What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
drauch

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by drauch »

You kinda need to if it's your first time. Blood is extremely punishing with its turn the corner and get wrecked cultists. Plus ya gotta take your time and let all the rad atmosphere sink in 8) .

I loved Dusk myself. First part didn't bother me, but more so the last few levels in Episode three with the gimmicks and lengthy arena shooting, which I'm not a fan of. I'm just pleased to have shooters with the mechanics and design I love again (although Dusk is a little too ugly with its purposely 'retro' look), so I probably look past some of these complaints and have been having a blast with Dusk, Ion Fury, Amid Evil, and Hedon.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

drauch wrote:Plus ya gotta take your time and let all the rad atmosphere sink in 8) .
Yeah, never felt it as much as I'm feeling it now. Some danger goes a long way to make even the silence scary :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Twin Cobra on the Genesis and BLOOD on PC occupy similar places in my mind, both of 'em have SFX (the former's bomb and the latter's dynamite bundles/shotgun blast/cultist death screams) I occasionally check back in on, wondering if I imagined their potency. Naw, they really do hit that hard. :cool:

DOOM was the moral panic du jour back then but Blood was the really violent FPS, nothing to do with the gore, just the screen-jarring, window-rattling impacts.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Got a 1cc in Contra Hard Corps (joke ending) with Fang. Very easy game once you figure out the patterns, even after not playing it for a few weeks and being slightly inebriated. Incredibly fun tho. Fang's damage annihilates most bosses.

Cleared Fight 'N Rage with Gal. Did alright until the final boss, where she seems to struggle a little more than other characters. I can see why people like her, but I vastly prefer Ricardo.

Tried playing Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge after purchasing it on sale on GOG. Spent almost an hour trying to get the controls sorted with my arcade stick, but for some reason it wouldn't register diagonals and movement had annoying lag. Was disappointed. Not loving this aspect of PC gaming.

Ranked up to my highest level on Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, but shot back down again rather quickly. Can't seem to play at a consistency I'd like. One day I'm great and and the next very mediocre. Might just be old age setting in sadly...
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Leviathan wrote: Tried playing Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge after purchasing it on sale on GOG. Spent almost an hour trying to get the controls sorted with my arcade stick, but for some reason it wouldn't register diagonals and movement had annoying lag. Was disappointed. Not loving this aspect of PC gaming.
Not too surprised by this since I read a review of the switch version that said the game only uses the analog stick for movement. Not sure if that was fixed, though. Makes zero sense for a port of a GBA game to use analog with no option for dpad.

edit: dpad support was added to the switch version in a patch.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BrianC wrote:
Leviathan wrote: Tried playing Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge after purchasing it on sale on GOG. Spent almost an hour trying to get the controls sorted with my arcade stick, but for some reason it wouldn't register diagonals and movement had annoying lag. Was disappointed. Not loving this aspect of PC gaming.
Not too surprised by this since I read a review of the switch version that said the game only uses the analog stick for movement. Not sure if that was fixed, though. Makes zero sense for a port of a GBA game to use analog with no option for dpad.

edit: dpad support was added to the switch version in a patch.
This is good information, thank you. Sounds bananas the d-pad wouldn't be supported. There's an option beofre the game loads up to configure your controller, but despite configuring the d-pad, it doesn't work. I'll switch to analogue too see if it works, though I might refund it. A lot of games on GOG lately seem to struggle to support a PS4 controller/stick, even those that did before.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Xenogears
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

CyberAngel wrote:Great writeup, Durandal.
I take that back. It's too nitpicky.

Don't get me wrong, the points are well-explained and understandable. But they're very obviously coming from someone who is extremely well-versed in classic FPS mapping and expects to be challenged with all that knowledge taken into account. As a result, they miss a lot of nuance in things that have been obviously fine-tuned just right to impress but not overwhelm the more casual genre fans. And also how well they're balanced for all the challenges the game offers - Duskmare, speedruns, pacifist etc. Actually, it did help me see just that and gave me the inspiration to try them eventually, so at least thanks for that.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

These are the days of oversupply. Good to see not every kind of it must be environmentally charged, at least.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Just passed the 60 hour mark in Rain World.

Finished it once, started it again, played most of the way through and then got sucked into hard mode.

It's a pretty unique game and to be honest I've never played anything quite like it. It can be frustrating at times, but generally that signifies it is time for a break.

Overall totally worth it. Occasional frustration aside I have really enjoyed my time with it.
My lord, I have come for you.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

As of today, I'm no longer part of the 'Haven't Played Deus Ex Club'. 
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ajora wrote:As of today, I'm no longer part of the 'Haven't Played Deus Ex Club'. 
If there's one game I wish I could erase from memory and play through again for the first time, it's be this or DS1. I threw a two day sickie to play DE though on PS2, literally didn't move from my chair unless it was to refresh the drink supply or use the facilities. Enjoy!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Gave Outrun 2 SP Special Tours (JP PS2) a try yesterday, and I wasn't expecting the entire menus and options to be in Japanese.
And I mean entirely, couldn't even find and configure the screen options, as you won't even read '16:9' or '480p' anywhere, it's all katakana or whatever, everywhere.
So I tried stuff at random but with no intelligible results, and gave up after a while lol, it's rare that I would but if I can't even get that it is hopeless for the game modes etc whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With some games the language barrier can be a wall, but usually it's text-heeavy games, not arcade-action ones, so that was a surprise.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ryu

Post by ryu »

Surely there's a translation on the web?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Couldn't find one. Thinking about it, everyone knows of 2006/c2c and some are aware the improvements of that late JP release, but probably very few people outside of Japan have actually played it.
Here on this forum IIRC only Fudoh seems to have experience with that version, besides that you'll only find a couple obscure videos on youtube that don't tell much, and...that's about it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

If you really need it I could provide a translation, just need screenshots or a video as reference
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I have Outrun 2 SP Special Tours as well, I could take videos or something if that'd help.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Have you tried a katakana chart? Some games have words in English using katakana and it helped me with f-zero climax and Sin and Punishment.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'd 100 times prefer a collage with your translation guys, that's definitive, but I need time to prepare one.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Give me a little while and I'll have footage recorded of all the menus.

'course, if a translation is made, I'd also like to host it over on Rolling Start. ;)
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Thanks! but let me tell you that collage will look ugly as I'm not doing it in comfy conditions right now.

Anyway it's the translation that matters, anyone can make a sexier-looking one later. :p
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

CyberAngel wrote:
CyberAngel wrote:Great writeup, Durandal.
But they're very obviously coming from someone who is extremely well-versed in classic FPS mapping and expects to be challenged with all that knowledge taken into account. As a result, they miss a lot of nuance in things that have been obviously fine-tuned just right to impress but not overwhelm the more casual genre fans.-
I'd sooner chalk that up to the difficulty settings not adjusting enemy placement per setting; on repeat playthroughs global damage modifiers can only make up for lousy pacing because of lousy enemy placement so much. Re: ZeroRanger speeding up portions of some stages after clearing the game once so it retains the cinematic build-up for first-time players and preserves a more compact pacing for repeat players who have already seen the cinematic bits and just want to get to the gameplay quicker.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Outrun 2 SP menus, hopefully I got them them all, if not, lemme know.

My videos
ryu

Post by ryu »

7 minutes of menuing lol.

Don't know what Xyga is up to with his collage. My plan would be to overlay the translations to pictures from the video or at least add index numbers referring to the english in plain text
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lol I haven't watched the video yet but will do immediately.

So, even if no one uses these, here you go (shit quality quick paintjob because working on small notebook, no mouse, crap camera)

Here's the options menu structure;
Spoiler
Some license options (?) and ingame pause menu;
Spoiler
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sorry for double-post but BTW; on HDD I get no music, either it's an OPL issue or I've disabled the bgm lol.

EDIT: alright unlike the western version it requires Mode 1. Looks like it doesn't support IGR so mode 6 as well, I think...

And 480p is triangle+cross on boot.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

My workaround when setting up Outrun 2 SP on a chipped PS2 was firing up the PC version on a PC facing the TV where it was on, counting steps.
(Yes, the PC one takes the silly flare lenses manual fix for it to fully shine, but that's the worst of it. You literally move one file from one place to another and there you have it.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Durandal wrote:I'd sooner chalk that up to the difficulty settings not adjusting enemy placement per setting; on repeat playthroughs global damage modifiers can only make up for lousy pacing because of lousy enemy placement so much. Re: ZeroRanger speeding up portions of some stages after clearing the game once so it retains the cinematic build-up for first-time players and preserves a more compact pacing for repeat players who have already seen the cinematic bits and just want to get to the gameplay quicker.
Fair enough, and I'd rather see difficulty scaling done that way too. But now that I think about it, there's one thing that would make that a bad idea in this case - infighting works for everyone, no "same species immunity" like in Doom. Trying to fix that would clash with other features and would generally be more trouble than it's worth. So I kinda understand now why a very different approach to difficulty was taken, and the levels are balanced well enough around it. Or at least balanced enough to make DUSKMARE low-tech pacifist speedruns possible. And fun, given how much you can still break the game that way.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Quick translation for the menues Xyga posted. Let me know if there's need for everything in Ghegs video...

Menu1
Spoiler
  • - Settings (to Menu2)
    - Controls (to Menu5)
    - Sound
    - Load / Save (to Menu4)
Menu2
Spoiler
  • - Screen position (to Menu3)
    - Screen size [ Normal | Widescreen ]
    - Camera [ Bumper | Cockpit | Back ]
    - Speed gauge display [ Km/h ... ]
    - Time setting [ Very easy | Easy | Normal | Hard | Very Hard ]
    - Show ghost car [ On | Off ]

Menu3
Spoiler
Adjust screen position via dpad or left stick (O: default. X: back)
Menu4
Spoiler
  • - Autosave [ On | Off ]
    - Load
    - Save
Menu5
Spoiler
  • - Configuration Type A
    - Handling
    - Vibration

L1(2?): Shift down, R1(2?): Shift up
    Dpad/Lstick: turn
    Start: Pause menu
    Triangle: Switch view
    Square: Brake
    X: Accelerate
Profile ("License") Options
Spoiler
  • - Choose Profile
    - Edit Profile
    - Delete Profile
Pause Menu
Spoiler
  • - Return to game
    - Retry
    - End game
    - Settings
    - Controls
    - Sound
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh yeah! VERY useful! 8) thanks ryu. I'll edit the pics later.