What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
drauch

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by drauch »

Half-Life is the one I don't mind myself, having just bitched about this. A lot of the reason I like it though is because I like the narrative of the game, and I think it ties in with it all perfectly. I almost like itmore having played it over and over for the sole fact I know I'll be in every area shown, and this is what it all looked like before shit went wrong. It builds up the mundane of being a boring scientist, waiting for crap to be unlocked by the guard, waiting for an eye scan to get into a door, getting stuff from my locker, etc. The dichotomy of these simple tasks or events as it all gets flipped on its side, making you still feel like said boring scientist, only everything is fucked and said simple tasks are still there, just no longer as simple. That's what I like about the Half-life narrative so much: I'm always playing it, and I feel like my character is part of this environment. The tutorial is optional, and what little is shown is just a quick flashing text, not some bozo staring at me, waiting for me to perform a jump or swing my crowbar and then tell me good job. In short, I just think it works, actually providing some context/flavor to a linear story.

Plus I just love disaster/survival scenarios 8) . There's always that good calm before the storm.

I think where this sort of thing especially fails is with the 'choose your own adventure' mentality of an open world. Especially when a 'main' quest of sorts is entirely optional, you shouldn't be forced into any lengthy opening. Morrowind handles it really well. Who are you? Oh, okay. Get off this boat and go through this office. Ok, see ya later!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

drauch wrote:Half-Life is the one I don't mind myself, having just bitched about this. A lot of the reason I like it though is because I like the narrative of the game, and I think it ties in with it all perfectly. I almost like itmore having played it over and over for the sole fact I know I'll be in every area shown, and this is what it all looked like before shit went wrong. It builds up the mundane of being a boring scientist, waiting for crap to be unlocked by the guard, waiting for an eye scan to get into a door, getting stuff from my locker, etc. The dichotomy of these simple tasks or events as it all gets flipped on its side, making you still feel like said boring scientist, only everything is fucked and said simple tasks are still there, just no longer as simple. That's what I like about the Half-life narrative so much: I'm always playing it, and I feel like my character is part of this environment. The tutorial is optional, and what little is shown is just a quick flashing text, not some bozo staring at me, waiting for me to perform a jump or swing my crowbar and then tell me good job. In short, I just think it works, actually providing some context/flavor to a linear story.

Plus I just love disaster/survival scenarios 8) . There's always that good calm before the storm.

I think where this sort of thing especially fails is with the 'choose your own adventure' mentality of an open world. Especially when a 'main' quest of sorts is entirely optional, you shouldn't be forced into any lengthy opening. Morrowind handles it really well. Who are you? Oh, okay. Get off this boat and go through this office. Ok, see ya later!
I love Half Life, don't get me wrong, I just wonder if I would have the same reaction to a game with that kind of unskippable intro if it came out today, regardless of the story. I'm suspecting that it gets a pass (for me) because it came out in that window where developers were experimenting with methods of introducing players to new mechanics, and technology was really just exploding

On the topic of Half Life, I was just thinking recently about Black Mesa and what it's done right and wrong. I felt like they kinda pooched the first part of the game a bit by making it take longer to get the crowbar. It makes the first part boring because you can't face down the first zombies and you are forced to dawdle around the security guard. Also wasn't super into the map design of Xen. I thought the graphics were amazing, but the design sucked. All that underwater stuff is a bore. Felt like going through the motions
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sima Tuna wrote:Maybe I should ask what everyone's favorite Immersive Sim is? I'd probably go with OG Day o' Sex, or System Shock 2.
Cruelty Squad. It's Deus Ex: Dadaist Arcade Edition
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Vanguard wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:Maybe I should ask what everyone's favorite Immersive Sim is? I'd probably go with OG Day o' Sex, or System Shock 2.
Cruelty Squad. It's Deus Ex: Dadaist Arcade Edition
That's one I haven't gotten to yet, actually. I keep forgetting it exists. Seems pretty cool though.

Day O' Sex: Human Revolution wasn't too bad, and I'm one of those weird people who liked Invisible War too. But the original Day O' Sex is still far and away the best for me. Invisible War's universal ammo system is aggressively horrible and Human Revolution has some elements I'm not a massive fan of. Compare Human Revolution to Prey 2017 and you'll get an idea what I'm talking about.

Human Revolution: knocking out an enemy always requires a resource
Prey 2017: wrench go brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Human Revolution: stealth is rewarded excessively at the expense of all play styles
Prey 2017: All play styles are viable and must be employed to progress

Human Revolution: abilities are used at specific developer-intended points to create doorways or alternate routes
Prey 2017: level design is almost modular in the freedom you have to go wherever you want

Human Revolution: shitty boss fights
Prey 2017: no conventional boss fights (big plus for immersive sim game design, as ImSims typically fuck up bosses)
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Just finished the pretty good Ninja Saviors/Warriors on Switch A couple days ago, so I decided to go back to Banjo Kazooie. I went backwards. I completed Tooie 6 months ago and started Kazooie a month ago. Just the kind of game I want to play now.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I picked up Metroid Dread the other day, hoping for something to hold me over till Silksong (how many times have I said that now? haha). Man, do I feel bamboozled. I'm only a couple hours in but there's no sense of exploration and I despise the EMMI sequences. Not really feeling the overall aesthetic so far either.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
ryu

Post by ryu »

blackoak wrote:I picked up Metroid Dread the other day, hoping for something to hold me over till Silksong (how many times have I said that now? haha). Man, do I feel bamboozled. I'm only a couple hours in but there's no sense of exploration and I despise the EMMI sequences. Not really feeling the overall aesthetic so far either.
Dread is extremely overrated. But I still had a good time going in with low expectations. I think my biggest gripe in the end was that the game was too long for my taste. The noticable loading times all over the game certainly didn't help.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Gran Turismo 7

I think half the reason I play this game is because of the cool locations. It's too bad that most games don't put you in pleasant areas. I'll be racing and see a cool mountain and I just get positive vibes from it.

Power Pros WBSC

I've been importing these for a while. This is the first one that has made it over since the ps2 gen, I think. It's really lacking a lot of the features of the imports. But it does have acceptable online play and is translated. I find the imports difficult to navigate and end up using Google translate a lot with those. And it's a steal at .99 cents even if you only have a passing interest in baseball.

MLB The Show 21

Finishing up some of the moments and playing online too.

NBA 2K 23

I don't know much about basketball at all. Feel like I'm learning some stuff here. Trying to go through a season with Boston.

Pac Man arcade

Just score chasing the Arcade Archives version.

Pinball FX 3

Score chasing on the Williams tables. I got really hooked on Black Rose for a while. I tried Adam's Family on the new Pinball Fx, but it just doesn't feel as snappy as Punball FX 3.

Chivalry 2

Fun spin on the FPS genre. But really come off as totally mindless. Maybe there's some depth here but I don't see much.

Diablo IV Beta

It's alright. I'll probably pick this up.

Pure Pool

Just playing a few rounds online. I was playing pool in VR and got hooked. But lately I'm too lazy to drag out the VR headset so I've been playing this instead.

Tekken 7

I don't really know enough about Tekken to play this well online. Haven't really played these much since Tekken 3 and it seems like the game has changed a lot to me.

Worms Rumble

This was better than I thought it was going to be. It's like Smash Brothers mixed with Worms. I thought it was kinda interesting anyway.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I went through Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps and I'm really noticing how fucking funny a lot of classic games actually were sometimes. The goddamn mech on the bike stage in 3 is hysterical.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Went hard on Streets of Rage 4 last week, and actually injured my hands playing so much. Will probably take a rest until the weekend.

On the positive side, using Max's default moves, I managed to S rank all the stages on Mania+. Will try put it all together and get a clear in Arcade mode.

New patch is tremendous fun. That said, I had a quick playthough with Axel on normal and the difference with Max was night and day. Perhaps I wasn't used to Axel's playstyle, but it was actually quite boring. Think I will stick to Max for now, and play Floyd a little later on (I've heard he's much improved.)
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

XoPachi wrote:I went through Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps and I'm really noticing how fucking funny a lot of classic games actually were sometimes. The goddamn mech on the bike stage in 3 is hysterical.
III and especially Hard Corps have some of the most unashamedly dancing, flailing, pirouetting death machines ever. :mrgreen: My favourite is possibly HC's Great Takeda Robot, so named for Takeshi Takeda... the final form - a trident-wielding, carpet-bombing cyclops on chainsaw treads - looks positively thrilled to be there. Image
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

BurlyHeart wrote:Went hard on Streets of Rage 4 last week, and actually injured my hands playing so much. Will probably take a rest until the weekend.

On the positive side, using Max's default moves, I managed to S rank all the stages on Mania+. Will try put it all together and get a clear in Arcade mode.

New patch is tremendous fun. That said, I had a quick playthough with Axel on normal and the difference with Max was night and day. Perhaps I wasn't used to Axel's playstyle, but it was actually quite boring. Think I will stick to Max for now, and play Floyd a little later on (I've heard he's much improved.)
Axel is definitely the most straightforward character in the cast. He was pretty underpowered in earlier revisions of the game but got scaled up over time. Generally I like his meat-and-potatoes approach: his high damage and relatively limited tools mean he's all about traditional crowd control, setting groups up to satisfyingly shred them with his Grand Upper, his combo special, or his group-dispersing charge kick.

That said, I've been playing as him a bit the last few days, and damn - I've beaten arcade mania+ with Floyd and Max but I haven't been able to beat even the final stage (still on mania+) by itself with (default) Axel at all. Both heavies have plenty of screen-sweeping tools that let them plow over the crowds of Zs and the hellish fat guy rush at the end, but with Axel and his smaller-scale group management options, I haven't yet figured out how to manage stage 12's trouble spots. They were tough enough on old Mania+, but with the new enemy design changes it's a whole new level of brutal.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Went hard on Streets of Rage 4 last week, and actually injured my hands playing so much. Will probably take a rest until the weekend.

Axel is definitely the most straightforward character in the cast. He was pretty underpowered in earlier revisions of the game but got scaled up over time. Generally I like his meat-and-potatoes approach: his high damage and relatively limited tools mean he's all about traditional crowd control, setting groups up to satisfyingly shred them with his Grand Upper, his combo special, or his group-dispersing charge kick.

That said, I've been playing as him a bit the last few days, and damn - I've beaten arcade mania+ with Floyd and Max but I haven't been able to beat even the final stage (still on mania+) by itself with (default) Axel at all. Both heavies have plenty of screen-sweeping tools that let them plow over the crowds of Zs and the hellish fat guy rush at the end, but with Axel and his smaller-scale group management options, I haven't yet figured out how to manage stage 12's trouble spots. They were tough enough on old Mania+, but with the new enemy design changes it's a whole new level of brutal.
Congrats on the clears! Did you do the haunted arcades as well? Going to give it a go this weekend, but I think I'm a few weeks away yet.

Can imagine Axel being tough to play on the later stages. I might learn him eventually. I can definitely see myself playing this game for quite the while.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Vexx - Ps2.

I picked this up as a curiosity. Seems like an overly cumbersome Mario 64 with lots of loading screens and extremely long quests with tedious platforming. But its ok, I am enjoying it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I liked Vexx. Its controls aren't quite as solid as those of a Mario 3d platformer, but it does scratch the same itch.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Chalk me up as another "Vexx is actually okay" entry; it's been quite a long time since I played it, and I definitely roll my eyes remembering both the camera and the attempts at "edginess", but a number of the level designs were neat enough to keep me coming back. Definitely worth the pittance I paid for it, at the very least.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Went to Best Buy the other day and was in the Switch section. This game I'd never heard of called Demon Throttle caught my eye. Don't buy blind purchases, but this one intrigued me. Just did the first 2 levels today and I must saw I'm impressed. Not really a fan of 8-bit graphics, but the gameplay has that, "let me try one more time" quality.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Super Spy Hunter/Battle Formula No Death Run with secret Pong minigame

One of Sunsoft classics despite some serious janks (instant death lasers, blind jumps, big powerloss after death etc) but aesthetically game is cool as fuck with 10/10 music. I always comeback every once a while since then but this time I got a nodeath run. Decelerate the car speed by 1-2 pixel also safe for the st6 blind jumps. There's also the out-of-place pong minigame if you press A 8 times then press start on the continue screen, if you win the game you'll get 10 lives bonus.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Congrats! Super cool game, that. Pretty difficulty 1LC too, with all the lethal hazards in the last few stages.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

This has to be the quickest reply on system11 I've ever seen, you deserved the WR title now. :lol:

The inertia control makes st3 boss first phase way harder than it should have, complete with unpredictable instakill lasers. And the mines on beach stage duuuuuuude they sucks almost took a death because I was decelerate too low.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

BurlyHeart wrote: Congrats on the clears! Did you do the haunted arcades as well? Going to give it a go this weekend, but I think I'm a few weeks away yet.

Can imagine Axel being tough to play on the later stages. I might learn him eventually. I can definitely see myself playing this game for quite the while.
I did all of them except for the one with the SoR3 twins, in stage 11. I actually don't think many of them add much to the run's difficulty unless you break some of them at a bad time, as most of them are fairly nonthreatenings olo, so it's probably easier to do them just to get some extra stars (for the purpose of nuking bosses' elite mooks, if nothing else). The only ones I find especially problematic are the aforementioned twins and stage 10's Souther, who is a genuinely nasty addition to what is already one of the hardest fights in the game; I'm not sure I ever made it past that fight unscathed.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Finished up Banjo Kazooie a couple days ago. After hearing how great it was for years, had to give it a go and see what the fuss was about. I personally think Banjo Tooie is way more refined and just better overall, but this is still a solid platform/adventure game, till I got to SPOILER SPOILER: the end with that crap that is Gruntys Furnace Fun.

Started Resident Evil 4 last night and beat chapter 1. I only buy 1 or 2 AAA games a year and if more love and polish was put into AAA, maybe I'd buy more of them. Anyway, I did play the original back in the day, but don't remember much about it, except the beginning I do remember being hard, which it was in this remake as well. Good stuff.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I played Murder of Sonic.
I don't care about VN's typically. But you know, Sonic and free so why not? One thing I like about this is that's really only an April Fool's joke in it's conception but it's not full of jokes or a thoroughly joke plot. There's some funny moments of course. But it's more an actual story of a common citizen in Sonic's world experiencing a strange day in the time of Eggman's tyranny. Even ending with a genuine Sonic threat that was plotted from the start. This could have very well been another 4 issue side comic series like the IDW Sonic Annual or Scrapnik Island and it wouldn't be out of place.

I kind of like that. A totally random new commoner that gets caught up in a single extraordinary circumstance. Just to give a little bit of flesh to an overarching main conflict players already experience in the main games (or comics) from an powerless innocent's perspective. I'd like to see more of this kind of thing. It was cute and charming.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Played Metroid Prime 3 for a while and ended up dropping it near the end. Backtracking in Metroid games normally doesn't bother me much, but in this one its offensively tedious in some places and I just had enough near the end. Sky Town has great atmosphere, but it's such a slog to travel through.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Nier Automata, years after everyone.
Not the best combat system ever, but damned do you get involved with those characters and world as you progress with the story. I love it.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
ryu

Post by ryu »

guigui wrote:Nier Automata, years after everyone.
Not the best combat system ever, but damned do you get involved with those characters and world as you progress with the story. I love it.
That was my take-away as well. Great world, atmosphere, story and characters. The combat is just good enough to keep you entertained.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Final Vendetta. Fun game. Hard Mode is kicking my pants but Easy Mode is a breeze.

Replaying Salt and Sanctuary again. I've purchased this game at least three separate times. :lol: The best 2d soulslike ever made.

Wonderful 101 is in the mail. Should be a good time when it gets here.

Other than that, I'm just debating whether or not to splurge for Valken Declassified.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I remember playing Automata on an older PC and got to a point where the game brought my system to it's knees. Old AMD Radeon 7850. Terrible card.
It was some massive snake made from junk flying around the sky in the main city hub at around the 10 hour mark.
guigui

Post by guigui »

XoPachi wrote:I remember playing Automata on an older PC and got to a point where the game brought my system to it's knees. Old AMD Radeon 7850. Terrible card.
It was some massive snake made from junk flying around the sky in the main city hub at around the 10 hour mark.
Less than one third of the game I think. Definitely worth getting back to it if newer PC, on get a console release.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.