Metal Slug Anthology version preference question

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FRO

Metal Slug Anthology version preference question

Post by FRO »

I am considering the purchase of the Metal Slug Anthology, and I'm vacillating between the Wii and PSP versions. PSP would be nice for the obvious portability, but Wii would be sweet so I could initiate my wife in a 2-player game. Is it worth the money to get both, since it's a budget title?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Well they actually managed to fuck up the controls on the Wii.
*If you're playing with the Cube Pad, you can only use the Stick and not the D-Pad.
*It doesn't support the classic controller at all.
*The only semi-acceptable setup is the horizontal wiimote, but you gotta waggle to throw a grenade. Sux.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I have the PSP-JP and Wii-JP versions, and previously the Wii-US version.

As Jockel said, the controls for the Wii-US version are seriously F-ed up. These were fixed for the Wii-JP version - Classic Controller & GameCube D-pad are in. I haven't played it too much but it seems decently accurate.

I don't remember what was said about the PS2 version but it might not have been that good either. Of your two stated options, I would definitely recommend the PSP version, although you won't be able to enjoy it with your wife... You might as well pick up some cheap PC gamepads and MAME it on the TV.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or you could go the MVS route and slowly gather up the all the cool Metal Slug MVS cartridges. They might cost you an arm & a leg though. ^_~

Yeah, I've got the USA region PS2 version of Metal Slug Anthology and it really can't compare to the original MVS versions. The best three versions of MVS Metal Slug games IMO are Metal Slug, Metal Slug X & Metal Slug 3. The MVS version of Metal Slug 5 is cool as well...on the single layer PCB version of MS5, you can select which country region you wish to play with withiout the need to change eproms. It is possible to choose the USA region (with the obligatory parental advisory warning screen) or the cooler original JPN region version if you wish to do so. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

According to gamerankings, the PS2 version is the best. You might want to check out some of the reviews to see what they say about the different versions.

I had the Wii version temporarily and it was terrible. Bunch of useless controls like having to shake the controller to throw bombs. The only other option I had was to use the Classic Controller, that I didn't like either. I think Metal Slug Complete for PS2 lacks MS6, because MS6 had an individual release in 2006.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
FIL

Post by FIL »

Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 has quite noticable controller lag.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

PSP version is shit.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Personally I would just get Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug 6 for PS2. Like I have.

I actually still have MS3 for PAL; this was a time where I actually still bought PAL games. I picked MS3 up for fairly cheap ($30?) last year. Do you really want to play 4 and 5? They're not good games.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Elixir wrote:According to gamerankings, the PS2 version is the best. You might want to check out some of the reviews to see what they say about the different versions.

I had the Wii version temporarily and it was terrible. Bunch of useless controls like having to shake the controller to throw bombs. The only other option I had was to use the Classic Controller, that I didn't like either. I think Metal Slug Complete for PS2 lacks MS6, because MS6 had an individual release in 2006.
Metal Slug Anthology does have Metal Slug 6. There was an earlier collection, which I believe was Japan only, that didn't had MS6, but it had MS1 to 5, including MSX. And there's also MS6 standalone.

(It's kinda weird to me to write "MSX" when not talking about the 8-bits computer :D)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Yeah, that's what I said. Metal Slug Complete lacks MS6.

Dale

Post by Dale »

If you have an Xbox I'd definitely go with that version MS3. It's the best emulated MS port ever. It flows better then the original version. It also comes with some 2 fun extra modes that the PS2 port probably has but I can't say for sure. I can't speak for 4 and 5 port but they're probably the best port of those two as well. I also like to say that MS5 is sum what underrated and is my 2nd favorite in the franchise. 4 is not that great but is very very hard and is great if you want a challenge. MS6 seems good from what I've played but i haven't played it enough to really say how good or bad it is.

BTW me and my friend noticed that a lot Chucky Cheese's carry MS6. Does anyone have MS6 cabinets at Chucky Cheese's by them? The one I went to had the dip switch set really easy and gives the player infinite heavy machine gun as default weapon, pretty bitchen.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
`Throwdown

Post by `Throwdown »

FIL wrote:Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 has quite noticable controller lag.
Get it for the Wii and get a GC controller.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I'd never heard about or noticed lag in the PS2 or PSP ports, but I haven't spent a ton of time with either. I sold the three MVS carts I had because I was happy enough with the PS2 version.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:PSP version is shit.
It really is. It feels like it has to pause for loading every ten seconds. Worst PSP release I own, hands down.

And I own Generation of Chaos.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

professor ganson wrote:I'd never heard about or noticed lag in the PS2 or PSP ports, but I haven't spent a ton of time with either. I sold the three MVS carts I had because I was happy enough with the PS2 version.
A buddy of mine is insanely crazy about metal slug. Dude can 1 CC Metal Slug 3 easily. (I can't remember if it was 1cc or no miss forgot)

Anyways he tells me the PS2 version has some sort of slowdowns, he said that he couldn't put his finger on why he liked his AES version of the PS2 version.

I'm not sure whether he used his PS3 or PS2 but he says the PS2 port just doesn't feel right compared to the arcade version.

Anyways I have the PS2 version and I am happy with it, also Metal Slug 3 for the Xbox and that plays fine too.

I'm also not very good either so I really can't tell lol
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Elixir wrote:Yeah, that's what I said. Metal Slug Complete lacks MS6.
Sorry, I own Metal Slug Complete (both Wii-JP and PSP-JP) and it most certainly has MS6.

Though again, if multiplayer is what you want, MAME on a TV-out will be the more cost-effective solution. You won't get MS6, but I don't think that one is very friendly to beginners anyway.

side note: when I saw "last post by PCE-FX" on the main Off-Topic forum, I already knew it was going to be something about MVS :P
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

I can't recommend any version, and i've played them all.

The PS2 version has horrible input lag, particularly on the first game. It is unplayable.

The Wii version controls like shit, and doesn't have the hitflashes, meaning that you'll have no idea whether or not you're actually damaging bosses.

The PSP version has lotsa loading and tons of slowdown. Blech!

Even the version of Metal Slug 1 on SNK Arcade Classics is fucked. The PS2 version again has the input lag, and the Wii version has some of the hitflashes back in place and the option of using the Classic Controller, but most of the flashes are still gone.

I love the Metal Slug games, but I didn't want to buy the Neo Geo carts. Unfortunately, that's the only way you'll get a competent version of the game though, so I broke down and grabbed the MVS shit. It's not that expensive, and it's much, much better than SNK's shitty compilations.

...it's strange that they'd fuck MS up so bad, given how well they did with older PS2 ports like Metal Slug 3 and Garou...
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

SNK should put the hitflashes and D-pad support in the US Wii version as well. Fucking Nintendo and their gay seizure issues.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
MathU

Post by MathU »

ZeetherKID77 wrote:SNK should put the hitflashes and D-pad support in the US Wii version as well. Fucking Nintendo and their gay seizure issues.
This was entirely SNK's fault, actually.

Wii version is definitely the best, even if you're forced to use the analog stick on a Gamecube controller. Get the Japanese version, Metal Slug Complete, because the US one doesn't have Classic Controller support.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Shelcoof wrote: I'm also not very good either so I really can't tell lol
Ha, same here. Probably better ports would be wasted on me. Though, if the PSP one is really so terrible, I should get rid of it. I only picked it up in response to a buy 2 get 1 sale at EB Games.
Khan

Post by Khan »

well i have the psp and ps2 versions and also never noticed input lag but yea ps2 version is my fav.
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

The PS2 version has slight lag for MS1 and none in the other games.
FRO

Re: Metal Slug Anthology version preference question

Post by FRO »

Thanks for all the input. I might snag the PSP version if I can get it dirt cheap somewhere, just so I have it.
UnscathedFlyingObject

You have been warned.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Sorry to drudge up this old topic, but just picked up the Metal Slug Anthology for PSP. Haven't played it a ton, but I guess I'm a bit curious as to what all the hate is about? MS1 played great for me, I thought it controlled fine. Granted, I haven't dumped more than a few quarters into the MS series over the years, mostly due to lack of an available MS machine, but I thought it played fine.
lawnspic

Re:

Post by lawnspic »

Octopod wrote:The PS2 version has slight lag for MS1 and none in the other games.

all the games have lag except MS6
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Koa Zo

Re: Re:

Post by Koa Zo »

lawnspic wrote:
Octopod wrote:The PS2 version has slight lag for MS1 and none in the other games.

all the games have lag except MS6
Yeah, I just got the JPN Complete Collection for PS2 and was blown away at how shitty it is.
Besides the controller lag, there is also a lot more loading than any of the stand alone ports.

Like Elixer said, just get MS3 and MS6 by themselves. (and 4 & 5 are available in a set as well, with less loading and better control)
UnscathedFlyingObject

It baffles the mind how they could mess up copy and paste some already ported games into a disc.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even the Xbox MS3 is kind of screwed up by continues sending you back to the level's start. Really made learning the last mission a pain in the ass.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Huh. If you die at the very end of the game, do they send you back to the plane/jetpack section? :lol: