Isn't Strider overrated? (Verdict: MD Yes / AC No)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Rob

Re: Isn't Strider overrated? (Verdict: MD Yes / AC No)

Post by Rob »

Slight element of unpredictability always adds the right spice. It's also short enough so that a rare game wrecker can be mostly shrugged (or, indeed, laughed) off. Played a bunch earlier in the year. Recall only a few bugs that felt like total bullshit. As for the MD version being overrated - point in favor: more time to pose post-stage clear. It's Strider and that's important.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Rob wrote:Slight element of unpredictability always adds the right spice.
We're talking about stuff that will unfairly ruin your run due to programming gaps. That's not how I define spicy unpredictability, because you can't prepare for it.
Rob wrote:. It's also short enough so that a rare game wrecker can be mostly shrugged (or, indeed, laughed) off.
Well yeah, I'd agree with that. Except the rare part. They're more commonplace than folks seem to (want to) believe.

If we're getting our critical boots on though, it shouldn't have ANY game wreckers at all, in any version. Not many games get that kind of a pass, which is why I think Strider's strength of concept is so important. People might complain that Strider 2's stages aren't as impressive because it lacks the contiguous layout of the original, but it won't decide to bend you over and fuck you at any point for no reason. You're the master of your own destiny.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

When Ouroboros dumps me straight through his body at the end of a one-life attempt in the MD version, it's not so much spicy as reminiscent of the time I was enjoying a hoagie then bit down on an olive pit and nearly shattered two rear molars. :[
Rob wrote:point in favor: more time to pose post-stage clear. It's Strider and that's important.
This is true, needless to say. POSE OR GTFO.
Last edited by BIL on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Skykid wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:What bugs did you run into Skykid?
All sorts of crap on stage 2, mainly everyone's favourite flying vehicle transit. Got knocked through floors, wiped out by being blasted clear offscreen, and stuck that infamous hanging on to the propeller loop where you can't swing back up (much worse in MD).
Yeah, that's why I think Stage 2 airlift is the hardest part of the game. There's so much that can go wrong, and sometimes it just bad luck. Sometimes the bombs can jet sideways. I think it's all part of Capcom's "dynamic difficulty" that they advertised at the time. It's very similar to how Daimakaimura can occasionally screw you.
Rob wrote:Slight element of unpredictability always adds the right spice.
:wink:

I agree. Everyone says that Strider is a easy game once you know how to clear it. The unpredictibility gives it some extra life, otherwise it would be boring to play. I've been hitting it hard the past couple days. I have strategies for every part of the game with just the short sword and no options. But I haven't been able to get in a no-powerup nomiss yet, thanks to Stage 2, lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

In my runs on the AC and PS1 versions (Japan Set 1 in MAME / NTSCJ PS1), I've noticed the bombs will always veer left once the bomber is coming into view. It's to the point where I can tell if I'm about to get shafted by a supposedly clear pattern, and plan accordingly. A bigger problem is bombs hiding behind the sprites of the bomber's propellors - some really embarassing bonks on the head can occur there. Overall though I'm comfy with that bit now. Would like to know what governs getting five bombs instead of four, just out of curiosity.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

BIL wrote:Would like to know what governs getting five bombs instead of four, just out of curiosity.
It's probably rank, which I think is only a function of survival time like Daimakaimura. When the rank is higher, the bombs move faster and more erratically.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hmm... so if you were to reach the bombing sooner, the rank may not be as high? Would explain why sometimes I shred right through to that point and get rewarded for it with the easier pattern. I wonder if this affects items too at all.