What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Searchlike

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Searchlike »

Vanguard wrote:Star Control 2 is great though IDK if you'd consider it a WRPG. Do roguelikes count as WRPGs? I'm a fan of a bunch of those.
Thanks for the recommendations. Roguelikes are way more appealing to me because of permadeath, so I wasn't thinking of those, but if you know about a WRPG that could be played Ironman style or have any other roguelike that you would add to that list of yours in the dungeon crawler thread I'm all ears.

I'm not super concerned with genre boundaries so anything that feels kinda like a WRPG is ok, Star Control II fits my criteria.

I appreciate anyone's help. Ironman friendly JRPG's are welcome too.
Last edited by Searchlike on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ah man, Star Control 2, I used to love that on the MD!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
drauch

Post by drauch »

Star Control II is great. Be sure to play the Ur-Quan Masters if yo udo, as it bundles up the 3DO version with the PC for the complete experience (3DO had some additional stuff on the PC version) for modern computers. But yeah, I find it kinda hard to classify as an RPG. More of an Adventure with Asteroids-like space combat maybe. Kinda hard to classify I guess!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Searchlike wrote:
I'm not super concerned with genre boundaries so anything that feels kinda like a WRPG is ok, Star Control II fits my criteria.
Have you played all the classics? Ultima 4,5,6? Ultima Underworld 1&2 (which isn't really part of the main series)? Thief 1&2? All the Hasbro gems like Baldor's Gate, Planetscape Torment, etc?

One good resource for this is to check out the historical record of all the most requested titles on GOG. This shows what people have been clamoring for to be rereleased over time. They are not all CRPGs, but many are. https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#order=votes_total

Star Control II isn't a CRPG IMHO, but it's great game.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

drauch wrote:Star Control II is great. Be sure to play the Ur-Quan Masters if yo udo, as it bundles up the 3DO version with the PC for the complete experience (3DO had some additional stuff on the PC version) for modern computers. But yeah, I find it kinda hard to classify as an RPG. More of an Adventure with Asteroids-like space combat maybe. Kinda hard to classify I guess!
I'll try it for sure. Sounds really unique.
vol.2 wrote: Have you played all the classics?
Nope, I really like Thief, though, so I guess immersive sims are fine too. Thanks for the great resource.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Starcrawlers is an RPG I've gushed about pretty extensively. It takes some design cues from the Genesis version of Shadowrun, with a set of story missions as well as randomized missions you can use to grind between missions, use a team of 4 out of 8 classes with various skill trees to play with featuring some useful synergies (you can freely respec outside of missions, can only take 5 active skills in combat with you). Not a super long game but has replayability due to how the plotline works. Multiple difficulties, much harder NG+/++ which increase the level cap, and a hardcore/ironman mode where if a character dies, they die, resulting in an immediate loss of all their items. You can recruit 1 of every class on a playthrough, but you can only recruit them once in Ironman (clearing one loop and entering NG+ allows you to re-recruit any classes that died on the previous loop).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Starcrawlers is an RPG I've gushed about pretty extensively.
I really liked Starcrawlers. One thing to keep in mind with that one though it's best to "pick a side" in the story pretty early on if you want to have a full experience. I often have trouble in those roles because I find myself not fully agreeing with one side or the other. That being said, you basically can just replay it a number of different ways if you want to see everything that can happen.

I did eventually kind of burn out on the hacking though, I wish they had made that less time consuming and laborious. Especially since hacking pretty much everything in the whole game is the best way to see everything available, you are kind of stuck just spending hours doing the same repetitive thing.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Hacking is time consuming and not worth it unless you're trying to get better equipment without raising character level for some reason. Your hacking level is also reset in NG+ forcing you to rebuy and refind all your hardware and software. Matrix hacking apparently wasn't originally in Starcrawlers and was added later as a reference to Shadowrun? However, unlike the Genesis version of Shadowrun, it's nowhere near as lucrative (where in Shadowrun the data you can steal and sell is by far the fastest way to get cash). It's also nowhere near as useful; you can crash a system's CPU during a mission to disable security, but security is generally much more manageable without needing to hack in Starcrawlers. You also don't need a Hacker class to actually do hacking using your deck. In Shadowrun, security in a corporate run is a nightmare to handle without hacking.

Having a Hacker character is still very useful for class specific hacking of buttons and terminals, but not to the same extent that having a Decker is nearly crucial in Shadowrun. My fave class combo doesn't use a Hacker, and you can get away with using fake IDs and autociphers as a decent (albeit less efficient) alternative.

Matrix hacking in Starcrawlers is pretty quick though with high level gear, and if you go into the options and select fast attack animations which doubles animation speeds. I recommend doing that when hacking as it speeds it up tremendously, and the hacking animations are tedious.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i thought i remembered there being a Fire Emblem thread, but i'm failing to find it in any searches.

anyone played the latest one on switch? is it terrible? i'm worried it might have gone too far into anime social links and level grinding to be worth playing
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Immryr wrote:i thought i remembered there being a Fire Emblem thread, but i'm failing to find it in any searches.

anyone played the latest one on switch? is it terrible? i'm worried it might have gone too far into anime social links and level grinding to be worth playing
People seem to love it but I haven't played it myself and have the same concerns. This is the first one to release in the US that I haven't bought and plowed through..
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Re: warpigs, I have a soft spot for the Infinity Engine games' combat system. You can do some interesting things with the bizarre real-time + combat rounds thing they have going on; abusing it properly can give you a fighting chance in the face of brutal RNG moments. Acquired taste though, and the Icewind Dale games are the only ones with good combat encounters (without mods).
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Searchlike wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. Roguelikes are way more appealing to me because of permadeath, so I wasn't thinking of those, but if you know about a WRPG that could be played Ironman style or have any other roguelike that you would add to that list of yours in the dungeon crawler thread I'm all ears.

I appreciate anyone's help. Ironman friendly JRPG's are welcome too.
Alright here's my list of roguelikes

Shiren the Wanderer might be my favorite video game. It's just so rich, so fast-paced, so exciting. Everything matters.

Brogue is more or less a perfection of Rogue's basic formula. Intriguing and cruel.

Nethack is quite possibly the most complex game ever made in terms of the sheer number of ways things in the game can interact with other things.

Adom is something like a toned down Nethack with more personality and WRPG elements like side quests with multiple outcomes and an aligment system.

Ragnarok is another hacklike. Its open world setting and blatant disregard for balance go well with Nethack-style mechanics.

Cave Noire is a roguelike/puzzle game hybrid by Konami that is well-liked around here.

Incursion is an insanely ambitious attempt to implement D&D 3.5 rules in a roguelike. Like, not just combat revolving around d20s, but with skill checks and diplomacy and everything. All of it. Unsurprisingly, the author gave up before finishing, but what we're left with is still a unique, interesting, and winnable game. Potentially a charismatic hero can simply talk the villain out of trying to conquer the world. Deep, and excessively complex character building like you'd expect out of 3.5.

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress is a sandbox RTS with an alternate roguelike game mode. In the main game you govern a group of dwarves with whom you can do whatever you want. It's terribly complex and has perhaps the most thoroughly simulated world of any game. The game tracks the temperature of each object, what material it's made from, its condition, if it's wet, etc. More importantly, it simulates characters' thoughts and emotional states on a level well beyond anything else in the medium. You might have a dwarf with a fondness for cats who winds up adopting a bunch of strays, and then later on some goblins invade your fortress, and though they are defeated, they kill off all of the dwarf's cats, which causes the dwarf to go mad with grief, which causes them to become a serial killer who ultimately needs to be brutally put down by your guards, with the game simulating things like tendon damage to the dwarf's fingers as the guards rain blow after blow upon the dwarf's helpless body. Maybe a dwarf child witnesses this and is also traumatized with some consequence later on. I remember reading on the Dwarf Fortress forums that after one update players often found their adventurer mode characters' clothes would mysteriously become wet, and it turned out the reason was because the player characters' emotional simulations were still running while under the player's control. The characters were mortified by the terrible and violent things the players inevitably forced their bodies to do, which they were powerless to resist. All they could do is watch and weep, their tears staining their clothing. A thorough description of the game goes well beyond the scope of this post, but suffice to say that it is pretty interesting.

PrincessRL and DDRogue are a pair of roguelikes by the same author which were each made in 7 days. They feature an interesting combat system where special moves can be activated by movement or by interacting with your environment. Like you can learn to do a wall jump that you can use to escape from danger or follow up with a falling attack, or you can learn to attack while circle strafing an enemy, things like that. DDRogue is good but PrincessRL is imo the author's best work. It has Princess Maker-inspired RPG elements and a bunch of different endings. Winning is fairly easy but getting the Great Heroine ending is not.

Mage Guild is a relatively short roguelike centered around wizardry and alchemy that goes for a quality over quantity approach. Spells have multiple uses and potions can be mixed with each other or other items to produce something new. It's something of a hybrid between the seemingly-opposite approaches of hacklike complexity and modern Crawl/Brogue-style intuitive simplicity. According to the author I was the first person to beat the game and ironically I used a melee build to do it, and melee builds have been forever nerfed since then.

Angband is kind of bad but worth mentioning. It has a bunch of problems but the biggest is that it's very long and has no time limit so the safest way to win is to take it easy and advance deeper when you're good and ready. If you push yourself to play aggressively you can have a good time. Ostensibly it's based on Tolkien but really it feels like a generic D&D-derived dungeon crawler. The most interesting thing about Angband is that there are about 8 million different variants based on its code. Most of them just add a bunch of monsters and classes, such as FrogComposBand where you can play as a SaGa Android who doesn't gain experience points, or a Tonberry Berserker who is slow and can't use magic items more complex than a potion, but also has overwhelming health and attack power. These heroes will face foes such as Bowser, Dio Brando, the Tarrasque, Cthulhu, and Zeus on their quest to slay the Serpent of Chaos. With that said, it's still worth considering the vanilla game over its variants because of the tremendous quality of life improvements it's received over the years. The best Angband variant I've played by miles is Sil which does not feel like playing Angband at all. It's got much faster pacing, far more flavor and personality, and trickier AI among other things. Its less-is-more philosophy is just what Angband always needed. I've got a soft spot for ToME 2, which is something of a more focused version of crazier variants like ZAngband and FrogComposBand that still manages to out-crazy them in a few ways. It character building system in particular is very solid. Still has a lot of tedium, it's still Angband, but the cool and crazy characters you can play go a long way to keep things interesting. Like you can play as a thaumaturge who learns randomly generated spells, and the things it can give you are really wild. Maybe you'll get a spell that converts every tile in sight into a solid rock wall. Useful, if inconvenient. Or maybe it'll give you a time element attack which I don't think the player is even supposed to have since it inflicts unresistable damage and a permanent speed debuff, but crazy stuff like that is why you play ToME 2. Protip: choose a class that can use nature magic and choose to worship Melkor at character creation. Put one point into Melkor's Udun skill tree and then max out Nature to get the genocide spell, which is amazingly strong and cuts out 90% of the game's tedium. It still works if you later abandon Melkor to go for one of the good endings. The kids these days are playing this newfangled ToME 4 but I don't care for that one. It adds MMORPG-style cooldowns and those are always shit. Would be interested in hearing about other interesting Angband variants if any of you all know any.

I'm not sure if Elona really counts as a roguelike since it's a sandbox game and doesn't feature permadeath, but it is at least heavily roguelike-inspired. It takes place inside an extremely wacky and grindy anime world where you can marry your pet bear, "younger sister" is a species, and murdering and cannibalizing someone in broad daylight is nowhere near so serious a crime as failing to pay your taxes. You can become a farmer, a musician, a shopkeeper, or, if you're feeling unoriginal, a fighting adventurer. The appeal is similar to an Elder Scrolls game, but Elona does a much better job of delivering on the promise of letting you do anything you want, and its combat, while below average by roguelike standards, is nonetheless an immense improvement on the F-tier combat in TES. Elona Plus is a popular variant that adds a ton of mostly combat-focused content and smooths out a lot of Elona's tedium. It's pretty good but I prefer Oomsest which feels a lot more like vanilla Elona and focuses more on sandbox features.

One Way Heroics is a roguelite similar to Shiren. You unlock different classes and difficulty levels and things like that for future playthroughs. You can also inherit items from one playthrough to the next, but fortunately, just like in Shiren, you never need to do so, and there's even a difficulty option - maniac mode - that disables it. Maniac mode is better balanced than the default settings anyway so I recommend sticking with that. OWH's central gimmick is that some mysterious, ever-advancing darkness is consuming the world. In practice this means that if you ever touch the left side of the screen you instantly die. This variation on the traditional roguelike time clock allows for some really interesting gameplay. If you see a scary but potentially rewarding dungeon, you can't put it off until you're ready for it. Once the darkness swallows it it's gone forever. Many roguelikes allow you to tunnel through walls, but OWH makes doing so a really interesting tactical option. You can circumvent a lot of danger and access a lot of treasure by punching walls down, but it's slow and if you miscalculate how much time you have the darkness will catch you. Your goal in One Way Heroics is to stop the darkness by killing the Demon Lord who summoned it, but there are actually a bunch of different endings. My favorite thing about the game is how you keep learning different things about the game and its world, which gives you new ideas to try, which then give you further leads to proceed with. Once you fully understand what's really going on you can finally address the heart of the problem, and imo the coolest thing about all of it is that the solutions were always there, you just didn't know how to use them. None of that stuff is tied to unlocks. OWH's world and characters are immensely likable, and its royalty-free soundtrack is outstanding too. There's a DLC add-on called One Way Heroics Plus which I highly recommend. I'm not a fan of everything it changes but the good easily outweighs the bad.
Last edited by Vanguard on Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Immryr wrote:i thought i remembered there being a Fire Emblem thread, but i'm failing to find it in any searches.

No, it's fucking amazing. It was the game I bought a Switch for and it pretty much justified the purchase by itself. I played through all three houses + the DLC and it took around 300 hours (which I'm pretty certain is the most I've spent on any game not named Destiny or having 'fighter(s)' in the title), and I'd still go back for more if they released another expansion. Then I lent it to my brother and he did the exact same thing. You can pretty much skip the social stuff if you want to, it has effects on gameplay but they're not insurmountable. I really liked them & ended up maxing them all out though. The way the characters' lives all intertwine in Game of Thrones-y ways was cool.

And I didn't really feel like the game asked me to grind since the basic battle system is fun, I looked forward to the side stuff & the chance to customize my squad. I'd just call that playing the game. You'll want to do a couple of side missions a month, but it doesn't force you into anything onerous. TBH by the end game even on maddening mode most of my characters were maxed out class juggernauts and I was just putting them into other classes for something to do.

For comparison's sake, I loved Valkyria Chronicles to death, but Valkyria II turned into the exact game you're afraid of Three Houses being. Grindy, repetitive and overly anime, I tried so hard to stick with it but just couldn't make it more than 30-40% of the way in. So if this had fallen into that trap I would've bounced off it just as quickly.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Searchlike wrote:
Vanguard wrote: That's how I feel about like 95% of WRPGs.
Curious about what that 5% consists of. Most fun I've had with that genre is a semi-blind Ironman run of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines that, of course, I failed because of a game-ending bug.
What a question! Just because Final Fantasy clones have been classified as "JRPGs" doesn't mean there's an equivalent WRPG category.

Do you mean first-person dungeon crawlers in the Wizardry/Might and Magic/Starcrawlers mold? Isometric open worlds in the Ultima 7/Planescape Torment/Divinity Original Sin mold? Hybrid games like Pools of Radiance/Dark Heart of Uukrul/Lords of Xulima? Roguelikes in the Nethack/ADOM/Tales of Maj'Eyal mold? Action RPGs in the Diablo/Torchlight/Grim Dawn mold? Roguelite RPGs in the FTL/Darkest Dungeon/Star Renegades mold? 3D open world RPGs in the Outcast/Witcher 3/Cyberpunk mold?

I'm sure there are plenty of other categories I'm forgetting right now.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Story-driven games in the Bioshock/KOTOR/Mass Effect mold.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Mischief Maker wrote: What a question! Just because Final Fantasy clones have been classified as "JRPGs" doesn't mean there's an equivalent WRPG category.

Do you mean first-person dungeon crawlers in the Wizardry/Might and Magic/Starcrawlers mold? Isometric open worlds in the Ultima 7/Planescape Torment/Divinity Original Sin mold? Hybrid games like Pools of Radiance/Dark Heart of Uukrul/Lords of Xulima? Roguelites in the Nethack/ADOM/Tales of Maj'Eyal mold? Action RPGs in the Diablo/Torchlight/Grim Dawn mold? Roguelite RPGs in the FTL/Darkest Dungeon/Star Renegades mold? 3D open world RPGs in the Outcast/Witcher 3/Cyberpunk mold?

Yep. I absolutely love the Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind on, had a decent enough time with Fallout 3, and mainlined Dragon Age Inquisition & its DLC (don't knock it until you've seen the Trespasser ending). Diablo II rocked. The games in the "I never asked for this" Deus Ex reboot were absolutely my jam. The ancient world Assassins Creed games are 100% action rpgs and best believe I'm holding a platinum trophy for each one.

But try as I might, I've gotten bored & bounced off every Wizardry game I've played, even though I love the idea in concept. Bards Tale, nah, sorry. Gold Box games? Mighta liked them in 1986, but can't do it now. I have zero nostalgia for Neverwinter Nights etc. so the revival of that framework didn't appeal. WoW couldn't keep my attention for 15 minutes. Ultima? Only one I liked was the NES version of IV, which was essentially remade into a jrpg. MUDs? Can't even imagine.

As near as I can tell the shared defining feature of WRPGs is "colour palette usually brown & green unless sci fi. Also, girls are grumpy & frowning/looking defiant unless grabbing Conan's leg."

Same thing with jrpgs though. Final Fantasy XV, Stranger of Sword City, The Dark Spire, Atelier InsertGirlyFrenchNameHere, Dark Souls and Chrono Trigger barely have any shared dna at all, aside from the elements the entire field lifted from D&D.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Starcrawlers
I've read some of your posts championing Starcrawlers and that's how I first learned about the game. You're making the developers proud, Roo. :mrgreen: I can't wait to try it one of these days.
Lethe wrote:Infinity Engine games' combat system
I'll see what this is all about. Thanks for mentioning them.
Vanguard wrote: Alright here's my list of roguelikes
:o That's one incredibly useful list, I feel like printing it. Can't thank you enough! 8) I'm a noob at the genre, but I will be posting my impressions with some of these games in the future.
Mischief Maker wrote: What a question!
I was very interested to hear some recommendations from someone who has a preference for the arcade style format of roguelikes over other types of western developed RPG's, that's why my question was originally aimed at Vanguard. I wasn't implying anything else. I enjoy reading about everyone's experience with the genre.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

I am not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up or not, but I was looking at picking up Bayonetta 2 on the Switch and since it is on the larger side memory wise (~12GB IIRC) I am trying to stay away from digital and go physical to save space. So I was searched for a new copy and apparently they are starting to get harder to find, although not impossible yet. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Gamespot, etc. all are sold out on the US online stores. I ended up ordering the "World Edition" from Amazon just now. It appears to be in english but I know it's not the USA version.

I have heard great things about it and that it is one of the best games on the system, so I am puzzled that they appeared to have stopped new production lots of it.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BloodHawk wrote: I have heard great things about it and that it is one of the best games on the system.
I haven't played the sequel, but most fans of these type of games seem to vastly prefer the original, so you should probably play that one first if you're new to the series. That said, Iconoclast loves the sequel and has gone as far as calling it Betternetta. :lol:
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Bayonetta 2 Switch should still come with a download code for Bayonetta, so that should sort out that question! Unless "world edition" strips it.....

I suspect it's just sporadic covid production/distribution issues at the moment. I've had my eye on Fire Emblem Three Houses for a while but as soon as Amazon get any in stock, they sell out. They've not had the Final Fantasy 7/8 twin pack in stock for ages which is another I was looking at, but that turned up again recently. Stick with it and I'm sure it'll show up!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Part of what made NWN awesome is the community made modules.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Bayonetta 2 is a perfectly good game. It has some design quirks in the combat system that make it a bit less interesting at high level play (the game is really focused on the new Umbran Climax mechanic, with Wicked Weaves and Charge Modifiers not as potent), but generally speaking even the Bayo 1 fans who prefer the first game over the second acknowledge the second game is very enjoyable.

Looking forward to the 3rd game, I'd love to see the marathon chapter playable in multiplayer!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

HELLEPHANT wrote:Image
omg it took me ages to see the jar :lol:

Did they stop Bayo swearing in 2 because nintendo?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Mischief Maker wrote:What a question! Just because Final Fantasy clones have been classified as "JRPGs" doesn't mean there's an equivalent WRPG category.

Do you mean first-person dungeon crawlers in the Wizardry/Might and Magic/Starcrawlers mold? Isometric open worlds in the Ultima 7/Planescape Torment/Divinity Original Sin mold? Hybrid games like Pools of Radiance/Dark Heart of Uukrul/Lords of Xulima? Roguelikes in the Nethack/ADOM/Tales of Maj'Eyal mold? Action RPGs in the Diablo/Torchlight/Grim Dawn mold? Roguelite RPGs in the FTL/Darkest Dungeon/Star Renegades mold? 3D open world RPGs in the Outcast/Witcher 3/Cyberpunk mold?

I mostly mean those games people like because you can click on a bunch of different dialogue options, or because they have optional evil ways to solve quests if you want your hero to be needlessly malicious. Usually they have tons of combat that almost invariably sucks dick and sometimes the fans are even aware of that yet don't seem to mind.

People call Dark Souls and Oath in Felghana JRPGs too you know. Neither has much in common with Dragon Quest. Both terms are pretty arbitrary.

This reminds me that I forgot to mention Morrowind as a WRPG that I like even though its combat is bad even for a WRPG. Really good treasure hunting game. Love the spellmaking system. Your character has skills for both running and jumping and you can boost both to gigantic levels to become a superhero who can leap tall buildings with a single bound and sprint across the entirety of Vvardenfell in two minutes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, I feel that "WRPGs" are about as well defiend or commonly understod/misunderstood as JRPGs. Both are arbitrary terms with some leeway to how you can use them.

One thing I do think is commonly unfairly used to seperate them is the ol' "WRPGs offer total freedom and open worlds, while JRPGs are completely linear" which is only looking at like the top 2% most popular examples, and then even ignoring major aspects of those.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Blinge wrote:Did they stop Bayo swearing in 2 because nintendo?
It's been awhile since I played it but I'm pretty sure there were still plenty of naughty words in there.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Vanguard wrote:This reminds me that I forgot to mention Morrowind as a WRPG that I like even though its combat is bad even for a WRPG. Really good treasure hunting game. Love the spellmaking system. Your character has skills for both running and jumping and you can boost both to gigantic levels to become a superhero who can leap tall buildings with a single bound and sprint across the entirety of Vvardenfell in two minutes.
*Cries in Khajit*

Valheim - hoo boy, Bonemass was a miserable fight.
Edit: well until I respawned I guess. Sprinted back after succumbing to poison, to find buddy endlessly kiting Bonemass and its gooey hordes around its altar. I arrive, get to my corpse, leg it behind a tree to get dressed. :lol:
Then set about the horde with my mace, well fed on SAUSAGE and righteous fury. green gibs and bones flying everywhere. Then we kinda batted the boss between us like a giant slimey tennis ball til it died. :lol:

Meanwhile on my solo world.. the hordes came for my base and killed my fucking pet boars!!! :|
cmon man. I mean, i didn't build walls or anything. didn't think i'd need them..
drauch

Post by drauch »

Blinge wrote:Valheim - hoo boy, Bonemass was a miserable fight.
Haven't looked up anything on him visually, but everything I've read about makes it sound horrible. I mean, it's in the swamp, so I guess that's obvious :lol: .
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So we used a hoe to level the ground in his arena upwards... made a nice, flatter and less waterlogged surface to fight him in.
Obvious advice is - poison resist potions are a must.. as they are for mining in crypts and most swamp related activities.

the fight strats?
Spoiler
Most important thing is to kill his adds, quickly. You'll probably take a bit of poison damage in the process but blobs and skellies? you have to kill them immediately. Everything is easier if you do that.

Banded Iron shield was enough to block and even parry his punch. Probably the best situation to be in is parry and punish. If he does the vomit, you get away to his back. then hang close by until you can get in striking range again.

The tell for him summoning enemies is he literally pulls a chunk out of his armpit and throws it :x
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:Yeah, I feel that "WRPGs" are about as well defiend or commonly understod/misunderstood as JRPGs. Both are arbitrary terms with some leeway to how you can use them.

One thing I do think is commonly unfairly used to seperate them is the ol' "WRPGs offer total freedom and open worlds, while JRPGs are completely linear" which is only looking at like the top 2% most popular examples, and then even ignoring major aspects of those.
Sometimes people even describe stuff like Dragon's Dogma as WRPGs and I've seen a few western games described as JRPGs too. The terms basically mean whatever you want them to mean.