First/third-person shooters with scoring

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ghegs

First/third-person shooters with scoring

Post by Ghegs »

That Xotic thread got me wondering what other non-shmup games offer the possibility for score play (outside multiplayer kill scores and such). I don't play these genres much, so I could've easily missed something fun.

I know of:

Bulletstorm (PC, PS3, XBox360) - FPS that rewards players with points for performing increasingly ludicrous kills, as Wikipedia puts it.
Resident Evil - RE4 and RE5 have a score-based Mercenaries mode, plus there's RE: The Mercenaries for 3DS that's all about that mode.
The Club (PC, PS3, XBox360) - third-person shooter with lots of short stages, not unlike a caravan game.
Xotic (PC) - FPS with lots of short stages, again sort of Caravan-like.

What else?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Siren2011
Banned User

Re: First/third-person shooters with scoring

Post by Siren2011 »

P.N.03 for Gamecube. It's pretty much impossible to ignore scoring in that game, as it's so addictive. Also, Gunvalkyrie for Xbox. Both are third person shooters with emphesis on scoring. And IIRC, Steel Battalion does feature scoring to a minimal degree.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Most mainstream FPS ones I guess; Halo 3:ODST and Halo Reach Firefight modes have scoring systems, but the "level/wave design" is very basic.

edit:

Oh yeah, Vanquish certainly has a scoring system and end bonuses for levels etc. Too bad there are random item drops and they cover most of all weapons you get, could've been fun to score attack otherwise. Challenge mode is time attack only. The main game feels like it has an emphasis on speed and score attacking but the randomness ruins it.
Last edited by Zaarock on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I THINK Vanquish has scoring, but I only played the demo so I'm not sure.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
louisg

Post by louisg »

DK Jungle Beat's got a chaining system that's pretty fun. ExciteTruck also features a star system that shows how many tricks you've done on a track. I'd assume a game like Tony Hawk would have something similar too, though I haven't played those a whole lot.

We're not mentioning classics, right?

EDIT: ARGH I didn't see the word "shooter" in the title :) Oh well, those are still good games to try!
Last edited by louisg on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humans, think about what you have done
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Serious Sam (the first) + 2nd Encounter. It's not elaborate like Bulletstorm, The Club ect,but each enemies type is worth a specific amount of point and there's an end-of-level bonus for time. The original Xbox port added point items hidden through the levels and a multiplier if you killed more than one enemy at the same time.

Serious Sam II has a scoring system too but I don't remember the specifics since I haven't played it in a while (and it's not very good anyway).
Austin

Post by Austin »

The Grid, the arcade game by midway. Pretty sure it has scoring. Likewise with the similar game put out around the same time period as Atari Games (I think it was called "WAR"? Don't remember the name exactly).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

There's an arcadey mode unlockable in Max Payne (PC) testing for how long you can survive.
Tsukiyo Ni Saraba has chaining, but I don't know much about the way score system works in that game. I liked it better than Gungrave.
There is some combo counter in Total Overdose (the best version is the PC one, just like max Payne), but then again, I'm not sure how much of a score system is there at work.
Silent Bomber is not a shooter, but it's a TPP action game.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

TimeSplitters has all of those challenge modes, and so does Red Dog
Humans, think about what you have done
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Austin wrote: Likewise with the similar game put out around the same time period as Atari Games (I think it was called "WAR"? Don't remember the name exactly).
War: Final Assault?

Speaking of arcade FPSeses, Half Life 2: Survivor also seems to have some basic scoring.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Wolfenstein 3D has score, but it is pretty uninteresting.
Ghegs wrote:Resident Evil - RE4 and RE5 have a score-based Mercenaries mode, plus there's RE: The Mercenaries for 3DS that's all about that mode.
This mode is not in the German version of the games, at least not RE4, but I am sure 5 neither, on the grounds that you get rewarded for killing! WITH MONEY!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

ptoing wrote:This mode is not in the German version of the games, at least not RE4, but I am sure 5 neither, on the grounds that you get rewarded for killing! WITH MONEY!
For real? You have to finish 4 once on any difficulty setting to unlock Mercenaries. This mode is easily the best thing about RE4. I assume most Germans imported it, then?
I don't recally Mercenaries being about money rewards. It gives you stars instead.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Rage, the new FPS from id apparently has score-centric extra modes, but they appear to be multiplayer only. That's a bummer.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Xotic is out on XBLA, but I guess it's been out on steam for awhile? Anyone tried it yet?

Waiting on the 1.7GB download, so I should have it sometime next week. :P
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Would Cannon Spike fit the criteria?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Don't many of those "survive waves of enemies" modes in FPSs have scoring systems? I know the one in Timesplitters 2 did.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Wolfenstein 3D, the grandfather of FPS-es. You score for killing Nazis and picking up treasures.

I'd also count Rise of the Triad either, even if it is exclusive to PC.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Call of Duty 4's Arcade mode (unlocked after completing campaign) always goes strangely ignored.

I believe it has multipliers for killing lots of dudes in quick succession. You even have a limited life stock.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Rather surprisingly the new Alan Wake's American Nightmare has an arcade mode. In it you have to survive for 10 real-life minutes, killing enemies increases your multiplier while getting hit lowers it. But you apparently have to play the story mode to unlock weapons to use in arcade mode. There are ten stages to choose from.

My videos
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Scoring well (namely by milking the matcens/generators) is pretty important in Descent in single player, especially on Insane difficulty where shit turns bullet hell. Every 50k extends I think. Awesome zero-G FPS, such a classic.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

(IIRC) I read that Codemasters FPS, Bodycount has scoreplay in some form
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I have never played Xotic, ANY Timesplitters, or this Bodycount, I'm going to go purify myself now for I feel I have lost my FPS cred

actually I will probably find and play CIA Operative: Solo Missions instead.

in the meantime, it might be useful to note that if you buy The Club for PC, you will not be able to get half of the achievements - there is no more online multiplayer. I thought that the Blood Stone James Bond game had something similar to The Club's style of gameplay and scoring, from what I've heard.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I think my trip to the grocery store today qualifies as an FPS with scoring. Confronted by a wall of tomato soup, the scores worked thus:

1. A big can of soup is worth less than the sum cost of equivalent small cans of soup.
2. The small cans of soup are on sale, but only if I buy at least 5 of them.
3. An off-brand small soup costs more than the name brand, yet gives double bonus to discount gasoline program.

Clearly a scheme devised by Yagawa. Also: screaming toddlers serve as good popcorn enemies. :twisted:
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I thought that the Blood Stone James Bond game had something similar to The Club's style of gameplay and scoring, from what I've heard.
Oh? That would be neat, I really like The Club's mechanics but the overabundance of characters (that differ from each other only slightly) and stages is kind of overwhelming. Would be nice to see those mechanics applied to a game that's more focused. I looked up some vids of Blood Stone and didn't see any scoreplay though, can you elaborate?

My videos
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Don't know about Blood Stone, but 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand is apparently heavily inspired by The Club, scoring system included.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

So I see, it even looks like it even the same engine. It actually looks kind of good, but since it didn't get a PC port (The Club is much more enjoyable to play with a keyboard/mouse combo) and I learned from watching another video of it that you can always reload a checkpoint without any penalties which rather destroys scoreplaying, I doubt I'll be getting a copy, though.

Not to mention the fact that I'd be utterly embarrassed to buy anything with 50 Cent's name on it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

DAT BITCH TOOK MAH SKULL! >:[ /obligatory
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ghegs wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:I thought that the Blood Stone James Bond game had something similar to The Club's style of gameplay and scoring, from what I've heard.
Oh? That would be neat, I really like The Club's mechanics but the overabundance of characters (that differ from each other only slightly) and stages is kind of overwhelming. Would be nice to see those mechanics applied to a game that's more focused. I looked up some vids of Blood Stone and didn't see any scoreplay though, can you elaborate?
Bah...what I remember (which may or may not be true) is somebody on the Bizarre Creations website saying that playing Blood Stone would be like old times (The Club). I think that maybe it's just based on the same engine, and of course the same developer, but without the scoring mechanics.

Some interesting stuff here.

Also, according to a user named niptuck117 on GameSpot, Blood Stone was terrible compared to Quantum of Solace. If so...I'd stay away; QoS was no great shakes.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Halo 3 has a score-attack mode.
:lol: