the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Post by BIL »

My beautiful HEXEN II is ruined! :shock:

Spoiler
What a slight on Mrs. Dolly Parton Image
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Who else thinks the new Deus Ex dude looks like some human dildo (not literally, but I can't find an English word better expressing my sort of embarrassment here)? I accept that hairdos and beards fashionable today are meant to annoy older generations (such as mine), but I haven't felt this perplexed by a playable character design since the dawn of Mighty No. 9 hype.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5/

Even if it still had PGI name plastered on it I'm still hyped that they're pulling the "classic" MW/MW2Mercs-style campaign that offers you much more dynamic world and freedom.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Sounds promising. The new X-Com did a good job with randomised stages and the odd fixed campaign one.

Hopefully the customisation ia between MW2/3 and 4. I get what they mean with all mechs are the same if you can put any weapons onto them, but MW4's strict energy/missile/projectile system was too restrictive. Likewise work out a reason to put anything on arms, seeing as they're the first thing to go.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So okay I've finally decided to give PSX DOOM TC a try ... and it didn't exactly feel as right as 'advertised'.

- the dynamic lighting effects don't seem to work whatever I do
- the echoing sounds are much less present/obvious
- some sound effects missing (cant remember which ones but from doomguy's voice: some are missing/sound different)
- several maps names are unkown to me, neither seen on PC nor PSX (is this the mod or affected by the language settings? not sure)
- setting up a gamepad wasn't too hard but having it behave more or less like the real thing was a pain
- the walk/run difference is almost impossible to reproduce afaik (?)
- I don't remember the original to have autoreload by default (?)
- couldn't set up the HUD size to be like the PSX's, maybe it's doable in 4:3 but it wouldn't work the same in 16:9
- a smoothing filter only for the weapons sprites would have been be nice, because it's everything or nothing, which doesn't feel really right compared to what it looks like in 240p
- I've inserted the 'lost levels' but since the names are sometimes different from what I know I'm not even sure the order is right
- persistent ammo impacts are there though not present on PSX
- etc

There are other things, I've tried some 'fixes' through the customizer.exe but not sure all of them work or what some do exactly.
Only obvious and welcome improvement was the framerate of course.

Years ago I remember playing using the Doomsday port featuring several 'PSX effects' to reproduce the feel of it, and well, that worked better IMHO, although it didn't feature the maps modifications to match the PSX's it simply brought the good stuff of it to the PC, it felt like a better formula IMHO.

Waste of time. :p
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I'm stuck in half life. I'm on my phone, so check the non shmup game playing right now thread for info. Don't tell me how to get past it, though.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh lmao :o Brutal DOOM v20b has been out for a year, and I only just realised that when a Baron hoists a barrel to throw, it can be sniped to instakill 'em. All that blast damage will land square on poor old Barry's brainbox. Kaboom! If you miss, it's you that may die, as Barry is one caber tossing motherfucker. Either way, someone's gettin' fucked up. Image

Warehouse Safety 4 All:
Spoiler
Tragic Warehouse Mishap:
Spoiler
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

So, as it turns out, the thing I was "stumped" on in HL1 was a fucking glitch. It only took 2 fucking days to figure out.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

atheistgod1999 wrote:I'm stuck in half life. I'm on my phone, so check the non shmup game playing right now thread for info. Don't tell me how to get past it, though.
lmfao
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Quite interesting when you consider DOOM was originally meant to be an Aliens game. I'll check this one out!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I finally played through the first Resistance game on the PS3. It was great, but a little too long for my tastes. How long is the campaign in Resistance 2?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

in february i reinstalled Doom and Quake 1 for the first time in ten+ years. it is insane what those communities have done with those games in the past ten years. truly mindblowing stuff that even John Carmack would've never envisioned his games looking like or doing. for Doom there's a first person Silent Hill type survival horror game (Total Chaos), first person Castlevania total conversion (Castlevania Simon's Destiny), a Sonic the hedgehog third person action adventure platformer (Sonic Robo Blast 2), two Metroid Prime (Spram's Metroid and Metroid Dreadnought) a Mario-type (Golden Souls 2), a Wario-type game (TreasureTech), a Norse viking RPG (REKKR), Hocus Pocus (apogee 90'S PC platformer converted into a first person shooter), Jazz Jackrabbit FPS, Mega Man FPS (8 bit deathmatch), a fully fledged Kingdom Hearts style JRPG called Memoirs Of Magic, a traditional Western medieval RPG called The Inquisitor III (with 60+ hours of quests, items to collect, and content), etc. it's unbelievable. and the community maps.... WHAT. look at the map BRIGANDINE, or ANCIENT ALIENS wad or Back To Saturn X. there's also a fun but controversial invasion mod called Doom Slayer Chronicles. there's a website called doomworld that has yearly awards and lists 10-20 of the best levels and mods of that year, other than that the site is worthless.
unbelievable amount of free content and seriously high quality levels that put modern gaming design into a nearly 30 year old engine. it's not the Doom you remember anymore, and i'm not talking about lame mods like "Brutal Doom".

and Quake? man. same deal, minus the total conversions. there's a Doom 4 total conversion called Slayer's Testaments but not many others, where Quake 1 shines these days is solely in its maps which you can find at quaddicted.com (not hotlinking that). gone are the tiny cramped brown and green medieval castle sewers. now it looks more like Doom 2016 with mappacks like Rubicon Rumble Pack and Arcane Dimensions, or (linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgA5T3uHoE ) Ter Shibboleth.

this one guy Simon_OC makes really impressive highly detailed maps that make professional game levels look like Doom 1993, and he's just one of a few dozen.

if you ever liked Doom and Quake when you were a kid, check out what's going on now. you won't regret it. quality deserves to be shared.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Just finished Metro Exodus... Good game, I think I like eurojank, but never having played the series I thought it would be more of a straight fps, but in reality the game pushes you more to a stealth approach. Still good though.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Currently waiting for my GPU to return from being RMA'd.

This wait is killing me. I was just starting to really practice TitanFall 2 and I was getting GOOD at that game. All this new Borderlands content I'm missing out on. I want to play HyperScape and run back through Doom Eternal for like the 6th time. @-@
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Recently played through Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light Redux on PS4. Both really excellent games. It seems the devs really empowered the art department. Who knew post apocalyptic Moscow would be so beautiful? Also interesting how the survival elements come into play (conserving ammo and so on). It took a bit to getting used to but was hooked once I got in the groove.

Now I'm wanting to build a PC when the new GPUs are released in the fall to play Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk (and low-spec games like Dusk :oops: ). What the fuck is happening to me...
Marc

Post by Marc »

I tried and failed to get into the first two Metro games. Great atmosphere, but unwieldy gameplay IMO.
Been playing some Doom 2, some great maps, but some that are too finicky and complicated for their own good.
Still got Doom 64 and 3 waiting to be started. Finished 64 back in the day but remember very little of it, by that point it would have just been 'more Doom' to me than a game in it's own right.

Keep meaning to pick up Ion Fury as well, anyone offer any impressions?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, Metro is just modern FPS ass. Hide-n-heal, long, drawn out and meaningless exposition, checkpoints, blah blah. Just an absolute boring experience.

Ion Fury is great. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of talk about it here (or I think maybe there was another thread for 'classic' FPS). If you like Doom, Duke, Blood, etc. I think you'd be crazy not to like it.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Finished Doom 2016, normal difficulty.

Man that was a blast, thoroughly enjoyed it.. even if i felt fatigued at times.
I don't know what you dumb dumbs are on about with the hate.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Anyone that like their older FPS's that hasn't played Project Warlock really should. It's ace.
It's got the weapons right, the maps are pretty interesting, and I'm having a blast with it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

I've still been playing Classic Doom these days, mainly with mods like Project Brutality, Death Foretold, etc.
Here's my Sigil playthough (Sorry if the quality isn't da best; I needed to improve how to use Sony Vegas):

https://youtu.be/wO0IWysS4nA
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Man...

Why is Turok 1 so GOOD? I've played some wild ass FPS's lately. I feel like recently the genre has been better and more varied than it ever has been from 2015 to now.
But Turok 1 is like mom's cooking for me.
Blinge wrote:Finished Doom 2016, normal difficulty.

Man that was a blast, thoroughly enjoyed it.. even if i felt fatigued at times.
I don't know what you dumb dumbs are on about with the hate.
I like Eternal a lot more for it's nutty ass combat and difficulty but 2016 was godlike. I feel like it's a great familiar FPS.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Dawn111 wrote:I've still been playing Classic Doom these days, mainly with mods like Project Brutality, Death Foretold, etc.
Here's my Sigil playthough (Sorry if the quality isn't da best; I needed to improve how to use Sony Vegas):

https://youtu.be/wO0IWysS4nA
Quick tip in Vegas - Right click your video clips, select "Properties". Select "Disable Resampling".

I noticed the footage is a little blurry in motion. That's caused by the resampling that's applied by default on all video clips. The video will look much more crisp and solid when that feature is disabled. This is assuming you are on "Pro". I don't remember if Movie Studio had that option.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

versionfiv wrote:and Quake? man. same deal, minus the total conversions. there's a Doom 4 total conversion called Slayer's Testaments but not many others, where Quake 1 shines these days is solely in its maps which you can find at quaddicted.com (not hotlinking that). gone are the tiny cramped brown and green medieval castle sewers. now it looks more like Doom 2016 with mappacks like Rubicon Rumble Pack and Arcane Dimensions, or (linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgA5T3uHoE ) Ter Shibboleth.

this one guy Simon_OC makes really impressive highly detailed maps that make professional game levels look like Doom 1993, and he's just one of a few dozen.

if you ever liked Doom and Quake when you were a kid, check out what's going on now. you won't regret it. quality deserves to be shared.
Slayer's Testament is so amazing! It feels like playing Doom 2016 without having me to purchase an expensive, modern gaming laptop.
Bloodshot has done an amazing job recreating it within the Quake engine. I have my Slayer's Testament playthough on my YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LxJFuU ... zdEui0lqLA
(version is outdated though, because no glory kill animations)
Austin wrote:Quick tip in Vegas - Right click your video clips, select "Properties". Select "Disable Resampling".

I noticed the footage is a little blurry in motion. That's caused by the resampling that's applied by default on all video clips. The video will look much more crisp and solid when that feature is disabled. This is assuming you are on "Pro". I don't remember if Movie Studio had that option.
I have already learned that way after I uploaded my Sigil playthrough, and it was last year. Also, I
shouldn't use the Xvid codec when compressing the videos because it makes the video look worse.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I decided to see what the Pistol start fuss was about in OG Doom.
I've beaten the first 3 episodes, and first two levels this way on Ultra Violence.

I get it, most of Eps 1-3 were really fun having to run around scrounging for weapons

E4M2 Perfect Hatred was like pulling teeth. jesus fuck. I had to save scum my way through it. I spent a long time in that dingy little grotto, chainsawing anything that wasnt a Baron.

edit: oh yea, Spider Mastermind pistol start was.. an experience.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Any opinion on the Borderlands games ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Doom 3 is like $3 right now on Switch for the Black Friday sale.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I'd love for someone to be able to tell me whether or not Romero uses the arrow keys to strafe in Doom. Finding out is surprisingly difficult considering how many people on the Internet don't seem to realize it even had mouse support in 1993. Sure, it wasn't common, but it was definitely there.

Romero clearly using the arrow keys for something as he "owns" a Doom deathmatch in 2014
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Austin

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote:I decided to see what the Pistol start fuss was about in OG Doom.
I've beaten the first 3 episodes, and first two levels this way on Ultra Violence.

I get it, most of Eps 1-3 were really fun having to run around scrounging for weapons

E4M2 Perfect Hatred was like pulling teeth. jesus fuck. I had to save scum my way through it. I spent a long time in that dingy little grotto, chainsawing anything that wasnt a Baron.

edit: oh yea, Spider Mastermind pistol start was.. an experience.
Pistol starting can be interesting on a few maps, like Perfect Hatred, but overall it's not too bad.

Playing Nightmare on the other hand as a challenge, you'll really have to rethink things. I definitely recommend it as a way to really mix things up.