the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The Levelord leaves messagez :mrgreen:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Well, level design in Quake is superb. Music is haunting and fitting. Controls are also good.
What an awesome new (old) experience! 8)
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Interesting times! Check this out:
https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do/b ... /README.md

Even non-technically-minded folk like myself can get something out of the developer's notes on the port history.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Interesting times! Check this out:
https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do/b ... /README.md

Even non-technically-minded folk like myself can get something out of the developer's notes on the port history.
That's awesome that they had a real band for the 3DO port. Sucks that such little time was actually available for working on the rest of the port.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Of all the gaming eras, few make me say oh lawd I'm glad that's over more than the mid 90s and its shambolic yet alluring DOOM console ports. Fascinating in hindsight, of course.

32X DOOM has magical splosions that kill stuff through walls too. Monster closet more like monster sitting ducks baaahaha! Inheritance from id's Jaguar port I guess?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Can anyone tell me why most X-box FPS controls have such shitty vertical resolution? I loves me some Nightfire multiplayer, but it's a bear to line up headshots. The Halo games got it right, though I suppose that's mostly by turning the speed down.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Far Cry 4 seems to be pretty decent so far. The enemies react a little bit better than Far Cry 3. Aiming seems to be a little smoother too. I thought Far Cry 3 was a wee bit too janky.
NRS

Post by NRS »

Just wanted to mention that today is DOOM's 21st birthday.

Others are celebrating, and you probably should, too.
Spoiler
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wish the new BDOOM would show up so I may fap once more.

Also, MURDA SIMZ are back in the papers! THE FUNNY PAPERS THAT IS. bahahaha! (ye I read the DM fuckz it to u m8? wot u read, TH BEANO??)
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

I'm about halfway into Shadow Warrior 2013. Had it for months and decided to install it after grabbing the Special Edition DLC for cheap. Also testing out games to see how they run on my new Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X.

You know what? I wasn't expecting too much, but it's a pretty damn good single-player FPS! And that's coming off fairly recent FPS franchise reboots that were either lacking (Rise of the Triad 2013 has some design issues, but I really respect the spirit put into it) or just garbage (Duke Nukem Forever, enough said).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:Wish the new BDOOM would show up so I may fap once more.

Also, MURDA SIMZ are back in the papers! THE FUNNY PAPERS THAT IS. bahahaha! (ye I read the DM fuckz it to u m8? wot u read, TH BEANO??)
Cue Tony Robinson asking "please explain murder simulators, in words a Beano reader can understand"
*laughter*
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I don't know who the money is going to, but I'll take it anyway :)

Feels good man. Also, those reviews are great.
Marc

Post by Marc »

StoofooEsq wrote:I'm about halfway into Shadow Warrior 2013. Had it for months and decided to install it after grabbing the Special Edition DLC for cheap. Also testing out games to see how they run on my new Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X.

You know what? I wasn't expecting too much, but it's a pretty damn good single-player FPS! And that's coming off fairly recent FPS franchise reboots that were either lacking (Rise of the Triad 2013 has some design issues, but I really respect the spirit put into it) or just garbage (Duke Nukem Forever, enough said).
Just playing on PS4 and enjoying it. One thing it does remind me is how utterly lacking in secrets most modern shooters are. There's nothing in the way of Doom /Duke complexity level wise (so far - 4th chapter), but at least there's some hidden stuff to ferret out. Good mindless fun, and quite challenging on hard.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

Anyone tried this "Brutal Half Life" mod yet? http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-half-life

I played through HL1 again just a few years ago so I'm not likely to try this out, but it looks promising. What it would really need though are remixed enemies, with some proper doom-style hordes waiting to be mown down.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Funny thing - Aaron Giles is mentioned a bunch of times in the Outlaws credits for programming. There's also a couple quote compilations at the end, and one is something like "Can you take this on, Steve? Aaron is pretty stacked right now."

Can't say I had the best impression of the game after it crashing Windows Explorer upon trying to load a game immediately after the pre-final boss cutscene, but them's the breaks. Might upload it somewhere, see if anybody can fix it or at least learn to avoid it. (Might have something to do with the easter egg dog.)

Overall, wasn't really a good game. There's the "Historical Missions" but I'm not too excited.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Is UT2004 the last commercially released FPS with optional software 3D acceleration? Bizarrely, in Unreal Anthology the original UT supports widescreen, yet UT2004 doesn't. Alien Swarm displays slightly wider picture than 4:3, but not full widescreen either, so it's got to do something with the engine.
What do you know, Republic Commando is 4:3 only as well. Any UE2 game that wasn't?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Is anyone following up on Overwatch? Game looks really promising. They're releasing character gameplay previews on their youtube channel.

McCree
Tracer
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

one of my old buddies from TFC just released a new avi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1ejyC ... e=youtu.be

not that it'll ever touch allstars avi, but it's still pretty sick. been playin a little ns2 with my old tfc pals too. some of them have been making some pretty gnarly ns2 avis
a creature... half solid half gas
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I guess this thread is a fit for what I've played: The Rainbow Six games on PlayStation, all three of them. Well, 'played' in the sense that I've savestated my way to victory for the sake of speed. All played on pSX, which is old, outdated, and forces me to use a frame image to get its viewing ratio right, but I don't feel like troubleshooting Mednafen any more.

Medal of Honor: Underground - Finishes off what I view as the "classic" MOH franchise before its reinvention as a modern (and playable) one. Lots of Nazi helmet-popping action, but quite difficult to get good ranks. I think ratings are based almost exclusively on kill count, not accuracy. The game does some interesting things - I loved many of the set pieces and finding out I could drop things on Nazis was almost as good as that first time you knocked a helmet off. Some good humor ("Anything for a lady" and don't get me started on those photo poses), some good research mixed in with a really liberal treatment of war history (things didn't quite happen as they're shown here). On the bad side, it's quite difficult to get a Jacques o' Lantern, Head Waiter, or Decongester rating without spending 90% of your time firing at enemies in cover, and if you don't, you'll find ammo can get scarce fast, while the PlayStation controls aren't well suited to quick aiming. Some odd bugs here and there took down the action a notch (level not drawing in on time, things not triggering, that kind of stuff). Dancing dogs, oh wow. Overall, the combat was repetitive and that brought the enjoyment level down greatly - I wouldn't bother with this unless you're a gaming historian / obsessive. I love the music, but unless you want the corny voice-overs, you can hear most tracks in much better quality off the OST.

Rainbow Six: Developed by Rebellion - remember that name. A lot less bad than I had expected in certain ways, and given the bitching about this game, you'd think the comparison to Underground wouldn't be close. Well, both games have movement hitches at doorways, but R6 actually often has a "cleaner" presentation - though the intro mission and the extremely cut-down final level are real disappointments (and there's many other clunkers in the mission list, but a few semi-interesting locales). I didn't notice much in the way of slowdown, though aiming precisely is a problem even with analog sticks; I didn't ever spot enemies popping back to life after switching team members - both are complaints a player made about the game. Many maps are almost totally reimagined from the PC, and the game sports a niftily animated front end, but it's cumbersome and there's no planning screen, just a static screen showing three possible insertion points. Despite being "less bad" there's not much good to say for it; a dual analog / dual shock controller will make things playable at least. For no apparent reason the game offers an on-screen gun view. There's one kind-of-interesting thing in the game - the pure stealth mission. This is quite difficult and I can't imagine anybody would seriously try it with multiple team members. Instead, take one team member and use the white alarm square outlines - painted on some floors - to lure enemies, so you can rush around the mansion. I never attempted using the heartbeat sensor, which would make things a lot easier; instead I just savestated around. Kind of fun to figure this out, but execution is going to be a real pain without some clues. Beyond that, many other maps are actually too easy with too few enemies and a lot of leeway in reaction time.

Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear: Not developed by Rebellion, but by "Saffire." A much closer port of the original game, complete with banners waving in the wind outside the first museum. I think there's rarely a bit of slowdown, and some areas are heavily fogged / disappear into darkness, and of course anything outside the map isn't drawn - but things still hold their distinctive shapes from the original game, which is nice. You can spot differences against the PC original from the prerendered loading / mission ending screens, and they're usually pretty close to the in-game action. Very importantly, it brings back the planning maps. The autoaim seems to work a bit better - more like the original game, even - than the previous title. On the bad side, the entire game isn't very interesting the second time around, and enemies are generally dim-witted. There are a number of stealth missions here, but with the heartbeat sensor you are more than a match for them. They did include the entire ending sequence - including the final message from Lukyan Barsukov, a nice touch. The multiplayer mode is complete trash once again, often with hostages in the assassination mode almost within line-of-sight to the other side. Overall, though, not an awful play, but still not well suited to the console. As a side note, the weapon descriptions are missing, and it was never clear what advantages / disadvantages accrue from choosing one of the approximately 800 variants of MP5 or 5.56 rifle over one of the others. Any time you can take weapons, there's no downside to taking along a silenced one.

Rainbow Six - Lone Wolf: Oh boy, Rebellion again. The entire game data is about 81MB, and it has a rather stripped-down front end. No music, no voiceovers. The story is simple, potentially promising, but executed very badly, with some hackneyed attempts to copy the regular R6 writing style without actually adding the details that draw people to the Clancy properties. You play in some nonsensically named place which is supposed to be in Norway, and there's not even any bacon wrapped hot dogs in sight. You can shoot a snowman, though! In the frontend, item descriptions are brought over, but they manage to cock that up with a howler right in the description of the 10mm SMG (it's not 9mm, come on!). There's not even many weapons to deal with - in fact, there's not much of anything in this game. Kevin "Sweeny" (should be "Sweeney") is likewise wondering what he did to deserve this, as most of his lines are red herrings out of tune with the other briefings. So - how about the actual game? You first appear in the corner of what looks, under the draw limit, to be a rather quaint snowy town. You find an enemy, aim carefully, shoot him down - note that you can't hip fire the sniper rifle, whoops - and then you start to advance. And then you find a corner. Somebody yells in perfectly fluent English, Ding This Is A Fucking Tom Clancy Hero Chavez lets out a girly programmer scream, and your screen goes red. GAME OVER MOTHERFUCKA

What the fuck happened? Well, the game seems to pack an immense number of glaring flaws in.
- The enemies react very quickly. Not a bad thing in of itself, but:
- Even using a Dual Shock, this game insists on using the left analog stick to turn, and there's no relevant options in the stripped-down menus. The right analog stick looks about as you'd expect, but you have to use the strafe buttons.
- It seems you must click the fire button once per shot. Enemies take 3 MP5 shots to go down, and 2 M4 shots to go down - of course, you can shoot behind their head, and you'll kill them just as quickly. But it's still exceptionally demanding. In the meantime, enemies that have spotted you and are in the clear to fire will be landing multiple hits on you with highly accurate automatic fire.
- The autoaim function rarely functions - distance or darkness seem to guarantee it won't grab onto an enemy - meaning you have to try to aim. Realistically, you only have time to aim if an enemy is unaware of you (i.e., their head is sticking out above a box, or they're far away). The usual technique is to pop out, grab an enemy's attention, and wait for them to pass the corner.
- The aiming reticle takes forever and a day to settle down. I don't know whether it maps your actual accuracy or not, but it's obnoxious. Also, it doesn't even accurately describe where shots land - aim a bit left of where you want to shoot.
- Also, grenades thrown into a small room have a very good chance of not killing an enemy, even though the blast radius can reach all the way through solid walls and bounce your view many meters away.

All told, shooting at enemies from the open is rarely an option.

So, how about the missions? Well, there's five. This isn't the first very short Rainbow Six release - but it's possibly the first one of such a short length released as a full game. The missions are shorter than they should be, at that - the first two missions are really just one map with a few changes, split in a way that rather harms the storyline - you get lots of chat and a full load-out screen before the second mission, with nobody aware that you never really accomplished the goal of that first mission, oops! Rogue Spear played this much better with a "you can't change your loadout now" mission late in the game. That second mission, though: Having not actually met the guy you were supposed to, you have to enter his cabin again, and go into a specific room into it, just to trip some lasers and spawn enemies everywhere. Oh boy. The rest of the game seesawed between open spaces with dumb enemies for easy autoaim pickins' and tense corner battles (including a few areas where I unfortunately couldn't rely on the peek-and-lure trick).

Overall, a really shameful game in the middle of a pack of very forgettable games.

Let's all remember that Official PlayStation Magazine Australia once branded a huge slogan across one of their pages for the KillZone preview: "In a perfect world, all games would be made by Rebellion."
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hello I am John Romero and it is 1994, join me for magical Norse adventure with manly close combat in Quake coming soon!

NEVER FUCKN HAPPENED. :[ I was recalling those heady DOOM II (plus JAGUAR DOOM, pffft) days though - BDOOMv20 is getting dangerously close to creating DOOM engine melee combat I enjoy. :o Warning moderately BIGGUS GIFFUS
Spoiler
Winded by a BIG UAC BOOT, IMPU-SAN didn't register the flash of DOOMGUY's clean energy-powered abattoir accoutrement until it was far too late for now anyway.

Can I overpower my crushing ennui and check out BRUTAL HEXEN? I don't even know if that's a proper thing yet. I'd still love to see the author take a crack at imparting the brainbox-splitting broadsword carnage VHEXEN never managed with its cardboardy sprites.
ROUSING GOOGLE RESEARCH wrote:The Fighter's fists are replaced with Timon's Axe, and with the addition of a wooden shield. The wooden shield acts like the player's kick which bashes enemies such as the Ettin into a considerable distance. The player can also use the axe to make a two-axe combo. Unlike Hexen, Timon's Axe doesn't need mana to work.
Oh GAAAAAAWWWD that sounds like it might be good!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Revenge of thread! Lone Wolf style.

I guess I was wrong in stating that I played through Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield in a lone wolf fashion, because I don't remember having epic battle before. I probably just slapped on teh cheatz. Some of the maps simply are too involved to do this way. Gave it a good try though: I played the airport redux twilight map and the garage level in as traditional a single player terrorist hunting way as possible, without getting wounded (Ding Chavez's superior stealth and assault skills are important; a recon Rainbow member with a score of 80 in assault is noticeably slower to reacquire their aim):

Normal difficulty, no leaning, no sneaky door opening, no flashbangs (I only used one in the very first map of the game, and only sometimes), no smoke + thermal vision, only one teammate left at spawn to allow faster restarting (when I remembered), run as much as possible, use grenades only rarely. Generally I used a silenced AK-47, sometimes a L3A3 for longer distance maps (the shipyard, which was a good map), generally switched to medium or heavy armor in the early maps (a good idea if you don't want to fail repeatedly due to enemy encounters). For my late terrorist hunt style maps, I decided that the L85A1 gave the best overall balance of fire rate, accuracy, and quick aim stabilization. M4 wasn't quite as good (seems to be slower firing, especially), and other weapons have various issues.

To make things even more fun, I played the twilight airport map with an unsilenced CZ-61 (Skorpion, aka Goldeneye's Klobb) + extended mag (no silencer), the default light black suit (no armor, basically), and just one grenade (Ding can't get them far enough at most places they'd be useful, at the far end of the map, but there's still a good place to throw one). Halfway through I switched ammo types to hollow points. Why did I do this? I thought "I could do this." Yeah...I did, and there wasn't any doubt I could - but when there's a small probability of getting killed at any point, it's hard to get all the way to the end. Just one bad encounter is all it takes. As a result, I spent more time on that map than I probably have on any other single map of a game, ever. It took literally two days to beat it this way...many, many hours; probably 7 hours straight the first time (oof). I forgot to use the friendly character to get faster restarts (oof again).

My reaction to doing the game this way varied from "this is really cool" to "ugh bleh not *@)! again." I learned a hell of a lot about the game and its design choices, though.
- You're not supposed to run in this game. Aim stabilization often is good enough to land shots on quickly advancing past a corner and stopping, but your chances of getting killed by a fast enemy are somewhat reduced if you take it slow, which possibly could have saved me time overall. Annoying, but a sensible design decision.
- AI is dumb, very dumb, but that makes the rogue terrorist who heard you through a door behind you more dangerous. One thing that struck me as dated about the game is that enemies don't have a crouched turning animation, and don't run backwards, so it's common to have an enemy sprint away from you into cover, and then slowly pivot around. Easy kill.
- Friendly AI is bad too, so it's clear that you're not really supposed to rely on them either. Mainly you're supposed to use the tools a lot more than I did - particularly smoke grenades + thermal vision seem promising. You can always switch to another team member to throw another.
- PRO EXPLOIT: If you don't have a sniping weapon, you can dance left and right in front of a corner, and even with the CZ-61 I was able to pick off enemies as there is usually a sizable delay before each shot from snipers. I tried not to do this much, but the airport's many unavoidable long range encounters+ the CZ-61 made it necessary. Just wait long enough for the crosshair to settle (I'm not exactly sure how closely real accuracy tracks the crosshair graphic; a little bit of display lag throws this off). Enemies at closer range often have super quick reactions, though. Enemies also seemed prone to fire behind your current position if you ran across their field of view, though it's not reliable.
- After inhuman enemies, autoaim was the second bane of soft-soled Rainbows in my game. Given how damn quick enemies are on the trigger in this game, it's usually nice to have it, but given how the crosshair physically moves, you don't really have easy control over what it's selecting, or have it on the best enemy to target (at least I hope it doesn't try to select targets intelligently, because it did a bad job of this). It DOES try to aim at the head regardless of distance and the weapon used, which is bad in some cases. It'll only aim at the torso if that's obstructed. It won't aim for extremities. On the other hand, it's quite common to off two enemies in totally different parts of the screen, in full-auto firing. Overall, I didn't trust the autoaim much, and coupled with trigger discipline (only one or two shots at a time) I got killed quite a bit by enemies that were totally missed for no apparent reason, or who weren't killed outright. It's also a very good idea to pull out your pistol at the garage when trying to apprehend a certain character, because he pretends to hold an assault rifle and the autoaim will target him until he surrenders.
- Always check your corners, always, always always. So many deaths due to being impatient / sleepy (seven hours in that first airport session...) / distracted, but generally I did a good job of it.
- It's grand when you sprint around corners and take out enemies at long range at the map start, but unfortunately if you try that way you'll be restarting even more often.
- Grenades are mostly useless due to a really low blast radius and wary enemies. Once, inside a window at the top floor of the airport terminal building, I saw a guy below spot me and then proceed to throw a grenade off the wall in front of him, and then run into it. A few other enemies have obligingly executed their teammates for me this way.
- Airport map (total enemies - roughly 30) struck me as a bit better than garage (roughly 45 enemies) at first, since it had basically three parts - left, right, and the far end with snipers - but the garage has some decent area fights and the preliminary mopup isn't too tedious. It's a bit easy to start the garage map with a massive choke point kill zone at the far right entrance, which I tried not to do, and also easy to have a few guys go around searching for you.
- Lots of other minor quirks of the engine, the main one that bugged me was a rare issue where I could pour fire into a guy who stood and crouched making a gesture when he spotted me, seemingly invincible. Happened a few times and got killed because of it a few times.
- When I first started playing the game, enemies seemed a lot more predictable than Black Thorn's. However, the difference is mainly that Black Thorn's enemies randomly change their positioning in a room, but seem to always be present. In Raven Shield, enemies will either be at a different point along their patrol route than expected, or just randomly appear or don't at a place. There's quite a few reasonably smart enemy placements, though in truth enemies in these games are usually quite exposed and poorly placed from a defensive standpoint. The rather open nature of the levels, plus Raven Shield's random enemy appearances, made it very easy to try clearing out a section of map in any variety of ways, and I often changed my routes. It helped keep the interest up and it's also interesting to see how enemies react when you attack from one direction or even run a section backwards to how you had done it before.

I probably could do the bank map lone wolf, as I ran it through and figured out that there seems to be just one enemy that will destroy the documents. However, climbing up the bus to get a vantage point to shoot the alarm guy is obnoxious, and even knowing the "back way" into the vault I don't know how easy it would be to save those hostages.

There's a lone terrorist near the start of the mountain tunnel map who often tries to surrender. I felt bad because I was always helplessly watching myself gun him down as he tried. :lol:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

It would seem real-life wolves do hunt alone every now and then, which I used to be highly sceptical about. At least Wikipedia just told me so.
My reason for playing RSix3 with only one character was that I simply didn't feel like doing team-based tactics in first person shooters at the time. As a matter of fact, the first tactical shooter of the sort I learned to play properly is Republic Commando (dissed by me in its time for having none of architectural complexity I liked about Rainbow Six).
I should revisit SWAT4 as I liked its atmosphere very much and the game engine seemed very solid. Released about time when just nothing but FarCry seemed high-tech enough for the PC games mags reviewers (as if they wanted to make all readers guilty for feeling even console graphics sometimes did the job), it took UE2 to the spot I wish other vintage technologies reached. Something XIII*) - good a game as it was - didn't do for me (looked nice enough in places, but not Ōkami- or even JSR-good).

*) I read somewhere online it used the original UE, which was already "retro" by the computer gaming press standards.

Wasn't Call of Duty 2 a better-selling (than SWAT4) example of sticking to old guns whilst looking reasonably good? I mean, even said press wasn't making a big deal of the "dated" engine.
The way out is cut off

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Animals can do even crazier things when injured (see the "man-eater" felines from colonial Victorian times), and wolves don't always get a pack so it makes sense to me. Yeah, I was thinking of looking at the SWAT games too - that "other series" (which started with Police Quest - I've got the original PC release shrinkwrapped around here somewhere...) was on my mind, and I'm truly done with R6 for a while - at least until I take another hack at the bank mission. I remember playing the SWAT 4 demo back in the day, and being pretty enthused about the realistic settings, though not so much the gameplay.

I totally agree with your feeling about R6's tactical stuff - the team-based stuff just gets unwieldy and for whatever reason the micromanagement of iterating a waypoint design doesn't appeal to me, when I can take the lessons of the game directly instead. I also wanted to get the entire feeling - running through everything myself, instead of letting the AI have half the fun. I didn't try some of the advanced stuff which should make a completely AI-driven run more viable, but it just felt cumbersome to set up. Something as simple as switching weapons isn't given a "modern" interface design, just hotkeys per weapon, so I only switched to pistol or grenades when I felt I should (and even then, I second-guessed myself because it left me vulnerable). I also didn't really appreciate having my operatives going into vulnerable AI mode to take over another team or team member.

If you did want to try getting into the tactical aspect of a R6 game, the prebuilt missions of Black Thorn all seemed very nicely done, and a few make really good use of multiple teams, especially the bus one which has you running through a big map the whole time. For that one, you'll want to switch away from the snipers at the end and let the AI do its thing.

I've noticed you mention Republic Commando occasionally...I'll give it a shot sometime. I see it's got some of that Episode I type of stuff, but the original trilogy style of older FPSes gets kinda old. I'm not sure how I overlooked this given it's an FPS; maybe the market was too saturated.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

New post for something cool - indie shooter called Due Process which has some interesting stuff being written up on it:

http://dueprocess.info/dueprocess_doorbreaches.html (takes you to a blog entry)

Interesting that they would call out MoH: Warfighter for doing breaches right...partly. It's interesting to read something like this and reflect on what R6 is teaching us.

Unfortunately, as I found with the running reticle problems, and the wall edge sidestep exploit, R6 3's mechanics don't favor quick clears without a flash. (And the flashes are a bit cumbersome to use; enemies often can sprint right out the door and past you while you're still trying to get your gun up.)

I also see one of the devs mentioned Raven Shield 2.0 which might be an interesting remix of the game. Also, the guy mentions this. Really widely-read and wise information here; I'm really impressed.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hory cao. In the first alteration to level architecture I'm aware of from the mod, BDOOMv20 includes a small but welcome surprise at the end of The Shores Of Hell and Inferno. Both end stages are traditionally damp squibs, a little less so now. There's only so much you can do with OG DOOM bosses, but at least you get worthy targets for the several lorries' worth of munitions you reach Tower of Babel/Dis with. Aesthetically I really dig the monstrously bigger sense of scale in both arenas.

Part of BD's appeal for me has been its not altering the base game too much, and the map designs not at all, but this was a well-judged exception.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I resist the temptation to call Republic Commando "Halo: Combat Evolved without Ewoks", because those two don't really play a lot alike. Both took ~10 years to grow on me, though, so there is a certain kinship between them.

I actually have Black Thorn (full version) on a computer games mag cover disk, but the original Ghost Recon is more likely to be next I play after RC.

(I think RC and SWAT4 sold about equally poorly despite favourable critical response.)

I know I'm repeating myself, but DON'T quicksave-quickload through RC. The checkpointing makes plenty of sense.

P.S. Whoa, HUGE news: Tim Longo of Republic Commando would-be fame is working on Halo 5 and some "squad system" is to be in the latter. Now, I wouldn't mind a tad fancier enemy A.I. in RC, but I doubt both styles can be easily married without any compromise. What if the squad A.I. worked so well at the price of enemy A.I. being uninspired?
Don't get me wrong; any substantial development of ideas introduced in RC is welcome, and "more of the same" would be too little, too late.
I just wish it wasn't a console exclusive. If this isn't counter-progressive for an FPS, what happened to TimeSplitters again? Where does its legacy live? Is it all up to possible modders?
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

ROBERT SOUL wrote:In the first alteration to level architecture I'm aware of from the mod, BDOOMv20 includes a small but welcome surprise at the end of The Shores Of Hell and Inferno. Both end stages are traditionally damp squibs, a little less so now. There's only so much you can do with OG DOOM bosses, but at least you get worthy targets for the several lorries' worth of munitions you reach Tower of Babel/Dis with.
Oh lmao. NEBER MIND. Soopa Spidey Mastermind's brand new run-underable chassis has an unfortunate exploit. He's supposed to be able to trample loiterers, but it never happens to me... seems he can't do shit. More pressingly, as soon as the level starts just run under him, aim the BFG straight up and let rip. He'll eat the whole fucking shot and die in seconds. OH WELLZ. Also any enemies in the area will be futilely trying to hit you and beating the shit outta spidey in the process. :lol:

Or use the chainsaw! Hell's ultimate biomechanical monstrosity, undone by your friendly Home Depot.
Spoiler
Haha. Good effort regardless! The modder has never been shy about revising/junking stuff... back to the drawing board, chumley. ^_~

I notice the Berserk hook's overly dominating Baron cup shot is gone now. You can still interrupt them, but there's no EZ repeatable stun. Good move, much more satisfying duelling. The superb glancing blow/direct hit dynamic and the Sickening Crunch™ of the latter most definitely remain. Last session I clocked one of those cocksuckers so fucking dead-on, I swear I heard teeth rattling around in my speakers as his corpse hit the floor. ¦3
system11

Post by system11 »

I spent some time with the CoD BO3 beta this weekend on PS4.

Treyarch have come up with the goods, there's boosting and wall running but it doesn't feel overdone or clunky like it did in AW, the controls are smooth like butter, the graphics are fantastic - well defined, sharp, colourful and a barely flinching 60fps frame rate. The maps have thrown out the tedious symmetry of some recent versions, they're fairly small with multiple ways of traversal.

I'll be picking this one up in November - interesting how they ran a smooth beta for a whole weekend of an incredibly popular game while Capcom couldn't even make their beta work at all for most people.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org