What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Licorice

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Licorice »

Nope I played the JP version. Nothing weird happened at all during the rest of the run. I guess Danny got stuck a few times and then bolted through walls to the survivor once or twice but I never figured that was unusual.

And the soft lock never happened to me while practicing the final boss (I mean starting from the fire before the window, the window itself is pretty trivial). Not that I practiced much maybe like 5 times, the patterns don't require much execution when you figure them out.

Also yes definitely love the disaster during 90s corporate Christmas party in hybrid office and manufacturing facility aesthetic. Very diehard except it's a disaster not terrorists.

Also watched a bit of the PAL version in English. "Why did this have to happen during Christmas" "Just where'd you go to college anyway?" Great stuff lol.
Last edited by Licorice on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Spent the morning celebrating the Dreamcast's birthday with LOTS of fighting

Soul Calibur (first is STILL the best)
MvsC2
Tech Romancer
Project Justice

Will do some shooting (of course) and driving this evening.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Some more thoughts on the Firemen.

First stage is a very gentle introduction. Perhaps too gentle given the length of each stage, but very appreciated when I was just starting. It would have required some adjustments to the cinematic experience BIL mentioned, but it would have been great if the game was divided into a beginner story and an advanced story, or had an "arrange" with some tougher initial levels.

Speaking of cinematic experience, what gives it that feel is the playing area's aspect ratio. It's very wide and not very tall, with the HUD filling the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The effect is very cool, I like it, even if the screen space could have been used to display more play field. Also, surprisingly movement doesn't ever feel annoying moving along the shorter axis despite the large sprites. The level designers seem to have been quite careful taking this into account.

Partially this is because the whole game is really high tactics low execution. There's only a few bits where you have to juggle movement, the floor spray, and ducking for cover that require some finger dexterity and quick thinking. The rest is about coming up with a plan of attack and not getting too greedy. That's where most damage comes from, taking risks to maintain forward momentum cause you're scored on time. When you're first starting out, the clock itself can be pretty aggressive. When it runs out, you don't die, but you're taken down to a slither of health. Later once you learn the layouts the clock is never an issue.

A few parts of the game are like that. The bosses, for example, can be a threat until you learn that most (every?) level gives you 3 bombs and you have no other use for them. Well, you do go to weapon level 2 on first bomb over the 3-capped stock, and you power down on hit so if you're not on weapon level 2 you might want to save a bomb so you get back to it next level. Still, with 2 bombs, most bosses are not a threat. The only one that gives me some trouble is the stage 5 one cause he can trap your movement. There's probably a pattern of attack to mitigate that but I never figured it out. Stage 6 gives you a full 4 bombs if you know where they are, so you can use all 3 on the stage 5 boss.

The bits with the large green suicide droids are difficult until you figure out they do no contact damage, just explosion damage, which you can dodge entirely by pressing the button to go prone. Same as the exploding boilers in the lead up to the stage 2 boss. Aaand same goes for when you learn you can take down tall ground fires with the ground shot, and that moving fires and embers don't count towards fire rate.

Speaking of fire rate, there's a few optional rooms (or room entrances) for 100% fire rate, and there's a few hidden survivors. There's one bit at the start of level 3 where you have a choice of rooms you want to tackle first. I wish there was a tiny bit more of this, but I also appreciate the clever railroading with doors that explode into rubble blocking your path lol.

Keep in mind I haven't played it on expert mode. Might do so when I revisit which I inevitably will as this was already the second time revisiting for me (first time I stopped at the basic clear on normal), and I love the game. Seminal work not yet built upon AFIAK.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

been dOing mega man 3 no damage on and off. hAven't been motivated much to do gaming stuff atm, but i'm gonna clear tHat stupid unreasonable run when i get back on the gamey's
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Are the doc robots the hardest part? Their hitbox is gigantic, it's like they take up the entire screen, lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Licorice wrote:The bits with the large green suicide droids are difficult until you figure out they do no contact damage, just explosion damage, which you can dodge entirely by pressing the button to go prone.
Nice, I'd no idea about this :o Makes one of my more dreaded rooms, the outdoor walkway near Stage 5's start, seem a lot more reasonable. (my strategy there was to bait them out, then retreat while Danny went full Jack Torrence on the bastards)

Glad to see you figured out the Fire Ratio! Reading that run's comments reminds me of why I always stress to new players: the underfoot "grass" fire isn't counted. It'd get miserable fast, having to mow it all away every time. You're the vanguard, charging to the roof to avert a downtown-levelling cataclysm! Fire Team B will handle the small stuff. Image

On the other hand, it certainly impedes movement, so keeping the vicinity clear is advised. I'm also reminded of the low shot slowing you when held, but retaining full speed when tapped - great for shredding through grass while hostiles are close. Characteristic good design sense all around.

I seem to recall the speedup of the charmingly-named "SUPER WATER" being useful (maybe moreso than the upped hose power), but it's been a long time. I'm a sucker for MAX HP POW mechanics, so I was always going to go for it. :mrgreen:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Now that my PC is working again, I'm back to playing Guilty Gear Strive.
Made it to floor 9 even though my longest combo is three hits.
Loads of dirty crossups and mixups [no one ever seems to expect you to do May's standing overhead twice in a row lol], loads of grabbing people because grabs are way too strong in Strive, I've grabbed so much stuff that I didn't deserve to escape from holy crap :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really do need to learn a longer combo just so I don't have to depend quite nearly as much on resets.
Also, I need to not do that sliding sweep so much, sometimes it gets blocked and I get like 70% health gone.

I wish GG tracked floor limits on a per-character rather than a per-user basis -- I want to pick up Ky, but while I can totally fight people on floor 6 with him, I'm going to just fucking die on floor 9 with him, bleh.

I also threw on a bit of Crazy Taxi two days ago to celebrate 9/9, but I did really bad, wasn't able to break $10k. Rusty. :cry:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A new Momodora game was announced recently, and I've had the previous two sitting in my backlog for some time, so I figured I might as well cross them off.

Momodora 3 is a level-based platformer, though you can revisit previous levels to look for stuff you missed. Pretty basic save two things: 1) A Strider-esque "mash Attack as fast as you can for more damage" mechanic, and 2) The ability to equip up to 3 accessories, some of which can pretty drastically change things up. It's pretty unforgiving (on Hard mode, at least; one of the rare games I went there for, mainly because the middle difficulty was called "Easy"), but not terribly difficult to finish with some persistence, since it's also pretty short (and two bucks). I know I missed some stuff, but I found the movement controls somewhat imprecise for my liking, so it was one and done for me.

Momodora 4, on the other hand, is a single-map Metroidvania; the controls are much improved this time (no Strider mashing, though you also get a separate ranged attack button and only need to charge for extra power), and so are the visuals, as the game does a good job establishing a "cute but creepy" atmosphere. Accessories work much the same as before, though this time there are also consumable items for healing and temporary boosts; they refill at save points a la Dark Souls, so you're encouraged to actually use them instead of hoarding, which is nice. Hard-and-fast upgrades are few, though this also means you can explore pretty freely for the game's fairly brief runtime.

Overall solid, with a few notable drawbacks: 1) The map is rather vague, only showing save points and can't be otherwise marked, which makes remembering where certain things are a pain. 2) The way damage is calculated for both you and enemies feels really niggly; essentially it's the "take less damage for touching an enemy as opposed to being hit by their attacks" idea, but I could never really get a solid handle on it, as the amounts seemed to vary widely under certain circumstances. 3) According to reviews if you can defeat a boss without being hit you get a bonus item, sometimes exclusive ones; unless I missed something neither the game itself nor the instruction manual ever so much as hints at this, and I could have easily gone through the entire game never knowing about it. Maybe it was intended to keep OCD players from driving themselves nuts, but at least a vague nudge would have still been appreciated. 4) Some cheap enemy attacks from out of nowhere combined with insta-death spikes can be frustrating, though usually it doesn't set you back terribly far, thankfully.

Maybe I'll have a go at Minoria next, just to complete the kinda-trifecta. Though I also need to finish Hollow Knight and Blasphemous before their sequels come out.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BulletMagnet wrote:at least a vague nudge would have still been appreciated
The nudge comes from insane difficulty, where your starting HP is so low that every hit will be a 1HKO until you've gathered quite a few health upgrades. You'll get Edea's pearl from the first boss whether you mean to or not.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There's probably an argument to be made that only perfectionists would be willing to make that kind of effort anyway, especially since there's no way to retry bosses outside of restarting your save file, but even as a Normal Mode Wuss I still would have liked to see some manner of wink-wink, look that-a-way from the game, even if it was intentionally vague.

On that note, I ended up giving Minoria (which apparently has the same mechanic, but actually tells you openly about it) a go, and while I appreciate that you can more easily avoid being caught in a combat-related stall than before, nearly everything else about the game feels decidedly worse to me than Momodora 4. I normally like cel-shaded visuals but here I just found them uniformly bland, which is doubly tragic since this game is aiming for an even darker veneer than its semi-predecessor and completely faceplants. Movement feels stiffer, the map is still vague, and if fast travel exists I didn't get far enough to find it (in fairness it doesn't show up for awhile in Momodora either).

Most frustratingly, not only is the bizarre damage calculation still here (one particular boss attack seemed to randomly insta-kill me after normally taking a quarter or so of my HP), but the game's emphasis on the new counter mechanic coupled with its even more merciless enemy attack power makes it so much worse. Since baddies hit so hard learning their timing is likely to earn you (or at least me) regular game overs as you advance, and since ranged attacks are much more limited than in Momodora you don't have much of an alternative. Worse than that, the game makes it possible to take damage even if you successfully counter, especially when dealing with large-hitbox attacks; especially later in the game, when you're dealing with enemy groups who can only be reliably dealt with via countering and a single hit can take off three quarters or more of your life, every single time you try to counter with your life meter not completely full you risk insta-death if your spacing and timing isn't perfect.

Some of the more hardcore git gud types out there might find it endearing, but after awhile I just wasn't enjoying the combat anymore, and there wasn't anything else to the game to make me want to keep going. Onto the "abandoned" pile it goes, and hopefully the next (and supposedly final) Momodora doesn't follow in its footsteps.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Cruis'n Blast! Bloody brilliant, Mdiway arcade flash at it's finest. Stupid fast, absolutely vulgarly colourful to look at, just absolute instant fun. I recommend.

@BulletMagnet
I ditched the Revierie game, movement felt still and didn't find combat fun at all.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Minoria is a disappointing step down from Momodora 4 in nearly every way. I do recommend trying Reverie in at least hard mode at some point. I also don't really think it's worth worrying about Reverie's no-damage boss items. Most aren't particularly interesting, some are functionally similar to items you can obtain in other ways, and some are broken enough that the second half of an insane difficulty playthrough isn't all that hard.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Currently I'm playing Forza Motorsport 5, I've already finished FM6 first and I'm trying to finish it before playing Forza Motorsport 7.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

DLSite had a bunch of stuff on sale last week, so I scored a few games for $5-$6 each. I started playing Satori's Dungeon Oukoku (which works in Windows 2000) but after playing for a bit, I could not find any option for saving. Checked the 説明書, nothing. Web search in JP yielded no info and in EN only yielded warez links. So I look in the game directory, and there is a "save" subdirectory containing "save0.dat" with a current date/time on it, so I assumed the game was auto-saving.

On day 2 I return to continue my game and it says there is no data. But what about the save file!? I open it with a hex editor and find that it is basically empty, nearly all zeros. I was duped!

Eventually I discovered the secret. You have to press 'c' which brings up a special menu with a save function.

The game is like a vastly expanded version of Stella's Dungeon.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair is so insanely good and I honestly feel like this shakes up classic platforming very elegantly. This has the best world map I've ever seen in a 2D platformer of this nature. How they made it a very simplistic Zelda style overworld and make it just...WORK is beyond me. It's a shame the first one is underwhelming and mired in controversy because it did a Sonic 4 effect where the first game sucked so bad it made it's far more fun sequel just go completely overlooked.

I absolutely love this game. It's a nonlinear approach that doesn't feel aimless or make what you're doing feel pointless. Great fucking game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

XoPachi wrote:Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair is so insanely good and I honestly feel like this shakes up classic platforming very elegantly. This has the best world map I've ever seen in a 2D platformer of this nature. How they made it a very simplistic Zelda style overworld and make it just...WORK is beyond me. It's a shame the first one is underwhelming and mired in controversy because it did a Sonic 4 effect where the first game sucked so bad it made it's far more fun sequel just go completely overlooked.

I absolutely love this game. It's a nonlinear approach that doesn't feel aimless or make what you're doing feel pointless. Great fucking game.
I did not have actual fun with a platformer in a long time. Just downloaded the demo for this one to give it a try.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Are the doc robots the hardest part? Their hitbox is gigantic, it's like they take up the entire screen, lol.
yA, the doc robots, especially doc quick man, are total bullsHit. there's at least strats for all the others tHat are almost consistent, but doc quick is just a complete fucking gamble nO matter how good you get at that fight. if i can make it through him, the wily castles wOn't be anything if i just stay fOcused and get needle man to be cooperative on the refights since he can be a random asshole sometimes. after the refights, it shOuld be almost home free if i keep my sHit together.

alsO, fukken like, yeah, the doc fuCks have stupid fukken hitboxes tHat're are huge + suCk. you gotta do a little abstract thought and imagine a dumbass oversized box on the screen

i really fukken hAte doc quick. he's a fight i've been dreading about as much as i'm dreading violen in the x-hunter fortress on mmx2 >-<
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I'm starting to lose feeling with Guilty Gear Strive. Still kinda fun, but it's starting to grate.
Bluntly put, defense sucks in this game. It really, really sucks.
I'm winning for stupid reasons, I'm losing for stupid reasons. It's really, really annoying.

Trying to escape pressure is often just a fool's errand, so you often just hope wallbreak doesn't murder your health. Your fast normals aren't remotely useful, granting nearly no space, and all of the ones that have interesting properties simply will not come out fast enough, unless your opponent fell asleep or badly misinput and is now flying through the air doing the wrong move entirely. The absolute best option you have as a defender is a reversal super, which is unusually difficult to pull off in Strive [apparently the reversal window in Strive is tiny, even for supers].
You can also do a yellow RC, but again, that still barely gives you any space [seriously, it's depressing]. Contrast say, KOF's C+D attack, which sends the opponent flying. A lot of reversal specials are garbage and are bound to get hit.

The issue with defense mightn't even be so bad if Strive's damage wasn't so high. Sure, the wallbreak system really helps with providing a return to neutral for a cornered opponent, giving them another chance. Unfortunately, with the damage being so high in the game, you often have just that one chance to escape an opponent and begin your own pressure, and each attempt often makes things way worse because you're likely to counterhit badly.
It'd be really nice if you could at least get some good trades happening, taking damage to escape a situation and having both players go flying apart. As it stands, attempting to go for a trade in Strive is really only useful if you have a life lead and your next hit will kill. I've won and lost a lot of matches this way.

I think the worst bit with defense in Strive is that even a predictable opponent will have absurdly small windows of opportunity where you can escape without using burst. I can get away with doing "blockstrings" that would be worthless in any other game, but here, they can frametrap people viciously. Plus, if I get my counterhit, I can absolutely take my opponent to the cleaners and I'm still consistently amazed at how fast a match will go if I actually do get my combo in.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

sounds about right. who do you main?

I smoked so many people in floors 6-8 of the tower with apparent ease just using I-no's free instant overheads to get chains going.
The problem is that's in my mind as my Strive experience, so losing 3-0 makes me rage unbelievably
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

at least i can beat cave hermit
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:sounds about right. who do you main?

I smoked so many people in floors 6-8 of the tower with apparent ease just using I-no's free instant overheads to get chains going.
The problem is that's in my mind as my Strive experience, so losing 3-0 makes me rage unbelievably
May mostly, with a bit of Ky play here and there.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

null1024 wrote:I'm starting to lose feeling with Guilty Gear Strive. Still kinda fun, but it's starting to grate.
Bluntly put, defense sucks in this game. It really, really sucks.
I'm winning for stupid reasons, I'm losing for stupid reasons. It's really, really annoying.

Trying to escape pressure is often just a fool's errand, so you often just hope wallbreak doesn't murder your health. Your fast normals aren't remotely useful, granting nearly no space, and all of the ones that have interesting properties simply will not come out fast enough, unless your opponent fell asleep or badly misinput and is now flying through the air doing the wrong move entirely. The absolute best option you have as a defender is a reversal super, which is unusually difficult to pull off in Strive [apparently the reversal window in Strive is tiny, even for supers].
You can also do a yellow RC, but again, that still barely gives you any space [seriously, it's depressing]. Contrast say, KOF's C+D attack, which sends the opponent flying. A lot of reversal specials are garbage and are bound to get hit.

The issue with defense mightn't even be so bad if Strive's damage wasn't so high. Sure, the wallbreak system really helps with providing a return to neutral for a cornered opponent, giving them another chance. Unfortunately, with the damage being so high in the game, you often have just that one chance to escape an opponent and begin your own pressure, and each attempt often makes things way worse because you're likely to counterhit badly.
It'd be really nice if you could at least get some good trades happening, taking damage to escape a situation and having both players go flying apart. As it stands, attempting to go for a trade in Strive is really only useful if you have a life lead and your next hit will kill. I've won and lost a lot of matches this way.

I think the worst bit with defense in Strive is that even a predictable opponent will have absurdly small windows of opportunity where you can escape without using burst. I can get away with doing "blockstrings" that would be worthless in any other game, but here, they can frametrap people viciously. Plus, if I get my counterhit, I can absolutely take my opponent to the cleaners and I'm still consistently amazed at how fast a match will go if I actually do get my combo in.
How often are you using Faultless Defense or Instant FD? This is a mechanic designed to create space and have your opponents block string whiff so you can break their pressure.

Also don't rely on random reversal super in any fighting game. BAD, BAD, BAD! Shame on you. :wink:

Here's a video about Faultless Defense and thinking about when to use it:
https://youtu.be/6UAWL26cq9c
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I use FD somewhat sparsely. I definitely need to FD better, and I really need to study what moves I need to FD against, because it's a miserable idea to just hold it.
Instant FD is such a small window [2f in Strive! in Xrd it was like 8f] that it's not like a real option under pressure. It's amazing [and surprising] when you do it, but it's definitely not something you're reliably doing.

Also, sudden reversal super is a dead-useful option in a game where your attacker genuinely has very little reason to not just keep pressing buttons [even buttons with a lot of startup] if you're in the corner. More likely than not, as an attacker, just pressing buttons will at worst trade in your favor [unless the opponent has a 3f button or a DP, so basically Sol lol], and it's very rare to just get stuffed, so the reversal super is by far the most dangerous thing to them.
It's really stupid when I'm cornering someone, it feels like I need to do something less dangerous, except actually trying to change up the gameplan tends to backfire way more because my opponent was largely locked down doing what I was before until they get their burst again or they notice they have two bars of meter [so their reversal super is safe], while changing things up provides a far clearer opening.
Were this a different game, it'd be a different story.

One particularly dumb but weirdly useful defensive option I've picked up lately is to blue roman cancel on defense, which slows your opponent's movement down [very useful to escape attacks, although since they're slowed down, they're also active longer]. It's so dumb, I love it. I hate when it happens to me though, you can see exactly what you need to do to your opponent to beat them up when it happens, but your character isn't responding quick enough to do that anymore. :lol:

I'm on floor 9/10 right now [10 players tend to edge me out, while 9 players tend to get murdered into the dust and I get to go back 10].
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've been toying with adding the GB Kirby games to my collection for something like six months now. I had an opportunity to pick up Japanese editions of all six for $30 so I jumped on it.

Dream Land 1 and 2 I spent a lot of time with as a kid, so I'll give them a run through for old time's sake, but the spinoff titles were what I was most curious to own.

Pinball Land is the only spinoff I played as a kid, and the 10 minutes I spent with it today were less exciting than I'd hoped. But it's the one I was looking forward to the most, so I will give it another go soon. I don't own any other pinball titles so this feels worth owning regardless.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from Star Stacker but I found it enjoyable enough to run through on the highest difficult. There's a challenge mode I'll check out next. It's not a top tier puzzle game and I don't see myself coming back to it after I feel like I've finished it, but I'm not disappointed.

Block Ball didn't boot when I got it, but after some cleaning I was able to get it working. Didn't actually play it yet.

Tilt 'n Tumble is legit cool and I'm frustrated that I'm playing on a GBASP which makes the motion controls very funky. I'm a little tempted to buy a GBC to play it properly, but that feels like a frivolous purchase - I'll probably just emulate it.

I love the Kirby series' willingness to bounce between genres. Most of its games aren't brilliant, but they are frequently pretty neat. I need to look into the SNES games next - I played Super Star but never Dream Land 3 or any of the spinoffs.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
MauserNurse

Post by MauserNurse »

Arkanoid style games on the PC-98 and PC-88. Nothing to special.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Started Hyper Light Drifter on PS4. It looks glorious, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. It's incredibly unfriendly though, the game world is fairly large, fairly open even from the off, and the in-game map is terrible. The only guidance I've got are a few markers on the map, but I'm fucked if I know how to get to any of them, I'm windering in circles hitting the odd door I don't have enough keys for. Combat is nice, tough but fair, movement is silky, and I could see myself getting into this if I can just make some sort of headway.

Started Returnal on PS5. Only had an hour so far, but it seems like it's going to be a good one.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I got Kena Bridge of Spirits today. I've been waiting on this one since its reveal and its what I had hoped it would be.
I'm really happy this exists because holy crap am I tired of most modern action games.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Back to Burnout 2: Point of Impact for GameCube, played on Wii using CCP. Finaly unlocked Supercar, so I'm where I was at on PS2 before. This also makes for my deepest dive back to gaming in a number of years, which I needed badly for a reason.
Provided you've kept a decent CRT - Wii enhanced with an external HDD is truly magnificent, if you actually care to play games. Repeating myself I know, but in every couple of years I come through such rejuvenation phase and Wii has yet to disappoint me in this regard.

Tried some of early Platform stages in Wii TrackMania and they SO are my thing! I came to realise that I've never liked getting to know folks exclusively THROUGH games - if I had any good times playing online, it was always with someone I'd earlier met, be it online, just NOT in a game. Therefore this particular TrackMania's limited online serviceability has been always a non-issue for me. Quality and volume of single-player content is towering in this one. Am I right suspecting that all this overkill has something to do with large community of users honing track designs for years on end? Which I would furthermore guess underlies everlasting success of something like Counter-Strike (I don't really know).
Hyper Light Drifter
I've been trying to recall this title for a while. One of few "post-Wii" games I'm interested in. That and Strike Suit Zero, yeah. Since at this point any PC newer than mine worth assembling should run both with ease (I hope...) and buying yet another console is out of the question any time soon, those two give me a tiny bit of incentive to finally upgrade.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Don't go throwing a ton of money at a new PC for the sake of running Strike Suit Zero, the game is not worth it.

It's a victim of office politics between one side that wanted a mecha-shooter, and another side that wanted a simulator, and the end result is a half-assed mix of both. It's not bad, but it's exceedingly mediocre.

If you want the best space sim, it's still Freespace 2, and Freespace Open will make it sing on modern machines. If you want a fun anime transforming mecha game, Galak-Z is both fun and it really captures the feel of saturday morning cartoons of yesteryear.

And while Hyper Light Drifter has fantastic music and possibly the greatest opening cutscene in gaming, the final product is a relatively short one-and-done kinda game. A lot about it that was groundbreaking at the time has since been done better by more recent games.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hyper Light Drifter kind of clicked last night. Basically, the ingame map is fucking useless, and you'll have to investigate every single corner of every area completely thoroughly even to make progress with main objectives, never mind secret areas. I am loving it though.