Jasrac Label - PlayStation Bootlegs?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Jasrac Label - PlayStation Bootlegs?

Post by BIL »

Has anyone heard of a "Jasnac" label, in either games or music CDs? My discs from the NTSCJ PSOne Books budget line (MGS Integral, Gradius Gaiden and Dracula X/SOTN) have a tiny imprint of this logo, as do all the manuals' fine print (alongside the usual Konami and Sony trademarks). All were bought new+sealed from Genki Videogames (UK).

They're also silver-backed, but I'd heard of other latter-day PS1 and PS2 reprints being the same, so I doubt that means much in itself.

Googling in English I can't seem to find much info on "Jasnac" besides the name being on some Japanese Beatles releases, and more obscure music claimed as "exclusively licensed" for Japan. Forum comments on the albums range from "LOL they're boots" to "they only look like boots, sucks about that logo," no detailed answers.

Did Sony/Konami license out the print runs of these discs, or are they really knockoffs? Since they perform identically to my black disc originals, I'm more curious than anything. All printed materials, disc labels and seals were virtually indistinguishable from official stuff, too - quite purdy in fact. Thanks for any information!

edit: doh, it's actually JasRAC. Stupid logo. >_>
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
xbl0x180

Re: Jasnac Records - PlayStation Bootlegs?

Post by xbl0x180 »

BIL wrote:Has anyone heard of a "Jasnac Records," involving either games or music CDs? I noticed the other day, all three of my games from the Japanese PSOne Books re-release label (MGS Integral, Dracula X/SOTN and Gradius Gaiden) have a tiny imprint of the below logo on the discs, as well as buried in all the usual fine print in the instructions (along with the expected Konami, Sony and all associated trademark notices). All were bought new+sealed from Genki Videogames (UK).

They're also silver-backed, but I'd heard of other latter-day PS1 and PS2 reprints being the same... Googling in English I can't seem to find much info on "Jasnac" besides the name being on some Japanese Beatles releases, and some other much more obscure music with claims of being "exclusively licensed" to the label for Japan. Forum comments on the albums range from "LOL they're boots" to "they only look like boots, sucks about that logo."

Did Sony/Konami license out the print runs of these discs, or are they really knockoffs? Since they perform identically to my old black disc originals, down to the load times, I'm more curious than anything (all printed materials, disc labels and seals were virtually indistinguishable from official stuff, too - quite purdy in fact). Thanks for any information!

They're more like the Japanese version of the RIAA :twisted:

http://www.jasrac.or.jp/ejhp/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_S ... Publishers
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh, I see... thanks man, this clears everything up.
JASRAC and MEXT have an interlocking relationship, and some of the bureaucrats of MEXT sometimes parachute into JASRAC.
Hardcore. :shock: Will load my rifle and put on the searchlights. I will defend my games from MEXT bastards! ( :lol: )
CIT

Post by CIT »

xbl0x180 wrote:They're more like the Japanese version of the RIAA :twisted:
Actually, the US equivalent is ASCAP.
Ganelon

Re: Jasrac Label - PlayStation Bootlegs?

Post by Ganelon »

JASRAC is a pretty good sign the game is actually legit since I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone bother to reproduce that sticker.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Most of the bootlegs made in the PS1-era went way out of their way to cover up any company logos. It's like they wanted to shout out to you "HEY THIS IS A BOOTLEG AND WE'RE PROUD OF IT" or something. Even more funny was when they replaced logos with their own, like they weren't satisfied with just pirating the game, they wanted you to believe they made it as well.

Newer made bootlegs don't always do that anymore, and can be plenty stealthy about it. (PCE Sapphire being one of the more notorious examples).

Do you have access to a Japanese PS1 or PS2 (which should load the game without a boot disc)? I'm not aware of any PS1 bootlegs that will work without a boot disc.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep, all discs work fine in my NTSCJ PS1. I didn't think anything of them until I noticed that logo the other day. Pretty sure they're official now, having read up on JASRAC.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

CIT wrote:
xbl0x180 wrote:They're more like the Japanese version of the RIAA :twisted:

Heheh. That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction :mrgreen:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Why did I mis-read that as JARSAC? >_>
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

this :) I used to work for the UK equivalent (MCPS) and paid them a visit when i got here :)
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."