited by Sumez on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

SuperDeadite wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:06 pm I feel that Aria is so easy, you need to mess with the souls to have any fun. Circle would be my pick for best of the three, but the random card drops are just something I have no patience for anymore.
Out of the three, Circle is the only one that really perfects its formula I think. It knows what it wants to do and does it well.
HoD felt like a fresh take at the time, returning to the more open-ended "metroidvania" which at the time was the first time we'd seen that since SOTN, but it fails on so many other accounts. Following that, Aria felt more in line with what SOTN did, but how easy the game is to just steamroll really held it back. I don't think that formula really found a solid groove until Dawn of Sorrow.

All good games though.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Sumez wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:54 am
cj iwakura wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:28 pm Trailer for the upcoming Rondo of Blood(prequel?) adaptation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

I have little hopes for this, but maybe having Ellis out of the picture will be a big improvement. The previous Castlevania show was absurdly cringeworthy, and I couldn't stand watching more than the first season.

EDIT: Also, regarding the "prequel" thing, I'd be very surprised if they don't use this opportunity to lead up to covering SOTN in a future season. The title "Nocturne" seems to be a pretty clear indication that that's their plan.
That's strange, since I thought(like most) that the dialogue was the best part of the original series. I didn't like S3/4 as much as 1/2, but even that had strong moments like Isaac shooting the breeze and philosophizing with random demons.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The dialogue felt like it was written by a teenager. That inappropriate and unnecessary F-bomb that you pointed out in the Nocturne trailer is pretty much what everything in that previous series felt like to me.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I only watched the first two seasons, but I thought it was mostly pretty stupid.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Sumez wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 pm The dialogue felt like it was written by a teenager. That inappropriate and unnecessary F-bomb that you pointed out in the Nocturne trailer is pretty much what everything in that previous series felt like to me.
The previous series had moments like that, true, but it also had moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gJKiAoy4o

Just two amazing actors chewing scenery and letting the dialogue breathe.

"Little Godbrand. Little vampire. Little Parasite."

It makes Dracula more nuanced and interesting as a character than the games ever did(low bar, but still).