What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ghegs

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Ghegs »

Clearing out the backlog...

Warhammer 40,000: Shootas, Blood & Teef

I thought Flash died, why are they still making games with it? Pretty bad twin stick run'n gun with plenty of bad design choices, and horribly optimized on the Switch.

They Always Run

Sort of Prince of Persia/Flashback -esque cinematic action-platformer, looks gorgeous, has a cool space western-ish setting and some neat lore, but damn has it got some jank. Lots of small bugs, and some bigger ones too (you can unlock an ability to crash down from above to do damage - more often than not I just clipped through the floor, out of bounds, and into death) but nothing game-breaking. When you get into the groove of the combat parkour it feels awesome and I had a blast playing it, but it is like a great B-movie. You're fully aware of the bad parts, but you're just having so much fun you don't care.

But damn, the ending.
Spoiler
It pretty much ends mid-scene. Credits roll, back to main menu. I reloaded my save three times to make sure I wasn't missing something, but nope, that's the end. It's like the game's budget ran out at that exact spot, so that's where the game ends. Very unsatisfactory.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Ghegs wrote:Clearing out the backlog...

Warhammer 40,000: Shootas, Blood & Teef

I thought Flash died, why are they still making games with it? Pretty bad twin stick run'n gun with plenty of bad design choices, and horribly optimized on the Switch.

They Always Run

Sort of Prince of Persia/Flashback -esque cinematic action-platformer, looks gorgeous, has a cool space western-ish setting and some neat lore, but damn has it got some jank. Lots of small bugs, and some bigger ones too (you can unlock an ability to crash down from above to do damage - more often than not I just clipped through the floor, out of bounds, and into death) but nothing game-breaking. When you get into the groove of the combat parkour it feels awesome and I had a blast playing it, but it is like a great B-movie. You're fully aware of the bad parts, but you're just having so much fun you don't care.

But damn, the ending.
Spoiler
It pretty much ends mid-scene. Credits roll, back to main menu. I reloaded my save three times to make sure I wasn't missing something, but nope, that's the end. It's like the game's budget ran out at that exact spot, so that's where the game ends. Very unsatisfactory.
Im gonna look up this Flashback game on Steam sale. Seems good.

I'm currently playing Doom Eternal. The main campaign was a bit stressful to clear but it's a decent game. Now I'm playing the DLCs but I put in the easiest setting cause I had enough of it. Feeling much better now.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Slay the Spire. Good stuff, I'm trying to go for a heart kill but the leap from clearing the normal game to killing the heart is enormous.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Got to play a bit of Daemon X Machina and my initial impression isn't that bad, but the machine does feel unreasonably floaty. Gotta play it more before I get a real sense of the game.
I was also replaying the first Armored Core, and apart from how painfully slow turning is, I still love this game. I do wish I had like, real twin-stick control, but alas. I mapped everything pretty nicely enough.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Lander

TOIME FER A BIT O' THE RUFF AN' TUMBLE

Post by Lander »

After two decades of dodging Infinity Engine games via a gradually-weakening conceit of "I dun like WRPGs", I caved and started Baldur's Gate.

And it's excellent, befitting its stature as one of the old gods of the genre. Considering that all my nostalgia is second-hand, it holds up better than many of its modern peers. The AD&D2E ruleset - while still a bit intimidating - is entirely manageable, creating a nice low-level experience of searching for areas where you can get your foot in the door and come up on some good gear.

The companions aren't as tied to the story as I expected - existing in more of a create-your-own-adventure sense - but that plays nicely to the game's free-roaming strengths. I went Khalid / Jaheira / Ajantis / Imoen / Garrick for the early game, then Minsc / Xan / Branwyn / Imoen / Dynaheir for the late game, and what a lovable lot they are :)

I think I'd rather play this than most anything that spawned downstream of it, like Dragon Age or post-2000 Elder Scrolls. It's very much traditional pre-deconstruction fantasy, and I've been enjoying the fact that sometimes a gnoll is just a gnoll. Though there's still plenty of subversion, with some fun jabs at RPG player habits hidden away in there.
null1024 wrote:Got to play a bit of Daemon X Machina and my initial impression isn't that bad, but the machine does feel unreasonably floaty. Gotta play it more before I get a real sense of the game.
Daemon X Machina is a bit of fun, though nowhere as deep as its Zone of the Enders / Armored Core influences imo. I remember it feeling much the same at the end as it did at the start, without much in the way of mechanical progression curve.

Though I only played the campaign - didn't touch the online Monster Hunter side of it. Through that lens, it felt a lot like a PS Vita title; more about delivering unremarkable weeb content through a proven framework than being a top-flight mech game.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I beat the Heart in Slay The Spire. Absolutely amazing run. I loaded up on defense and was cruzin'. Got a few nice relics that let me get an extremely consistent set up in turn one. The last three battles I took zero damage from bosses, and only took damage on the Act 3 boss because I played a card that was self damaging.

Total deck size was only 21 cards; with a bottled Barricade+, 2x entrench+ and 2x impervious+ carrying me.

Also had a gambling chip so I could reroll my starting hand and look for impervious+ and entrench+ while holding onto my Barricade+.
Sima Tuna

Re: TOIME FER A BIT O' THE RUFF AN' TUMBLE

Post by Sima Tuna »

Lander wrote:After two decades of dodging Infinity Engine games via a gradually-weakening conceit of "I dun like WRPGs", I caved and started Baldur's Gate.

And it's excellent, befitting its stature as one of the old gods of the genre. Considering that all my nostalgia is second-hand, it holds up better than many of its modern peers. The AD&D2E ruleset - while still a bit intimidating - is entirely manageable, creating a nice low-level experience of searching for areas where you can get your foot in the door and come up on some good gear.

The companions aren't as tied to the story as I expected - existing in more of a create-your-own-adventure sense - but that plays nicely to the game's free-roaming strengths. I went Khalid / Jaheira / Ajantis / Imoen / Garrick for the early game, then Minsc / Xan / Branwyn / Imoen / Dynaheir for the late game, and what a lovable lot they are :)

I think I'd rather play this than most anything that spawned downstream of it, like Dragon Age or post-2000 Elder Scrolls. It's very much traditional pre-deconstruction fantasy, and I've been enjoying the fact that sometimes a gnoll is just a gnoll. Though there's still plenty of subversion, with some fun jabs at RPG player habits hidden away in there.
Yep!

I played Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time a couple years ago, after I had already played KotoR 1, KotoR 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and Jade Empire. You know what? Baldur's Gate isn't just "better for the time" than those games. It's still better. Better then, better now. Not only it holds up better, but even judged without a sense of which game came first, BG1 is better.

I love the introduction. You can skip all the tutorial shit in about 5 seconds and be dumped into the open world. BG1 is one of the most replayable RPGs, between that, the massive pile of Companions, the open-ended, objectives-focused story (which doesn't moralize) and the near-endless ways you can build your main character.

The writing is better than what came after. The gameplay is excellent once you adjust to real-time with pause.

I have 200+ hours in BG1. Maybe more. I've played quite a bit of BG2 as well, but not as much. BG2 is a good game, but it's also quite scripted compared to BG1 and it has fewer companions. It's a more structured experience that caters to modern sensibilities. It still offers more freedom than modern rpgs do, but there are a lot of timed and semi-timed quests you'll feel compelled to rush through. BG1 has very few quests with time limits.

There are many imitators out there, especially in recent years. But most of the modern CRPGs don't hit me the same way. They lack the same witty writing, or they handhold too much, or they force me to engage in shitty building minigames (pathfinder kingmaker and pillars 1 both do this) when I want to adventure. Pillars 2 and Divinity 2 are alright. Divinity 2's pace is glacial thanks to being turn based with enemies that can take forever to decide on shit. I'm currently playing it. Pillars 2 is good but feels like a lesser child of BG.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Sima Tuna wrote:I love the introduction. You can skip all the tutorial shit in about 5 seconds and be dumped into the open world. BG1 is one of the most replayable RPGs, between that, the massive pile of Companions, the open-ended, objectives-focused story (which doesn't moralize) and the near-endless ways you can build your main character.
Yeah, the openness is really appealing. I'd like to go back and do an evil party at some point, since I lost Xzar and Montaron to the chapter 2 nag timer after seeing all my journal quests disappear (into a slightly too-well-hidden previous page) and reloading to go on a massive wanderlust binge.
Probably wouldn't have kept them around since it was a neutral good run, but I had a vague plan of running rescue missions to move all companions to the Friendly Arm that didn't pan out, and didn't dig too far into the Tales of the Sword Coast stuff either, so there's plenty to go back for.

I thought the writing was great throughout, though the plot got a bit bumpy in a few places - notably the 10-day countdown when you hit BG for the first time, a couple of parts near the end that railroad you into a corner so the plot can move on, and the rather abrupt ending.
But I can easily forgive that, given how ambitious and otherwise successful the implementation is. Branching narrative still isn't universally solved all this time later, so I can hardly blame a seminal work for hitting common snags.
Sima Tuna wrote:There are many imitators out there, especially in recent years. But most of the modern CRPGs don't hit me the same way. They lack the same witty writing, or they handhold too much, or they force me to engage in shitty building minigames (pathfinder kingmaker and pillars 1 both do this) when I want to adventure. Pillars 2 and Divinity 2 are alright. Divinity 2's pace is glacial thanks to being turn based with enemies that can take forever to decide on shit. I'm currently playing it. Pillars 2 is good but feels like a lesser child of BG.
I really enjoyed Disco Elysium as my first (and until now, only) CRPG, though that's riffing on a very different subgenre than BG's classical high adventure.

Limited though my experience is, I feel the Siege of Dragonspear expansion for BGEE is a poster child for the they-don't-make-em-like-they-used-to effect. I gave it a go after the post-ending segue, and even with the returning cast it's just not the same with modern writing and direction.
On the one hand, I enjoyed the high-fidelity intro dungeon and was delighted to have a conversation with Minsc that didn't end in HRUUUUUUSK!, but even the good bits of script and line delivery are two inches to the left of where they should be.

And structurally, it's a botch. Should have been put out as a standalone interquel, because it contracts the game rather than expanding it a-la ToTSC. I'm sure Safana is great, but I never met her, so replacing Imoen out of nowhere was really jarring.
Though the kicker for me was the contrivance used to reset your GP; letting the full 40k go accounted for during the intro dungeon only for the treasurer to piss it all away when you return is just insulting.
And then salting the wound by having you find the thieves and receive a lecture on the hero's wants versus the needs of the people, that's enough to make all but the most boyscout of adventurers draw steel and spend the rest of the campaign playing chaotic evil out of spite.

Safe to say, I decided to go order-of-release from there. Jumped to Planescape with no regrets - 8 hours in and I've spent most of it chatting over ale in the local taverns and convincing Mebbeth to teach me magic.
Last thing I did was walk two screens east, engage in a bit of absentminded party upkeep, and accidentally powerlevel to Lv5 mage on the spot by helping a companion with their theological doubts. Bloody brilliant :lol:
guigui

Post by guigui »

It's been quite a while now that I want to try a Baldur's Gate run, and reading you guys hits me in the right spot.

Though I dont have much time for gaming, and when investing in an RPG this big, I like to start correctly and try to get the most enjoyable time for the only run I'll be able to make.
Any beginner advices to make the run good and enjoyable ? I'm not talking about optimal parties or advanced strategies, just things I should/shouldn't do.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Baldur's Gate always sounds like a game I really want to play, but then I remember actually trying to play it back when it came out. It's just a painful experience. I retried it years later, and didn't even have the patience to move all the way out of the starting area :P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

mostly rubik's cube.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Lander

Post by Lander »

guigui wrote:Any beginner advices to make the run good and enjoyable ? I'm not talking about optimal parties or advanced strategies, just things I should/shouldn't do.
Bind selection / command / UI page hotkeys as early as possible and get comfy with them - does wonders for speeding up the overall pace of the game.

Know what you're going to build beforehand. The companions are mostly easy since you can focus on their strengths and end up with something workable, but the main character and some ancilliary stuff like thief skill allocations benefit a lot from having a plan before you hit the no-take-backsies level up button.
Make sure to spec Find Traps generously, as there are lots of nasty traps later on. I spread points over that, Open Locks, Detect Illusion and Hide in Shadow, and found myself wishing I'd been more focused on locks and traps. The stealth stuff is only really critical for some specific city quests, and there are a few roguish companions around that part of the world who can be subbed in to better handle that.

If companions start nagging you to do something and you care about keeping them, you should do it ASAP.

If you're playing without modding out the EE companions, either gank or recruit Neera in Beregost for her one-of-a-kind gem case.
Explore around Beregost on the world map until you find the High Hedge and buy a potion case there.
Check carefully for buildings with back-facing entrances - there's one in Beregost near the fancy tavern that will yield a quest for a scroll case.
Those three items will save you an absolute ton of in-the-field inventory juggling :)

On the topic of inventory, pick out a nice NPC house to squat in and store items; anything left on the ground (including some quest items) will disappear on map change, but you can put things in containers to make sure that doesn't happen. Very handy for keeping track of important things or fancy gear for a class you don't have yet. I used the Beregost blacksmith, but there's a dwarf who runs a shop a few blocks over with tons of shelves for easier organization.

And if two named thugs accost you in a threatening manner while wandering the streets of Baldur's Gate, make a hard save and take everything they say at face value.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Just in case: original release BG and BGEE are not the same thing. BGEE was made to be consistent with BG2EE, meaning the ruleset is completely different in all kinds of places, and (for what little it's worth) whatever sense of balance the game originally had is obliterated. If you've only played EE and wonder why many monsters have glacially slow movement, it's because the original player avatars walk slower than the BG2 ones used by EE. Plus the new EE content is obnoxious. You might value the idea of one version more than the other.

If you are playing EE and aren't averse to modding it, I recommend Spell Menu Extended to eliminate the growing confusion of one big list of spells. Although it requires EEex which now fixes an ancient, non-critical engine bug that affects normal gameplay; I guess I'll try commenting that out if I reinstall the game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the advices Lander, sounds like waht I was looking of.

Lethe wrote:Just in case: original release BG and BGEE are not the same thing. BGEE was made to be consistent with BG2EE, meaning the ruleset is completely different in all kinds of places, and (for what little it's worth) whatever sense of balance the game originally had is obliterated. If you've only played EE and wonder why many monsters have glacially slow movement, it's because the original player avatars walk slower than the BG2 ones used by EE. Plus the new EE content is obnoxious. You might value the idea of one version more than the other.
I can only play on the Nintendo Switch, and the games available there are"Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Editions". I certainly will only run BG1, no time for both. So you're saying playing the Enhanced Edition of BG1 is not good compared to playing its normal version ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Aye, the version differences are worth knowing about. I figured the original renderer would probably explode if I tried to run it in 4K, so compromised by playing EE and deleting the new NPCs with a standalone WeiDU mod. For what it's worth, it didn't feel obviously broken as a new player, but take that with a grain of salt since RPGs blur that line by nature.

To expand on the new content, a combat arena and post-game campaign were added in EE, as well as sprinkling a handful of brand-new recruitable party members into the base game. It's content, but not up to the standard of the original, and that makes it stick out. Whether it's merely there or constitutes the video game equivalent of Botched Jesus is up to your level of purism :)

Since you're on Switch, some of the new PCs will run up to you and introduce themselves upon first encounter in the world, but can be told to bugger off on the spot if you want to stay vanilla. The rest is strictly optional as far as I know.
Lethe wrote:If you are playing EE and aren't averse to modding it, I recommend Spell Menu Extended to eliminate the growing confusion of one big list of spells.
Counterpoint: Burning Hands and Magic Missile

By Helm, what a scrub I must sound like :lol:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Lander wrote:
null1024 wrote:Got to play a bit of Daemon X Machina and my initial impression isn't that bad, but the machine does feel unreasonably floaty. Gotta play it more before I get a real sense of the game.
Daemon X Machina is a bit of fun, though nowhere as deep as its Zone of the Enders / Armored Core influences imo. I remember it feeling much the same at the end as it did at the start, without much in the way of mechanical progression curve.

Though I only played the campaign - didn't touch the online Monster Hunter side of it. Through that lens, it felt a lot like a PS Vita title; more about delivering unremarkable weeb content through a proven framework than being a top-flight mech game.
It genuinely felt weird seeing all the little MH-like stuff [well, stuff I've seen in MH clones -- despite all of the MH clones I've played a bunch of, I've barely spent any time with MH proper lol] alongside things that felt more like AC proper.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I bought the new Football Manager.

A terrible mistake....too addictive and now I don't have time to play anything else :oops:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

guigui wrote:It's been quite a while now that I want to try a Baldur's Gate run, and reading you guys hits me in the right spot.

Though I dont have much time for gaming, and when investing in an RPG this big, I like to start correctly and try to get the most enjoyable time for the only run I'll be able to make.
Any beginner advices to make the run good and enjoyable ? I'm not talking about optimal parties or advanced strategies, just things I should/shouldn't do.
Just know that level 1 is probably the most challenging part of the game, because your party will feel very weak. It's advisable to stick close to the cities and take easy quests. Don't try to fight any enemy group of more than 2 or 3 humans and avoid large mobs of monsters (outside of xvarts, who have 4hp and suck balls.)

Arcane magic users have very limited spell slots, so it's best to know which spells are useful. Much has been written on this subject, but the cliff's notes version is to grab Sleep and use it until it stops working. Sleep puts all enemies in an area of effect to sleep (they do not wake up when getting hit and your hit chance is 100% against sleeping enemies.) It doesn't work on enemies higher than level 6, however, so it's strictly for early game. In general, spells that cripple are more effective than direct damage spells.

Just take the game slow. Basic gear isn't expensive, so your first job will be to obtain a full party and some basic gear for all of them. Then you want to build everyone to level 2. Once you hit level 2, your party will gain a massive HP boost (fighters will double their hp value) and the game's difficulty curve will smooth out.
Limited though my experience is, I feel the Siege of Dragonspear expansion for BGEE is a poster child for the they-don't-make-em-like-they-used-to effect. I gave it a go after the post-ending segue, and even with the returning cast it's just not the same with modern writing and direction.
On the one hand, I enjoyed the high-fidelity intro dungeon and was delighted to have a conversation with Minsc that didn't end in HRUUUUUUSK!, but even the good bits of script and line delivery are two inches to the left of where they should be.

And structurally, it's a botch. Should have been put out as a standalone interquel, because it contracts the game rather than expanding it a-la ToTSC. I'm sure Safana is great, but I never met her, so replacing Imoen out of nowhere was really jarring.
Though the kicker for me was the contrivance used to reset your GP; letting the full 40k go accounted for during the intro dungeon only for the treasurer to piss it all away when you return is just insulting.
And then salting the wound by having you find the thieves and receive a lecture on the hero's wants versus the needs of the people, that's enough to make all but the most boyscout of adventurers draw steel and spend the rest of the campaign playing chaotic evil out of spite.
I hated Siege of Dragonspear. It combines the worst aspects of Icewind Dale (huge mobs of damage sponge enemies combined with strictly linear level design) with the worst of modern "fantasy game" writing. The villain is so comically evil he may as well be twirling a mustache. And the recruitable companion list was cut in half, leaving many of us out in the cold with regard to our party choices. Want a balanced Evil party in SoD? Yeah, and I want a unicorn. Here's Viconia and Baeloth and get fucked if you want anything else. :lol:

I play Evil most of the time when I play BG1 and 2. My go-to play style is the Selfish Evil looter/mercenary type of character. Korgan is my bro in BG2 and Branwen's my bottom bitch in BG1.

I play the Enhanced Editions of BG1 and BG2. Trying to play the original original game is a massive pain to set up. Beamdog *mostly* did a good job with the EE. The added companions are fairly bad, but the rest of the game is intact and runs well. The major version difference is BG1 runs in BG2's engine, so certain spells don't work the same way they did in original BG1. Entangle used to only affect enemies, but the BG2 engine makes it affect all parties. There are a few spells like this which were nerfed by the change in engine.

Most of my hours in BG1 and 2 were in the Switch version. Keep two manual hard saves and update the oldest every hour or so. The game doesn't crash often but when it does, it can wipe out your last hard save + the autosave. So keep two hardsaves and you'll be good.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Lander wrote: Limited though my experience is, I feel the Siege of Dragonspear expansion for BGEE is a poster child for the they-don't-make-em-like-they-used-to effect. I gave it a go after the post-ending segue, and even with the returning cast it's just not the same with modern writing and direction.

This isn't even a new phenomenon, BG2 pulled all this same stupid bullshit. I've never even made it past the initial Thieves' Guild encounter! I always try to refuse the blackmail since I don't give a fuck about Imoen, but the game literally cheats real hard to railroad you into their storyline. That's shitty DMing 101 stuff.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I'm playing a 2d sidescroller game calle KAze and Wild Masks. People say it's a DKC clone but since I've never played that, it doesnt affect me

It's just average though. Not a bad game but not outstanding.
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ Kaze has good reviews, but I guess you're right in saying it is not that awesome. Still a solid platformer.

I recently bought Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and having godd fun with it.
It is your typical platformer where you're supposed to collect gems and stuffs, but there's a nice twist : a polarity button ala Ikaruga. When switching polarity, some elements in the environnement change : doors opening, platform and elevators moving, bridges breaking, gems appearing and disappearing and so on.
The morphing effect when switching is a joy to watch with a nice morphing. Level design looks good and on later levels it looks like you really have to use the switch skillfully in order to get a clear ; in this sense it reminds me again of Ikaruga.
Great promo on the eshop at less than $1 now, try it if you like.

Gameplay exemple of a late level, the guy is kind of speedrunning so it goes fast. Every environnement change you see is a result of polarity switch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPg28mJ1jxE
Steven

Post by Steven »

I finished Japanese PS2 Tales of the Abyss. I am now playing Japanese 3DS Tales of the Abyss.

It seems that the Japanese 3DS version isn't as fucked as the US 3DS version, as the US 3DS version is missing some audio effects that both PS2 versions and the Japanese 3DS version have, but it still has all of the other problems that the US 3DS version has: the colors are still super fucked up compared to PS2, it still has texture quality comparable to N64 games, audio quality in general is poor, there is hideous macroblocking in cutscenes, cutscene volume is far too low, magic and hi ougi have fucking loading times mid-battle before the magic/hi ougi actually appears, both the Japanese and English text fonts are super ugly (I never really liked the font in the US PS2 version, but it's better than the horrible English 3DS font. Japanese PS2 font is rather nice!), and the performance in general is just terrible, both in and out of battle. I guess I can give the weak 3D effect a pass since it's a PS2 port and because it was a very early 3DS game and one of the first games announced for the system (and the reason that I bought the system in the first place).

Japanese PS2 version is still the best version of the game, though, especially since super broken Guy is only in that version, but that version doesn't have all of the extra stuff from the US PS2 and all 3DS versions, so I guess you're kind of screwed in some way no matter which version you play. Yet, despite all of this, I am actually having just as much fun with the Japanese 3DS version as I did with the Japanese PS2 version for some reason, so that's how it works out in the end, I guess. In any case, it's still a beautiful game (not visually, I mean in terms of everything else) and still the second best game in the entire series after Destiny Director's Cut.

Also started NEW LOVEPLUS+. Might try dating Manaka this time, as I don't think I've ever dated her before.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

guigui wrote:^ Kaze has good reviews, but I guess you're right in saying it is not that awesome. Still a solid platformer.
Yeah it's solid for sure, I was bit harsh in my words. I'm almosting completing all achievements so this game is good, worth a buy.

I have Gianna Sisters TD Rise of the Owverlord in my library. Achievements dating from 2015. Fun little game
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

More backlog cleared:

Death's Door

Played through the whole thing in like three days. Absolutely loved it, I was blasted back to my youth of exploring every nook 'n cranny (and trying to use the candle on every single tree in existence) in the original Legend of Zelda. Tons of secrets and optional stuff to find, and the devs did a great job using subtle clues where hidden things can be found, just have to keep a sharp eye out. Tons of charm and some good humor too.

Sadly the post-game left me with a somewhat sour note.
Spoiler
To get the True End, you need to do some additional things after you beat the last boss, and most of these are perfectly fine and even fun. But one of the tasks is needing to plant a seed into every single life pot you've come across during the course of the game. If you haven't been using those seeds as you've progressed, you now need to go back to every single area and do that. I hadn't done that. I thought they were one-off healing items instead of the game having one seed for one pot, and there were only 4 instances where I thought it prudent to top off my health with them. I had 46 seeds left over after the last boss.

To be fair, at this point the game does give hints where you still need to do stuff, so it wouldn't have been TOO bad to do all that...but I felt like I was getting punished for being good at the game and not needing to heal myself. I did go back to a few areas, but it just felt too tedious when I had already done all fun stuff, this was just busywork. I looked up what the True End is, and it's just an extra video that ties the game together with the dev's previous game, which I haven't even played, so I decided to not pursue it.
But knowing that now, if I play the game again in a few years, hopefully I'll remember to use those as I progress, so I don't have to deal with it afterwards.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the Death's Door heaup Ghegs.
I had it on my wishlist, but though this was yet another procedurally generated levels game ala Children of Morta, Dead Cells, Hades. Not that those are bad, far from that, but I really enjoy some good level designs, and it looks like Death's Door has just that.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

guigui wrote:Thanks for the Death's Door heaup Ghegs.
I had it on my wishlist, but though this was yet another procedurally generated levels game ala Children of Morta, Dead Cells, Hades. Not that those are bad, far from that, but I really enjoy some good level designs, and it looks like Death's Door has just that.
Oh yeah, the level design is really good. It has that Dark Souls -way of paths often having shortcuts to earlier parts of the map, and in some areas the paths criss-cross in ways that makes it easy to get lost at first, but after a while you start finding your way around. It really was a joy to explore. Hand-crafted levels ftw.

My videos
Lander

What can change the nature of a man?

Post by Lander »

I finished up Planescape: Torment, and wow. Step back, every other RPG with aspirations of good writing; daddy's home.

Easily the best book I've ever played, and quite possibly the best I've ever read as well. I'm glad to have missed out on it for so long, as the extra years of storytelling knowledge only served to elevate the first-play experience.

The text is only the tip of the iceberg; the whole design is so thoroughly holistic in its upending of traditional fantasy ideas that it would take a dissertation to count the ways, and manages to make it all work despite being completely against the grain.
I suppose one of the best examples is the party composition; the fighter is a hard-to-hit disembodied head with heavyweight shit talking skills, the cleric is a chaste and intellectual succubus, the mage is a clinically insane cosmic hazard, and the paladin is a terrifying death knight who makes Judge Dredd look like a mall cop.
Weird and wild to a man, but right at home in the kitchen sink fantasy of Sigil and the planes that intersect it.

Narrative-wise, it's a masterful implementation of the fork-join diamond structure that allows many story threads to exist independently before being tied together comfortably at the conclusion.
Looking back, it still railroads you BG-style on a couple of occasions, but pulls it off so subtly as to be unnoticeable, often keeping you guessing whether you made the right choice even on a textbook run.
That's a powerful device for maintaining the illusion, and something many other "choices matter" games miss by making their outcomes too explicit.

As for the ending...
Spoiler
I was nonplussed at first, thinking that I'd gotten the bad outcome by resurrecting my whole party for the final battle; perhaps in punishment for making them suffer for me one last time.

But no! True to form, that's another turnabout of the traditional formula: the good ending does not have to be ideal or happy. Going back to watch the slightly extended fusion path gave me time to ruminate on the larger context, and that subtle expression as TNO sets off to fight for eternity in the Blood War ended up hitting like a freight train on the second watch.
A bittersweet understanding that, despite his grim and unavoidable fate, things have finally been put to rights. Bloody fantastic for late 90s uncanny valley CGI, and something that'll stick with me for a long time to come.

...And Vhailor hulking out into the ultimate 25STR / 25DEX / 25CON avatar of judgment after learning of the sheer injustice behind TNO's immortality - as foreshadowed by his party dialogue tree about reactive magic - has to rank up there with the greatest RPG powerup moments ever :) what an absolute beast!

On the big question, I chose "Nothing can change the nature of a man" during the dialogue with Ravel.

Philosophically speaking I believe man's disposition is fundamental, but is molded by nurture and environment. The nature itself is not mutable, instead being overridden or biased by an individual's path through life. TNO's ongoing immortality speaks to this, as one of man's base facets is survival, and each of his incarnations is representative of a different path and its outcome.
However, come the end and the additional context available at that point, the game makes a strong case for regret being the true answer.

I suppose that may depend on how you play (Chaotic Good this time), but ultimately I think there is no absolute correct choice: The question exists as a philosophical prompt to make the reader think and come to their own conclusion, and fulfils that role admirably.
Next, I'm jumping to the other end of the Infinity Engine spectrum with Icewind Dale.

So far I'm having fun with its mechanics-first dungeon crawling, and was pleasantly surprised at being able to gear my party to ~AC0 without leaving the first town, but it clearly suffers from a certain maximalism in combat and encounter design.
Of the two major dungeons I've run, both have been exhaustive multi-floor affairs packed with mobs, with the second one almost reaching parody by giving each floor its own independent form of elemental evil.
"Surely this must be it", I said after vanquishing the snake king's minions on floor one, and the death cult on floor two, only to walk into floor three and immediately get accosted by a necromancer and his undead army. I only came in to rescue some villagers for fuck's sake :lol:
Sima Tuna wrote:I hated Siege of Dragonspear. It combines the worst aspects of Icewind Dale (huge mobs of damage sponge enemies combined with strictly linear level design) with the worst of modern "fantasy game" writing.
...And now I understand :) Ah, you like trolls? Then surely you'll love ten more, and perhaps some mages with Hold Person to really round out the gank.

IWD's writing seems decent, but I think full voice acting for quest givers might have been a bit of a footgun - the guy in the tree town could put a party to sleep with all that rambling about balance.
Sima Tuna wrote:I play Evil most of the time when I play BG1 and 2. My go-to play style is the Selfish Evil looter/mercenary type of character.
I think I ended up a bit more boyscout than I'd have liked, since a few of the more confrontational sidequest dialogs I dabbled with went something like:

"Hail, adventurer! I have dire need of help!"
"Fuck off, peasant."
(Peasant initiates combat)

Though I don't regret it for a first run, since the story framing seems to favour Good / Human / Fighter at the outset.
Sima Tuna wrote:The major version difference is BG1 runs in BG2's engine, so certain spells don't work the same way they did in original BG1. Entangle used to only affect enemies, but the BG2 engine makes it affect all parties. There are a few spells like this which were nerfed by the change in engine.
Jaheira's starting kit makes a lot more sense in that context. I took it off right quick - the Cloakwood has more than enough horrifying AoE paralysis for one game!
Air Master Burst wrote:This isn't even a new phenomenon, BG2 pulled all this same stupid bullshit. I've never even made it past the initial Thieves' Guild encounter! I always try to refuse the blackmail since I don't give a fuck about Imoen, but the game literally cheats real hard to railroad you into their storyline. That's shitty DMing 101 stuff.
Bah, I was assuming BG2 would handwave it away as spent or lost before the party gets thrown into the intro dungeon. I expect I'll be more forgiving than with SoD since there's some precedent for a new game bringing a new economy, but it still sounds forced.
And from the thieves' guild too - mercenary bastards. So much for helping them out with those three sweet heists.

As an aside, I find it quite interesting to look at each game through a DM lens; BG1's is a confident adventure-spinner who can adlib wandering until the cows come home but stumbles when pressed for plot, IWD's is still learning and wrote the whole script beforehand, and Planescape's is a renaissance loremaster who must have a hell of a time finding a group that can appreciate their work :lol:
Sumez wrote:I retried it years later, and didn't even have the patience to move all the way out of the starting area :P
You don't know pain until you've had to do a three-point-turn to reorient a full party without causing a traffic jam!
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I finished that Flashback-esque game They always Run.

Pretty Jank controls, some camera problems, but gorgeous visuals and good music. Yeah the ending is weak, but given the overall jank I wasn't surprised.

It was a good time I got all achievements
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ghegs wrote:More backlog cleared:

Death's Door

Played through the whole thing in like three days. Absolutely loved it, I was blasted back to my youth of exploring every nook 'n cranny (and trying to use the candle on every single tree in existence) in the original Legend of Zelda. Tons of secrets and optional stuff to find, and the devs did a great job using subtle clues where hidden things can be found, just have to keep a sharp eye out. Tons of charm and some good humor too.

Sadly the post-game left me with a somewhat sour note.
Spoiler
To get the True End, you need to do some additional things after you beat the last boss, and most of these are perfectly fine and even fun. But one of the tasks is needing to plant a seed into every single life pot you've come across during the course of the game. If you haven't been using those seeds as you've progressed, you now need to go back to every single area and do that. I hadn't done that. I thought they were one-off healing items instead of the game having one seed for one pot, and there were only 4 instances where I thought it prudent to top off my health with them. I had 46 seeds left over after the last boss.

To be fair, at this point the game does give hints where you still need to do stuff, so it wouldn't have been TOO bad to do all that...but I felt like I was getting punished for being good at the game and not needing to heal myself. I did go back to a few areas, but it just felt too tedious when I had already done all fun stuff, this was just busywork. I looked up what the True End is, and it's just an extra video that ties the game together with the dev's previous game, which I haven't even played, so I decided to not pursue it.
But knowing that now, if I play the game again in a few years, hopefully I'll remember to use those as I progress, so I don't have to deal with it afterwards.
Good to hear, I'll push this one further up my pile.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
davyK

Post by davyK »

Tilting at Super Meat Boy. Bought this many moons ago for PC but only really properly got into it after getting a 1CC of Mushi in September and I fancied a change.

Just cleared the main game - (ie beat the Light and Dark Worlds) today but have still bandages to find and some warps and glitch levels to unlock and beat. On 83% complete. I have Cotton Alley to do too - have cleared the first 8 light levels of that. Still plenty to do then. :)