First/third-person shooters with scoring

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ghegs

Re: First/third-person shooters with scoring

Post by Ghegs »

The Club is Steam's Deal of the Day for a whooping $2 if anybody wants to give it a shot. I still think it's a fairly decent game.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ghegs wrote:Rather surprisingly the new Alan Wake's American Nightmare has an arcade mode. In it you have to survive for 10 real-life minutes, killing enemies increases your multiplier while getting hit lowers it. But you apparently have to play the story mode to unlock weapons to use in arcade mode. There are ten stages to choose from.
Isn't it by the makers of Max Payne? If so, hardly surprising.
There are numerous arcade-style challenges in Dead Space: Extraction and God of War I&II. Onimusha 3 and Way of the Samurai have pretty fun training modes (2 player duelling possible in WotS and I might have read about such duelling as a feature in Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams). Not exactly shooters, but hey.
Found this video yesterday.
Well, Urban Chaos: Riot Response is quite arcadey (comedy way). Shame it's not on the PC, but maybe the mouse and keyboard controls would make it too easy. If you must play one last gen first person shooter with a joypad, make it Urban Chaos: Riot Response (rather than Black).
How could I forget about Snake vs. Monkey of MGS3? Possibly because the main game is less arcadey than MGS1&2. There's the boss rush mode too, but I don't feel like battling The End for speed. Actually playing games of sneaking for speed is not my thing (the biggest fault I found with Manhunt).
Is there any shooting in Trap Gunner?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Syndicate has scoring in both single-player and multi-player.
:lol:
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Rather surprisingly the new Alan Wake's American Nightmare has an arcade mode. In it you have to survive for 10 real-life minutes, killing enemies increases your multiplier while getting hit lowers it. But you apparently have to play the story mode to unlock weapons to use in arcade mode. There are ten stages to choose from.
Isn't it by the makers of Max Payne?
Alan Wake is made by Remedy (Max Payne/Max Payne 2).

Quite contrary to Max Payne 3 which is made by Rockstar Games (GTA/Red Dead Redemption). Nevertheless Max Payne 3 has a solid arcade mode with various options and leaderboards.

I think most of these have already been listed:
Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Bulletstorm, CoD MW (arcade mode), CoD Black Ops (zombies), The Club, Gears of War 2/3 (horde), Halo 3/ODST/Reach (campaign scoring/firefight), Max Payne 1/2 (Dead man walking, New York minute), Max Payne 3 (arcade mode), Vanquish…
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ghegs wrote:The Club is Steam's Deal of the Day for a whooping $2 if anybody wants to give it a shot. I still think it's a fairly decent game.
Shit, does it use Microsoft Live though? If somebody's playing it I might go ahead and load it up sometime. It always pissed me off that online was completely dead when I bought it, not all that long after release (like a year or two).
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Ghegs wrote:The Club is Steam's Deal of the Day for a whooping $2 if anybody wants to give it a shot. I still think it's a fairly decent game.
Shit, does it use Microsoft Live though? If somebody's playing it I might go ahead and load it up sometime.
It does use Games For Windows Live, yes. And if I recall, there was some stupid update bug that I had to manually fix before the game would even start, I think it was related to the Live service. But it was pretty simple with instructions. Give me a holler and I'll play a game or two with ya.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I've been playing Xybots in MAME quite a bit lately. It's pretty fun and interesting.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Khan

Post by Khan »

yea i managed to bag the club on the steam deal cant argue for £1.99 its more expensive to buy a bottle of water in some places around here!
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'd be happy to play some of The Club online via GFWL sometime (I've got GFWL updated and know how to make it work at least). I'll first probably spend a day to make sure I'm back up to speed on the mechanics and to refresh my memory of some skullshot locations.

It's always bugged me that the offline play component will limit you to only about 550G. I'm not sure how many people you need online at the same time for all the modes, however. A few might just require two people but at least four seems necessary for some team modes. It would be nice to finally unlock some of those basic multiplayer Achievements; I think there is one called "Welcome to the Club" that I didn't get because of the lack of multiplayer matches.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Panzer Dragoon Zwei can be pretty intense playing for score.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'd consider Panzer Dragoon a rail-shooter, rather than a first/third-person shooter.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Jak II, among other challenges scattered all over the shop, has got a rifle-range, superior to (in my seasoned memories of both anyway) and predating the ones to be found in RE4. Rather than a separate game mode, it's just one of many things to do for 100% completion. The gunplay itself is most patterned upon the PSX game One, interestingly enough (worked for me as Jak II didn't give me any serious camera troubles).
In hindsight, the aforementioned Total Overdose is structured not quite unlike Jak II, except unlike the latter jack-of-all-trades, Total Overdose is a Max Payne clone disguised as GTAIII clone. Bear in mind, in Total Overdose mouse & keyboard are where it's at.
One thing Jak II excelled at was the vehicular action (jacking them vehicles mid-air was a corker). I wish Jak X (pretty good as is - make no mistake - just flawed) was about this feature. It helped that the vehicles in Jak II had most dreamy designs. Star Wars-attractive dare I say. The cream of the crop.
Speaking of which, while not exactly a third PERSON shooter, Rogue Squadron II is, in a way, the ultimate shmup. I can't think of another space combat 3D game this arcadey, with a notable exception of Freelancer, but the latter is more of a "GTA meets Diablo in space", whereas in Rogue Squadron II you MUST play for the score to unlock the whole content (think F-Zero GX; I know some people may wince).
The way out is cut off

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Speaking of Total Overdose, it also has sort-of sequel for PSP called Chili Con Carnage, should be similar gameplay-wise (and scoring), but from what I know, they removed the free-roam part instead.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Painkiller keeps high scores for all the various mission stats (time, # of kills, secrets found, etc) so while not a unified score, you can still set goals to overcome.

Same with the original Aliens vs Predator
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The Regiment (also, Rainbow Six and SWAT, but The Regiment seems faster-paced to me).
Note that even the dificulty level is labelled "Arcade". It's a game of very brief missions.
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Max Payne 3 has some arcade modes to it with scoring. It's also on 75% Steam sale at the moment.

My videos
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3's Chaos mode is based on scoring and has chaining, multipliers, etc.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Serious Sam 1 & 2 series particularly has a scoring system btw.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Khan

Post by Khan »

tinotormed wrote:Serious Sam 1 & 2 series particularly has a scoring system btw.
Part 3 also has one, going through the game right now with a friend.
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

Brasseye

Post by Brasseye »

50 Cent Blood on the Sand is hilarious in co-op and a solid game. Edge gave it a 7.
Think of the worst Blackwater video you've seen then imagine 50 Cent starring in it.
The Club is awesome.
Bulletstorm is better than The Club.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Does The Club really have broken mouse aiming?
Ordered RE4 Wii for what I assume to be the ultimate Mercenaries.
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Does The Club really have broken mouse aiming?
Not that I've heard or experienced.

My videos
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Nope, some people just don't like the aim control.

Sheesh, we talked about playing this online a while back, and I forgot about it. Ditto for some races and stuff :oops:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Brasseye wrote:50 Cent Blood on the Sand is hilarious in co-op and a solid game. Edge gave it a 7.
Think of the worst Blackwater video you've seen then imagine 50 Cent starring in it.
obligatory link (not Blood on the Sand, one of his earlier releases)
Brasseye

Post by Brasseye »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Brasseye wrote:50 Cent Blood on the Sand is hilarious in co-op and a solid game. Edge gave it a 7.
obligatory link (not Blood on the Sand, one of his earlier releases)
Obligatory Blackwater clip
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard Gears of War Judgment has scoring.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Do vehicle-based TPS count? If so, things like Thunder Wolves, Dogfight 1942 and Strike Suit Zero/Infinity (Infinity's better, in this case) are fairly good nominations, even complete with multipliers and whatnots.
Both Thunder Wolves and Dogfight 1942 have local multiplayer modes, but no online sadly.

Also, Incoming series.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Gespenst wrote:Do vehicle-based TPS count?
Sure, why not? Thunder Wolves looks decent enough, is it any good?

I wish there was a Strike Suit Zero mode that has Infinity's scoring mechanism but isn't actually infinite...I don't find marathon gaming fun at all.

My videos
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Ghegs wrote:
Sure, why not? Thunder Wolves looks decent enough, is it any good?
Sorta decent, although a bit short (12-13 level-ish, but still quite fun IMHO), and most of time the game area's fairly limited (invisible walls prevent you from stray too far from mission objective). Some missions have on-rails shooting section, and there's another mission where you drive a tank instead of heli.

On the good side, in multiplayer coop, one player acts as heli pilot while the second player is the gunner.