The Non-Shmup 1CC Thread - Share Your Triumphs Here!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Leandro

Re: The Non-Shmup 1CC Thread - Share Your Triumphs Here!

Post by Leandro »

I got the Shadow Dancer Mega Drive 1cc first time in my life. Short game but still kicked my ass, I got humiliated during the 5-4 Room, total mental block I just couldn't get past that part without losing like 5 lives. To compensate, I got lucky during the final boss and got first try.

Recorded my run with my fingers mashing arcade stick buttons. I think I also said something in frustration, in Portuguese, when I got killed by the Woman Boss in front of the Statue of Liberty.

https://youtu.be/bSQbCS5zNRg
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote:
chum wrote:
BIL wrote: Congrats on the clear! Yeah, people tend to dogpile MS4 over its recycled graphics and "official ROMhack" ethos. In terms of level design, I consider it easily competitive with Nazca's games; in some ways, a bit better. The curve isn't as harshly balanced towards the endgame, for one. And a couple stretches are genuinely first-rate, like the third stage's fiendishly-arranged vertical climb, and the fifth's relentless upper route, which I chickened out of for the low route's lame autoscroller, halfway through, because I just wanted to knock out a quick 1LC. :oops: Image

I like Mission 4's low route as well, with the truly biblical mummy horde. It's a game I still plan to go back to sometime.
Thanks. I'm just happy that I ended up enjoying the game more than I initially thought I would. Practicing stage 6 before getting ready for runs was always fun. My first impression of it was terrible, with that awful, awful stage 2 boss, that practically required a cheese strat. I started playing Metal Slug X on fightcade recently and It's a lot better. That's probably the best game in the series? Up to 4 at least, I haven't tried the ones after. It also seems reasonably easy to no-miss clear so I might try that out. For now though I'm more interested in the co-op.
Yeah, to be honest, the Nazca trio (MS1/X/3; I consider 2 sadly unplayable on hardware spec, its slowdown is maddening) are easy survival games, by arcade standard. They're legitimately heroic scoreplay undertakings, but also prone to tons of milking, as many manual-scrollers are; not my cup of tea, though I have to respect the competitive players. From survival standpoint, they're mostly about sheer cathartic kick, and enjoying Nazca's undeniable pixel mastery; less about the thrill of nonstop dicing with death ala Argus no Senshi, Daimakaimura, or Saigo no Nindou.

MSX is the overall best, I would concur. MS1 is a bit mild (tons of Slug time), while MS3 is deliberately grueling (its Final Mission is longer than the preceding run put together, a real endurance test). MSX has a nice balance of MS1's straight-ahead tank massacres and MS3's titanic sendoff.

It should be noted, though, that all three games sport very noticeable endgame difficulty spikes; even MS1 has its infamous bridge, an all-sides ambush which takes some figuring out. MSX's final stage is entirely bereft of vehicles, until the 11th hour; and its final boss is heavily designed around total lockdown tactics via amassed grenades; a real RNG-crazed input-reading killer if you let it escape and run amok, far nastier than MS4's static final boss. Combined with the easy runup, a Nomiss takes a bit more endurance than it may first seem.

All this said, I adore all three games; if you like one, it's a safe bet you'll like the rest. MS1 has perhaps the most gorgeously contiguous 2D world ever seen, eschewing the sequels' deliberately zany science fiction/horror elements for pure earth n' gunmetal WWII satire; and its tank massacres are uproariously good cathartic fun. MS3 has absolutely reams of enemies, vehicles, and alternate routes, far more than you could ever see in a single run; its extended runtime and punishing Final Mission (autofire strongly recommended for its vertical STG segments) make it a sharply divisive game amongst Slug fans, but if you're into its brand of excess, it'll prove a treasure trove.

MS5 isn't recommendable in the same light, nor is it as good a compact Mission Pack as MS4, but it's still got Nazca's super-smooth engine, and after a couple of lukewarm opening stages, it does eventually warm up. The fourth stage is especially good. Worth a look if you want more from the series, safely ignorable if you're happy with the preceding.
The first Metal Slug game is my sweet spot. Not too difficult, not too zany, iconic, and expertly paced. I was actually able to no miss this one, thanks to the slug's being featured prominently in the levels and their ability to take multiple hits and cheese bosses by holding the down direction and rapid firing grenades.

I've never quite warmed up to any of the other slug games the same way. I've dabbled in trying to 1CC 2/X but I get kinda bored by the end, like I'm forcing myself to have fun. The final boss fight is a bit daunting, not sure I want to do a long game like MS2 to have an implicit game over if I lose my grenades in the final stretch. RNG is a big factor in that fight too, I think even the amount of time it takes to spawn the titular Metal Slug in the final boss fight is seemingly controlled by RNG.

I like the stages better in 3 than in 2, but I had to nope right out of the final stage.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Pinball time!

Tales of the Arabian Nights (Williams 1996) complete! Played via Pinball FX3 in cabinet mode. (rotated screen for the playfield, secondary screen above for the backboard and display)

To win you need to collect all the jewels from game modes, then fight the genie's minions, and finally have one last showdown with the genie himself. At this point the whole table looks like it shuts off until the balls drain, after which you get an ending scene on the display.

I had better luck completing the game modes normally, than spinning the lamp to get jewels through wishes. The shots for game modes are safer and easier to recover the ball from (especially on the left side), whereas shooting the lamp is going to do who-knows-what to the ball and far more risky.

The final game mode is silly, it let you keep launching balls as they drain. I honestly have no idea what wins or loses the last match, I was just trying hard to keep all the balls on the table.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
chum

Post by chum »

BIL wrote: Yeah, to be honest, the Nazca trio (MS1/X/3; I consider 2 sadly unplayable on hardware spec, its slowdown is maddening) are easy survival games, by arcade standard. They're legitimately heroic scoreplay undertakings, but also prone to tons of milking, as many manual-scrollers are; not my cup of tea, though I have to respect the competitive players. From survival standpoint, they're mostly about sheer cathartic kick, and enjoying Nazca's undeniable pixel mastery; less about the thrill of nonstop dicing with death ala Argus no Senshi, Daimakaimura, or Saigo no Nindou.
Agreed, although I would replace the word easy with undemanding. It's not that they're easy games it's just that they demand little of you other than having some kind of plan and to have memorized things. That can be challenging in its own right but it's a very equal challenge, you don't get special treatment for being very skilled, everyone should take at least a base amount of learning before they can win. For this kind of undemanding game the most important thing is that it is satisfying to play. Since the challenge isn'e the main attraction of the slug games at all, obviously. I agree with you it's the wonderful worlds they present and the satisfaction of killing everything!
Thanks for giving a bit of an overview for the other games. I'll at least try 5 at some point.

These games (specifically, 1 and 2) are nostalgic to me from my childhood so it was fun to play through X.
I got a 1cc as well as a few co-op 1ccs for X.
No no-misses but I'm not exactly tired of the game so maybe those will happen before I get tired of them. no big deal if not. It's more likely to happen alone because co-op no miss is definitely harder to do. Since both players have to no-miss simultaneously and the last boss is extra bitchy with 2 players. in my single 1cc I died in a spot I didn't even know was a threat (big railway tank thingy on stage 5 shot a missile at me!) but no deaths elsewhere.
Last boss aint THAT bad imo. You don't need good luck, you just need to avoid bad luck, hah...
I'm considering learning 1 or 3 now. But I don't know because I just think I like X much more. We'll see.
1 feels less inspiring to play, I can't quite put my finger on why. I see your point on the art direction in that game. But I just had more fun with X. 3 is just long, and apparently the hardest. I've mostly steered away from 3 because I've gotten tired of playing it before even reaching the end. I tend to prefer shorter length.

I've also 1cced some more puzzle games most notably Tokimeki memorial taisen puzzle dama. This is a very difficult game. The taisen games are like a spin on Puyo. I'm still playing it now with a weaker character, to see if I can 1cc with this handicap. I'm constantly game overing on st2&3 now which is rough, but I did 2cc once, and I can improve at the game, so hope is not lost!
It's pretty hard to find 1ccs for Tokimeki, but the game seems to have been pretty popular in Japan, and I've fond lots of pro match streams, which are very entertaining to see.
They do some mindboggling stuff. Pretty hard 1cc to me but with some luck and using the strongest char I managed to pull it off. All the pro guys though would have little issues. There is a channel that I think 1cced with every character on harder settings.
I tried lots of other Taisen games and they're much just copies of each other with little differences. Tokimeki remains my fav.
Still in a puzzle mood and looking for others. Cosmo Gang the Puzzle is destroying my brain.
Puzzle games are hardcore... lol
another Hell game, Mouja, the money game with the big cat sprites. How 1cc in this is even possible is puzzling. The gamepaly idea is very interesting though. It's like a mix of Taisen/puyto and money puzzle exchanger. Pretty hard to calculate, definitely a hardcore one.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I've beaten Castlevania Adventure (Gameboy) as 1cc some weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/glycFpieUi8

My revenge from the childrens days :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Such a perversely lovable game, that. :cool: The killer tunes would've kept me coming back, but there's an undeniable satisfaction to acing those considerably tricky stage designs. Not the sprinting killathon a teaming of Nobuya Nakazato and Masato Maegawa might suggest, but it's got the detailing.

It's Norio Hanzawa's soundtrack that I really dig (the talent involved in this game... :shock:). st1/Battle of the Holy is terribly underrated, even in a series known for excellent opening BGMs. Superbly lyrical and catchy. st3/Death Fair is a mahfuckin jam, perfectly complementing the merry parade of autoscrolling deathmachinery. Image I didn't even realise until recently that st2/Darkness and st4/Revenge are the same song, just masterfully-inflected.
chum wrote:
BIL wrote: Yeah, to be honest, the Nazca trio (MS1/X/3; I consider 2 sadly unplayable on hardware spec, its slowdown is maddening) are easy survival games, by arcade standard. They're legitimately heroic scoreplay undertakings, but also prone to tons of milking, as many manual-scrollers are; not my cup of tea, though I have to respect the competitive players. From survival standpoint, they're mostly about sheer cathartic kick, and enjoying Nazca's undeniable pixel mastery; less about the thrill of nonstop dicing with death ala Argus no Senshi, Daimakaimura, or Saigo no Nindou.
Agreed, although I would replace the word easy with undemanding. It's not that they're easy games it's just that they demand little of you other than having some kind of plan and to have memorized things.
True, that's a more accurate way of putting it. :smile: I distinctly remember how impossible several of MS3's nastier routes seemed at first, prior to getting the basic layouts down. Even thoroughly memorised, there tends to be a bit of RNG (especially on zako soldiers), but nothing like Dai or Saigo, where you're constantly negotiating random arrays of set parts.

re: planning, a huge part of controlling MS3, and the others really, is learning where to expend resources; both heavy weapons and grenades. Once you understand where it's ok to just nuke troublesome enemies, and where you need to hold back, things get a lot simpler. It's a curve shared by a few other games with similar ammo+grenade setups, like Ikari and NAM-1975... I'm quite fond of it, gives a nice degree of long-term strategy not typically seen in "infinite ammo" affairs.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

BIL wrote:Such a perversely lovable game, that. :cool: The killer tunes would've kept me coming back, but there's an undeniable satisfaction to acing those considerably tricky stage designs. Not the sprinting killathon a teaming of Nobuya Nakazato and Masato Maegawa might suggest, but it's got the detailing.

It's Norio Hanzawa's soundtrack that I really dig (the talent involved in this game... :shock:). st1/Battle of the Holy is terribly underrated, even in a series known for excellent opening BGMs. Superbly lyrical and catchy. st3/Death Fair is a mahfuckin jam, perfectly complementing the merry parade of autoscrolling deathmachinery. Image I didn't even realise until recently that st2/Darkness and st4/Revenge are the same song, just masterfully-inflected.
Hm.. interesting. You can kinda hear it a little bit ;) The soundtrack is really great, thats true but also the artwork is, I think.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

A humble 1CC of OG Metal Slug (ACA, PS5), which I'm very happy to have got under my belt. I used to think it would be impossible, but I've historically been a very lazy researcher and a very diligent scrub.

So, great to learn from this forum about the i-frames granted to you when jumping out of the Slug, and the boss-demolishing power of bombs. Had a few weeks of frustration at the final mission bridge and with Morden himself, but it all worked out in the end.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well done! While undeniably generous by AC standards, it's not quite the triviality it's sometimes made out to be; I've seen the bridge setpiece freeze people out hard, and the total void of extends makes mistakes costlier than in some technically harder games.

Vehicle Exit Exploit is powerful knowledge indeed; I like to think they actually designed their grand finale in MS3 around it. :mrgreen: I love it when classically strict action games let you momentarily colour outside the lines like that. Don't open fire on those dudes dumping shells on your position, you'll blow up the trucks and unleash zako gotterdammerung! Do a SPIN-2-WIN and whack 'em up close instead. :cool: Only downside is noobs tend to holler FALSICIFARE as your commando dude Contra-flips through solid walls of burning flak, but who cares mirite. Image
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BEAMLORD wrote:A humble 1CC of OG Metal Slug (ACA, PS5), which I'm very happy to have got under my belt. I used to think it would be impossible, but I've historically been a very lazy researcher and a very diligent scrub.

So, great to learn from this forum about the i-frames granted to you when jumping out of the Slug, and the boss-demolishing power of bombs. Had a few weeks of frustration at the final mission bridge and with Morden himself, but it all worked out in the end.
Congrats. Metal Slug is one of those games that I think is a great 1CC to get.

Good moderate difficulty for a 1CC, not too easy and not too hard, and an iconic game - one that's been copied many times. I think it is to run and gun games what DDP is to shmups as far as being a standard bearer for the genre, and a 1CC that a lot of people go for.

I was on cloud 9 for a few days after I cleared it. Hope it is the same for you.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Cheers, both. Probably gonna look at Metal Slug 2 or X next. I know it only gets more Blockbuster from here. And likely more Ballbuster, too
BIL

Post by BIL »

Unless you're overclocking it, avoid MS2 in favour of MSX, imo. The former's slowdown is absolutely soul-crushing; I like it quite a bit, but even removing the slowdown, I'd still recommand MSX. Busier and generally smarter enemy/weapon distribution.

There's a certain sect of... uh... "Neo Geo fan" that will viciously decry MSX, but I've never quite figured out what their deal is. They don't seem to play the games much, which seems to happen a lot in that niche. :lol:

Oh! Have you played Shock Troopers? That one is every bit the topdown answer to Slug. If you find the enemy reaction times a bit sleepy, dial it up to Level 8 - they're deliberately a bit hesitant, to facilitate the melee-driven scoring - safely ignorable, imo. Absolute perfection, even better in co-op. ACA-NG ver is beautiful and perfect, and is also based on the superior ROM revision (which seems to be the canonical in Japan).

PUMPIN CHOONZ too! Dynamite Selection Each And Every Time, Yeah~ That ravenous drone, it makes me wanna scroll the screen too fast and kill and kill and kill and kill and kill! Image Image Image
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Hard agree on MSX and Shock Troopers.

MSX has some moments which are better than first game, and some moments that aren't. It's a bit more uneven imo. The original is almost a perfect game - the slow down on the bridge can bother me some. Bt the game has that balance where it seems impossible at first, but through practice, you can come to dominate.

Shock Troopers is an 80's action flick (something like commando or Rambo) in an arcade game with great style and presentation.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Man, Shock Troopers is fantastic, and overdue a revisit. Never seriously considered a 1CC myself, but had a quick run through Valley route this morning with Big Mama, seems totally do-able. My Team Battle game needs a lot of work though, always found it quite difficult managing everybody's health bars. Too easy to just snatch up those health drops.

Melee-killed one of the bosses, and discovered they drop a full health power up. Nice. You learn something new everyday :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Can't see Big Mama's name without instantly hearing that *BAP* haymaker sound. :mrgreen:

Yeah, that reminds me! Even not going for score, it's still totally worth it to land those prestige melee kills. You get better drops from regular enemies too. Those midboss rival takedowns are so satisfying.

Doing his best Sergeant Elias 3;
Spoiler

There's the Top Gun thumbs up, and then there's the Platoon hands up :cool:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

In early 2021 and late 2020 I 1cc'ed through various Turrican-style games (including Turricans). I like these games a lot and its a shame that this genre is nearly dead. I cannot be replaced by the genres its constructed of (Metroid, Contra, Mario) in my opinion.

Ultracore:
https://youtu.be/acP25dzLRk0
absolutely in love with the new synthwave soundtrack so I deactivated all FX sounds :D The shooting is a bit bland but many Bosses are great designed. There are also very strict jumpig parts which can hit you a bit off guard because the game can be played very casually till you reach one of them.

Gunlord:
https://youtu.be/Yk8rx4STQcQ
NG:Dev undertood perfectly what makes a Turrican and gives the nearly starved fans the long awaited "modern" Turrican very close to the Manfred Trenz formula. I hope they get Gunlord 2 right as well. Only the shooting lacks a bit intesity.

Super Turrican (NES):
https://youtu.be/AkgHOSPixDQ
The last Trenz Turrican but its more or less a mixture of T1 and 2 without to much new. The high NES resolution and the small sprites gives it a very unique feel but some enemies can hit you with more damage as the should and sometimes out of nowhere so it can be a bit more frustrating.

Turrican 1 (Amiga)
https://youtu.be/0OOyKlIMIO4
More or less my favorite whith the even a bit better soundtrack compared to T2 and the most interesting stages. Great mix of stage design as well.

Turrican 2 (Amiga):
https://youtu.be/sh7t_jGu4F0
More streamlined controls but a very unbalanced ball-attack. Ssome stages are sometimes a bit to lasy designed even if the overall graphics and creativity is again on a high standard. The secound of the two only real Turricans.

Super Turrican (SNES):
https://youtu.be/I0blRr1ZNOw
It has theoretically all elements of a Turrican but the few kinda free stages are not that interesting and because of your low max jump hight it feels very restrictive. Many not-fun near pixel perfect jump trials in later stages and uninspiring stage designs (obligatory lava and snow stages ... lame). And its to short.

Mega Turrican (MD):
https://youtu.be/0zGCSieRkio
Jumping is a tiny bit more fun and its not reallymore linear compared to Super Turrican as many say but without your free range laser and the lower pase it simply lacks a bit in beeing really memorable.

I had much fun with all these games but I hate how less Factor 5 had an understanding of the formula or didnt liked it at the and but used the more freestyle element to get around designing a tight and on the point action game of japanese standards...
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've been beating my head against Final Vendetta for a day or two. Struggling to even see the later levels, let alone beat them. So I figured, "hey, since I suck so much ass, I might as well drop down from Hard to Easy."

I don't think the game actually has a "Normal" difficulty. It just goes directly from Hard to Bitchmade modes. Anyway, I tried out Easy and immediately got a clear with Duke. Easy is... Really Easy. I think the game would benefit from a difficulty between Hard and Easy. Easy gives you so many resources (something like 13 lives, not counting secret lives in stages) that a clear is all but impossible. I really don't understand the mentality of people who complained about Final Vendetta not allowing credit feeding. Easy is ridiculously easy and there's a difficulty below Easy, too. I guess that difficulty (Casual) was added via patches, but was Easy really not easy enough? I finished the game with 10 lives. I am awful at arcade beat em ups, too. All my beat em up clears are on newer beat em ups.

Welp, back to Hard mode. The only thing I don't like about Final Vendetta compared to SoR2/SoR4/Fight 'n' Rage is there seems to be some weirdness with throw inputs. In games like SoR or Final Fight, I can easily grapple, hit twice and then either throw or suplex. In Final Vendetta, I keep accidentally throwing the enemy away from me before I can suplex them. I input the suplex command but it doesn't come out. I think maybe the throw timing is different. It keeps confusing me. Also, certain enemies always do rising attacks when knocked down, which kind of takes away from the usefulness of being able to stomp enemies on the ground. Try to stomp the gas mask guys and you'll always get hit instead.

Cool game though.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

SOR 4 Mania+ Arcade 1cc - I was originally using Max's default moveset and spent a weeks struggling. Changed to some of his alternate moves over the weekend and got the 1cc within a day. Rolling grab is a lot of fun, and followed by an invul suplex replenishes most of the green health. It also somehow grabs downed enemies, and I found it very useful for grouping them together. His alternate Star move - Iron Will - is simply ridiculous. It grants full invincibility, so you can just stand there hammering away at foes without dying, all the while replenishing green health and keeping the combo up!
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BurlyHeart wrote:SOR 4 Mania+ Arcade 1cc
Glad to hear you're still kicking ass and taking names in beat 'em ups. :)

I don't have anything too spectacular to share, aside from having replayed Rad Racer recently. I'd only beaten it a couple of times previously, and both times the last stage tended to involve me barely limping across the finish line. This time I was much more aggressive in passing instead of trying to hide behind a car in front of me. It turns out cars spawn so frequently on the last level that you don't have to worry about cars suddenly passing, as there's almost always a car already occupying the lane (only one enemy car can be in a lane at a time). There were some early mistakes, but I was pleased with how the latter half of the 1cc run went.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Thanks BKRoo. I had been drawn away by various things - sometimes one can have too many hobbies :lol:

Getting back on the 1cc trail hopefully. SOR4 Mania+ S rank 1cc w/max in here > https://youtu.be/qaHpLJFmZyA
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Steven

Post by Steven »

chum wrote:Tokimeki memorial taisen puzzle dama. This is a very difficult game.
Memodama is completely insane. It's one of the hardest games I have ever played in my life. It's like Tatsujin Ou levels of difficult, but unlike Tatsujin Ou, which is kind of a broken piece of shit, Memodama is very well designed and a lot of fun despite the ridiculous AI. They have tournaments at Mikado every Wednesday night, so I bought it on Saturn to see why it's so popular and I really like it.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
Memodama is completely insane. It's one of the hardest games I have ever played in my life. It's like Tatsujin Ou levels of difficult, but unlike Tatsujin Ou, which is kind of a broken piece of shit, Memodama is very well designed and a lot of fun despite the ridiculous AI. They have tournaments at Mikado every Wednesday night, so I bought it on Saturn to see why it's so popular and I really like it.
I have the Twinbee version on PS1. Back in the day someone I knew had Memodama and I played it but no longer remember if there's any difference in the mechanics or AI compared to Twinbee.

The later characters in the Twinbee version are very hard for me to beat, though I truly suck at these games because my brain just can't understand how to see or plan patterns to set up combos, so my playstyle amounts to speed + luck.

I miss these games or rather getting anything new anyway. These days it's the occasional rehash of Puyo Puyo (which I don't even like), some rereleases, and a few random others. Saturn and PS1 had a bunch of more obscure one-offs that were either slight variants of this style or somewhat unique. I have some of them; don't remember everything offhand but two are Pukunpa and Monster Slider. Cleopatra Fortune might be my favorite, in part because I tend to prefer endless games over the versus type.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:
Steven wrote:
I have the Twinbee version on PS1. Back in the day someone I knew had Memodama and I played it but no longer remember if there's any difference in the mechanics or AI compared to Twinbee.

The later characters in the Twinbee version are very hard for me to beat, though I truly suck at these games because my brain just can't understand how to see or plan patterns to set up combos, so my playstyle amounts to speed + luck.

I miss these games or rather getting anything new anyway. These days it's the occasional rehash of Puyo Puyo (which I don't even like), some rereleases, and a few random others. Saturn and PS1 had a bunch of more obscure one-offs that were either slight variants of this style or somewhat unique. I have some of them; don't remember everything offhand but two are Pukunpa and Monster Slider. Cleopatra Fortune might be my favorite, in part because I tend to prefer endless games over the versus type.
Even on the normal difficulty (I forgot what it's called) Memodama completely annihilates me at the second or third character. The easiest setting is pretty easy from what I remember; pretty sure I got the 1CC on that with little effort. Apparently Shiori is one of the hardest final bosses in anything ever or something like that, assuming you can get that far (and that you are not playing as her), and I think you can't use a continue if you lose to her.

Memodama is a lot of fun even though it's stupidly difficult. It's probably a shitload of fun in multiplayer against another human, though. It's possible that I would call Memodama better than even Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2 and maybe even Teki-Paki if I could actually make progress in Memodama, but...

I guess the PS1 version of the game is missing some stuff or something and that the Saturn version is more or less arcade-perfect, but I have only ever played it on Saturn. Would like to get the PCB for the arcade version eventually.
chum

Post by chum »

Steven wrote: Memodama is completely insane. It's one of the hardest games I have ever played in my life. It's like Tatsujin Ou levels of difficult, but unlike Tatsujin Ou, which is kind of a broken piece of shit, Memodama is very well designed and a lot of fun despite the ridiculous AI. They have tournaments at Mikado every Wednesday night, so I bought it on Saturn to see why it's so popular and I really like it.
Oh yeah tell me about it... a while back I cleared it on the hard mode, it might be the hardest 1cc I ever got. The speed gets ultra quick from lvl 6 onward and the AI is relentless as usual. there's also an added amount of heart blocks. Can't really compare it to memorizers though, so let's just say that all of those really hard games are really hard!
Those tournament streams are really entertaining, double demon dog chaining ftw.
Even on the normal difficulty (I forgot what it's called) Memodama completely annihilates me at the second or third character. The easiest setting is pretty easy from what I remember; pretty sure I got the 1CC on that with little effort. Apparently Shiori is one of the hardest final bosses in anything ever or something like that, assuming you can get that far (and that you are not playing as her), and I think you can't use a continue if you lose to her.
Mm... Shiori as the final boss is actually not as hard as level 8 (forgot his name) imo. level 8 is definitely the hardest.
If you want to 1cc normal mode, you should play as Shiori anyways. It's more about how it helps withe very other stage than with the final level. Shiori is strong if you want to "clutch" a clear. The reasoning is like this.
Shiori's patterns sends pillars that really disrupts the enemies chaining potential. this means that Shiori is very strong in the early to mid game.
Shiori's weakness is that her pattern is one of the easiest to chain when the screen is nearly full. This means that comebacks are very powerful against Shiori.
This means that Shiori is very good if you want to 1cc but it's very hard for you. You can try to clutch it out and hope the AI doesn't do these insane double digit chain comebacks.
I'm still occasionally trying to 1cc the normal mode with the weakest character, Saki. But she is so easy the chain against that I haven't managed to do it yet, because the AI is just crazy with Saki, regardless of if you play normal or hard... :(
Saki does have one strength which is that if the screen is nearly full, you can't make a comeback easily. So Saki isn't entirely hopeless, if you can manage to send some huge chains over and the enemy doesn't counterattack, Saki is very good at dealing the finishing blow after that.
And yeah, Memodama is a really fun game. I love it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Goemon 4 on SNES has a Taisen Puzzle Dama mini game. Probably not the best version of the game, but it's a fun little extra. This version allows up to 4 players too.
Steven

Post by Steven »

chum wrote:
Steven wrote: Memodama is completely insane. It's one of the hardest games I have ever played in my life. It's like Tatsujin Ou levels of difficult, but unlike Tatsujin Ou, which is kind of a broken piece of shit, Memodama is very well designed and a lot of fun despite the ridiculous AI. They have tournaments at Mikado every Wednesday night, so I bought it on Saturn to see why it's so popular and I really like it.
Oh yeah tell me about it... a while back I cleared it on the hard mode, it might be the hardest 1cc I ever got. The speed gets ultra quick from lvl 6 onward and the AI is relentless as usual. there's also an added amount of heart blocks. Can't really compare it to memorizers though, so let's just say that all of those really hard games are really hard!
Those tournament streams are really entertaining, double demon dog chaining ftw.
Yeah, I was there in the arcade with one of the members on this site on a Wednesday several months ago watching the tournament in person and he said Memodama is really good, so I bought it and it completely kicked my ass. I was definitely not expecting that; I think it's significantly more difficult than most of the STGs that I have played except for stuff like Daioujou and Saidaioujou. Most people probably wouldn't expect a puzzle game with cute girls to be this difficult, but it is.
chum wrote:Mm... Shiori as the final boss is actually not as hard as level 8 (forgot his name) imo. level 8 is definitely the hardest.
If you want to 1cc normal mode, you should play as Shiori anyways. It's more about how it helps withe very other stage than with the final level. Shiori is strong if you want to "clutch" a clear. The reasoning is like this.
Shiori's patterns sends pillars that really disrupts the enemies chaining potential. this means that Shiori is very strong in the early to mid game.
Shiori's weakness is that her pattern is one of the easiest to chain when the screen is nearly full. This means that comebacks are very powerful against Shiori.
This means that Shiori is very good if you want to 1cc but it's very hard for you. You can try to clutch it out and hope the AI doesn't do these insane double digit chain comebacks.
I'm still occasionally trying to 1cc the normal mode with the weakest character, Saki. But she is so easy the chain against that I haven't managed to do it yet, because the AI is just crazy with Saki, regardless of if you play normal or hard... :(
Saki does have one strength which is that if the screen is nearly full, you can't make a comeback easily. So Saki isn't entirely hopeless, if you can manage to send some huge chains over and the enemy doesn't counterattack, Saki is very good at dealing the finishing blow after that.
And yeah, Memodama is a really fun game. I love it.
I haven't really looked at which characters are considered the best, but I've usually been playing Shiori, although sometimes I use Yumi. I do need to practice the game a lot more, though. I haven't played the game in a long time, but I think I will set up my Saturn and play it some more today since it's a lot of fun, even with the crazy difficulty.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
cfx wrote:

Memodama is a lot of fun even though it's stupidly difficult. It's probably a shitload of fun in multiplayer against another human, though. It's possible that I would call Memodama better than even Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2 and maybe even Teki-Paki if I could actually make progress in Memodama, but...

I guess the PS1 version of the game is missing some stuff or something and that the Saturn version is more or less arcade-perfect, but I have only ever played it on Saturn. Would like to get the PCB for the arcade version eventually.
Maybe I should get the Saturn game; after checking I see it's still available fairly cheaply, even new. I'm sure I'll never get anywhere in it because I suck but maybe it will be fun trying anyway.

Also, buying a new Saturn game in 2023 (and one not outrageously priced) is something. Who knows how many years it has been since I bought a Saturn game; at least 10, maybe 20.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:Maybe I should get the Saturn game; after checking I see it's still available fairly cheaply, even new. I'm sure I'll never get anywhere in it because I suck but maybe it will be fun trying anyway.

Also, buying a new Saturn game in 2023 (and one not outrageously priced) is something. Who knows how many years it has been since I bought a Saturn game; at least 10, maybe 20.
It's super cheap. Definitely get a copy if you want one. I am thinking about getting the PCB or whatever if I can find it, but I guess the Saturn version is very close to the arcade version or maybe even perfect. I just played it and it kicked my ass as usual. Got another 1CC on the easy mode, but normal destroyed me.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
cfx wrote:Maybe I should get the Saturn game; after checking I see it's still available fairly cheaply, even new. I'm sure I'll never get anywhere in it because I suck but maybe it will be fun trying anyway.

It's super cheap. Definitely get a copy if you want one. I am thinking about getting the PCB or whatever if I can find it, but I guess the Saturn version is very close to the arcade version or maybe even perfect. I just played it and it kicked my ass as usual. Got another 1CC on the easy mode, but normal destroyed me.
Arcade won't have whatever loading obviously. Possibly there's a horizontal resolution difference? It runs on Konami's GX hardware, like Gokujyou and Sexy Parodius, and I remember some discussion somewhere about the Saturn games displaying more of the playfield due to a resolution or pixel aspect ratio difference. Saturn also has bands in the blue skies instead of smooth gradients on those games, but I doubt that sort of thing would be the case here.

If the arcade board is available and not too expensive though, I'm always in favor of the original for a favorite game. I have the boards for Gokujyou and Sexy Parodius, even though I don't have a way to play them. :|
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote: Arcade won't have whatever loading obviously. Possibly there's a horizontal resolution difference? It runs on Konami's GX hardware, like Gokujyou and Sexy Parodius, and I remember some discussion somewhere about the Saturn games displaying more of the playfield due to a resolution or pixel aspect ratio difference. Saturn also has bands in the blue skies instead of smooth gradients on those games, but I doubt that sort of thing would be the case here.

If the arcade board is available and not too expensive though, I'm always in favor of the original for a favorite game. I have the boards for Gokujyou and Sexy Parodius, even though I don't have a way to play them. :|
Loading is practically nonexistent even on the Saturn, fortunately. It loads for maybe 5 seconds when the game starts up, but after that it's more or less seamless. It's a very nice experience all around, aside from getting completely smashed by the AI. I would not be surprised if there were resolution differences, but Memodama looks fine on Saturn.

I'm starting to think that it might not be worth it to get the PCB for the arcade version, though. I was thinking about rotating my monitor last night to play Zero Wing and I got everything undone and then when I went to pull the monitor off I was like yeah, no, too heavy. I could run it to my PC monitor, but since I already have Memodama on Saturn it's kind of pointless. I would love to play Memodama on the Astro and have another simultaneous multiplayer game besides just Out Zone, but the monitor is kind of a pain to rotate since it's so heavy. If I find a PCB, I would definitely still consider it if it's not too expensive, but I really don't like rotating the monitor due to its weight.

Edit: looks like they fucked some shit up on Saturn and PS1. They changed some of the patterns and stuff. It's perfectly playable, but the Saturn and PS1 versions are not arcade perfect and play differently from the arcade version. Looks like I am going to try to find that board now.