Diablo 3

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
bitkid

Diablo 3

Post by bitkid »

OMG this is gonna be so sick. There's gameplay trailers up now showing the barbarian and witch doctor class. 19min of gameplay in the videos that just came out.

Are you guys stoked for D3 or what?

http://kotaku.com/5020479/diablo-iii-vi ... ay-footage
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

going to play it for sure.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

*sigh*

I guess it's another year of life down the Diablo drain. :D
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I've never played a Diablo game, but the gameplay footage of this did look interesting. Especially with some co-op it might turn out seriously addictive.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Every Diablo game so far has been awesomely addictive, and all of them had great multiplayer for their time. Blizzard just can't do otherwise, it seems: Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo all were the same kind of awesome games that just won't die.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Crap. D2+Xpac already wasted a solid 2 years of my life with spurts of a few additional months every now and then afterwards.
PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

I watched the gameplay videos and I have to say that this game has got me psyched for the first time in a long time.

MGS4 and GTAIV are to consoles, what Diablo 3 is going to be for PC's if the game lives up to what we have seen so far. And I think D3 has a chance to have a bigger impact than either of those other two games had.

I noted as well, due to the placement of the UI (HP/MP/Shorcuts) that I think D3 is going to be a widescreen game from the start with backward support for non-Widescreen monitors.

And while I may be overestimating, I think D3 just might be enough of a 'killer app' to get people to do some upgrading of their older computers and bring the average PC stats up. Not that I think D3 won't be 'easy' on system requirements comparatively. I don't expect it to have Crysis levels of CPU sucking performance...but I think it's going to be a step up for a lot of people who will want to play it.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Nah, I don't expect it to be an upgrade-demanding app at all. None of Blizzard's previous games were, and this one looks like it doesn't need much at all if you don't explicitly require shaders covering the corpses of slain monsters. I've seen physics simulated to that exact level back in 2005 in Black & White 2, same can be said about estimated polygon count.
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

What's so crazy is that Blizzard has two A tier titles coming out soon (Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2) as well as the next expansion for WoW. That company must have a big ass staff to manage that many top notch projects as well as the servers for all of them.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Blizzard is famous for announcing today and releasing in like three years. Don't expect this game until about 2010.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:Blizzard is famous for announcing today and releasing in like three years. Don't expect this game until about 2010.
Yeah... it sucks.

Anway, I came back in here to say they're replacing the necro with a "witch doctor". Does anyone else think that is complete crap? necro ftw.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I think what they tried to do was combining necromancer with druid, while making something new at the same time. Not that bad an idea, actually, though I agree that "witch doctor" is kinda lame by itself.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I'm eagerly awaiting for an elemental magic-user class. Loved the Sorceress back in D2.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
landshark

Post by landshark »

i can't wait.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I was about seven years late on picking up Diablo 2 (was just playing it last night, in fact) but I've been enjoying it so far (aside from the need for a fair bit of grinding in places.) I haven't bothered trying to play on BNet yet though, although I can see where that would get addicitive after a while.

Anyway, this looks like it should be a lot of fun (I've been playing a barbarian on the playthrough I've been doing now) although I suspect my current PC wouldn't handle it all that well (it's pushing 3 1/2 years old at this point.)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Both Diablo games have eaten a big chunk out of my life, so I hope the next installment will be just as good.

What will happen to D2 once D3 is out? Will they shut down the D2 servers to make room for the next installment?

I hope D3 does not need NASA-grade system requirements. Diablo II's huge success was partially due to the fact that it could run on pretty much any system.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

I too have never played any of the Diablo games but have always wanted to try Diablo II just because I hear so much about it. I may check this out but does this series have a story that I'll miss out on by not playing the first two games or will I be safe just jumping in with the third?
Peace Through Violence
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Well, the story there is decent, but pretty negligible overall. The gameplay, however, may take a little to adjust to, because you'll want to use (and plan) your skills more-or-less effectively to save yourself the trouble of suddenly becoming underpowered by the last 1/3 of the game.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Do the Diablo games have anything that could even be called gameplay? You click and watch your guy attack. There's no skill involved, and no strategy or real teamwork; the player quickly finds out the best way to handle the situations that pop up and then follows them heuristically. Just turn your brain off and follow the rules, like Minesweeper. Or masturbation.

* Looks and the mirror and sees one of those guys who pops in a thread just to tell everyone they're dumb for liking something.*

Noooooo! I'm a MONSTER!!!!!!
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Mortificator wrote:Do the Diablo games have anything that could even be called gameplay? You click and watch your guy attack. There's no skill involved, and no strategy or real teamwork; the player quickly finds out the best way to handle the situations that pop up and then follows them heuristically.
Heh, well, have you actually tried beating LoD 1.11+ on Hell difficulty at a level around ~65 (that is, without grinding)? Or, say, playing in hardcore mode? Or both? I know it sounds fantastic, but it does require thought to accomplish your goal under such conditions.

I'm starting to sound like I usually do when somebody accuses Perfect Cherry Blossom of having no scoring system, haha.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'm COMPLETELY psyched about this release. I haven't been this excited about a game since Diablo 2.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Shalashaska wrote:Does this series have a story that I'll miss out on by not playing the first two games or will I be safe just jumping in with the third?
If you're interested, you should check Cain's Journal for an overview of the whole story.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Mortificator wrote:Do the Diablo games have anything that could even be called gameplay? You click and watch your guy attack. There's no skill involved, and no strategy or real teamwork; the player quickly finds out the best way to handle the situations that pop up and then follows them heuristically. Just turn your brain off and follow the rules, like Minesweeper. Or masturbation.

[/i]
I have only played the first title but I couldn't get into it for the same reasons stated above. I always found myself wishing for complete control of my character. :?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Mortificator wrote:Do the Diablo games have anything that could even be called gameplay? You click and watch your guy attack. There's no skill involved, and no strategy or real teamwork; the player quickly finds out the best way to handle the situations that pop up and then follows them heuristically. Just turn your brain off and follow the rules, like Minesweeper. Or masturbation.

* Looks and the mirror and sees one of those guys who pops in a thread just to tell everyone they're dumb for liking something.*

Noooooo! I'm a MONSTER!!!!!!
There is very little skill involved in playing Diablo games properly, but who said gameplay was necessarily about skill ? They're not trying to be competitive games or games that take a lot of skill but they're great games nonetheless.

If you hate all games that don't take skill, your loss, cause some of them are really worth the time.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Jon wrote:

[/i]
I have only played the first title but I couldn't get into it for the same reasons stated above. I always found myself wishing for complete control of my character. :?
I was going to say the same. It's all about click, click click, monster died, go to next, click, click, click, click, monster died, go to next, click, click, click, click...

it's not just completely devoid of any need of skills, it's just extremely boring. I never understood what made people claim this game was good. You could just keep clicking on random icons at your desktop, it would have the same effect.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Shatterhand wrote:
Jon wrote:

[/i]
I was going to say the same. It's all about click, click click, monster died, go to next, click, click, click, click, monster died, go to next, click, click, click, click...

it's not just completely devoid of any need of skills, it's just extremely boring. I never understood what made people claim this game was good. You could just keep clicking on random icons at your desktop, it would have the same effect.
Indeed, the other day, I sorted all my music on my computer into genres. It took me an hour, and I'm ashamed to say I enjoyed every minute of it :oops:
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

I was big into Diablo II for a while, but it becomes pretty repetitive. There isn't really any action or strategy, just twinking and left-clicking for hours and hours and hours.

After a while it seems a lot like manual labor. I think if I'm going to perform a repetitive mindless task for long periods of time I should at least be getting minimum wage.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Yes yes it is click click click to the jillionth power but there are other aspects too ya know. You can try out different kinds of builds for each class, survive through the whole game in every difficulty in hardcore mode (where if you die, your character is dead forever and all your items too unless you allow someone to loot your body), there's the whole online economy for items and such, trying to make your character uber godly levelwise and gearwise, collecting certain items/sets. etc. There is also pvp.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

My wife enjoys playing through these types of games with me, and I find them enjoyable enough.

All games are repetitive if you want to break it down. It's just a question of whether or not you enjoy a particular game's repetitive actions.
kengou

Post by kengou »

I haven't played any of them but my friends always ranted about how awesome Diablo II was. I think I'll download it and give it a shot to see if I should get excited for DIII.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."