Cannon Dancer makes me cry

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Strider77 wrote:I'd really recommend the PS2 texure smoothing also... I'd really like to see this on bleamcast.
According to this compatibility list of the leaked beta, Strider 2 works with minor glitches, but the original Strider crashes while loading.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I never noticed this on mine, but i have the NTSC-J versions running on NTSC-J PS2...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Strider77 wrote:I really liked the music for strider 1..... I have the pc engine vers mostly for the remixed versions on it.
I've just beaten that one under emulation. From what I had read, I already knew the backgrounds had lost the parallax, fine. But the game itself is different, in a bad way! The physics are a bit different, the levels are a bit different, collision detection is a bit different, and the arranged music is far from the intensity of the Genesis version.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I thought the game sucked but there were some verions on the tracks I really enjoyed.... namely the 1st song in stage one and the song that plays in the ice stage when u are working your way up those platforms to get up to the air ship....

The megadrive one is better, the psx version is better than that tho :?
I still play the megadrive version also... alot of nostalgia attached to that game for me.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

oxtsu wrote:
llaoyllakcuf wrote:
oxtsu wrote:About the Cannon Dancer DVD; it's from a doujin label, but IIRC it's officially licensed. I lent mine out, so I can't check it right now though.
do you know what was the final score on that replay? I'm wondering if its in the 6mil range or even the WR.
I'll check for you when I get it back. I remember it's a one life clear, pretty sure it's WR (I don't think they would put it out if it wasn't).
OK...got it back. The scores are not quite world record but damn close:

NORMAL - 6,214,800
V.HARD - 6,161,260

Player's name is M.K

The current WR is around 6.3mil, IIRC.

There are two other sections of the DVD: an Omake, showing clips of various techniques, with player explanations in sub-title. And a Digest, showing the boss fights and cutscenes only through a normal run.

Also, this DVD is definitely from doujin, not licensed. It is still a high quality capture and menu though. :)
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

I'm totally blown away by this game! Unfortunately, I don't own the PCB but firing it up in Mame for the very first time felt like discovering a hidden treasure. I can't believe that such a great game is still practically unknown.
Btw, I found a pretty interesting site about the game explaining the mechanics and levels:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/raddspenc ... index.html

Haven't seen it posted here so I thought somebody might be interested :D
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I can't believe that such a great game is still practically unknown.
tell me about it.... my lost strider sequal
99pence

Post by 99pence »

I one credited this game a couple of times ages ago.

I played it today and can't even one credit off the first level.

This game is just crazy crazy good.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

thank you for the info, oxtsu. not exactly the current record, but an impressive score regardless.

wow this DVD sounds pretty cool. I might have to track down a copy now...
undamned

Post by undamned »

oxtsu wrote:...other sections of the DVD: an Omake, showing clips of various techniques, with player explanations in sub-title. ...It is still a high quality capture and menu though. :)
Does it show a no hit technique for the the 2nd or 3rd Gamran (tall robo-thingy), the one that fires stuff straight AND down at an angle depending on where you are? I've yet to beat that punk-face without bombing or getting tore up from the floor up (;)).
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
zinger

Post by zinger »

undamned wrote:
oxtsu wrote:...other sections of the DVD: an Omake, showing clips of various techniques, with player explanations in sub-title. ...It is still a high quality capture and menu though. :)
Does it show a no hit technique for the the 2nd or 3rd Gamran (tall robo-thingy), the one that fires stuff straight AND down at an angle depending on where you are? I've yet to beat that punk-face without bombing or getting tore up from the floor up (;)).
-ud
That boss isn't really hard at all. Be sure to destroy of his parts in the lower region first and take your time, you'll see he's pretty harmless. I'm having some trouble with FAKE at the moment, got any pointers?
SOUNDSHOCK
undamned

Post by undamned »

zinger wrote:...I'm having some trouble with FAKE at the moment, got any pointers?
I'm no good @ fighting the man, but venom said that he would usually "cheap" him by continually throwing him into the mirror. At this point, I'm not consistant enough w/ my throws :? Hope you can use that!
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
99pence

Post by 99pence »

You talking about the robot from the first and last level that shoots fire?

The mirror guy I think I used to slide throw him.

What about the fire boss, sometimes its ok when he's to the side but most of the time he goes right above you and you can't avoid the flames he shoots.

Also I can't beat the boss where you're chaiined to the rock without bombing.

Any pointers for those?
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
zinger

Post by zinger »

99pence wrote:What about the fire boss, sometimes its ok when he's to the side but most of the time he goes right above you and you can't avoid the flames he shoots.
I usually try to stay far away from this guy, leaving some mirrors to attack him. Once you get it, he's harmless.
99pence wrote:Also I can't beat the boss where you're chaiined to the rock without bombing.
I don't know, never had any trouble with this one, I sometimes miss on this one, but there are FOUR life powerups on this stage to make up for that! Just jump at him and tap like crazy!

EDIT: much easier to do when you've learned how to no miss Herios, since you will have full kick power when you reach Sandora.

I just did a no miss no bomb run up until the tower/city in stage five, where I always seem to lose a life and one or two bombs. Tricky. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I never played cannon dancer heh anyway strider 2 is good though it's diffculty kick my ass at dullahan(Before second end-stage boss heh), it's really a button mashing game for me man my finger are always hurting after
fightning dullahan with very fast speed :D
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

does anyone know if there is an xbox emulator that will run this game ?
99pence

Post by 99pence »

zinger wrote:
99pence wrote:What about the fire boss, sometimes its ok when he's to the side but most of the time he goes right above you and you can't avoid the flames he shoots.
I usually try to stay far away from this guy, leaving some mirrors to attack him. Once you get it, he's harmless.
99pence wrote:Also I can't beat the boss where you're chaiined to the rock without bombing.
I don't know, never had any trouble with this one, I sometimes miss on this one, but there are FOUR life powerups on this stage to make up for that! Just jump at him and tap like crazy!

EDIT: much easier to do when you've learned how to no miss Herios, since you will have full kick power when you reach Sandora.

I just did a no miss no bomb run up until the tower/city in stage five, where I always seem to lose a life and one or two bombs. Tricky. :?

Thanks. I should really learn the bosses names so I know what people are talking about.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

@oxtsu
I really love this game but DAMN is it kicking my ass! I can do a nice run until stage 3...that's where the trouble starts. It would definitely help to watch a run in slomo. Would it be possible to share a rip of it or the whole thing over torrent somehow? I mean, since it's not licensed and probably also not on sale anymore sharing this gem really shouldn't hurt anybody...I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested :wink:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

zinger wrote:
undamned wrote:
-ud
That boss isn't really hard at all. Be sure to destroy of his parts in the lower region first and take your time, you'll see he's pretty harmless.
Yes, actually that and the room right before him with the gun turrets and rotating light sabers (stage 6) comprises the whole of the Omake section on the DVD. He stays on the ground the entire time for that boss. Just moving from about a character length behind the pillar in the background and towards the rear; sliding back when the boss dashes and using his shadow to pummel.
Necronom wrote:@oxtsu
I really love this game but DAMN is it kicking my ass! I can do a nice run until stage 3...that's where the trouble starts. It would definitely help to watch a run in slomo. Would it be possible to share a rip of it or the whole thing over torrent somehow? I mean, since it's not licensed and probably also not on sale anymore sharing this gem really shouldn't hurt anybody...I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested
I don't have the set-up to do that, sorry. I wouldn't be averse to the idea though.
Venom

Post by Venom »

Great to see such interest in Cannon Dancer again :D

I haven't kept up on things and had no idea it had been emulated, should let many more people check it out and have some fun playing it. Been a long time, but I still remember a bit.

@Undamned - with FAKE, I'm pretty sure that I figured out the area he would land in after a throw, and wait outside his range crouched. Then use slide and go for throws. It seemed to work well. As for the robot thing in stage 6, that's pretty much the reason I couldn't 1 life the game, I never developed a great strat for it.

Funny thing, on the section before that, there is a glitch where you can end up outside the screen, above it actually. It will scroll left and right when you move, but you can't return to the playing field. Think it happened when I was killing the enemies through jumping partially through the bottom of the platform they are on to avoid their shots. Anyway, I did it a couple times accidentally and it ended my play...

Have fun 8)
Fascination...
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

"I don't have the set-up to do that, sorry. I wouldn't be averse to the idea though."

Oxtsu, would it be possible to upload it to an ftp server? Not that I have one but I could ask around. From there I could take it and create a torrent on demonoid or something. I would seed it well until everybody got a complete one...just my suggestion.
Btw, is there anybody else interested in it? Or maybe somebody knows a better solution?
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Yep, im interested in seeing the replay. it could be uploaded to www.filefactory.com , not too sure on how to rip a dvd though..
zinger

Post by zinger »

Here's a MAME replay, not fantastic, but it's a 1CC with some good strategies (including Euro-gam no bomb): http://www.mog-rep.net/
SOUNDSHOCK
zinger

Post by zinger »

I just beat this game! Managed to no-miss all the way to, and half-way through Fake. Nuked my way through the rest of the game. ;)
SOUNDSHOCK
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

@zinger
Nice one, congratulations! Btw, thanks for the link to the Mame replay but where exactly on the site is it? I searched it for a while and just couldn't find it...anyway llaoyllakcuf also posted a link, maybe I can record that with FRAPS so I can watch just the relevant scenes in slowmotion.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Does anyone know where to find MAME32 Plus!0.99? The replay file is worthless without the corresponding Mame version...
zinger

Post by zinger »

Necronom wrote:Does anyone know where to find MAME32 Plus!0.99? The replay file is worthless without the corresponding Mame version...
I can upload the emulator + replay file on friday.
SOUNDSHOCK
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

@zinger
Would be cool, thank you!
zinger

Post by zinger »

http://midnightsleazy.se/mame99cannondancer.rar
I copied all files in MAME's parent directory, so I guess it should work. The replay inp is included, but you'll need the Cannon Dancer rom.
SOUNDSHOCK
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Got it. Thanks, zinger.