Isn't Strider overrated? (Verdict: MD Yes / AC No)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Skykid

Isn't Strider overrated? (Verdict: MD Yes / AC No)

Post by Skykid »

I dunno. When it came out it was impressive visually, but a friend recently mentioned Strider in a sentence and said that people consider it 'the perfect game'.

I don't consider it the perfect game. In fact, I find there's a hell of a lot wrong with the controls and general ropeyness of the play. The weight of the character can be odd and it lacks solidity, which can make things frustrating.
That's not to say its unplayable or anything, I did play through the whole thing on a number of formats, especially way back when.

But the 'perfect game'?

Hmmm... :?
Last edited by Skykid on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

szycag

Post by szycag »

Where would that put Osman/Cannon Dancer if it were true :)
The formula, as far as the gameplay's approach and how everything is set up, and how the game treats the player, is really sound. I think that's why it gets the praise that it does. If Isuke could work with the technology of today, I think we could very well be on to that "perfect game".
That is Galactic Dancing
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I don't know about it being a 'perfect game' but I sure had a lot of fun with the megadrive version years ago. I was rubbish at it but I kept coming back for more. Really inventive as well.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
Rupert H

Re: Controversial but...Isn't Strider overrated?

Post by Rupert H »

Skykid wrote: but a friend recently mentioned Strider in a sentence and said that people consider it 'the perfect game'.
Was that me? I sure hope so, as that's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. If by overrated you mean people bang on about it too much, then yeah, I'll give you that one. I guess that maybe Darren at Retro Gamer has turned Strider-worship into a big issue-long in-joke, but the fact remains that Strider is the perfect marriage of cutting edge technology, impeccable design, innovative ideas, firm but fair challenge, and perfectly realised controls.

The art direction and pacing of the game are so perfect that every play through feels as exciting as the first -- the game hasn't aged one bit.
dpful

Post by dpful »

There's a graphic glich by his head when he walks up a hill (arcade).
I guess there's some kind of hairy parts, and too easy parts, and some parts that zip by a little fast.

I don't think I've ever played a game that had a better pace or more coherent progression. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it does seem to just roll along smoother than any game I have EVER PLAYED. Osman and Strider 2 are both inferior in this aspect. Osman is similar, but has lots of dead spots, or bits that are a little too wierd or hard. Strider 2 would probably be close if it didn't interupt every time you walk through a door (pretty obnoxious interruption style, too).

I think Castlevania 1 has a nice pace, too. Anyone else have a comment of good game pacing? I think that as far as "elements of form" go in games, pacing it right up at the top.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

My first response was going to be: FUCK YOU!

But no, really, Strider is GREAT, but certainly not flawless. When it came out and was extremely imaginative and seemed both extremely daunting, yet possible to master. Unlike many other arcades at the time that had long levels which seemed to exist just to eat quarters, the levels in Strider actually had design and made sense. If you knew what you were doing you could plow though them pretty easily.

If there's anything resembling a 'blah' level here, it is the dino/amazon level, but a good player knows this is also the place to rack up the most points.

So anyway, no, it isn't perfect, but it is a really well designed and imaginative platformer that is still very playable and fun today.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Skykid wrote:I dunno. When it came out it was impressive visually, but a friend recently mentioned Strider in a sentence and said that people consider it 'the perfect game'.

I don't consider it the perfect game. In fact, I find there's a hell of a lot wrong with the controls and general ropeyness of the play. The weight of the character can be odd and it lacks solidity, which can make things frustrating.
That's not to say its unplayable or anything, I did play through the whole thing on a number of formats, especially way back when.

But the 'perfect game'?

Hmmm... :?
Any game considered to be "perfect" is likely overrated.

That said, strider is up there in the 99th percentile of games.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Rupert H wrote:
Skykid wrote: but a friend recently mentioned Strider in a sentence and said that people consider it 'the perfect game'.
Was that me? I sure hope so, as that's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. If by overrated you mean people bang on about it too much, then yeah, I'll give you that one. I guess that maybe Darren at Retro Gamer has turned Strider-worship into a big issue-long in-joke, but the fact remains that Strider is the perfect marriage of cutting edge technology, impeccable design, innovative ideas, firm but fair challenge, and perfectly realised controls.
Now here's a game that needs the 'change direction in mid-air mechanic'. Rastan was the better game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

320x240 wrote:
Rupert H wrote:
Now here's a game that needs the 'change direction in mid-air mechanic'. Rastan was the better game.
Hey Rupert you lurker! Yes, it was you. I went back to it the same night we spoke and was like...naahh!

I'm not seeing perfection - innovation yes, but since the release the ropeyness that sees off screen/suddenly appearing enemies and shots that play havoc with your life bar have been refined in newer games.
I don't agree in comparing Rastan, as they're quite different.
Last edited by Skykid on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceph

Post by Ceph »

@Skykid:
See, it's topics like this that 2dgaming.net was created for.
You are a member there, and so are szycag, dpful, 320x240 and many others. Why not use it?

Yes, I know. Spam.

/Spam
kernow

Post by kernow »

Damn right its overrated. I liked it at the time and thought the c64 port was very good, but it just infuriates me now.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ceph wrote:@Skykid:
See, it's topics like this that 2dgaming.net was created for.
You are a member there, and so are szycag, dpful, 320x240 and many others. Why not use it?

Yes, I know. Spam.

/Spam
Stop making me feel guilty!:D
The simple answer is probably that being on shmups is a matter of convenience: all the guys are here already and I know it's those guys I'm pitching the topic question to.
By comparison, the debate elsewhere might not be as strong as the members may not be as interested in discussing. For instance, I wouldn't post this topic on Arcadeotaku.com either.

Hope that makes sense!

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I remember when I first laid my eyes on a brand new arcade cabinet showing Strider for the first time. It was very different and refreshing compared to what was being released at the current time. I plunked down my first quarter and it was an interesting experience. I liked the heavy Japanese anime look to some of the stages. Very high quality aesthetics from the get-go. You just don't see such arcade game titles with that type of beautiful handdrawn sprite artwork anymore (likewise with CPS1 Rooster/Night Wanderers goregous and lavish 2-D shmup sprite fest). I'm sure it was a labor of love from the intial pre-conceptual drawings to the final PCB pressing. ^_~

Just out of curiousity, how much does a Capcom CPS1 PCB of Strider go for these days?

And how close in emulation is the PSX port of Strider compared to the actual PCB itself?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Strider doesn't excite me all that much. I like the GB version though (possibly because it's not really a Strider game eh what) :D
gennss

Post by gennss »

I thought the genesis version was very nice graphically. Gameplay... average.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

320x240 wrote:Rastan was the better game.
Ban plz
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

It was pretty mind-blowing back in the day, but I have problems with it now. It's still pretty good, but it's infuriating.

I think Osman might be better. But it doesn't have the wonderful designs of Strider.

s/m
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

"Isn't Strider overrated?"
Not at all.
benstylus wrote:
strider is up there in the 99th percentile of games.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I like the strider sprite better in the genesis version- pcb dude looks kind of lurpy sometimes.

All Sons of old Gods, DIE!

Osman is more fun, gameplay wise. I think strider 2 would be the best, cameplay wise, if they'd just redesigned a few level things. They spend a little to much time on the backs of stuff (polygons) on that one. Voices during the intermissions, and no interuptions would have improved it 200% (it's those things that make #1 so good in a lot of ways).
Last edited by dpful on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Strider did a lot of things right for its time. The graphics, the music, the challenge level, the simple and quick gameplay... it was a very good platformer/hack 'n slash. It still is really, despite how far games have come. The fact that it continually makes it into "BESTEST EVAR!" lists year after year means Capcom obviously did something right.

But to answer the question, I personally don't think it's over-rated.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Strider has a few annoying flaws, but it is still awesome.

Strider 2 just doesn't have the same intensity.

Osman is definitely overrated.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

dpful wrote:I like the strider sprite better in the genesis version
The Genesis version looked damn good considering its smaller ROM size; the thing that annoyed me most about it was how easy it is to fall right through any sort of moving platform, including your ride to the final boss.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Moving platforms? Sometimes you could fall through the floor! :lol:
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Stormwatch wrote:Moving platforms? Sometimes you could fall through the floor! :lol:
Yeah, but it was especially bad if the platform was moving (either via forced scrolling or independent movement). The main problem spots that I remember are:

- The weird un-helicopter things in the arctic level
- The lever-like platform on the flying battleship in the same level
- The weight-sensitive vinelike platforms in the jungle level
- The Communist Party Council on Anti-Gravity Self-Assembling Arthropodic Robots
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I agree that Osman is overrated in any case, but I kinda thought Strider 2 was more fun than the original. I'm more of a Castlevania fan in any case.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Strider was one of my most favorite gaming moments when I was a kid. I never thought it was perfect today but there isn't much of anything that I'd call PERFECT.

I don't think it's over rated, I here alot that like it but it's never fealt like I was wading through a sea of strider fanboy-ism at any point.

It was really something quite different in presentation and control for a platformer back then. It was my 1st import ever... the megadrive version. I literally beat every day for a year after that x-mas i got it. I had noticed one day that 3 months had gone buy that i hadn't beat it. So i wanted to see how long I could keep that up for some odd reason.

But I NEVER found myself having to wrestle with the controls ect.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I remember dropping through platforms and floors on the Megadrive version. Not good.

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

That only happened to me it I was close to the edges or angles, but it's not to fair to call it bad based on a port you know.

Play the PSX version or the PCB....

Still I never had extreme issues playing the megadrive version. I could easily play through it now, it's etched into the back of my brain like screen burn in.

I've seen your collection, I mean it's not like you don't own some not so perfect games with some flaws in there. So do I.... most of them even. Perfect is over rated and not a very often occurance in my book.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

The 'not good' comment was aimed at the port dude - not the arcade version.

Hm, how do I put this. It's a good game, massive for its time in terms of graphics and fast paced play. I know the game can be properly learned and destroyed by many, which is a hallmark of good design.
But there are ropey elements in there that become frustrating. I put it down to being dated really and not much else.
But I see those 'dated' elements as small flaws that become annoying, and its no longer as impressive as it once was.
So yeah, I don't see it as the 'perfect' game. More just a great action platformer of its time with a decent difficulty curve and some cool stage design that you could go back to, but probably wouldn't persevere with too long anymore.

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I guess so, but that's alot of stuff that's old these days. I wouldn't say it's over rated though.