What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
guigui

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by guigui »

drauch wrote:DS stuff
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm fine since I pumped Vit to 50, and currently sit on 20 unallocated points which I dont feel the urge to use.
I found that Countess boss in Act1 drops some stone/runes, so I'm farming her because stones are good, aren't they ?
As for the spells, the description I read tend to make me aim at Blizzard, and maybe Energy Shield. Though I'm only level 12 and those unlock at level 24 or such, so more grinding needed.

But now I'm kind of disappointed that it looks like sorceress is spells only. I like to hit mobs too, and not always play ranged. I had a Diablo 1 run back in the days, with the monk for Hellfire expansion. I really loved how he could both crowd control with multi-mob hitting staff, and launch powerful spells like chain lightning iirc.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

No idea how much the remake changes, but I'd take Crash Team Racing on PS1 over Mario Kart 64 any day of the week. Great in multiplayer, has an actual single player campaign, fun handling model, it's just a whole package. In semi-recent times, it's been way easier to convince my friends to play CTR vs Mario Kart [any of them, but 64 almost never got much playtime].
That being said, all the other Crash racers I've played were mediocre as hell, kinda like how all the post PS1 Crash games are mediocre as all hell.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

How is Mega Man's take on kart racing generally seen? I recently unlocked Rockman Battle & Chase on the PS2 compilation and I wasn't terribly impressed, but I haven't really played many kart racing games.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Never played the original Crash Team Racing or N64 Mario Kart. But I’d take the Crash Team Racing remake over Mario Kart 8 any day. More skill involved. Mario Kart 8 plays like it’s on auto pilot most of the time. Better courses too. Probably the most fun I’ve had with a racing game on last gen. The boost mechanic is just way more interesting.
did you turn the auto steer off on MK8? it's on by default for some reason.
Marc

Post by Marc »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Never played the original Crash Team Racing or N64 Mario Kart. But I’d take the Crash Team Racing remake over Mario Kart 8 any day. More skill involved. Mario Kart 8 plays like it’s on auto pilot most of the time. Better courses too. Probably the most fun I’ve had with a racing game on last gen. The boost mechanic is just way more interesting.
More interesting? Instead of doing something that feels natural, it just adds in another unecessary button press to differentiate itself. It's added something that didn't need adding for the sake of it.

And I'm not even sure what you mean by the auto-pilot thing.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The "feature" (if one can be so bold as to call it that) is called Smart Steering:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/28/15475 ... t-steering
drauch

Post by drauch »

guigui wrote:
drauch wrote:DS stuff
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm fine since I pumped Vit to 50, and currently sit on 20 unallocated points which I dont feel the urge to use.
I found that Countess boss in Act1 drops some stone/runes, so I'm farming her because stones are good, aren't they ?
As for the spells, the description I read tend to make me aim at Blizzard, and maybe Energy Shield. Though I'm only level 12 and those unlock at level 24 or such, so more grinding needed.

But now I'm kind of disappointed that it looks like sorceress is spells only. I like to hit mobs too, and not always play ranged. I had a Diablo 1 run back in the days, with the monk for Hellfire expansion. I really loved how he could both crowd control with multi-mob hitting staff, and launch powerful spells like chain lightning iirc.
Yeah runes are great, with a lot of the best items requiring them. Countess only drops really common ones on Normal, but you can still make some really decent stuff early on like Stealth (Tal, Eth) for armor; Lore for helmet (Ort, Sol); Ancient's Pledge, Spirit, and Rhyme for shields; and Leaf for two socketed staves with just Tir and Ral, which gives a lot of bonuses to Fire spells. Some of those you won't start seeing until Act IV/V, but you can make Leaf and Stealth by Act 2.

But yeah, Sorceress is mainly just spells, but you could always go the Enchant route as well, which may be more to your liking, where the Sorceress enchants a melee weapon with fire damage. With that one you'd actually need some Dexterity though.

Another thing you might not know about is that you can equip items on your mercenary as well with 'O' by default. Very helpful to beef them up as things get tougher. Act 2 mercs are usually best ones, as they have different auras that benefit you and your team if there are other players.

This is also decent to take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/commen ... ers_guide/
I think some of it is a bit overwhelming if you're completely new, but a lot of good information.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Don't think it's quite hardcore enough for the R2RKMF thread, so putting this here.

For a few weeks now I've been slowly, casually working on the Star Wars NES game, the Lucasfilm Games / Beam Software one. It's interesting how open the Tatooine part of the game is for a NES title. You can save R2-D2, find Obi-Wan and get the lightsaber, find shields for Millennium Falcon scattered around, hire Han Solo and blast off - or do any or none of the things, in any order. It's completely possible to just skip all that by going directly to Mos Eisley and effectively steal the Millennium Falcon and go to the Death Star with only C-3PO in your party. Whether you can survive being pelted by the remnants of Alderaan is another matter, though I have managed to get through it completely unscathed once.

And the order of these things matters too. If you go to Obi-Wan before finding R2-D2, you'll still get the lightsaber but Obi-Wan won't join your party, and you can't resurrect Han or Leia back from the dead later on, if they happen to die. Or you can pick up Han first and use him to search around Tatooine's caves. You don't even have to save Leia if you don't feel like it. For a licensed NES action game this is pretty impressive.

I worked out a path in Tatooine that would get me through all the caves and get everything in the "correct" order to get that 100% Completion Percentage, and the Death Star itself isn't too bad to map either. Once I found a good route it was easy to follow through it each time, and I could basically start the game and escape from Death Star without too much difficulty. But holy balls are the two sections afterwards a pain.

The first is the escape from Death Star, where you're manning the Falcon's turrets and are required to shoot down chasing TIE Fighters. It's probably a case of destroying a certain amount of them. The first time I tried I used up all the 10 continues without getting anywhere. The second part, the attack on Death Star, is similar in that you're needed to shoot down a certain amount of TIE Fighters before the game progresses. Both of these sections are seriously hampered by the poor aiming controls, it feels more like a matter of luck than skill to destroy enemies or their missiles.

The final part is a simple vertical shmup in the Death Star trench. Much easier than the previous two segments, and here you're back to expending lives instead of continues upon dying. It does feel like this section has input lag, though I can only imagine it's intentional. It's still not very difficult.

I really do like how the game plays in the action/platforming stages, the characters have a nice weight to them and you can do some cool jumps with the physics. Luke's lightsaber is fun to use too, and it's possible to do saber-only runs. And the way the game works opens up some speedrunning tactics, not that that's really my thing.

I managed to beat the game for the first time just earlier today, though I did use five continues to do it - all in the attack on Death Star -segment. The shmup part took two lives since it was the first time I actually got there. Not sure if I want to go for a 1CC since those two late-game segments are so annoying and there doesn't seem to be any way to cheese through them. If it wasn't for them this would be way higher in my NES game ranking, otherwise this has lots going for it. There's some good graphics too, the short cutscene of Luke running to his X-Wing before the attack on Death Star is a personal favorite.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

That sounds surprisingly good. :o I never really knew what to make of it, since it's (AFAIK) NES-only, and I've stuck to the FC in recent times. I think you posted about Namco's FC version once too.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I have the SMS version, which is basically the same game but with the graphical uplift you'd expect. I don't recall ever having trouble with the Falcon/X-Wing bits so assume this is much tighter to control. The digitised stills are really impressive, as is the open area of Tatooine - pretty remarkable for an 8-bit game. The maze of elevators in the Death Star is a bit on the silly side first time around but a spot of memorising and it's easy to remember the right route to get everything you need for 100% - not sure if this is in the NES version but the SMS one requires you to find all the extra lives.

Way back I tried to see whether I could clear the game with minimal resources - even sticking with the starting single shot blaster. Couldn't get enough hits on the dianoga with the starting blaster, but I reckon everything after that would be doable.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIL wrote:That sounds surprisingly good. :o I never really knew what to make of it, since it's (AFAIK) NES-only, and I've stuck to the FC in recent times. I think you posted about Namco's FC version once too.
It is available on the Famicom as well, and that's the one I was playing, actually. I don't know if there are any differences between the NES and FC versions, though. It's a good game overall, but the two stages before the trench run bring the whole experience down.

Yeah, I think I might return to Namcot's Star Wars next. I really like that one too and got a good way into it before I was distracted by something else.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Way back I tried to see whether I could clear the game with minimal resources - even sticking with the starting single shot blaster. Couldn't get enough hits on the dianoga with the starting blaster, but I reckon everything after that would be doable.
The starting blaster might be impossible to beat the game solely with, yeah. I imagine the tractor beam fight took six weeks to beat with it?

The NES/FC version doesn't require finding all extra lives for 100%.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh damn :o Dunno why I had it in my head that it never got Japan release. Thanks, might check that one out. :smile:
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah the tractor beam took a while, the whole thing was pretty tedious with that gun. I did it as a kid to get a bit more mileage out of a game I could otherwise clear with my eyes closed. Maybe it's doable as an adult but it wouldn't be fun to try! I think it's one where you're supposed to sequence break it when you first play it, then explore to find stuff on subsequent attempts. The manual has a tonne of info in the SMS version, without that it'd be pretty tough to work out what to do!

Fun fact: Tiertex did the SMS port. Much as a broken clock has the right time twice a day, Tiertex do sometimes manage a good one (see also SMS Strider II).
Marc

Post by Marc »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Yeah the tractor beam took a while, the whole thing was pretty tedious with that gun. I did it as a kid to get a bit more mileage out of a game I could otherwise clear with my eyes closed. Maybe it's doable as an adult but it wouldn't be fun to try! I think it's one where you're supposed to sequence break it when you first play it, then explore to find stuff on subsequent attempts. The manual has a tonne of info in the SMS version, without that it'd be pretty tough to work out what to do!

Fun fact: Tiertex did the SMS port. Much as a broken clock has the right time twice a day, Tiertex do sometimes manage a good one (see also SMS Strider II).
Ah the infamous Tiertex.... my god they were responsible for some abortions. Human Killing Machine anyone?

I had a good time with the Star Wars game as a kid, enjoyable stuff.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Didn't feel like playing Strive [having fun at least, stuck bouncing between floors 8-10 and occasionally failing miserably on my Celestial challenges because I don't deserve to be there and I just got lucky beating up people on floor 10], and Melty is pissing me off [I'm genuinely bad at it, but like, dumb nonsense also keeps happening mid match and I don't feel like I'm actually learning anything while fighting people], so I popped in KOF2002 Unlimited Match.
Still lost a bunch [many matches came maddeningly close], but man, I needed that. Yeah, there are still some ridiculously weird hitbox interactions [man, Athena's air dive attack has a disturbing tendency to just push harmlessly against some attacks], there's a ton of 2002-era nonsense despite all the improvements [nearly every day back when I played original KOF2002, I saw new and unique hitbox bullshit and just had to accept that the game was utterly baffling], but good lord, it's at least familiar nonsense. :lol:

I really need to practice again. Gotta get my damage up since I really don't capitalize on anything properly, gotta do less unsafe garbage [whether with intent or on accident -- why does Bao's ground blanka ball thing suck so much compared to the air version, I basically lose the round if I mess up and don't tiger knee it because it's the most free thing with YEARS of recovery lmao], and I gotta find a third character because like, Athena and Bao can do stuff because they're extremely agile and have really good keepaway and mixup options and stuff that is absurdly active [people keep running into Athena's foot on her divekick roll thing lol], and then whoever I pick as my third just eats shit. :lol:
I used to be better with Kula, couldn't land any of my actual combos on anyone. Played K' with my friends, but they were loads worse than online players, so he died even more easily too.
Also, I really need to learn that stupid max mode combo Bao has, where he repeatedly does the reflect ball to keep you juggled for days. It's so dumb, but it's so good. :lol:

It's also wild just how much better the netcode is in 02UM vs Melty and the only bad matches I had were also around 250 ping. No one wants to crank the delay past 1 frame and I cannot blame them, but it also does mean that once you're rolling back more than 6 frames, things stop being particularly reactable because everything you're doing is based on reads/guessing.

Also, playing some more KOF again really has me excited for KOF15 now. It's been too long.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

My experience with Melty's netcode has been fantastic. 250+ matches so far and I think I had issues in like 3 or 4 matches?

Can't tell the difference between online and local 99% of the time. No "online tactics" or nonsense like that. Strive probably has the best all time netcode but Melty's within sniffing distance.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Melty's is okay, but I've had some weird, weird issues a few matches. Also, if you skip the pre-fight dialogue, there is a strong chance that the match will have syncing issues and constant teleports for the next 30-40 seconds.
This is on PC. I've heard things are better on console there.

Strive's netcode is fantastic and I think I've only had like one jarring teleport over like 90+ hours. Strive also had actual beta testing, while Melty kinda screwed up the PC launch.

02UM's netcode has been great -- I've had issues here and there, but they were mostly just "god, no one else is on at this hour and this guy has 400ms ping" [which was as awful as it sounded -- rollback is amazing, but not literally magic and you can't really deal with a 24 frame delay in any meaningful way]. I really, really, really hope KOF15 does as well with it.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Finished a third run of Metroid Dread. Great fucking game.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

XoPachi wrote:Finished a third run of Metroid Dread. Great fucking game.

well that's good to hear. i sure it would suck so it's a pleasant surprise that i'm hearing good things about it
To Far Away Times

I'm close to finishing Metroid Dread. It's the real deal.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Damn you guys are making me want to play this.
My lord, I have come for you.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Sega needs to patch that monkey game. The camera is beyond awful, I dropped it faster than you can say "Hello Banana!"
To Far Away Times

Finished Metroid Dread last night. Some thoughts:

This feels a lot like a Fusion sequel, though that's certainly not a bad idea at all.

Although theres a few weird key bindings, the controls are buttery smooth and your many movement options feel fantastic.

I was surprised by the level of challenge. Exploring is pretty easy, but the bosses and EMMI's are hard. Most people will die a few times to each boss before they figure them out. The game has generous checkpointing to compensate for the planned difficulty spikes. Bosses hit like tanks and have tons of health, so the days of firing missles in the corner and bulldozing bosses like in Super Metroid are gone. Bosses telegraph all attacks and follow patterns, so once you know what to do its not so bad. Excellent difficulty, and shmup fans would feel right at home here. One of Nintendo's hardest games in a very long time, but this game is squarely aimed at series fans and retro gamers so the level of challenge here is appreciated.

The game is carefully designed to keep you from getting too lost. Areas get blocked off to keep you from going too far off the intended path, but it also doesn't feel like you're in a funnel. They did a good job here disguising most of the linearity. Think Fusion style map design instead of Super Metroid's more open map.

Powerups are given frequently and paced well.

How powerful your character is towards the end of the game is immensely satisfying.

The final boss fight and ending sequence are incredible.

They crushed it. This is probably the best 2D game in the series.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

To Far Away Times wrote: The game is carefully designed to keep you from getting too lost. Areas get blocked off to keep you from going too far off the intended path, but it also doesn't feel like you're in a funnel. They did a good job here disguising most of the linearity. Think Fusion style map design instead of Super Metroid's more open map.
The map design might be a result of the way the objective has changed in 2D Metroid games. I noticed that, in the past, bosses, who were items themselves (you had to collect their defeats to open the way to Tourian/deeper into the planet), tended to be situated at dead ends that themselves contained crucial items. The crucial items then opened the way to the next boss somewhere else on the planet.

In these later games, it's streamlined. I never needed to backtrack in Dread, because you're always right there where you need to go to the next area or section. You can backtrack a little if you want (usually—sometimes the way back is even cut off), but it's not necessary. But there are no more boss defeats to act as keys to a final area.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's nearly Halloween, so it's a perfect excuse to play as the cutest spooky ghost boy ever and Pure Plat Bayonetta's secret chapter. Glad I haven't rusted too badly, only took half a dozen tries or so to avoid really silly mistakes. There were some real close calls during the final boss fight where I nearly got hit. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1181598093
null1024

Post by null1024 »

KOF 98 Ultimate Match [Steam].
Had some absolutely great matches online [also, if you want to play right now, make sure you're in the beta program because they finally got around to adding rollback].
Mechanically, I like the game a lot more than 02UM, even if 02 has more of the characters I want.
Despite being in beta, I had zero issues today. Fantastic, fantastic netcode.
CHI

Post by CHI »

Been meaning to post this up (it's been way too long)...

Random Dice on my iphone...
I was introduced by a friend around 2 years ago when I was living and working in Hong Kong (I can talk about this in another thread or another time)...
Being the underdog in our little group, I quickly overtook them as this little game got me so addictive, I literally play this everyday (before I sleep, on the bus/tube to work, in the toilet or having a fag break) :twisted:

Anyone here play Random Dice on a regular basis :?: I would love to join an active crew, share my experience and learn new things :mrgreen:

Regs, CHI
schmumps: as my sister would say!
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It's nearly Halloween, so it's a perfect excuse to play as the cutest spooky ghost boy ever and Pure Plat Bayonetta's secret chapter. Glad I haven't rusted too badly, only took half a dozen tries or so to avoid really silly mistakes. There were some real close calls during the final boss fight where I nearly got hit. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1181598093
What a cute little guy! Even if the Summoned Swords are giving me Nelo Angelo PTSD Image Always thought that secret chapter's extended one-shot sounded neat, and pretty harrowing in Kamiya's usual per-chapter score attack mode. Impressive to see you nail it once again. :cool:

EDIT: what superb music too - replayed your run start to end while practicing up some VS Castlevania. Are those the Wangan Midnight tunes you mentioned a while back? I think I've been overlooking 'em, if so!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Searchlike wrote:Sega needs to patch that monkey game. The camera is beyond awful, I dropped it faster than you can say "Hello Banana!"
apparently if you turn the camera controls off and turn the sensitivity right down it's similar to the originals.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I did mess with the camera options, but that didn't solve the problem. In the original games moving your monkey also moves the camera, but in Banana Mania the slightest move of the stick will tilt the camera while your monkey stays completely immobile. You can fully rotate the camera around your character before it reacts at all. This makes slight adjustments a pain, turning and navigating narrow paths also feels a lot less intuitive. The original game's camera wasn't perfect, but it was predictable and reliable, BM's camera on the other hand has a mind of its own.

That's not the only problem with the game, but I think it's the most severe one. As of now the only way it can approach the feel of the original titles is with mods and that makes the leaderboards pointless, plus the physics are worse, the lives system was removed, etc. Master mode is also now forced unto everyone whether they are ready to tackle it or not, instead of being a way to encourage players to get better at the game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy that some version of the game is now available to a broader audience. NiGHTS into Dreams is one of my all time favorite games and I've only played the inferior HD remake, so I can see the value of this release. It's just hard to recommend it when I know all these small changes will make people's experience of it so drastically different from my own.
BIL wrote:Impressive to see you nail it once again. :cool:
Yup.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It's nearly Halloween, so it's a perfect excuse to play as the cutest spooky ghost boy ever and Pure Plat Bayonetta's secret chapter. Glad I haven't rusted too badly, only took half a dozen tries or so to avoid really silly mistakes. There were some real close calls during the final boss fight where I nearly got hit. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1181598093
Real proud of Roo-sensei's ability to kick Angel Slayer's ass. This must be one of your Top 10 games, am I right? Have you been playing it since launch? I really need to go back to it and put some decent hours into it.