What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Marc

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Marc »

Cheers man, was just about ready to throw the machine through the window.

Deleted GRID last night. It can't make its mind up what it is. Either way, the AI is brain-dead on normal, and aggressive to the point of taking you out on every corner on hard, couldn't find a balance that didn't annoy me so off it goes.

And because it was on sale, I've bought probably my 7/8th copy of Duke Nukem 3D, for X1X this time. I've actually been playing Project Warlock recently, but starting this yet again only serves to remind how much better its level design is that just about every one of its contemporaries/imitators. I've got Ion Fury in the pile somewhere, I hope that's as good.

Also, HOW ON EARTH, has it taken me so long to realise just how good Neo Turf Masters is? Absolute, pure, arcade brilliance.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Bought Guilty Gear Strive. It's really weird. It feels distinctly... un-Guilty Gear.
If GG played like this back when I first got into it [my first time was playing a GGX cab in 2005 or 2006 IIRC], I don't think I'd care nearly as much about the series as I do. Everything about the movement just felt good from X to Xrd, and in Strive, they slowed down everything so much and gutted movesets, it feels so off.
It's still kinda fun, but... I wish Xrd had better netcode instead [or I lived closer to my friends from uni]. :lol:
The game is at least very, very pretty.
I might get used to it in time, but if Xrd was a major step forward in looks and a fairly odd step back in mechanics from AC+R [all the way to #Reload even], then Strive is a moderate step forward in looks and a massive step back in mechanics from Rev2.

why doesn't Sol have Dragon Install anymore ??????? :lol:
the worst bit is that Ky has it, and you can't have the super hype moment where both of you pop Dragon Install in Strive

Also like, apparently ASW has no idea how to write basic network code for accessing a server and it constantly re-connects over 100 times while transferring data, so opening the game up involves a 2-3 minute load because of the massive, massive overhead [the connection is HTTPS, so there's a LOT more overhead with negotiation].
There's a third party launcher utility [look up totsugeki.exe] that un-fucks it down to like 30-40 seconds by caching requests and using the same connection to the server more than once, but it's really dumb that this is even a problem.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Man I fully agree with so much of what you said

I've tried to talk to people about how off Strive feels to me but the hype train response is just "it's fun!"
Maybe it is..? I'm gonna try to get into it.

removing Gatlings because this somehow makes the game accessible is still one of the dumb-as-bricks fucking stupid ideas I've ever heard. Over half the roster in +R can put a semi-decent combo together by just hitting buttons in ascending order.
In Strive they can't, forcing players to learn characters to simply be able to play. It's bizarre is what it is.

The ironic thing is I could never get into GG until I played +R a lot more..... to get ready for Strive.
Well now I love AC+R with a half-decent May that gives trouble to most people I play (except Kai rofl).
I even upgrading my gfx card mostly for strive..

the contacting server BS is just absurd. I have totsugeki now but you can't play network games with it on, I had to restart and sit through the whole vanilla connecting experience yesterday just so cave hermit could kick my ass.

( I even prefer most of Xrd's designs.. :| )
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Managed to 1CC Rainbow Islands live on stream, so happy about that.
Less happy about the guy cracking racists and sexist jokes behind me while I played, making the recording kinda useless :P

Gonna play my Wonderboy in Monster Land run in about an hour. Metal Slug will be going on until then.

http://twitch.tv/the_shed_arcade
BIL

Post by BIL »

Congrats bud! Even from my casual dalliances with RI, I could tell it's a beast to keep under control. Overdubbing with run commentary an option? :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's a good idea actually!

Gonna do Liquid Kids in an hour or so. Will do my best to show how it's done :)
After that miserable DS run, I think anything can go wrong (still 1CC'ed, but got hit a ton)

Edit: Well nevermind. I think I got a little too cocky after no-missing the game in practice. I'll record a decent run later.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm interested to watch some of your Liquid Kids footage when you have some. That's a real blast-from-the-past for me.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Took my revenge this morning XD

https://www.twitch.tv/the_shed_arcade/v/1118989992?sr=a

Two dumb deaths, but it should be pretty obvious how to avoid them.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

oh that's such an awesome game. thank you for sharing
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've been trying to 1CC Mr. Driller G's Egypt stage... I've finally got the clear in sight, but my runs have been ending at 1875 M. I need to more consistently no-miss to 1300 M.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Man, I thought you already had that clear and were going for the medal :D
I did it with the robot character, but that's kinda cheap. I want to do it with one of the fast guys.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

No, never 1CC'd the 2000 M courses. I've managed to beat out the top scores on my PCB for India and America (Taizo and Puchi) getting pretty respectable air perfect/medal scores. I feel bad bumping my local friends off the list, but hey, I want those top spots! Taizo and Puchi are probably my faves; I like Taizo's rapid downward speed, and I like Puchi's forgivingness for grabbing air containers, despite the lower digging speed. My current goal is to try and survival clear with Puchi, then go for score attack on Egypt and North Pole & Space with Taizo...

The only clear score for Egypt on my PCB is a Taizo run at 1.9 mil. I'm not sure if that's a basic clear score or if it's an air perfect run... but I'll see what I get with a 1CC and then go from there. There's no clear scores of North Pole on my board so any run that hits 2000 M will beat the scores there. Space has some hefty runs with Holinger-Z (the robot) with one at like 2300 M.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

My Egypt clear score is ~1.32 mil without any perfect air bonus, but even though 1.9 mil sounds like it's quite a bit higher, I'm assuming the difference comes from the driller medal you get once you clear a certain scoring threshold.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That's helpful to know. The Taizo clear may well be an air perfect score then with 0 or 1 miss. I know my America score is a solid medal score with I think a 1 miss? I should photograph my boards for posterity.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Finally nabbed an Egypt clear with Puchi. Not air perfect and 3 miss, but it's a clear. 1.21 mil. I suspect the top score is an air perfect. It's also a full 6 minutes faster (Taizo's a speedy gent after all).
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Mr. Driller G:

If memory serves, the time bonus and the perfect air bonus are but substantial (...too lazy to google them), but the air bonus should be dramatically so if you are really fast.

My own subjective experience (from 10-15 years ago or so...), is that no-missing air becomes really difficult in the last 4-5 stages, but it can lead to a no-death game as the next step (learn to collect air in any situation --> learn to avoid squashing deaths in any situation).

Speed clears should revolve around piercing (well, drilling!) through stages and causing mass cancelling chain reactions as the only safety measure to avoid getting squashed before you can reach the next level (i.e. learn to cause block to clear themselves via chain reactions, so to speak).

Personally, I felt that I had to completely re-organise my strategies and I gave up at some point, so you may or may not want to pursue those top scores.

Absolutely adorable game for me, and I am kinda tempted to get one title so I can play (again) with the waifu, after reading these posts.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Had a bunch of fun matches in Guilty Gear Strive [PC]. Really wish totsugeki.exe bloody worked with online play, spent like 4 minutes doing other shit on the computer waiting for the game to start. :lol:
Really, the only real issue is the start-up, it'd be nice if it just closed and stopped handling things after the game opened.

Had a few early matches against a few people who were really bad. I'd just do something really unsafe that they kept walking into repeatedly, and then when they stopped doing things because they kept getting hit, I'd just walk up and grab them.
Speaking of grabs, I really, really like forward+dust being grab. Grabs in GG always felt a bit nonsense, especially with it selecting against heavy slash. I don't like the other changes to how the dust button works though -- dust is risky enough, why make the launcher have even more commitment? [The answer is Strive has very high damage, but still.]

After that, my opponents got better, and it's not like I moved up a lobby, I was just getting matched with better players.
It feels so weird doing things that resemble actual ground footsies in GG, I'm so used to everything being so fast that you can get away with unironic, shameless UNGA BUNGA nonsense. :lol:
The vastly weaker airdash helps [goodbye instant movement, goodbye momentum], so now you need a more measured, planned approach vs "let's just cross this idiot up lol, oh he's blocking low still anyway so whatever, GET HIT".

Had a few stuttery matches, but the netcode holds up pretty well even under miserable conditions. It's far, far from ideal, but I haven't had any hideous slow-motion matches, and at no point did I feel like I couldn't react to something because of the network. I've said it before, but rollback is magic.
Still, it's really annoying when the game is trying to resync and it's just like, "well fuck, I'm pressing a button, but this 2 second pause gives my opponent time to react now". Helped me out a few times too, at least.

I've decided to settle down as May for now -- was mediocre with her in Xrd [where she was also a bit more complicated], but right now, she has just the right sort of kit that I need.
I played a very unconventional Millia in XX and Xrd, so half the buttons I'd press don't do what I expect anymore, and what she does have left is geared more towards normal Millia players and I need to break years of bad habits to do the "correct" things. :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:Managed to 1CC Rainbow Islands live on stream, so happy about that.
Less happy about the guy cracking racists and sexist jokes behind me while I played, making the recording kinda useless :P

Gonna play my Wonderboy in Monster Land run in about an hour. Metal Slug will be going on until then.

http://twitch.tv/the_shed_arcade
Awesome, congrats!
Really, really hoping this makes it to AA. What I wouldn't do for M2 versions of the PS/Xbox comps.....
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Assuming you're talking about the Taito Legends compilations? (cause the Monster Land/World compilations on PS/Xbox are already by M2 :D)
I think a new port of Rainbow Islands is absolutely overdue. At the very least the PS2 version of Taito Legends is too laggy for me to play it properly.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

null1024 wrote:Had a bunch of fun matches in Guilty Gear Strive [PC]
Totsugeki does work with online! It has worked for me the second time I tried it and from then on. Maybe it just works on the second time? dunno

Yeah I picked up some wins against randos yesterday, like braindead Sol idiot #344 who tried to walk forward and grab me 3 times. I mixed him 2 def in the corner. Felt good man cause I got bodied previously in 12 matches by a chipp girl on my friendlist, wasn't even close, felt like i couldn't hit a button.

Game's settled me at Floor 6 in the tower. I might be here a while.

I'm glad we're both enjoying it a bit more. The final boss is Squire Grooktook, waiting up there with Ram
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:Assuming you're talking about the Taito Legends compilations? (cause the Monster Land/World compilations on PS/Xbox are already by M2 :D)
I think a new port of Rainbow Islands is absolutely overdue. At the very least the PS2 version of Taito Legends is too laggy for me to play it properly.
Sorry yeah, the Taito comps. Shame they were such a poor job, the actual line-ups were brilliant.
AA had all gone a bit quiet on the Taito side until Kuri Kinton, and we know Liquid Kids is due, so fingers crossed.....
Although if they wanted to to a Bubble/RA collection in the style of the recent Darius ones I'd be all over that as well. Still trying to talk myself out of paying stupid money for the mini Egret.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hell yeah, Bubble Bobble + Rainbow Islands + Parasol Stars + Bubble Symphony + Bubble Memories, that would be a godlike compilation! All incredibly good games.

I hadn't heard of the upcoming Liquid Kids release, that is cool. For as adorable as it is, it definitely isn't anywhere near as excellently crafted as the others. It's a little wonky due to the physics simulation it relies on, and enemies in the game are genuine damage sponges - but at the same time, there's just so much to like about it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Randorama wrote:Mr. Driller G:=
As far as I can tell, there's three keys to scoring: Air Perfect bonus gives a hefty flat bonus at the end, remaining lives give a good chunk of score, and there's a substantial clear time bonus for beating the stage quickly, where above a certain time you score 0 and any faster than that gives a bonus that scales to how quick you were. There's also a huge bonus for obtaining a medal rank; if you score above a certain value, you'll be given a substantial additional clear bonus. In my experience, getting air perfect + 1 miss tends to be sufficient to trigger this, even with a modest or poor clear time. I suspect it's setup so the sheer score you get from air perfect + no miss will always trigger the medal rank?

There's also scoring for clearing blocks via chains, but it's ultimately trivial compared to the fast clear time bonus.

And yeah, in the later levels air drops so fast that dawdling to try and get air tanks is simply not possible. The trick to descending quickly without running out of air is to constantly maintain your pace, and as you reach enclosed air tanks to clear the blocks from below so the air tank falls on you as you keep descending. It's tricky, since this naturally puts you into risky crushing situations, so being able to quickly read how blocks will fall and how to dodge them becomes important.

It's also helpful to learn the actual stages. Even though the blocks are randomized, you can get a feel for which stages have easy air tank layouts (Egypt has two easy 2-colour stages at 600 M and 1300 M, North Pole starts with two very limited air stages where you have to rush to 200 M where it's basically full of air tanks).
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Doki Doki Gravity Drive just dropped on GOG and I'm liking it a lot.

Feels like a lost 5th arcade game by Vid Kidz from the 80s. A Mario-Galaxy-style arena shooter where you hop from planet to planet orbiting a deadly black hole while fighting off dastardly polygons.

Not to be confused with Curved Space, which also recently dropped on GOG but the demo feelt half-baked to me.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Roo: I do not remember any other factors than the ones you mention, but I do remember that air capsules' locations should not be randomized.
A vague memory is that there is a limit to possible configurations of blocks that you can deal with, for each stage (i.e. the game engine seems to have 8-10 block configurations for each stage).
I wonder if the PS1/2 version is different from the arcade version, as I was playing it on console.

Best of luck!
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've conquered the scoreboard on my Driller G PCB for 3 out of the 5 modes (North Pole didn't have a clear score, reaching 1300 M got a 1st place score). I'm taking a break from Egypt and North Pole for now as I'm a long way off from clearing them without tons of deaths... There's a hefty 2300 M run of Space that's my next target using Holinger-Z (sorry brendz, I'm out for blood :P). What's the general strategy for Space? There's a huge pool of potential effects from the ? blocks, the most obvious and useful being the +5 max air as well as the full air recovery, but there's also a TON of nasty potential bad effects including:

• randomly changing blocks into spheres, flashing blocks, or brown blocks
• flipping the stage or rotating the stage 90 degrees, which represents an immediate threat of being crushed
• halving your remaining air (!!), arguably the meanest result of all and it can happen even when the alarm's sounding due to being low on air

I'm not sure what's ideal... hoping RNG gives me enough max bonuses to carry 150 air around then ignore the ? blocks, or to constantly go after ? blocks and hope for good RNG.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Roo, I must apologise because I do not remember anything about Space mode, and maybe it wasn't even in the PS version (or I am too old to remember, and too lazy to check :wink: ).

From what you're saying, though, I would avoid "?" blocks altogether, since they sound like a pain in the ass. They seem to increase the degree of random events to an unpleasant level, especially once you have a good grasp of the possible random block patterns you can encounter in the game.

...on the other hand, I'd play the game and use the "?" on any non-scored oriented run, for the lulz. Maybe I may just emulate this one and see what the deal is about :P
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Conquest of Elysium 5

I just finished my first game as a necromancer on a medium map. Love the new necromancer rituals, especially the skull pyramid siege weapon. My main necromancer has become an immortal lich, one of my apprentices became an immortal vampire who can fly, and I've managed to summon a giant Tartarian Spirit that solos armies (thanks in part to the regeneration amulet I've given him). All my rivals are dead but the Baron, and I'm closing in on his castle when the apocalypse hits.

Not the literal apocalypse caused by the Voice of El faction, mind you. There was an ancient forest guarded by three green enchantresses that I decided wasn't worth the bother. Big mistake. Suddenly I get a message that the enchantresses have opened a portal to the Primal Plane and gigantic beasts and Druidic Gods are pouring through. I kill the enchantress with my lich and raise a small army of skeletal beasts that I plan to leave on the portal to keep it capped, but the next round several druid gods barge through and sweep aside my bear skeletons and temporarily kill my lich. My tartarian spirit bolsters a city under siege by two gods and barely survives, but as a bonus a lucky roll with his melee chain weapons, enslaved the "God of Hammers" who is now on my side.

Things quickly go from bad to worse. My vampire locates the Baron's castle and is killed, but manages to zap a couple dozen soldiers with fatal decay spells before he goes down. Then the druid goddess of water attacks the castle where my dead vampire has just resurrected in really bad shape and overruns it. Soon another pack of gods overrun the temple that holds my lich's phylactry. And the Druid god of hammers dies defending my Tartarian spirit, which is worse than it sounds because the only way to permanently kill these druid gods is to kill them on their home plane, so hammer-god is gonna be back and he's gonna be an enemy again. I abandon any concern for defending my cities and send the lich and tartarian spirit on a beeline for the Baron's castle. The tartarian spirit makes it there first and I snatch a narrow victory from the jaws of defeat.

Conquest of Elysium is just an awesome AAR generating machine!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Finished up Greak: Memories of Azur.

What a lovely game, it's like The Lost Vikings with a bit more emphasis on action and exploration. Absolutely gorgeous hand-drawn art and animation. A bit on the short side (took me maybe ~10 hours) and I wanted it to last just a little bit longer, but that's a far more preferred option to wishing the damn thing would end already.

It's not perfect mechanically, as switching between and controlling the three characters simultaneously can be clunky at times. There was one boss fight that I had to try a few times because my inactive characters kept dying, and another where I managed to bypass that problem completely by discovering an easy cheese method. The combat is simple overall but the game really shines in the very last area which is basically a huge puzzle area.

Greak was actually an in-between game as I'm waiting for my copy of Shadowverse: Champion's Battle to arrive. I tried the eShop demo out on a whim (my experience with CCG's is basically limited to Triple Triad) and over the course of a few days played it for more than 16 hours. Even though everything in the demo can be seen in about 45 minutes. But you can still continue playing against NPCS, tweaking your decks, and collecting cards and in-game money (there's no microtransactions) and the demo's save file will carry over to the full game. So I figured the game deserves my money.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
guigui

Post by guigui »

I also tried the demi of Shadowverse and had a good time.
The card game seems to be deep enough to need good strategy and team building. I wish it was more batlle oriented and less anime chit-chat...
Since the price tag is high, I’ll certainly not buy it until big sale, but would love to hear your opinion on the full game if you get it.

Also wondering if therevare other games like this in the Switch : card battle, gain cards permanently, no roguelike ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.