Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Bassa-Bassa

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote: So then again, does the DC version have the extra content from the NG version (did this one get improved visuals over the MD version, actually)? And are really N64 and Game Cube versions being made!? (What for?)
I'm not aware of any new stages, but the DC version does have some extra stuff like voices during cutscenes and a remixed soundtrack (pretty sure this is exclusive to DC, though the unofficial MD+ hack uses its soundtrack). Visuals are mostly based off the MD version, but there may be some extra animations here and there. Could you give more specifics on which extra content you mean? MD version already has boss rush and infinite mode, but only via cheat code, and I wasn't aware of extra stages or modes in the NeoGeo version. N64 and GCN versions are already listed for order on bitmap bureau's website, though the NeoGeo version of Final Vendetta still isn't listed.
Sumez wrote:DC version is clearly based on the MD/NG builds, and not the modern console/PC build. (a big tell is how much tougher the first boss is)
Neo Geo version has the voice-overs from the latter, and seems DC has too. The Neo Geo version also has some more graphical details here and there, which seem to be missing on DC(?), but it's nothing major. And like I said there is oddly one new enemy type present on the final stage on NG which doesn't make a major difference. Can't find any footage of the DC version showing if it's there as well.
Thanks!

It was the extra enemy and graphics on the NG version what I was most curious about.

They indeed have a N64 and a Game Cube version for preorder, and in cartridge and GC disc formats! The resources these people must have impress me, but it's a shame they don't use them in new projects, isn't it. I can't think of anybody interested in a game like this owning a N64 or a GC and not having a MD or a DC as well.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The extra enemy is just a green palette swap of the orange shield dudes that appears quite rarely on the final stage, IIRC using bombs or flamethrower attacks instead. It's such a weird addition IMO.

The NG version also has a unique set of hostage names - I'm suspecting it's unique to that version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

IIRC, there may also be a new hostage type in the NeoGeo version, from what I have seen in videos. Kind of neat, but nothing earth shattering.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, the scientist guy I think. it's one of the minor graphical changes. Honestly I'd have loved to see them do a bit more with that port.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

According to the Kickstarter page, GBA and PS1 versions of Xenocrisis are in the works, though they ran into a snag with disc duplication for the PS1 version.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Was there... A reason to make gba and ps1 versions? I'm just curious why. Is this collector bait?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sima Tuna wrote:Was there... A reason to make gba and ps1 versions? I'm just curious why. Is this collector bait?
I have no idea. The website (but not the blog) is a bit outdated. I almost thought the shop was the same way until the N64 and GCN versions appeared in it. I almost thought it was an April fools joke because of the date on the Kickstarter page.

edit: Didn't realize there were arrows on the Bitmap Bureau's home page that show more games. It's still missing Final Vendetta and Battle Axe, though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I thought the N64 port at least was a joke, I have no idea why they are doing this. Maybe to challenge themselves to learn about more classic console hardware, and just using what they already have available?
BrianC wrote: edit: Didn't realize there were arrows on the Bitmap Bureau's home page that show more games. It's still missing Final Vendetta and Battle Axe, though.
It's really damn weird how they are doing nothing to promote games they spent time making. Feels like they aren't actually proud of them? But I guess maybe their website just isn't really something they actively think about.

(honestly, Battle Axe really isn't worth bothering with beyond gushing at the artwork)
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Sumez wrote:It's really damn weird how they are doing nothing to promote games they spent time making. Feels like they aren't actually proud of them? But I guess maybe their website just isn't really something they actively think about.

(honestly, Battle Axe really isn't worth bothering with beyond gushing at the artwork)
They should absolutely be proud of Final Vendetta, that game is fantastic.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Sumez wrote:I thought the N64 port at least was a joke, I have no idea why they are doing this. Maybe to challenge themselves to learn about more classic console hardware, and just using what they already have available?
Bassa-Bassa wrote:They indeed have a N64 and a Game Cube version for preorder, and in cartridge and GC disc formats! The resources these people must have impress me, but it's a shame they don't use them in new projects, isn't it. I can't think of anybody interested in a game like this owning a N64 or a GC and not having a MD or a DC as well.
I don't know, I think some misunderstand the amount of kids that grew up with those Nintendo systems, particularly Stateside, that also likely skipped the Sega stuff (or were too young at the time to even know what a MD was). I think there's room for this game on those platforms.

For me personally, fast arcade/action games like these are rare on both of those systems and so I am glad they created these versions. I do fire up the N64 for some sessions once every few months, but whenever I'm bouncing around its library on my flash cart, I always lament the fact that there weren't more arcade style games on it. Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, Sin & Punishment.. some puzzle games? And not much else of quality, so I think Xeno Crisis will help fill that void a little bit. I'll be picking up the ROM of it from their website sometime soon (which is something else I am glad they are doing, as other homebrew outlets want you to buy the physical media at full price).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: It's really damn weird how they are doing nothing to promote games they spent time making. Feels like they aren't actually proud of them? But I guess maybe their website just isn't really something they actively think about.
To be fair, the blog and FB page promote their other games, especially Final Vendetta. The one non-Xenocrisis item in the shop is the Final Vendetta vinyl soundtrack.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Austin wrote:And not much else of quality
That's what validates my point. The release would have make some sense during the console's lifespan, but today, everybody interested in quality 2d games isn't keeping a N64 around for them and sure has got better systems in the case they didn't at their moment.

The only reason in my opinion which could barely justify Xenocrisis on N64 is its unique control pad, which may easily be the only one with the front buttons close enough each other to do diagonal shooting with some confidence (with the Assault-like control method), but the system's video output is too flawed to really care, I'm afraid.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:That's what validates my point. The release would have make some sense during the console's lifespan, but today, everybody interested in quality 2d games isn't keeping a N64 around for them and sure has got better systems in the case they didn't at their moment.
Perhaps here, among this tiny crew of jaded old men, but elsewhere I think you underestimate the amount of N64 fans out there that would love to have this sort of game on the platform. Obviously Bitmap Bureau thought there was a viable enough market to tap.

And having more quality 2D games on it is part of the point. The more, the merrier.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:The only reason in my opinion which could barely justify Xenocrisis on N64 is its unique control pad, which may easily be the only one with the front buttons close enough each other to do diagonal shooting with some confidence, but the system's video output is too flawed to really care, I'm afraid.
Yes, the c-buttons will work well for this, as is the case with Robotron 64 on the console.

Regarding its video output, the quality is dependent on a lot of factors. Cables, obviously, along with display type. Also, how sharp or soft a game is also depends on the game itself. MRC is a blur-fest, while Puyo Puyo Sun is nice and crisp (oh, and a 2D game at that, who would have thought).

Xeno Crisis is likely fine on the console.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Austin wrote:And having more quality 2D games on it is part of the point. The more, the merrier.
My merriest self prefers to be a fan of videogames than a fan of consoles as such. And having more ports of quality games on N64 or whatever console implies having less quality original games in general, as the resources are always limited.

Regarding its video output, the quality is dependent on a lot of factors. Cables, obviously, along with display type. Also, how sharp or soft a game is also depends on the game itself. MRC is a blur-fest, while Puyo Puyo Sun is nice and crisp (oh, and a 2D game at that, who would have thought).
Sun or whichever, they'll always get the horizontal resolution spoiled and, unless you have an expensive mod on it, they'll be unable to use RGB output. It should be deal breaker at this point for anyone, no matter if using a CRT or a modern panel.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Austin wrote:And having more quality 2D games on it is part of the point. The more, the merrier.
My merriest self prefers to be a fan of videogames than a fan of consoles as such. And having more ports of quality games on N64 or whatever console implies having less quality original games in general, as the resources are always limited.
Sun or whichever, they'll always get the horizontal resolution spoiled and, unless you have an expensive mod on it, they'll be unable to use RGB output. It should be deal breaker at this point for anyone, no matter if using a CRT or a modern panel.
Agreed on both points.

I owned Puyo Puyo Sun back when I had an N64, as well as Bangaioh. Neither one were anywhere near "nice and crisp"; they were a crappy blurry mess just like everything else on the system. The N64 has to be one of the shittiest consoles ever. It's the only console I ever sold, years ago, and I certainly do not miss it.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The programmer guy might not be their bottleneck. I've been thinking... a lot.... about how much I hate doing animations. Whipping up a retro sprite? Easy. Fast. Fun. Slightly altering it to make it look like it's doing stuff? Even a few very simple Atari-level keyframes? Repetitive. A chore. Mowing grass.

This guy's kaiju art is fantastic. But it's like months to not even finish two characters. Always brings me back to a Hellgate London art guy commenting "Sometimes I wish the graphics weren't as good, so we could add more stuff."

That's always been a triple_A.txt quote, right there.

It's their hours of life to spend, and releasing it on a ton of consoles seems to be getting them some coverage. Here we are talking about it, after all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Huntdown. Sonny Rooster. I can't recall ever throwing a multi-phase boss fight because I was laughing too damn hard to hit the buttons. Jesus. :lol: ("Surviving that heat is most unlikely!" Image)

And then a staggeringly cool Road Warrior showdown at the next boss. Also, if Heatseekers were a welcome (though no less floridly insane) break from the grime of the undercity, #1 Suspects are legit cool. From Blade Runner x Rocketeer, to something approximating the ghoulish day-glo of Scarface via Kill Bill. Via Breakin'. >_> :cool:

A nice joint?! :shock: Albeit B-Boy KENICHIS will take your damn head off, and Bruce Leroy got that iron shirt durability. Image
Spoiler

Yo backup ain't comin and even if they did I'd see em a mile off so *PLBTHHH* *EAT PUSSY SIGN + 2X MIDDLEFINGERS* Image

Hagane techno-feudal vibes. Fine-brush detail exuded on all levels. Image Image
Spoiler

Got a trophy "Eternal Patience," and jokingly wondered if it was for insisting on doing Ringo RoadRage's unprecedently lengthy stage in one shot. I'm savouring this, naw mean. Image But nah, it's for... watching all of WolfMother's briefings without skipping. :shock:

Lessons will be taught. Image
Spoiler
[Image

Lessons in death. Image

Man you couldn't pay me to skip those. Glorious returns to The Chaos Engine et al. Highlights this game's winning feature; the joyful irreverence and 2000AD-rich detail of 90s PC action/adventure, with 110% Japanese hardcore ala EAR under the hood. Sumptuous work. Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:Huntdown. Sonny Rooster. I can't recall ever throwing a multi-phase boss fight because I was laughing too damn hard to hit the buttons. Jesus. :lol: ("Surviving that heat is most unlikely!" Image)

And then a staggeringly cool Road Warrior showdown at the next boss. Also, if Heatseekers were a welcome (though no less floridly insane) break from the grime of the undercity, #1 Suspects are legit cool. From Blade Runner x Rocketeer, to something approximating the ghoulish day-glo of Scarface via Kill Bill. Via Breakin'. >_> :cool:

A nice joint?! :shock: Albeit B-Boy KENICHIS will take your damn head off, and Bruce Leroy got that iron shirt durability. Image
Spoiler

Yo backup ain't comin and even if they did I'd see em a mile off so *PLBTHHH* *EAT PUSSY SIGN + 2X MIDDLEFINGERS* Image

Hagane techno-feudal vibes. Fine-brush detail exuded on all levels. Image Image
Spoiler

Got a trophy "Eternal Patience," and jokingly wondered if it was for insisting on doing Ringo RoadRage's unprecedently lengthy stage in one shot. I'm savouring this, naw mean. Image But nah, it's for... watching all of WolfMother's briefings without skipping. :shock:

Lessons will be taught. Image
Spoiler
[Image

Lessons in death. Image

Man you couldn't pay me to skip those. Glorious returns to The Chaos Engine et al. Highlights this game's winning feature; the joyful irreverence and 2000AD-rich detail of 90s PC action/adventure, with 110% Japanese hardcore ala EAR under the hood. Sumptuous work. Image
MA GIITAR!

Always love your musings BIL. As far the Suspects influence? You nailed it with your Bruce Leroy comment. Trust me - by the end there will be no doubt. No spoilers - just pay close attention during the last boss fight.

Glad you are enjoying it. I played a bit earlier in the week - Heatseekers arcade - and was horribly out of practice.

Not sure where you're at - but my favorite boss fight is from the Suspects.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Air Master Burst

Just grabbed Huntdown on GOG a bit ago (for 4 dollars it was a steal!) and I'm loving it so far, despite having at least one too many damn buttons.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of starting with a few credits on Arcade mode. Story mode seems... underwhelming so far in comparison, although the added set pieces are pretty neat.

Not sure it scratches quite the same itch as EAR, though. It seems to be far more of a hectic platform-jumping and dodging affair compared to the methodical precision of EAR. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely wonderful and I'll certainly spend the next few weeks obsessively playing it; but so far it reminds me a lot more of Hard Corps than EAR.

Also the sprite work and audio is amazing and I'm ALL ABOUT IT.

ETA: Actually, the classic game it reminds me the most of so far is Demolition Man. Like if a proper arcade developer had made Demolition Man instead of Acclaim.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Air Master Burst wrote:Just grabbed Huntdown on GOG a bit ago (for 4 dollars it was a steal!) and I'm loving it so far, despite having at least one too many damn buttons.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of starting with a few credits on Arcade mode. Story mode seems... underwhelming so far in comparison, although the added set pieces are pretty neat.

Not sure it scratches quite the same itch as EAR, though. It seems to be far more of a hectic platform-jumping and dodging affair compared to the methodical precision of EAR. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely wonderful and I'll certainly spend the next few weeks obsessively playing it; but so far it reminds me a lot more of Hard Corps than EAR.

Also the sprite work and audio is amazing and I'm ALL ABOUT IT.

ETA: Actually, the classic game it reminds me the most of so far is Demolition Man. Like if a proper arcade developer had made Demolition Man instead of Acclaim.
Story is basically the training wheels for Arcade. Arcade is just superior. Not only is the game harder, but the game's depth expands tremendously with the addition of score chaining, special awards for specific kills (think bulletstorm), obtaining better weapon drops much earlier than in Story and a wider variety of more interesting enemy placements. Once you go Arcade, you won't go back. Well, except to practice specific boss patterns.

Huntdown is as methodical or hectic as you make it. Unlike Contra, which will send wave after wave of respawning bads after you, Huntdown will allow you to scroll the screen and spawn enemies completely at your own pace. Huntdown also demands you manage multiple limited ammo sources at the same time, which Contra doesn't do. Granted, you're not really punished for failing to, as the default character weapons are "fine."
BIL

Post by BIL »

I knew from yours and Stevens' reports to save that AC mode like it's Christmas morning Image Will knock off Story Mode tomorrow, probably, unless I see something shiny and wander off. Image Been nice, chilling with a learnedly consolised scrolling action gem, after that biblically AC-strong ass-whoopin' from GNGR.
Air Master Burst wrote:ETA: Actually, the classic game it reminds me the most of so far is Demolition Man. Like if a proper arcade developer had made Demolition Man instead of Acclaim.
I definitely see a bit of those Acclaim-published 16bit run/guns in here, too, albeit profoundly overhauled and rehabilitated to JP specifications. Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Stargate... all those would send me running a mile in the other direction. Well no; more politely walking a mile in the other direction. I don't hate them, they're just nothing I care to revisit. But this really is a case of keeping the good (gritty, meticulously macro/micro-detailed panoramic action) and nixing the rest. Hopping a crate, knee-sliding under a wall of buckshot and snatching up a juicy new gun before blasting your would-be killer to his yowling Dick Jones doom all in one unbroken movement is just another Tuesday for EAR/Metal Slug. In those Western precursors, it'd seem like something off the holodeck. :lol:
Stevens wrote:MA GIITAR!
It's so fractally ridiculous, Pythonesque Image They even break out the T2-styled hammer/anvil hits as bluegrass Stretch Armstrong is chasing you around while having an existential crisis about the challenges of continuing his recording career with his fucked-up hands. :lol:
Air Master Burst

5 hours into Huntdown and yeah, it's a goddamn masterpiece.

The only thing I'd change is giving it the option for a proper two-button control scheme, I think it'd play a bit smoother for me like this:

Shoot: A
Jump: B
Throw: up+A
Switch weapons: A+B
Dash: double tap
Drop dash: down+B
Pick up weapon/interact: A

You could probably throw a third button in there for convenience, and it might make picking up the wrong weapon mid-fireright an issue sometimes, but it's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make to satisfy my clumsy fingers and regressive walnut-sized dinosaur brain.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I tend to distinguish three-button and six-button JAMMA, finding Huntdown comfortably in the latter camp (even if it's technically a five-button game). If limited to three... I dunno, I guess I'd go with [up+atk] for throwing weapons. The dash doing triple-duty as a precision dodge, a fast fall, and an invaluable stomp, it's worthy of its own button, imo.

Das b some BLOODBORNE STEPPIN right thar Image (<3 sonic boom cloud @ divekick Image)
Spoiler

Not gonna lie, I enjoy the occasional ridiculously overpopulated panel ala Leynos 2, which really couldn't work without its eight buttons plus dpad (one weapon per button letting you EMP, machinegun, and punch chumps without pause, while doing donuts around them with the dash and guard buttons = fuckin rawk Image).

Important to note, though, that Leynos 2 is a chunky mecha sidescroller; like any good example of its subgenre, it aims for the sense of controlling a dude who's controlling a machine. For more conventionally precise games like Contra III, six buttons is kinda pushing it imo. I still love that game but it always demands a resurrection of clawgrip muscle memories.

I gotta say, it's the rampant physicality that keeps this far outside Contra orbit; Slug's even. They totally picked up and ran with the baton from EAR, with its limited but powerful opportunities to just flying knee and shoulder-tackle the Christ out of enemies. Even fighting completely blind, you can always nail that unfamiliar foe with a deft flying kick to the sternum, or unleash an AOE stomp. Buys time, space, does a bit of damage too; also lethal on rooftops and near pits. #1 Suspects battle design is getting Ninja Five-O good. :shock:

Ninja Cop aka EAR x Shinobi, how'd I not see that coming? :o
Spoiler

Making katanas the deadliest CQC weapon yet, and giving them plentiful repair drops for the game's AZN DYNAMITE stage is bravura action game direction. Image For the first time, I found myself stowing away the close-ranged killer for extended trips. Will absolutely ribbonise tough crowds. Also just feels balls-out Shigurui hardcore, mowing through fuckers without missing a step. TOTAL MASSACRE Image

Just reached The Shogun. Must again note, these are some funny motherfuckers. "KILL EM!" "That wasn't the agreement, sir..." "Here's FIFTY BUCKS!" "Alrighty then" They really saved the best for last. Image Had to pause the damn game at Master Yuuda's reveal, JFC... :lol: (I wonder if that's a reference to Thomas Yuda, of Super Shinobi fame? :o Wouldn't surprise me, with this game's sheer pixel excellence... Easy Trigger seem like the kinda cats to notice all the little YU-DA inscriptions in Super's immortally fine-grained scenery)

Ridiculous Feels: finding that hidden
Spoiler
singing its little heart out to the thumping BGM. Amazing. :shock:
cfx

Post by cfx »

I can't comment on Huntdown not having played it, but I can emphathize with the desire for fewer buttons. I play practically anything that doesn't need analog control with a joystick, and I like having no more buttons than I can use without having to move my hand, so four buttons, and three are better. I always played Radiant Silvergun with three buttons, with the button combinations making much more sense to me than using six buttons.

A pathetic anecdote: In the 1980s when I went to arcades, I only played games where I "got my money's worth" so I didn't play anything that I couldn't come to grips with fairly quickly. That meant shooters basically, because I couldn't deal with more than two buttons. :shock:

I had a friend who bought a Genesis pretty soon after they came out; I don't remember exactly when, but before Sonic anyway. He bought a lot of the early games and I'd visit and we'd play a lot of the co-op ones. I totally sucked at Golden Axe because the controls were too complicated for me. Some time later, I visited one day and he was doing something else for a while so I just went and played games alone for a while, and tried various things. After having played all the shooters for a bit and looking for something else to try I played Streets of Rage. Without the pressure of losing my quarters, or not suck playing with someone else, I got a handle on how to use three(!) buttons and the various combinations, and loved the game.

Shooters and beat-em-ups remain my favorite two genres.

I also don't mind the control scheme in games like Leynos. The complexity somehow adds to the feeling of controlling a big cumbersome mech.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ages ago I downloaded Shantae: Risky's Revenge so i could hack my 3DS.
I thought that shit wasn't shit but i've given it another go recently and it's nice to say i was wrong.

It's a comfy lil' search action.
And it's more involved than I thought it'd be.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Lander

Post by Lander »

I adore the juxtaposition between Cyrax armor and old school coily cord hotline :) if that's not fine pulp, I don't know what is.
BIL wrote:I remember seeing early MGS1 teasers, and knowing it wasn't going to be some Digital Pictures-esque FMV garbage once I spotted those C-Rations amongst the painstakingly-rendered base exterior, maintaining a cheerful 75rpm @ knee-height in the realistically-drifting snow. :mrgreen:
Oh yes, the contrast with a self-serious setting is undeniably additive!

I think Dino Crisis was my first glimpse - a tantalizing box of something rotating happily away behind a chain-link fence steeped in PS1 horror atmosphere.
If memory serves my cousin fed me some playground lore about it being a secret unlockable motorbike, but on reflection it was probably just tranq darts.
Blinge wrote:Ages ago I downloaded Shantae: Risky's Revenge so i could hack my 3DS.
I thought that shit wasn't shit but i've given it another go recently and it's nice to say i was wrong.

It's a comfy lil' search action.
And it's more involved than I thought it'd be.
Brings back memories of foolishly updating my PSP out of hack range on day one, bugging my dad to get me Liberty City Stories once the next round of exploits came out, then parking Toni in some back alley and getting hype for overlay Tetris :lol:

To this day, the only GTA I've properly played through. Pretty impressive for the hardware, I thought.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You just know Mow Man has impeccable telephone manners, too. :mrgreen: Game's absolutely deep-dish loaded with unmistakable affection for the antique future.

Stevens you weren't kidding, what a sendoff for Story Mode. :shock: I have to give it a proper writeup tomorrow. AC mode is the diamond I knew it'd be after you guys vouched for it, a sparking feedback loop of Bubble Bobble item-snaffling and Smash TV chain-killin'. Feels even moreso like a new coinop Elevator Action... I could swear those are SOTN's heart pickup sound effects, haha, that distinct amiable burbling.

I'd say Story Mode is worth the preamble if you dig the game's style; the "story" is no more substantial than EAR/Slug/Contra (and quite correctly so!), but the detailing is gorgeous, and there's a genuine sense of journey; from the nightmarish EFNY depths, to smoggily heady Blade Runner skylines, into the splendiferous neo-feudal.

Echoing Sumez re: GNGR, I would suggest either ignoring checkpoints (Normal difficulty), or securing the Survivor and Stash medals before moving on to the next target. Only a couple of stages are notably long (the final two head honchos, fittingly enough), and even those are pretty trim. Anyway imma slam the brakes down hard and write more tomorrow.

My dad misheard the Dolls' signature war cry as "dogs" - "DOGS WITH BAAALLLS!" - right as poor Fido charged out only to catch a knife salad to go. "Blimey, didn't do that one much good" :lol:

Reminded tonight that oldschool Technos ala Kishimoto & Miracle Kidz is some iconic fury. Image What else is as pitch-perfectly mean-spirited yet indomitable as Kunio's eponymous debut? I've never seen anything on par. Lots of badass Streets of Fire ala Final Fight / Bare Knuckle etc, but not even Kishimoto's own Double Dragon (corporate-mandated 2P simultaneous) quite captures the same sense of bloody-nosed delinquent valour.

Lately, in the aftermath of a new house project, my trusty PS4 has doubled as a basic bitch streaming box. It does pretty well, all things considered. Look all I want is to put on Dirty Harry and The Thing and The Big Lebowski @ 720p for muh bros alright, that good shit and a bucket of cold beer goes a LONG way after a hot day's roofing and gardening 3;

Big bro and a couple old friends @ homescreen - "That Renegade? What's the other one?" None having the faintest concept of commercial emulation. Played a few demo credits of Kunio at their request for old times' sake. Got beat down - judging by the screen options I'd not played this in ~2yrs - while we cheerfully recalled Renegade and RCR and all that good stuff. Happily weebed out explaining them regional diffs, and the Yankee Zuwari ("Man's mean-muggin while takin a shit on the floor :shock:"), rockabilly rokudenashi subculture etc. Was encouraged to GANBATTE, Kunio's gigantic clanking brass balls charming onlookers even in defeat.

Ended up playing several further credits, until ten minutes later, I'd convincingly slapped down Riki's opening horde ("Yo get those peel-heads with the sticks first!" *BARF* "Yeaaah!"), and grimly dismantled the second gang, before calling it a night and starting the film. Meagre progress in the grand multi-looping scheme, but what a delightful little sojourn. Controls are archaically strict yet deadly-precise, once acclimatised to; mechanics can be a bit obscure, but likewise, brutally effective once sussed out. I'd forgotten how aggressive the auto-lockon is, and the delay between *whap* collaring a varmint and the followup attack; both liable to trip up newbies/returners. Spacing and zoning is the crown jewel, simply classic. Six-on-one, with two of those six carrying lethal weapons, the head honcho shamelessly jumping in as his minions start crumbling to your lone justice; the heart and soul of an inimitably cruel/cathartic genre.

Wanted so bad to throw buddy in the harbour with his pals, we were dying laughing as he kept weaselling out of the collar. "Give a man his first bath" :lol: :lol: :lol: Dunno if it's even possible to ring-out bosses? Memory's suggesting not.

PUT THE GLASSES ON!!! Image
Spoiler

A pleasant surprise reminder of how Kishimoto started a global arcade institution with his games, and arguably a second smaller one via Miracle Kidz and RCR. Immortal charisma. MK's main dude Mitsuhiro Yoshida died not long ago, now I recall... no age at all, at that; must pay respects. Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Am I the last one to notice the Famicom box art for Rygar is really cute? https://twitter.com/bakachin_OSAKA/stat ... 8177316866
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super adorable <333 Snapped it up on sight when I got into the FC. Even better when juxtaposed against its arcade predecessor's flyer. :lol: You could say each reflects its respective game's ethos; the amiably indomitable and the savagely studly. :cool:

On the merciless ancient battlefield, a man could give head, or he could take it Image
Spoiler

Shinobi Non Grata is unfortunately not out for a bit on PS4, so I decided to keep with this year's trend of "stuff the thread vouched for I should've jumped on months/years back" and pick up Tanuki Justice instead.

As Sumez said a while back, absolutely superb. Plays somewhat like a coinop Rockman, streamlined and adrenalised by unlimited Super Metal Blades, on a Contraesque 1HKO rampage. A one-hit Shield item smartly buffers the unrelenting danger, while the snappy doublejump almost recalls SOTN's masterful ease. Somersaulting out of falls - say, downshotting your Makaimuran treasure box platform, nabbing the goodie inside, then hopping onto safe ground - feels great. Was also delighted to see Shin/Neo's Aim Lock here! Combines perfectly with the Metal Blade-styled standing downshot. The Super Attack is outstanding; a generous blast of shredding gale, smartly balanced by reach and duration, geared for rapid deployment via brisk per-hit recharge. Less of a last-ditch escape, though it can certainly offer that; more a walloping shotgun to blast holes through crowds, eradicate pesky snipers, and demolish bosses at speed. In a personal favourite touch, it announces its readying with a nice sharp *BAM* audiovisual cue; no need to glance away to check. :cool:

The OST is a real unexpected treat. While the chibi-feudal aesthetic is charming, recalling the whimsical romps of Keio Yuugekitai and Hana Taka Dana, I'm more of an army/ninja/scifi sort ala KoNatsume. The BGM, however, is resoundingly transformative, aided by the fiery player characters. This stuff could easily go straight into a new 2D Ninja Gaiden. Soulful! Catchy! Unbreakable Determination! st2's serenely defiant Moog recalls a dear personal favourite, Return of Double Dragon (SFC)'s final stage BGM (which farcically moves from the climactic temple to the frickin 18-wheeler stage on SNES 3; or it'd be more accurate to say, was rescued from the truck stage, SNES being the earlier and even rougher rev).

Good stuff. The only caveat, as noted back at Sumez's review, is the emphasis on tapping. I wouldn't call it mashing, and this is a distinction I found in Huntdown, too. There's a sensible shot ceiling, your shots do credible damage, and the audiovisual feedback is punchy n' solid. Weak, wimpy, and inanely high-ceilinged - geared not to convey the tactile pleasure of striking/shooting targets, merely fatigue - is a different matter entirely. This said, you most definitely tap a lot here, so external autofire (as Ghegs suggested) might be a prerequisite, if you're averse to that.

Otherwise? Only had twenty minutes or so, but I could hardly tear myself away. So yeah, another for the Western-Made R2RKMFs You Should Play list, it looks like. Image

EDIT: This is damn good. Image Will knock off Normal this weekend, then see about Hard and Insane; the latter of which could well be retitled Arcade. As with GNGR's Legend and Huntdown's Badass, it feels like they designed a theoretical arcade game, then gradually shaved it back to create the easier difficulty modes. It's an approach I'm very fond of... there's nothing worse than a promising Normal - and good gravy, does TJ's hold promise, its latter half dialling up wickedly tight stage designs and superlatively multilayered boss duels - that falls apart on higher settings.

I was pleased to notice, messing around with Insane mode - a bonafide arcade-tough challenge - that TJ actually shares the same tapping policy as Saigo no Nindou's Grenades, and Metal Slug's Heavy Machinegun. It's easily overlooked, with Saigo and Slug yielding screen-raking walls of death, while TJ sticks to a context-appropriate limited-range shot. That said, it's most definitely there, and it changes my estimation of TJ from Moderately to Leisurely Tappy.

1: The autofire ceiling is deliberately low, making anything beyond leisurely tap-tap-tapping a waste. In fact, with TJ's fairly low shot limit, mashing will quickly start producing blanks, as the game refuses to allow more fire onscreen; a jarring effect.

RARRR I LOVE THE SMELL OF BLOWBACK IN THE MORNING *WAPWAPWAPWAPWAP* Image
Spoiler

Filthy varmints dispatched at sensible distance *tap-tap-tap-tap* Image
Spoiler

Ah, man. Who doesn't love the stock busted-down ol' mansion in bamboo forest? A bitch-assed born-lame no-standards POUSYBOI, that's who!

2: There's no pointblank mechanic. Doesn't matter how contact-shotting your proximity, or how quickly you're sinking those projectiles into big targets and off the screen. Speedkilling is instead about good aim-locking for rapid WEAPON deployment.

3: Mashing won't build meter faster, either. This is really important, since WEAPON is key to speedkilling. Want Jumbo Usagi taken down for his 1UP? Mashing and pointblanking are MUDADA! Image Instead, lock aim on the bastard and build mad meter for instant deployment, punching straight through his ki blasts, which are trickily delayed and will otherwise eat into your focused fire:

TO TAKE ME OUT YOU MUST FIGHT LIKE A MAN Image
Spoiler

This pairs really well with the limited-range shot. On one hand, you don't need to pointblank. On the other, you do still need to commit; no fullscreen camping here.

TLDR: Don't mash! And take it easy on the tap! A very thoughtful touch, in a game exuding consideration. NB that, while the ceiling's quite low, the leisurely tap is more than enough to keep baddies at arm's length, with the most mobile enemies generally dying to one hit. Very comfy moving about while tossing out buffering jabs.

-I notice the "Weapon Ready" flash actually cancels bullets. It's very strict, tricky to time, but certainly a welcome reprieve in the heat of battle. Also just adds to the overall sense of NANTE POWWA DESU

You damn skippy my ki is blazing, son Image

-Interestingly, despite TJ's resemblances to Rockman and Contra, it doesn't use respawning zako; not even the setspawn+respawn hybrid of Shin Contra. It seems every last enemy is a unique set spawn. Raises the interesting possiblity of "100% shootdown" runs, and should cut down on zako milking, if true. I'd love this to work as a scoring game, with its airtight handling and utter lack of flab.

-This also lends a bit of Recca/TD2/Dangun waveshredder heat; new waves won't spawn in until you've annihilated the current one, a concern for players chasing the clear time bonus... wait a minute. Is this what that "next wave" button is for? :shock: Must investigate, that'd be pretty wild!

-Putting WEAPON on R1 so you can leisurely tap it along with [fire], instantly unleashing new charges as they arrive is some goood shit Image
NYN

all heads turn when the hunt goes down

Post by NYN »

Leave it to the latest issue of RAW BIL POWER to enthuse about qualities and especially the humour, bringing players to the fore for any action game.

What it did to me.

I heard about Huntdown when it came out, though through personal policy not to buy digital when its spaces are over 1 gig, I dismissed it.
Now that I know there is the physical cartridge, I certainly will hunt it down! Rightly snubbing that ridiculous sales offer. That's just me. Thanks again!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!