Post your flavor of the month VG music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
iconoclast

Re: Post your flavor of the month VG music

Post by iconoclast »

Been playing Steel Battalion lately. I still love the OST. I need to record some gameplay and make mp3s of some of the songs since the soundtrack was never released (as far as I know). The intro theme and 2080 campaign credits are especially good.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I know I'm an incorrigible sucker for SFC/SNES music, but damn, I love Super Turrican's soundtrack (Stage 2-2, Stage 3-1, Stage 4-2). I really don't mind that the game ends prematurely with the alien lair, always seemed like an appropriate conclusion to the game to me. Mega Turrican is obviously a fantastic game, too, but I have to confess that I slightly prefer Super Turrican. :)
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Speaking of great SFC tracks: Seiken Densetsu 3's Electric Talk is magnificent. Love the build-up, the looming feel of urgency, the tangible tension. Game has a vast selection of superb tunes, this one's by far my favourite, however.
BIL

Post by BIL »

OMFG, I knew Abarenbou Tengu/Zombie Nation had killer BGM but didn't know it got a shaweet official release from Clarice Disc (on their ROM Cassette Disc in Meldac comp). Well-deserved! Not an instantly catchy OST - but give it a go if you dig heavy, complex, aggressive and offbeat oldschool VGM. Battering energy channeled through elaborate, often furiously angular compositions gives an almost thrash feel. I recommend starting with the first of its stage BGMs (the attract/title stuff is good too, but doesn't leap out as much): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGoZ5QKUoY&t=9m20s

Probably the game's most conventionally anthemic tune ; the spiralling dual lead and pummeling fills could've come straight from early Iron Maiden or Megadeth. I wonder what Norio Nakagata's influences were like. He also worked at KID - fans of Recca's OST will notice lots of tonal similarities.

Game itself has a willfully terrible case of black ice inertia skid, but it's still worth at least a brief ROM deco (video conveys nothing of wrestling against its deranged maelstrom). A true one-off.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The Rom Cassette Disc in MELDAC compilation is pretty fricken sweet too, with the Mercenary Force and Mercenary Force 2 soundtracks on there as well. Also includes the GB Heiankyo Alien soundtrack if you're into that ;)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh god yeah, Clarice have been amazing with these comps. Image Picking this one up along with the Sunsoft and Natsume ones for sure.

---

Aww sheeeit! Clarice Disc strikes again! These guys' catalogue is one dream release after another, I'm almost not surprised any more.

Contains a whole lot of good stuff, but my main attractions by far are Senjou no Okami II MD and Bionic Commando GB. Can't recall either getting proper releases before. Killer soundtracks, both.

FEEL THIS MANLY ACTION BGM
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gawd I love AMAZING PENGUIN and its OST. Listen to that first stage BGM, it's outta control! (you need to experience it in-game with Penguin's arm-flapping, hat-bobbing run animation for the full effect, though :mrgreen: )

Whole soundtrack is on one of the Natsume Clarice comps, either first or second. What a lovely little game.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAnRIO7Ogo&t=47m46s

Amazing remix of stage 3 from Soukyugurentai. When that bass comes in... :shock:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh god damn, that is killer and it's totally on the soundtrack reissue from a few years back! Never got around to trying out those arrange tracks, well spotted.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I would also like to share this link, before I forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFwKkxcmq4

A medley of a few Dragon Spirit tracks remixed using an... OPN soundchip? I'm not sure what the author is saying in the description, but his arrangements are matches for a gasoline-soaked soul.

And this, the intro breakbeat from the newly-dumped prototypical fighting game Kenju:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7heOIzS6ZnY&t=25s
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ZacharyB wrote:I would also like to share this link, before I forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFwKkxcmq4

A medley of a few Dragon Spirit tracks remixed using an... OPN soundchip? I'm not sure what the author is saying in the description, but his arrangements are matches for a gasoline-soaked soul.
Yup, it's definitely an OPNA (YM2608), well-known for it's use in the PC-98x1 series of computers and the Sound Board II for the PC-8801 series.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
CIT

Post by CIT »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ys8TfcBIws

Can't really think of any other FM tunes that get me quite as pumped up as Flame Zapper Kotsujin's.

Amazing stuff, like Toaplan, but even better, if that's possible! :shock: It's like aural cocaine! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Another great one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgWVJrmNWEs
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've been spending a lot of time with the soundtrack from FTL: Faster Than Light this month. Very laid back which was great for my studies - now just enjoy it when wandering the streets. Between this and Danny Baranowski, I've been quite impressed with what I'm finding in the indie scene lately.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Guys help, I need reference material for music that sounds actiony (fitting for a shmup first stage) yet melancholic and elegiac.

Think Kamui and RefleX's ost. Or parts of Raystorm's ost. Or the opening Sakuraba track on Sound Module Maniax. Stuff like that.

I need to show it to someone for purposes. Something special is on the way.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Completely offhand, Ninja Cop Saizou (FC)'s overworld BGM has always stood out to me as a moodily turbulent tune deserving of a better game. The opening is a little plinky-plonky, but from there it really picks up.

Oh also, I seem to remember it being a cover of an existing game's song (will rack my brain a bit)... but regardless, the hidden tune at the very end of Psyvariar 2's OST has an electric, driven sorrow that wouldn't sound out of place in Kamui itself.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Or the opening Sakuraba track on Sound Module Maniax.
Oh hell yes, "Reminiscence" is an absolute gem. Imma blast it right now.
Squire Grooktook

OOSH, That Psyvariar track is great. I'll be listening to this for a while as well as adding it to the list. Thanks.

Any other recommendations appreciated!
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, tracked down its source. It's a chiptune-style version of the loading BGM from Psyvariar Revision's PS2 port. Good stuff indeed, very cool of them to give it a little love on the sequel's OST. I was wondering for a sec if it'd come from one of the PCE Soldier games.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Guys help, I need reference material for music that sounds actiony (fitting for a shmup first stage) yet melancholic and elegiac.

Think Kamui and RefleX's ost. Or parts of Raystorm's ost. Or the opening Sakuraba track on Sound Module Maniax. Stuff like that.

Gun Frontier - Desert Storm
Hyper Duel - Cyber Fleet (It's more ominous than anything)
Chou Jikuu Yousai Macross - Stage 3
Dragon Spirit - Volcano
Rapid Hero - Stage 2, 4
Raiden 2 - Repeated Tragedy
Broken Thunder - Moon of Mind
Castlevania Bloodlines - Iron-Blue Intention
Metal Black - A Mirage of Mind
Night Striker - URBAN TRAIL
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Guys help, I need reference material for music that sounds actiony (fitting for a shmup first stage) yet melancholic and elegiac.
I'm personally pretty fond of the stage 1 theme of GalaX (sorry, couldn't find any videos besides gameplay ones). The whole soundtrack overall has very melancholic and understated feel to it.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Ebbo wrote:I'm personally pretty fond of the stage 1 theme of GalaX (sorry, couldn't find any videos besides gameplay ones). The whole soundtrack overall has very melancholic and understated feel to it.
Here's the full soundtrack, it comes with the game. High On Blue, Over Technology & Fatal Error are pretty sweet.
edit: seems to be some crackling on ogg versions of some tracks, not sure if there's a dl for the game without them

Galactic Storm - Protmind (Arrange)
Squire Grooktook

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
This was so gorgeous that I had to use it in my video.

That's not why I asked for these, though.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match OST
The arranged versions in this game are actually pretty awesome. :shock:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

I've been appreciating the Minishoter RS Delta soundtrack for a good while now.
My favorite song is probably just the first level theme, heh. Windslaughter is a close second, but maybe thats just the name skewing my view.
Play for fun and win when you can.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Title song from Ecco Tides of Time, great stuff.
Squire Grooktook

BIL wrote:an electric, driven sorrow
Late and completely forgot about it, but "Opening 3" from the obscure SFC rts First Queen fits this criteria perfectly imo.

Rest of the ost is good too. Battle with Galois is an sfc battle-rock standout.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

These two OSTs helped me appreciate AC Joint Assault more despite its shortcomings and bosses fucking Varcolac too much relying on physics haxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1CVbW9r6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7wB3ik0W_U
KAI

Post by KAI »

Ace Combat 3 - Montage
2 days till the english patch
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://drinkbox.bandcamp.com/album/gua ... soundtrack
Awesome Mexican beats. Game is pretty neat, if a bit repetitive.