The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Post by Blinge »

Bruv what are you on.. the Strange Journey OST is incredible. I absolutely love it..
I experienced it mostly with headphones though, i don't think the tiny 3DS speakers do it justice.

The battle system is boring?? it's almost the same as SMTIV as far as I can see.
Just co-op attacks instead of press turn. I get that that's a pretty big difference but at its core it's still SMT.

The general consensus is a couple of crusties in this thread who don't like the new art or field-save option.
The VA (japanese only) seems decent enough. I don't speak JP so i wouldn't know.

I also genuinely love the little tactile things.. the way the menus sound and feel to navigate, I really have fond memories of my first playthrough of that game. Can't stress it enough.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but the release of Soul Hackers 2 gave me the urge to chart the various branches of this series going back to the original novel. It makes sense to ME, though I don't know if that carries over to anyone else.

I put on every game that has an English version (official or fan) and a couple Japanese-exclusives that are vital connective tissue (eg Devil Summoner). Since it's game-focused I left off other media aside from the first book trilogy. I also didn't include Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I guess because I think of that as part of the Fire Emblem family, and Jack Bros, because I wasn't sure where to put it. :mrgreen:
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
bottino

Post by bottino »

Blinge wrote:Bruv what are you on.. the Strange Journey OST is incredible. I absolutely love it..
I experienced it mostly with headphones though, i don't think the tiny 3DS speakers do it justice.

The battle system is boring?? it's almost the same as SMTIV as far as I can see.
Just co-op attacks instead of press turn. I get that that's a pretty big difference but at its core it's still SMT.

The general consensus is a couple of crusties in this thread who don't like the new art or field-save option.
The VA (japanese only) seems decent enough. I don't speak JP so i wouldn't know.

I also genuinely love the little tactile things.. the way the menus sound and feel to navigate, I really have fond memories of my first playthrough of that game. Can't stress it enough.
Yeah, Strange Journey is amazing. And about the OST: it's hard to describe, but there's a certain melancholy(?) that permeates it while still encouraging you to move forward no matter what. You have to take your time to appreciate it.

I haven't played Deep Strange Journey yet, so I can't really comment about it.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Strange Journey is a 10/10 game and the remake, Deep Strange Journey, is still a 10/10. It's just the same game but with a plethora of extra features. It does include some shit that can make the game too easy for veterans, but you can disable all of it IIRC. One nice addition to Deep Strange Journey are some abilities for your main character to make him a little more useful. Aside from item spamming and demon summoning, the main character in vanilla SJ is kinda worthless. I mean, it definitely plays into the atmosphere and you'll have to decide yourself if you think it's a net positive to make him stronger, or a net negative for the tone of the game.

Regardless, Strange Journey is way fucking better than any SMT game made after SMT IV.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Mortificator wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but the release of Soul Hackers 2 gave me the urge to chart the various branches of this series going back to the original novel. It makes sense to ME, though I don't know if that carries over to anyone else.

I put on every game that has an English version (official or fan) and a couple Japanese-exclusives that are vital connective tissue (eg Devil Summoner). Since it's game-focused I left off other media aside from the first book trilogy. I also didn't include Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I guess because I think of that as part of the Fire Emblem family, and Jack Bros, because I wasn't sure where to put it. :mrgreen:
Very thorough, and pretty accurate.

I like SH2 so far, though some things feel oddly simplified(namely negotiation), so it's hard to say how I feel just yet.

The OP is absolutely top shelf, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIVnDveefA
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sima Tuna wrote:Regardless, Strange Journey is way fucking better than any SMT game made after SMT IV.
There are only 2 of them (unless you count those phone games), though: IV Final and V, unless you want to count Deep Strange Journey as well, in which case there are 3. Almost everything is better than IV Final. V... exists, I guess. It doesn't do much to justify its existence, sadly. I don't hate V, but I definitely don't like it very much. Maybe I'll try Deep Strange Journey. My Japanese 3DS is the original model, though. Maybe I'll go get a Japanese New 3DS LL to get a bigger screen. Too bad I can't use my US New 3DS XL because IT'S FUCKING REGION LOCKED.

Oh yeah, Synchronicity Prologue exists, as well. That game's pretty cool.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Steven wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:Regardless, Strange Journey is way fucking better than any SMT game made after SMT IV.
There are only 2 of them (unless you count those phone games), though: IV Final and V, unless you want to count Deep Strange Journey as well, in which case there are 3. Almost everything is better than IV Final. V... exists, I guess. It doesn't do much to justify its existence, sadly. I don't hate V, but I definitely don't like it very much. Maybe I'll try Deep Strange Journey. My Japanese 3DS is the original model, though. Maybe I'll go get a Japanese New 3DS LL to get a bigger screen. Too bad I can't use my US New 3DS XL because IT'S FUCKING REGION LOCKED.

I have zero interest in DSJ. All the new story stuff feels like fanfiction, and they had the gaul to do new character art without Kaneko, so it's a huge tonal clash. Hard pass.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cj iwakura wrote:
Steven wrote:

I have zero interest in DSJ. All the new story stuff feels like fanfiction, and they had the gaul to do new character art without Kaneko, so it's a huge tonal clash. Hard pass.
I have heard that as well, and that the original Strange Journey is better than Deep Strange Journey simply because the original doesn't have the new stuff, which is apparently some IV Final-tier trash. At this point I don't think Kaneko is ever coming back, though. With V, it's pretty clear that Doi tried to copy Kaneko's art style, buy I am still uncertain about the character design in V as a whole... and V itself as a whole.

I started another playthrough of V 3 hours ago, but I will try to not drop it this time. Fairy Fencer F Refrain Chord releases on Thrusday, so who knows what will happen.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

'Huge Tonal Clash' is laughable hyperbole
Steven

Post by Steven »

Honestly, Kaneko being gone doesn't bother me at all. Doi's bootleg-Kaneko looking stuff from V is close enough anyway.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

idk just play to the second boss of DSJ and say what you think from there other than being needlessly dismissive about a game you havent played.

as for the timeline, one already exists.. but i don't see last bible/devil children shit

https://ia804506.us.archive.org/25/item ... 604592.jpg
Steven

Post by Steven »

I never anything needlessly dismissive about Deep Strange Journey at all.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ok, Buddy.

I legit thought you were the older user "Stevens" and was genuinely shocked at your opinions, way you write etc. like "jesus man what happened to stevens"
:lol:

Now I realise i've been dumb.

you carry on mate.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Steven wrote:I started another playthrough of V 3 hours ago, but I will try to not drop it this time. Fairy Fencer F Refrain Chord releases on Thrusday, so who knows what will happen.
I like V's character design for the most part, Doi's a good artist... when he's doing his own work, not trying to update someone else's. It's the story that's a hot mess.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The major issue I have with Doi is he tends to create a lot of super sentai-looking stuff. Which doesn't really fit with the older Kaneko art. I don't think it helps that the storylines of SMT games keep getting dumbed down with each entry. SMTV felt like I was watching a power rangers anime.

I'll post my opinions on the major games so people know whether or not to disregard, btw:

SMT 3 Nocturne: Masterpiece
SMT IV: Fine
SMT Strange Journey: Masterpiece
SMT Deep Strange Journey: Mostly the same game
Soul Hackers (3DS): Very Good
Devil Survivors Overclocked: Masterpiece
Digital Devil Saga: Very Good
Devil Survivor 2: Good
SMT 4 Apocalypse: Pile of Shit
SMT V: Didn't finish, but overall negative impression based on playing to level 40

I might have forgotten one of the games. I played basically everything on ds, 3ds and ps2. Except the Raidou games.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I liked Apocalypse... to a point. The opening chapters are great, showing how helpless the average human was in the face of the demonic invasion, showing the Tokyo side of IV's conflict was a great idea, along with the Polytheistic Alliance(brilliant idea).

Then the endgame happens and it goes full anime, in the worst ways(POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!).
bottino

Post by bottino »

Sima Tuna wrote:Strange Journey is a 10/10 game and the remake, Deep Strange Journey, is still a 10/10. It's just the same game but with a plethora of extra features. It does include some shit that can make the game too easy for veterans, but you can disable all of it IIRC. One nice addition to Deep Strange Journey are some abilities for your main character to make him a little more useful. Aside from item spamming and demon summoning, the main character in vanilla SJ is kinda worthless. I mean, it definitely plays into the atmosphere and you'll have to decide yourself if you think it's a net positive to make him stronger, or a net negative for the tone of the game.
Yeah, he's the captain, the midfielder who sets the tone and rhythm of your team, not a world-class striker. Makes a perfect match with the game's setting, making you more reliant on your equipment and demon choices and also playing with different builds in each playthrough more interesting.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What's different between Deep Strange Journey and the US Redux version?
Steven

Post by Steven »

cj iwakura wrote:
Steven wrote:I started another playthrough of V 3 hours ago, but I will try to not drop it this time. Fairy Fencer F Refrain Chord releases on Thrusday, so who knows what will happen.
I like V's character design for the most part, Doi's a good artist... when he's doing his own work, not trying to update someone else's. It's the story that's a hot mess.
So basically I like Doi's human character designs slightly more than I like Kaneko's, but I also prefer Kaneko's demon designs more than Doi's demon designs, which is why I'm neutral (lol) on the change from Kaneko to Doi overall. I am not sure about the redesigned Deep Strange Journey human characters since the original Kaneko designs were fine the way they were, but I guess they work and probably make it more consistent.

Anyway, ended up playing V until like 0300 this morning. Got to Hydra but forgot to fill my Magatsuhi gauge before the fight, so I closed the game, relaunched it, filled the gauge, and killed Hydra easily. Is there an actual good reason that we can't see how full the Magatsuhi gauge is outside of battle? Well, the game's pretty easy, even on Hard, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much in the end, although the furthest I made it was to the beginning of Taitou-ku, which is where I dropped the game on my first attempt. Wasn't feeling it, sadly. I bought a Switch literally just for this one game, but...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

BrianC wrote:What's different between Deep Strange Journey and the US Redux version?
Uh, nothing, far as I know.
Steven wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
So basically I like Doi's human character designs slightly more than I like Kaneko's, but I also prefer Kaneko's demon designs more than Doi's demon designs, which is why I'm neutral (lol) on the change from Kaneko to Doi overall. I am not sure about the redesigned Deep Strange Journey human characters since the original Kaneko designs were fine the way they were, but I guess they work and probably make it more consistent.

Anyway, ended up playing V until like 0300 this morning. Got to Hydra but forgot to fill my Magatsuhi gauge before the fight, so I closed the game, relaunched it, filled the gauge, and killed Hydra easily. Is there an actual good reason that we can't see how full the Magatsuhi gauge is outside of battle? Well, the game's pretty easy, even on Hard, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much in the end, although the furthest I made it was to the beginning of Taitou-ku, which is where I dropped the game on my first attempt. Wasn't feeling it, sadly. I bought a Switch literally just for this one game, but...
V has one(!) genuinely great dungeon, but the final battle is just lame. Say what you will about Apocalypse, the final battle was white knuckle intense.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

V's "open world" is essentially its dungeon replacement, and I actually thought it was a nice take on the old formula with the dungeons themselves (what little there are) mostly lacking.

I just beat it the other night myself, finally, after giving up hoping to beat the DemiFiend with my 99 char. Got sick of throwing myself against a wall over and over again and hoping for good rng. Unfortunately that does mean I utterly whooped satan's ass, the guy couldn't even touch me.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cj iwakura wrote:V has one(!) genuinely great dungeon, but the final battle is just lame. Say what you will about Apocalypse, the final battle was white knuckle intense.
I was stuck on IV Final's last boss for like a fucking year or something. That shit's crazy, and probably the single most difficult final boss I've seen in anything ever... for the first playthrough. Second playthrough wasn't so bad, though. Maybe the route choice had something to do with it.

One thing that I absolutely hate about that game is that after a certain point I think all of the bosses have pierce, which goes through even reflect in that game for some idiotic reason, so resistances become almost completely pointless for bosses after a certain point, aside from resistance-granting passive skills getting rid of your demons' weaknesses.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

cj iwakura wrote:Very thorough, and pretty accurate.
Thanks!
Blinge wrote:as for the timeline, one already exists.. but i don't see last bible/devil children shit

https://ia804506.us.archive.org/25/item ... 604592.jpg
I was trying for how the games descended from each other, rather than a timeline of their narratives. Like, Digital Devil Saga is a spin-off of Nocturne in that it's Atlus using Nocturne's new 3D demon models and press turn system in a game with set party members and sphere grid skills rather than recruitable demons and inheritance. It's not part of the same SETTING as Nocturne and the only narrative connection (afaik) is the optional demi-fiend battle. And Devil Children isn't part of the same setting as Last Bible, it's MIT applying their ~peerless design philosophy~ to a Pokemon-like now that it's supplanted Dragon Quest as the hottest RPG for Nihon's young'uns.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah cool, I get it now.

MIT?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hey in SMTIV, I've noticed some demons have skills they'll get in two levels time.. (duno what they'll be tho)
should I hold onto demon/grind to level them and get those skills.. so they'll be carried forward?

Or just fuse them as soon as I can get something better?

Because my god, they level up so slowly.. it seems like a proper slog
Steven

Post by Steven »

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends on what those skills are and if you want them or not". There are also some demons that evolve after they gain enough levels, like Angel, which will evolve all the way to Cherub if you keep it around for long enough.

BTW don't use the Str stat at all if you are physical; Dex increases the damage of both your physical skills and your gun skills way more than Str does for some reason. This was fixed in IV Final. I want to say that weapons also don't affect your skill damage at all, just your regular attack/shoot commands. Gun build is a lot of fun, though. I think this also may have been fixed in IV Final, but I don't remember.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

In general, I find it's typically worthwhile to at least see what those skills are. In older SMT games, fusing demons to carry over the skills you wanted was a real pain in the ass. But the new games make the whole process entirely painless, so there's no reason not to check.

I don't remember exactly how leveling works in SMT IV, but if you're leveling extremely slowly, you might want to push forward with the story until you get some juicier random encounters or some demons who can clear the encounters out fast.

Unlike Strange Journey main character, SMTIV main character is overpowered as fuck, thanks to Demon Whisper. Demon Whisper is another reason to level your demons up. With the right moveset, the MC can solo a lot of shit by himself. I usually build him as a magic user because that's the enjoy playing SMT. But I've heard physical is busted strong.

My biggest problems with SMTIV are the complete lack of any defensive stat (that matters) and how fucking broken Smirk is. It was a relief to go back to other SMT games, where you can actually take a single hit without party wiping. SMT IV is still decent though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Okay thanks gents, i’ll look the skills up i guess, don’t wanna grind for ages for no reason.

I’ve just beaten Minotaur
Cool design!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sima Tuna wrote:My biggest problems with SMTIV are the complete lack of any defensive stat (that matters)
It's one of the weirder design choices in the game. The closest thing there is to a real solution is to change your pants.
Sima Tuna wrote:and how fucking broken Smirk is.
That shit's completely broken. IV Final fixed this as well... but also ruined some skills in the process, like having Salvation's status effect healing property, Hama/Mudo instakills, and a few other things directly tied to Smirk, making them even more random than they were before unless you have Smile Charge, which has a completely ridiculous MP cost. They really should have left Hama and Mudo alone and just had separate light/dark skills that deal damage, but nope. Salvation was totally broken in IV, and while I don't know of a better way to fix it other than making its MP cost huge, I don't think requiring Smirk for the status heal was the best choice. Too late now.
Blinge wrote:I’ve just beaten Minotaur
Cool design!
And, best of all, the most intense boss music in any game ever, as far as I've ever heard.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Steven wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:My biggest problems with SMTIV are the complete lack of any defensive stat (that matters)
It's one of the weirder design choices in the game. The closest thing there is to a real solution is to change your pants.
Sima Tuna wrote:and how fucking broken Smirk is.
That shit's completely broken. IV Final fixed this as well... but also ruined some skills in the process, like having Salvation's status effect healing property, Hama/Mudo instakills, and a few other things directly tied to Smirk, making them even more random than they were before unless you have Smile Charge, which has a completely ridiculous MP cost. They really should have left Hama and Mudo alone and just had separate light/dark skills that deal damage, but nope. Salvation was totally broken in IV, and while I don't know of a better way to fix it other than making its MP cost huge, I don't think requiring Smirk for the status heal was the best choice. Too late now.
Blinge wrote:I’ve just beaten Minotaur
Cool design!
And, best of all, the most intense boss music in any game ever, as far as I've ever heard.
Apocalypse has the Divine Powers battle music, which never fails to get me hype(shame none of the battles are that difficult).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtFEfnwCxc

Also, Soul Hackers 2 is really good so far, and surprisingly difficult.