What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Moniker

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Moniker »

I'm not all that great at Contra games, but I quite like Super C. If you're dithering, I'm sure you know that both NES Contras can be unlocked in Contra 4. I mostly agree with your ranking, too. I don't know what people don't like about HC:U (besides art style, which is a minor nit at worst).
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Played some black ops 2. Playing against people who are terrible is really fun. I think the full auto smr is probably my favorite gun.

http://youtu.be/l4lEHI5K22E
The FAL OSW with select fire is better because it has a faster fire rate than the SMR. The only advantage that the SMR has is that it's 2-hit kill range is longer than the FAL's. You can tap fire the SMR faster than if it has full auto.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Moniker wrote:I don't know what people don't like about HC:U (besides art style, which is a minor nit at worst).
The only thing I don't like is that it has long levels, though I'm still liking the game quite a bit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WOAH IT'S BEAUTIFUL - I mean, it's EXCESSIVE FORCE! Who do you think you are Marine, PEPPER SPRAYING COP? Oh well that Imp around the corner wasn't going to look at itself. *whistle*

Fuck killing productivity, The Shores of Hell via BDOOM kills my goof-off time. >_> I was supposed to be playing Metal Black tonight. It's all I can do to not waste an hour replacing various player speech with soundbites from our good friends the DDD² (Donpachi/Dangun/Dragon) colour commentary team.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Played some black ops 2. Playing against people who are terrible is really fun. I think the full auto smr is probably my favorite gun.

http://youtu.be/l4lEHI5K22E
The FAL OSW with select fire is better because it has a faster fire rate than the SMR. The only advantage that the SMR has is that it's 2-hit kill range is longer than the FAL's. You can tap fire the SMR faster than if it has full auto.
Thanks, I'll try the full auto FAL out. I do like the range on the SMR. You can practically snipe with it.

Pistols seem to be as good as a lot of the primary weapons especially with FMJ added in. I tried out just using the B23R as my only weapon with a bunch of perks it worked out pretty well. I really hate how long it takes to unlock stuff in this game. Main reason that I've only been playing league mode.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Thanks, I'll try the full auto FAL out. I do like the range on the SMR. You can practically snipe with it.

Pistols seem to be as good as a lot of the primary weapons especially with FMJ added in. I tried out just using the B23R as my only weapon with a bunch of perks it worked out pretty well. I really hate how long it takes to unlock stuff in this game. Main reason that I've only been playing league mode.
The B23R, TAC-45, and KAP-40 are the best pistols to use. Just like you said, the B23R is really good, I would say almost overpowered. The TAC-45 is probably my favorite because it is a 2-shot kill at close range. When you add long barrel and FMJ, it's absolutely ridiculous. The KAP-40 is good with either dual wield or extended clip; with dual wield it kills so quickly at close range, and it needs extended clip because it burns through ammo quickly. The other 2 pistols aren't very good; the Five-Seven is just your average handgun, nothing special, and its damage is low. The worst is probably the Executioner. Its damage stats are somewhat misleading because it says it has the highest damage out of all the handguns; because it uses shotgun shells. The range is horrible, even with long barrel, you still have to use most if not the whole clip to kill someone. It's basically an extremely watered down version of the Striker from Modern Warfare 2 with a 5-round clip. Also, never use reflex sight on handguns, it increases the visual recoil by a ridiculous amount.
ryu

Post by ryu »

curiosity has gotten the best of me and made me play final fantasy xiii.

i can't say the issues this game has people have brought up are not true, but i think what really kills this game is the way it develops. namely, it almost doesn't. i've wasted NINE HOURS on this so far and i have been to THREE AREAS, have seen CLOSE TO ZERO PROGRESS in either the story or any of the characters (so far the game has only shown me in bits and pieces of flashbacks how the characters have ended up in the situation the game has started with), and have learned ONLY THE MOST BASIC OF ABILITIES.

IN NINE HOURS!!! and yes, the game literally just consists of corridors. people apparently are not exaggerating on this issue. it's unbelievable.

i've put the game on-hold for now and tried out star ocean iv. i bought this because i was thinking that it could be in no way any worse than final fantasy xiii - but from what i've seen in its first hour of playtime it might just be.

i have no words.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

ryu wrote:curiosity has gotten the best of me and made me play final fantasy xiii.

i can't say the issues this game has people have brought up are not true, but i think what really kills this game is the way it develops. namely, it almost doesn't. i've wasted NINE HOURS on this so far and i have been to THREE AREAS, have seen CLOSE TO ZERO PROGRESS in either the story or any of the characters (so far the game has only shown me in bits and pieces of flashbacks how the characters have ended up in the situation the game has started with), and have learned ONLY THE MOST BASIC OF ABILITIES.

IN NINE HOURS!!! and yes, the game literally just consists of corridors. people apparently are not exaggerating on this issue. it's unbelievable.

i've put the game on-hold for now and tried out star ocean iv. i bought this because i was thinking that it could be in no way any worse than final fantasy xiii - but from what i've seen in its first hour of playtime it might just be.

i have no words.
Funnily Final Fantasy XIII-2 despite all the flames and hate, I find to be the better out of two, much better story pacing, the corridor area design was thrown out of window into more of the exploration regard. And the intro is only 35-45 mins long, then you get thrown into the real shit off the bat.

The only REAL complaint I have with XIII-2 is a major plot fuck-up later on that I cannot understand to this day (it's not game breaking but it made me laugh hysterically) and the last minute of the ending. Other than that, it's fun 30 hours of gameplay and the final boss is all kinds of fucking awesome (worth it alone IMO) as in much better than final boss in X, X-2, XII and XII, trust me that boss is just EPIC
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
railslave

Post by railslave »

Hoping to play systemshock 2 ... if my wife lets me have her credit details for this dodgy site http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2
any one know if its legit.... systemshock 2 that works on modern pc's ... hmmmmm ... suspect
"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
Khan

Post by Khan »

dota 2 again -_- currently 505hrs clocked since december
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ryu wrote: i've put the game on-hold for now and tried out star ocean iv. i bought this because i was thinking that it could be in no way any worse than final fantasy xiii - but from what i've seen in its first hour of playtime it might just be.

i have no words.
Eek. I was thinking of picking up SO4. On the other hand, the first hour of playtime is distressingly non-indicative of an RPG's quality [this is bad, I don't want to spend more than an hour on something that turns to shit, or slog through an hour of shit before it gets good].

This reminds me of when I ditched FF12 in favor of SO3 a few pages back, except I'm liking SO3 so far.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Kaiser wrote:Funnily Final Fantasy XIII-2 despite all the flames and hate, I find to be the better out of two, much better story pacing, the corridor area design was thrown out of window into more of the exploration regard. And the intro is only 35-45 mins long, then you get thrown into the real shit off the bat.

The only REAL complaint I have with XIII-2 is a major plot fuck-up later on that I cannot understand to this day (it's not game breaking but it made me laugh hysterically) and the last minute of the ending. Other than that, it's fun 30 hours of gameplay and the final boss is all kinds of fucking awesome (worth it alone IMO) as in much better than final boss in X, X-2, XII and XII, trust me that boss is just EPIC
that sounds alright. maybe i'll check out FFXIII-2 regardless even if i end up dropping FFXIII.
Eek. I was thinking of picking up SO4. On the other hand, the first hour of playtime is distressingly non-indicative of an RPG's quality [this is bad, I don't want to spend more than an hour on something that turns to shit, or slog through an hour of shit before it gets good].
i'm almost 4 hours into SOIV by now and so far i'd say it's probably a better game than FFXIII, although it might be a bit early to say that. the first hour was atrocious because it was basically just a bunch of bad cutscenes, but the gameplay that follows holds up nice enough.

i can't really praise SOIV so far, but it's a game. and FFXIII in comparison really just is not even that. basically the visuals really suck, which means it's easily one of the ugliest games i have ever played. like... right next to superman 64 i'd say. everything looks really plastic and unnatural while the animations are incredibly clunky (they're much worse from what i've seen in western games). the writing is alright in normal situations, but goes to shit when the writers attempt to be funny. the gameplay seems to be fine - it's just what you'd expect from a jrpg. npcs to talk to, areas to explore, a tolerable battle system etc. - although for the latter it really is too bad that it is not as good as the battle system in SOIII, because the battle music in SOIV is bloody awesome.

the first area was a bit too large for my liking and i'm not a fan of the sidequests, which are a lot like quests you'd see in an mmorpg (collect drops from monsterc etc.). at least the game's a good example to show that graphics don't matter all that much, because otherwise it would be unpalyable. however i must say that i would most likely find it much more enjoyable if it wasn't so damn ugly.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Resi 6 on PC. Dumb insta-kills ahoy (the question was asked in-game but seriously, why ARE the underground trains running?) - lost count of how many times I got hit by a train, after the point where a button mash avoids it. You just have to be in the right place, it seems. Likewise defending a petrol station when BAM! out of nowhere an ambulance or something squashes me against the wall. Repeatedly and without warning. You'd think that with the congregation of NPCs, that's where you should be but no, stay there and you get instant death. Hurrah!

Sometimes a melee connects, sometimes you get eaten instead. Haven't figured out how the melee really works yet - plus sometimes you insta-kill zombies with a flashy cutscene move (lol @ some of the wrestling moves Leon pulls off), sometimes you just punch them a few times.

Barely enjoyable and entirely frustrating so far.
drauch

Post by drauch »

railslave wrote:Hoping to play systemshock 2 ... if my wife lets me have her credit details for this dodgy site http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2
any one know if its legit.... systemshock 2 that works on modern pc's ... hmmmmm ... suspect
Yeah, I've got a buddy who bought it and supposedly it works great. I understand the apprehension, though; getting SS2 to work on modern OS is a nightmare.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
null1024

Post by null1024 »

railslave wrote:Hoping to play systemshock 2 ... if my wife lets me have her credit details for this dodgy site http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2
GOG isn't dodgy at all, and the games they sell are all configured to work on modern PCs [in fact, you might encounter issues trying to run games from them on older machines].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Resi 6 on PC.
Oh, heh, I forgot that was this month. Guess I'll keep forgetting for now.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I finally got around to trying Sim City 4, which I bought on Steam over Christmas for about £2.50. It's pretty fun, but has a nasty habit of crashing after I've been playing for an hour or so.

Started my third playthrough of last year's superb XCOM: Enemy Unknown. After doing the first two on Normal, I've opted for Classic difficulty with Ironman mode switched on. I suspect this is going to hurt.
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Dodgy? Not sure if sarcasm. :|

Anyway, bought it, played it, loved it. Ran like a champ on Windows 7 64-bit.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

besides playing my shmups, i love to play rpgs.
now i try to finish all my japanese rpgs on the pc engine. i finished 22 games in 1 year, thats not too bad i think.

right now i play anearth fantasy stories.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

I never heard of System Shock, but I checked out a video after everyone started posting about it.

HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME.

I never knew Bioshock was a spiritual successor either.

(ignorant to PC gaming)
lol
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Alien vs. Predator. I finally found a way to do crowd control and deal with Smashers with Linn. For the first, slide xx f,f xx soukeiha works like a charm. It avoids those annoying insta-jabs the aliens like to randomly throw around, covers a nice range, knocks down and is quite safe on recovery too. For the smashers, keeping them away with soukeihas and then going for airthrow combos when they are grouped together seems to be the way to go. Now I should be reliably no-missing up to stage 5, since Linn can easily bypass the Alien Queen with the jumping down + attack infinite.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sonic Colors [Wii].

I forgot how good this game was. And Sonic seems to control a bit better here than in Generations, even if Generations has better levels for the most part.

Also, it's a fairly good looking Wii game, that's always surprising.

I do wish sidestep and drift had separate controls though, instead of being forced on in certain areas...
and I also wish Generations had a ranking system like this game, damnit
Last edited by null1024 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

mesh control wrote:I never heard of System Shock, but I checked out a video after everyone started posting about it.

HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME.

I never knew Bioshock was a spiritual successor either.

(ignorant to PC gaming)
lol I forgot how terrible Delacroix's accent is. Les Gargales.

Also funny: The guy you see putzing around in a window at training (I think the play passes it right by) has the standard screamy face corpse texture. "EMAIL TERRIFIES ME" Maybe it was something in the ramen?

As awesome as this game is, it's 20x more awesome in coop, although I suggest playing the game through solo first. And the original "weapons break every two seconds" difficulty (patched out with the multiplayer version) was interesting as well.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mesh, play it! Probably my top 5 favorite games EVER. Which isn't saying anything because most people hate me.

Awwww, I like Delacroix's voice... :oops:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Daigohji wrote:Started my third playthrough of last year's superb XCOM: Enemy Unknown. After doing the first two on Normal, I've opted for Classic difficulty with Ironman mode switched on. I suspect this is going to hurt.
As predicted, it didn't go well. The game can be brutally unforgiving and at times unfair even on Normal, though I don't know if the latter is intentional or down to unresolved bugs. Enemies would frequently shoot through full height brick walls to instakill soldiers in cover who had full health. Classic amps that up, and with Ironman mode preventing me from retrying battles, Earth died a slow death. I also sometimes had enemy groups appearing directly in front of me, ignoring my soldiers' normal field of view, which I don't remember happening on Normal. So even when I played cautiously and guarded the flanks and rear, enemies would pop up out of nowhere at point blank range and slaughter half my squad before I could reposition. Then, because the constantly escalating bodycount meant I was taking rookies into most battles, the rest of the squad would panic and get killed before I could regain control of them.

Even so, it was an interesting way to play the game. It's also unusual these days to see a game that has a definite bad ending rather than just prompting you to reload from the game over screen.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

First of all got SMT Strange Journey through the post and it is brilliant. PLayed about 3 hours and I am on the third floor of the first dungeon which is challenging but fair. I have done a couple of fusions and started to think about party setup etc. I look forward to spending some time with this.

Also got DJMAX Portable Black Square through the post and it turns out a fucked up. I got the Japanese version instead of the Korean version which means that there is no Link Disk option in the menu to allow me to play the optional charts in Clazziquai, one of the main reasons for me buying the bloody thing. Thankfully the game itself is great, and when I found out that they had removed the 'auto-correct' feature of the Korean version I actually thought for a minute that it might end up being the superior version. That didn't last, however, when I realised that when they removed auto-correct they messed up the engine meaning you only get something like 80% score on every note that you hit for 100%. In Club Tour mode there are endless missions with the same scoring threashold as the Korean version that are now made 20% more difficult and were already nut punchingly difficult in the original release. Looks like I will end up having to unlock most of the songs through playcount rather than mission completion unless I get there through practise, practise, practise.

Finally, I got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS on Friday and it is seriously fun, if a little easier than previous incarnations so far. I just opened up the Lagiacrus 4* Urgent and timed out on my first attempt at taking him down. I haven't triple carted at all yet and was annoyed with myself for not taking him down in the time limit because I messed up a lot but was almost there. I had broken his various parts and he had limped into the den area. I think 10 more hits would have finished him off. The underwater combat is a bit wonky still, but the centre camera on monster button helps a lot.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I played so much Forza Horizon today I can see it on the back of my eyelids. Something really unusual happened while I was doing a showcase event. The computer hit a bump, went flying, then took a wrong turn, and was out for the rest of the race. Easy showcase win. I'm having a great time with rivals mode. So much replay value.

I really like the LFA dash. Toyota should put it in their other cars.
http://youtu.be/qyy1dMvGls8
http://youtu.be/haF4mTntX2s
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 on Vita. Fantastic stuff - mainly getting teeth into the rogue-like challenge mode stuff which is brilliant.

Still plodding along on Fantasy Life for 3DS which was one of the best games of last year - sort of Animal Forest but will stuff to do/questing/dungeons etc.

Going back through Hotline Miami on PC as well - because i could listen to the soundtrack forever.
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Mega Man 3 Ever, Mega Man 3 Return, Mega Man 3: Battle of Gamma and Rockman 3 Alpha.

Fuck backlog, rom hacks are more fun. Out of these 4, I'm farthest in Ever, at the Doc Robot stages. Lost my password for Battle of Gamma so I'll have to start all over again on that but it's so awesome that I don't care. Would post this in the Mega Man thread but I have no idea what else to say other than 'I like them' and 'Why does MM3 get all the best hacks?'.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Battle of Gamma is indeed the tits. Haven't heard of the others, recommend any of them in particular?
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.