From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Have we spoken about the cringefest that is any game journo interviewing From/Miyazaki about Armored core?

the guys wanna talk about the mech game and ign nerds constantly try to bring the topic back to Souls.
It's borderline disrespectful.
Dilettantes gon dilettare. Image They find a "H4RDCOR3 G4¥ME" that's juuust right for their casual mangina's delicate pH balance - PREPARE 2 DIE MIRITE FELLOW GAMERS - and then, hooked on validation, proceed to torture everyone else to death with it. Their interest was never particularly genuine, being conditional on not getting their FEELZ hurt too badly - and so their frame of reference remains minuscule, and they cannot intuit when it's time to STFU and talk about something else.

Lt. CMDR Borisovich Yvegny von BigDong III: "IN TWO SECOND, COMRADE, THIS GO STRAIGHT UP YOU ASS" Image
Spoiler

"An so, herr we habu new counter-offensibu: 'Giganto Facku-Off PyruBankah Ramming Storaito Uppa You Arseholeru...' "
"Nice try, Miyazaki-san, but that's TOTALLY a Powderkegs reference, stealth BBverse mirite audience lololololool!"
"Uh, weru, I mean... no, not rearry-"
"*LINK TO VAAGIVIDYA*"

They also tend to take on the worst aspects of the "hardcore gamers" they'd previously shunned, once they've dragged their grotesquely over-levelled pincushion arse over the line to Real Boidom. There was this cracking thread on REEEEsetera - long since disappeared, as is their Chekaesque wont - where this dude opined that BB would be more enjoyable if he could sprint-pan without resorting to The Claw. Gets a chorus of "PFFFT GIT GUD BRO, L2SOULZ" - one genius is like "Um, sweetie, you should CAREFULLY OBSERVE UR SURROUNDINGS instead of RUNNING AROUND BLINDLY lololol" - only for bro to reveal that he's the DLC speedrun 100% WR holder, and just wants an easier way to no-lock headshot Patients and Villagers, like he's used to doing in Ninja Gaiden II.

CUE CRICKETS

...I suppose it's a bit like the "Karen" or "Ginger" slurs in the US and UK, respectively. An unfortunate swathe of people aren't actually against casual bigotry in any principled sense; they just pretend to be for social credit goodboi points. Offer them an acceptable outlet, and woof, they'll take your hand off. Pearl-clutching "STOP BEING ABLEIST HOW DARE YOU POST THE PIGEON VS DEAN TAKAHASHI VIDEO" turns into idly vicious "LMAO GIT GUD NOOB" really quick.

tbh though - as long as Miyazaki & co keep making bank, IDGAF. Still feel bad for em, but I'm sure they, too, are hep to what a bunch of classless fucknuts their company's "newfound fanbase" tends towards. Image
Last edited by BIL on Mon May 29, 2023 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Vaggievidya :lol: since the new trends are in, I can't wait for the breathily-delivered analysis of why Nine Ball is secretly the tragickest Armored Lore tearjerker ever penned to disc.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I really didn't need souls lore content creators to know about the existence of the Armored Core games. inb4 deep lore analysis of armored core 3. :( "Did you know that the armored core games are acktshually super depressing?" 6 hour video explaining wikipedia plot points. That said, the hardcore souls gamerz only want to consoom souls and soulslike products. So they won't stay fixated on armored core for long. Only long enough for From to put out the next souls game.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Meanwhile poor Otogi is still locked in a basement dungeon somewhere next to Echo Night and Chromehounds.

The existence of Metal Wolf Chaos XD gives me faint hope, though.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Air Master Burst wrote:Meanwhile poor Otogi is still locked in a basement dungeon somewhere next to Echo Night and Chromehounds.

The existence of Metal Wolf Chaos XD gives me faint hope, though.
I was very displeased when I recently popped in my og xbox disc of Otogi and found out it is NOT backwards-compatible with xbox 360. :x

I've had nothing but bad luck with getting working OG xbox systems. I have one that *kinda* works, but not enough so I'd feel confident going for a full playthrough of any game. :roll:

Just reissue Otogi 1 and 2 already, Fromsoft! Make 2 collections. Put Armored Core 3, Silent Line and Nexus in one collection. Put Otogi 1 and 2 in the other collection. Sell them on all modern consoles+PC.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

My flatmate pointed out that From aren't really helping themselves
With that fucking AC6 trailer that begins with

LET THE LAST CINDERS BURN

:lol: :lol: :lol:

talk about begging it
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

I did think they (or their publicists?) had overestimated their audience on that one. :mrgreen: Or shamelessly pandered at them. Either works. :cool: At the same time, I've no doubt "Fires of Rubicon" would've been more than enough to set the goobers off. (killer title! :o juuust the right balance of resonant grandeur, pilebunker-up-ass immediacy, and Engrishy dissonance)

Like Scorsese doing a King of New York followup, and featuring a faint diegetic echo of the Stones in the teaser, as Rupert coughs and accidentally shits his pants in line at the DMV. Because rueful hedonism is in MAWDY's artistic bones, just like entropic smoulderings are in Miyazaki's. And all the rags going "GOODFELLAS II: GOOD HARDER CONFIRMED / How Scorsese Brought Jimmy Conway Back With 1 Weird Musical Trick / Prepare 2 Stare Up Ur Own Asshole: Why Tommy's Ma Is Even Sadder Than Rupert's Ma And How Marty Will Bring Elderly Self-Love Horror To Life

ANNOYING DOG ENEMIES CONFIRMED Image LMAO DOGS R TOUGH MIRITE Image
Spoiler

A FIGURE IN SHADOW - COULD IT BE GWYN'S AFRICAN COUSIN MENTIONED IN DSII DELETED AUDIO Image
Spoiler
Lander

Post by Lander »

A cheeky bit of marketer bet-hedging there, methinks. Likely wilful to keep the plebes hooked so the trailer could work its magic, though the presser tunnel vision is still top twat.
Havel Heavy Industries mirite bros Image

Beyond the obvious planet name, one wonders what the titular Rubicon is in reference to, being symbolic of crossing a taboo threshold. Perhaps whatever caused the big sunsplosion from the trailer, or a moral line that the player will doubtless Overed Boost their way past in course of the campaign.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm honestly so fucking tired of youtube peeps raving at FromSoft's souls formula being genius/revolutionary. Yes, I get it, you just discovered Elden Ring last year. That's nice, deary. I'm sure the game is fun. Yes dear, it's a nice game, it is. It's fine to like it.

Bit odd for me to post that sentiment here, maybe. But I've got my few hundred hours (each) in every fromsoft souls game I've bothered to pick up. They were all fun, to a greater or lesser degree. And I feel like, at this point, "WE" (the gaming public at large) should have an idea of what From are all about with souls game. Y'know, the basic fabric of Souls Game is imprinted on Gaming Culture like the basic fabric of a 2d Mario platformer. I don't particularly want to listen to some big youtuber wax poetic about how SMB3 is genius and revolutionized the world. Kinda feel the same way about Souls. It's cool if you like it. I like it too. But I also liked stuff From made before the Souls games. And I like all kinds of other games that these big youtuber types never touch. So I guess I'd just like to see more weird shit be gifted attention from large youtubers, rather than listening to giant accounts say that universally-beloved games are "secretly" amazing....

Also vaagividya can we just ban you from making more souls lore videos pls
BIL

Post by BIL »

Part of me wants to yell GIT THAT MONEY MUHFUCKA >;3

But ER blowin up quite as big as it did, I suppose it waits 2 b seen if they put it 2 good use 3;

NGL if we get a BB PS5/6/etc remaster IDGAF how many video wankfests they do over the Frowzy Auld Prossie set from ER, and why it's AYKUSHUALLY the SADDEST CLOTHES EVRRR M8 Image
Lander wrote:Havel Heavy Industries mirite bros Image

PSN trophy "MASSIVE LOADS: RESCUE DONLAN R. HAVEL FROM SECRET BUNKER HE FRIEND PUT HIM IN"

PUNISHED HAVEL
Spoiler

A Magnate Denied He LOAD
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

On the one hand i get it Sima, on the other hand..

Jakey is entertaining as fuck and a lot of his vids are really good.
i'd check out his video on horror games or " rockstar design is outdated "

He isn't someone who discovered elden ring yesterday.
You know, some hate comments accused ME of discovering ER yesterday too. Some people are gonna make content about From, new and old.
(considering one such post was by someone with a "bldm" monniker, I suspect it may have been a former chumpsfarm member :lol: :lol: )
Some content creators earned their stripes. Maybe some didn't.
hard to arbitrate that.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I fear that the Tim Rogers bit loses some of its experiential gravitas when delivered from atop an exercise ball.
Or perhaps it's one yomi level deeper, and actually a subtle metaphor for difficulty in videogames.
BIL wrote:PSN trophy "MASSIVE LOADS: RESCUE DONLAN R. HAVEL FROM SECRET BUNKER HE FRIEND PUT HIM IN"
:lol: Once a titan, now reduced to solitary contemplation of MUF.

You know, that's not what you promised, Gwyn! *whap* Now you want to *whap* shut me up! *whap* *whap*
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote:You know, that's not what you promised, Gwyn! *whap* Now you want to *whap* shut me up! *whap* *whap*
Image Image Image
Blinge wrote:(considering one such post was by someone with a "bldm" monniker, I suspect it may have been a former chumpsfarm member :lol: :lol: )
Ha, yeah I - WAIT WTF THAT WAS ME :shock: :evil:
"The stronger the shackle, the more violent its eventual shattering." - Hidetaka Miyazaki
Regs ~ BIL LOVES DICKING MOMS Image Image

Ok look alright it's Bloodborne Leaves Darksouls Malding I know it's cringe pls stop :oops:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Blinge wrote:On the one hand i get it Sima, on the other hand..

Jakey is entertaining as fuck and a lot of his vids are really good.
i'd check out his video on horror games or " rockstar design is outdated "

He isn't someone who discovered elden ring yesterday.
You know, some hate comments accused ME of discovering ER yesterday too. Some people are gonna make content about From, new and old.
(considering one such post was by someone with a "bldm" monniker, I suspect it may have been a former chumpsfarm member :lol: :lol: )
Some content creators earned their stripes. Maybe some didn't.
hard to arbitrate that.
I'm just tired of having the discussion "are From souls games good" or "how GENIUS AND AMAZING are From's Souls series?"

Not saying the dude is trash or whatever. I'm kinda over talking about whether or not Souls games are good. We all know they are, if you like what they're offering. Just like Bing Bing Wahoo jumping man. Honestly, people outside the Souls fandom wondering what the fuss is about should play the games for themselves before watching other people's opinions on them. Probably impossible these days, but that's like, my opinion maaaaan. I think the first playthrough is more fun the less you know. Other than maybe some general hints about intended zone order.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The veddy serious, most erudite, neck-snappingly auto-analingual thinkpieces are just the natural endpoint of all that PREPARE 2 DIE goobery, imo. As if getting their shit detonated by a vidya was some bold new innovation; not merely the end result of Miyazaki & co expertly jangling their Berserk-loving car keys in scurred casuals' faces, while roofying their heartworm meds *cough* I mean vidya into the bowl. Image

"Arf arf!" "Meowww!" "OMONOMNOMNOM" *plbthhhh* "MMMMMM! GOD DAMN YALL! THIS "VIDEOGAME" SHIT BE DELICIOUS YO, WTF, HOW HE DO IT THO?!? VIDEOGAMES TEH SUCK LMAO" :shock:

"Now that we have all d-d-d-DIED ZOMG, let's sit around and reflect on the uprecedented sacrifice we all made together: getting our virtual cartoon man's pretend o-ring resized by all manner of medieval weaponry, and the occasional big meaty fist *poot* *SNIIIIIIIIF*

For appalled onlookers reading along at home, I don't mean to sound uncharitable to our new friends, it's just they aren't very difficult to read from here in our boring old "i liek 2 videogaem lmao" world. Nothing REVORUTIONARY tends to happen here, the relationship is very much like that of Sam n' Ralph from the old cartoons.

But when the very notion of a game not holding your dick while you take a piss is not just novel, but FRIGHTENIN - wonders abound. :shock: Image

Git that money mahfuckas, that's all I'm sayin Image (GIMME MY FUCKIN BB NEOCLASSIQUE: YHARNY FUKKATSU THOUGH, YOU FUCKIN LOUSY PRICKS Image Image)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sima Tuna wrote: I'm just tired of having the discussion "are From souls games good" or "how GENIUS AND AMAZING are From's Souls series?"
Ah i geddit.
well good thing Saint Algorithm's gonna serve it right into your face, and people posting it here
there's no escape for you :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's not what you promised, Gwyn! *whap* Now you want to *whap* shut me up! *whap* *whap*
hah! surely it'd be more of a thicc juicy thump. whump.. thwonk.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote: I'm just tired of having the discussion "are From souls games good" or "how GENIUS AND AMAZING are From's Souls series?"
Ah i geddit.
well good thing Saint Algorithm's gonna serve it right into your face, and people posting it here
there's no escape for you :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's not what you promised, Gwyn! *whap* Now you want to *whap* shut me up! *whap* *whap*
hah! surely it'd be more of a thicc juicy thump. whump.. thwonk.
Definitely posting more similar videos now tbh. LOL.

Yeah idk, I thought that one was interesting enough to finish.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

In the latest episode of Elden Ring: Please let it end edition:
Malenia is down

my god. what a horrible experience that was..
and the cheesy lengths I went to to win. (7min)

https://youtu.be/gcprnvr60RI

Not proud of myself for that one.

also Mohg was just before
https://youtu.be/7O_GQCp2ztM
Lander

Post by Lander »

That gap in the middle of the Malenia video speaks a thousand words :lol:
Textbook phase 1 on the winning run; between that and the plink finish I'd say you gave the boss exactly the respect it deserves.

...YOU MUST BE AN ENEMY!
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha. yeah that's.. kind of the point of her, i figured. use whatever absolute fucking BS you can.
I'm still sad i used the Mimic Tear

Finally finished.

Loux pro wrestling champ was fucking awesome.
mr know-it-all seemed to know all the spells. nice.
what else..
I was just very very tired of the game and its last two bosses by the end.
They gave me a lot of trouble. 40 VIT felt like it wasn't enough!
Steamflogger Boss

Nice vids again. Liked, commented etc
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ahh unlisted but thanks.

I really hope unlisted vids don't mess with my algorithm life
Lander

Post by Lander »

Blinge wrote:Haha. yeah that's.. kind of the point of her, i figured. use whatever absolute fucking BS you can.
I'm still sad i used the Mimic Tear
Aye, seems to me that it has a bit of a Lemeza-from-La-Mulana vibe; your digital action figure needs to be festooned with every mythical tchotchke from across the lands to stand a chance.

Maximalism in Adventuring
Spoiler
Blinge wrote:Loux pro wrestling champ was fucking awesome.
mr know-it-all seemed to know all the spells. nice.
what else..
I was just very very tired of the game and its last two bosses by the end.
They gave me a lot of trouble. 40 VIT felt like it wasn't enough!
Having the Macho Lord pull a run-in and cut a promo at the eleventh hour was such a left-field move :lol: loved it, but I don't begin to understand why.

I was pretty knackered of it by the end too. Thought the O'Elden Ring bloke was a solid climax in his own right, but the TFB upstaged him for no real reason outside of calling back to DeS' old one.

It had busted AI when I played too; several attempts of getting blitzed by Elden Stars, and then it let me win with frustrated no-stamina R2 mashing. Almost felt like that old BB memory leak where bosses didn't have enough space to fit their brain in RAM if you played for too long.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

whaaat. that happened?
did they fix it?

That would never happen to me as i don't do day long sessions rofl
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

AC6 gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFJNz7lNDVk

looks like it has a fair amount of souls DNA thrown in there with the lock on and the bosses with big telegraphed attacks. it looks pretty awesome though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The lockon is wild
thats such a big change.

i like it and feel bad for Armored Core bros at the same time
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It looks like there's still a situational soft-lock (at least in the air, before an individual enemy has been chosen), and the whole HUD has been omitted from these clips, so it could be that there's still some level of manual control over the reticle. In any case, the game looks loads of fun, even if its combat has seen some post-Sekiro standardisation. Some aspects seem like fairly straightforward improvements. The melee combat certainly looks borrowed but it's probably a hell of a lot more engaging and fun than the all-or-nothing single lunges of the earlier games, as satisfying as those can be to land. :)
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I miss the old days when most From franchises had totally different gameplay. You could never confuse the gameplay of Kuon for Armored Core 3 or King's Field.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

but they won't play deraciné :wink: