Bloodborne LTTP: Yharnam Fukkatsu ~ Dream HOONT Never Ends

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Bloodborne LTTP: Yharnam Fukkatsu ~ Dream HOONT Never En

Post by Blinge »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:Back in it lately. Surprised at how reasonable and balanced a pure Bloodtinge run is. Pretty heavy on resource management, and you won't have access to competitive melee damage until you kill Marty Laborious. But sucky melee doesn't sting quite as much when you shoot all your problems from 20 feet away. At the same time, erratic enemy movement keeps things from getting boring; there's enough careful timing of shots to keep things interesting, even when I'm killing Paarl in 8 bullets. Marty is shockingly easy to shoot to death, just make sure you don't let him get that forcefield up. Unfortunately, Bone Marrow Ash doesn't restock automatically, which is fairly annoying. Wishlist for the PC port we're never getting.

Evelyn+Chikage is some god tier Fashion Souls, btw 8)
fucking hell what level are you to kill Paarl in 8 bullets? what's the set up??
or if you don't remember what level, what point in the game did you face him?

Ah i have a bloodtinge character but i only used it for a full co-op run. (we had the goal of killing Rom in the chalices before ever meeting her on the surface).
Don't think we ever finished the main game.

There was a funny moment where my bud was getting slapped about by a chalice boss but then i came in yelling awful rap through ps4 voice chat while spamming fire from alternate hands - Reiterpallasch and Evelyn. wiped the boss out :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Blinge wrote:fucking hell what level are you to kill Paarl in 8 bullets? what's the set up??
or if you don't remember what level, what point in the game did you face him?
After Amelia, before Forbidden Woods. Hunter Pistol+6, thirty-something Bloodtinge. Bone Marrow Ash is 2.5x damage for pistols, first shot breaks the head so it takes 1.5x damage from attacks after that, when Paarl's lightning is turned off he takes extra damage (another 1.5x? I'm not sure). I couldn't tell you how exactly the stacking works with all that, but it was well over 600 damage per shot.

Lining up 8 headshots is harder than it sounds though. The first one knocks him down so you get a couple freebies, but once he's up and moving Paarl's head is all over the place. Getting the last couple shots in while electric projectiles whizzed by was a thrill.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I got up to the cleric beast last night.

I sword and boarded my way through Elden Ring, Demons's Souls, and Dark Souls 1 and 2. Heavy armor, heavy shield, and swinging a ridiculously big sword.

I feel very lost without my shield.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

"Shields are nice..."

Use the wooden shield rofl
what weapon are you using? Please tell me it's not the Ludwig sword.
basic bitch weapon tbh
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The regain mechanic kinda takes the place of your shield. You can be much more aggressive than you would in a normal Souls game thanks to that. Bloodborne may not feel like it at first, but I think it's one of the easier Souls games. If you maintain relentless aggression and master the dodge, you'll have 90% of boss and normal encounters sorted. Parries will cover the last 10%. Learning to play unlocked is very important in Bloodborne because of all the giant monster bosses.

There are so many powerful weapons in Bloodborne. You really can't go wrong with most of them. Big shout out goes to Saw Spear for being totally fucking broken to shit.
To Far Away Times

Played a bit more today and it's clicking now. You want to be aggressive, but not careless.

Rocking the saw cleaver and occasionally the kirkhammer.

Beat Father G and killed the gattling gun guy on the rooftop before calling it a night.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Saw spear is for lamers
Cleaver is the truth.

Yeah i used to fight unlocked on bosses but now i think the way is constantly switching.
Big monster bosses you can lock for a more tactical fight sliding in an out of their range.
makes a lot of sense when you’re further away. i no longer like the rub my face in fur approach.

I no longer drink from the furry cup
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sima Tuna wrote:Learning to play unlocked is very important in Bloodborne because of all the giant monster bosses.
Blinge wrote:Yeah i used to fight unlocked on bosses but now i think the way is constantly switching.
This is one of the most valuable tips not just for BB newcomers, but Miyazaki newcomers in general (I was both, as you recall ;3).

BB's lockon complicates all the massive-yet-agile bosses fought at close range. If you don't understand the role of free movement, and lock onto them as a matter of course, you'll feel like your head is being yanked about. Don't lock on to Paarl at this range, you'll end up like them thar Japoneses who hurl @ Quake! Not until you know what you're doing, anyway!

Man Parl taught me a lot. RIP prison homie. 3;

As Burinju says, lockon should be deployed purposefully, say when you're going in for an opening and want Quickstep readied.

With crowds, much the same. Use lockon to assassinate, or to enable Quickstep; don't treat it as a prerequisite. You're much better-off figuring out your weapons' movesets, and manually steering your R1 strings to hit as many targets as possible; also using your most crowd-pleasing attacks, where tactically viable (eg, not when a backstabber is waiting to punish you). Hoonter Axe 2H/R2 is an early asset:

Four deads are better than one Image Image
Spoiler

Don't underrate the plain' ol diveroll! It's every bit as useful as the cooler Quickstep. Use it RITE, and in short time, you will sympathise with those screams of "OH GAWD! HELP ME!" and "BEAST! A FAHL BEAST!" from the ill-fated dogman hordes Image

Unlocked movement also lets you freely pan the camera about, which you should be doing as a matter of course (these are very much twinstick games, ala the similarly quickstep-geared PS2 Shinobi).

NINJAMAYNE THE AHT-SAIDAH in: Sear-chin'-4-rooove~

Even unlocked shooting is viable, once you've absorbed the game's handling. I used to consider it a showy trick, too unreliable for general use, but nah - it is legitimately lifesaving to pivot 180' and blast that Bricky in the nuts as he tries to cave your head in. V-ATK the floundering cunt as his bros dogpile onto your i-frames, then roll outta there. :cool:

There is also a third way, of sorts; using locked-on attacks deliberately placed to catch adjacent enemies. Good when you want to hammer a priority target while tearing up his supports.

NINJAMAYNE THA FAHL BEAST in: SEX WORKER RESCUE

Or hitting two big buggers for the charge+END cost of one:

In Soviet Yharnistan, VEGETABLE eat YOU Image
Spoiler

---

Going from 8 loops of BB, to DS1, was a refreshing experience. Image Most rewarding, being able to get all up in boss's faces with a defensive option, riding the green bar to the edge of exhaustion and oblivion like mahfuckin Psyvariar :shock:

Returning to BB a year on, with its narrower "everyone is some variant of Samurai Gunslinger" build range, and effective absence of block, I wondered if it'd feel one-note. NO LMAO The variety is in the weapons themselves, a willfully idiosyncratic lot. As for the lack of shields... it's impressive how seamlessly Miyazaki and co translated DS1's sword+shield ethos over to BB.

"How do you parry enemies in this game, then?" "You shoot them in the motherfucking face tbh" "Oh." Sounds alien, but the way you've got to on-fly calculate your draw, the bullet's flight, and the enemy's state is superbly analogous to DS1's parry; just like the revised backstab mechanic, which might seem laborious at first, until you grasp how explosively the Quickstep can put you at an enemy's back while they flail at the empty space you once occupied.

Fuck I love these two games. :cool: I would rank them with Silent Hills 1 & 2 amongst gaming's best double acts.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

I use lock on by default and unlock as the situation calls for it, personally. The important thing is to keep both modes in mind while playing. And yeah I cannot stress enough how important rally/regain is. Bloodborne might seem like a game about being a dodgy ninja, but just as often it's a slugfest.

My Bloodtinge run has given me a new respect for the random unnecessary close range gunshot. It's really handy as a stunning jab before your melee attack, or to recover stamina after a combo. The latter is a great way to get parries too. Once upon a time I thought the Blunderbusses were inferior to the pistols; not anymore. Well, except best girl Evelyn.
To Far Away Times

Got to the forbidden graveyard last night.

This game has grown on me a lot. I get the flow of the combat now and I don't miss having a shield. The movment options and tons of i-frames are sublime.

I found the basic bitch Holy Sword, and its hella good. They give you the tools, you should use 'em, right? (Except Summons. I never summon; real players or NPCs.)
To Far Away Times

Finished the game tonight. Good stuff.

Unlike the last couple souls games I played, this one ends with on a high point with an excellent boss battle. The game is much more evenly made in general, without any sections that are noticeably lower in quality. The trade off is that boss battles were a little better in Dark Souls. Too many big enemies where the camera fights you if get under them. Art design is quite nice, with all the Victorian and Lovecraft influences, but I did notice a lot of assets repeat throughout the game. The same coffin, window frame, writing desk, gate, cobble stone steps, etc show up many times. One of those things where I wish there had been a higher budget to have a bit more asset variety.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

OPERATION PS4 HARD DRIVE REPAIR COMPLETE.

Farmer's hide your daughters - Stevens returns to Yharnam tonight.

Going all in on a Bloodletter build.
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

To Far Away Times wrote: but I did notice a lot of assets repeat throughout the game. The same coffin, window frame, writing desk, gate, cobble stone steps, etc show up many times. One of those things where I wish there had been a higher budget to have a bit more asset variety.
Wow. you sound like a youtube reviewer.
Imagine this having any impact on how you enjoy a game, or having enough of an impact that you'd feel the need to write about it. seriously what the hell.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

To Far Away Times wrote:I found the basic bitch Holy Sword, and its hella good.
Ah yes, the " i want to just play dark souls again " option.
The trade off is that boss battles were a little better in Dark Souls
Oh god, don't let birru hear you say that. your butthole will never be the same...
Too many big enemies where the camera fights you if get under them.
I fell into that trap when I was new too. the solution is not to get under them
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wait wut >_> Are you... STOKING TEH FRAMES OF CONFRICT Young BURINJU ;3 ;3 ;3

Nah I like DS1's bosses, even if I prefer BB's roster overall (the latter also lacks anything remotely as bedshitting as Bed of Chaos).

I don't find the two games very comparable to begin with, though. Not on any level other than Miyazaki's fundamental rubric of "no cancels, flail and u gon get FUCC" (and at that level of abstraction, you might as well say Castlevania and Makaimura are similar). Mechanics, scope, pace, you name it. That's not some fencesitting either, I don't like splinters up me arse son! :shock: BB's eight loops+ devoured an entire summer, then DS1's the next; and then, I wondered if I might actually hate BB, when returning to its smaller world and streamlined builds. Fuuuuuck no. DS1 is an oldschool 8/16bit ARPG ala Faxanadu or Dragon Slayer IV, a vast realm realised in soaring 3D scale. BB is the sumptuous horror detail of classic RE/SH, paired with a similarly narrow-but-intense focus on quickstep-driven Samurai Gunslinger combat ala Shinobi (PS2). They scratch entirely different itches.

Now I will say, in terms of camera, I consider Kalameet and Manus better examples of HYUGE BEAST boss design than BB's titans (those two are, ofc, barely even middleweights by BB's towering, roid-raging, godflesh-rabies standard). Like, I can consistently no-heal Headless Bloodletter; but it took a lot of trial and error to learn his body language, since you tend to lose sight of titans' hands and heads while in striking range. Of course, you can hang back and move in only on openings - but BB being what it is, distance can easily backfire; Bloody has his terrifying 1HKO FALCOWN POWNCH for lingerers, and Vicar Larry loves to launch full-room haymakers, too.

Having a shield inarguably makes DS1's equivalents easier - you can eat Manus's biggest haymakers all day, and score Alpha Counters out of blockstun - but I don't see why BB couldn't have enjoyed similar visibility, simply by letting you pull the camera back, outside of pure aesthetic concern (the beasts' impossible scale being integral to BB's overarching despair, as referenced in countless dialogues and texts).

YO A$$ B-LONG II ME (◎w◎;)(`w´メ)
Spoiler

Duels, though? No contest, I prefer BB. That blend of spectral grace, blinding speed, and bloody-nosed car-crash violence, filtered through the signally punishing Miyazaki school... it's totally distinctive. Like, I got a fuckin boner fighting poor Arty sans shield in DS1, after realising why he lacked his own, and was fighting with a broken arm, on top of that. Rest well brothers. 3; But as bloodening as DS1's scholarly ebb/flow is, BB's tactical hyperkinetique transcends twice over, in razorline exchanges of God Speed and God Impact.

2nite I want 2 b ur lover / Just 1 thing i forgot 2 buy a rubber (◎w◎;)(`w´メ)
Spoiler

I'm a max input/max output sort, at heart... I can dig a knightly clash, but ultimately, I wanna wild the fuck out and tear a motherfucker's spine out, on the strict proviso that one misstep will see my battycrease detonated with the fury of a collapsing star, instead - naw mean? Image Image

On your feet or on your knees boyo (`w´メ)
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Bloodborne feels the more polished game overall, out of From's Souls games. The way I'd describe it is BB is the "best" Soulsborne game, if you remove nostalgia or personal preference. I can't think of any elements that seriously drag down the experience or need to be fixed. Weapon variety could have been an issue, but the DLC adds loads of them and the weapons are just so complex and satisfying to use. It's easy to forgive that minuscule gripe when the payoff is such a large moveset per weapon. Especially since each weapon counts as two and has transition attacks for switching forms.

Bloodborne is a pretty easy game (at least the main campaign,) which could be a major plus too. Depends who you ask. But the forgiving Regain mechanic and the early game power of some weapons/items (saw spear and fire ftw) definitely boost new players up. Most of the early bosses are pretty easy (except Gascgy, who is there to teach you to parry.) Bloodborne is a souls title that appeals strongly to both the mass market and TEH HARDCOREZ. Bloodborne also lacks a lot of the jank you'll find in Demon's Souls and DS2.

BB is a class act, all around. Can't think of anyone who played Bloodborne and came away disappointed. I still prefer Demon's Souls because I like the unique atmosphere of DeS. DeS swamp and latria are too cool.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The Rally mechanic is such aesthetic genius Image RIP AND TEAR AND SKULLFUCK LIKE A BEAST Image

I remember reading, one of the things which makes even remotely human-sized animals so goddamn dangerous in a fight is, they're 100% effort. They don't have any concept of the future, or self-preservation, and things like pain and fear vaporise fast under that existential white heat. CF Timmy Treadwell (RIP dead gay bear dude, bear ate he fuckin head off)'s footage of two adult male Grizzlies warring the fuck out, one literally shitting himself in furied agony. Yeah, you're covered in blood and shit. The other dude's compost, and you're balls-deep in MIRIN pussy blasting your load - who cares?

Nothing conveys that primal rage like just tearing the fuck into an equally powerful enemy, banking on coagulation and shooting up to maintain your power - or will - to survive. I always say, "violent gaming" does not mean "gory gaming." There are incredibly gory games that are pifflingly paper-thin; Robocop vs Terminator on MD comes to mind - and I own that overpriced trinket! Diabolical black-lit 80s ultraviolence, worthy of Verhoeven's masterpiece action/satire - but nothing has oomph. Try using MURFEH's automelee punch, and have fun as the meatbag you're aiming to pulverise burns through your HP on contact damage. :lol:

Nice knowing you!
Spoiler

BB is bravura ultraviolence. All of Miyazaki's games have an exquisite sense of velocity and impact, topped off by keen stylistic nous - the compressed *RAWWRRR* accompanying DS1's screen-juddering ripostes and backstabs is such a treat - but BB's got rabid lycanthropic fury down to even its basest R1 chains. Actually, come to think of it, the game it reminds me of here is Final Fight; that popcorn-poppin' *BAP BAP BLAOW* often followed by the glassy crunch n' crash of your target going straight through the furniture.

Apropos the cosmic horror tragedy it steeps in, it's a real meeting of the lowest bestial lows and highest NeoVictorian highs. What terrible thing lurks within the frame of man? You're gonna find out, motherfucker, or die witnessing. Image

Sexy ultraviolent beastman Image

I exist only 2 fight (`w´メ)

To Far Away Times

Sima Tuna wrote:Bloodborne feels the more polished game overall, out of From's Souls games. The way I'd describe it is BB is the "best" Soulsborne game, if you remove nostalgia or personal preference. I can't think of any elements that seriously drag down the experience or need to be fixed. Weapon variety could have been an issue, but the DLC adds loads of them and the weapons are just so complex and satisfying to use. It's easy to forgive that minuscule gripe when the payoff is such a large moveset per weapon. Especially since each weapon counts as two and has transition attacks for switching forms.

Bloodborne is a pretty easy game (at least the main campaign,) which could be a major plus too. Depends who you ask. But the forgiving Regain mechanic and the early game power of some weapons/items (saw spear and fire ftw) definitely boost new players up. Most of the early bosses are pretty easy (except Gascgy, who is there to teach you to parry.) Bloodborne is a souls title that appeals strongly to both the mass market and TEH HARDCOREZ. Bloodborne also lacks a lot of the jank you'll find in Demon's Souls and DS2.

BB is a class act, all around. Can't think of anyone who played Bloodborne and came away disappointed. I still prefer Demon's Souls because I like the unique atmosphere of DeS. DeS swamp and latria are too cool.
Having played Demons's, Dark Souls 1 and 2, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring, the latter is my favorite, but I think Bloodborne could make a strong case for #2. It was just so fun to conquer that big ass map in Elden Ring, and how great the art style is at times. #2 probably comes down to Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne. I like the beginning of Dark Souls better, the area variety, and Dark Souls having more human sized bosses, but Bloodborne never has a drop in quality, it's just as good at the end as it is in the beginning, and maybe even peaks in the last few hours with some of the best levels and boss fights in the game. And the armor and weapons, despite there not being that many different sets, all look cool as fuck. It's definitely more swaggy than the other games. And being swaggy counts for a lot. I also appreciate how different it feels compared to the three souls games before it. I think it is better to make sequels that aren't just more of the same. And bloodborne builds on familiar ideas but also is also very much its own thing.
BIL wrote: I don't find the two games very comparable to begin with, though. Not on any level other than Miyazaki's fundamental rubric of "no cancels, flail and u gon get FUCC" (and at that level of abstraction, you might as well say Castlevania and Makaimura are similar).
You know on that note I would love to see FROM make a Castlevania game. The measured pace and difficulty of Dark Souls is about what I'd want in a 3D Castlevania, pop on a castlevania coat of paint, maybe have some music running the whole time instead of just boss battles, and you're pretty much there already.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

How do you feel about all the asset reuse in Chrono Trigger? :wink:
To Far Away Times

^^^

It happens in the best of 'em.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

To Far Away Times wrote:You know on that note I would love to see FROM make a Castlevania game. The measured pace and difficulty of Dark Souls is about what I'd want in a 3D Castlevania, pop on a castlevania coat of paint, maybe have some music running the whole time instead of just boss battles, and you're pretty much there already.
hey alright.

yknow. BB being easy? I don't think so. like..
DeS, DS1 are a damn sight easier. BB asks more of the player, combatwise.
DS2 i'd say is easier but the beginning is kind of brutal.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

I think Bloodborne is harder than any of the Souls games, but not by much. Once it clicks for you, the combat opens up. Nowadays I pretty much fight Gascoigne by spamming R1 at him and letting rally carry me until he transforms.

Regarding bosses, I do think the distribution is not ideal. Early on, you get Cleric Beast, Papa G, and Vicar Amelia, capped off by Shadows of Yharnam. All top-class violent death matches. Then the second half of the game is Rom, One Reborn, Micolash, and Wet Nurse. Two gimmick bosses, a remix of Tower Knight from Demon's, and a kinda generic boss that you circle strafe to death. I don't think they're bad bosses, well maybe Wet Nurse is bad lol, but none of them have the intensity of Gascoigne or Shadows. Then again, I think this is likely intentional with the cerebral turn the game takes after Shadows. The end bosses provide a suitably thrilling conclusion, and the DLC gives another set of new brutal duels so I can't complain.
To Far Away Times

Blinge wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:You know on that note I would love to see FROM make a Castlevania game. The measured pace and difficulty of Dark Souls is about what I'd want in a 3D Castlevania, pop on a castlevania coat of paint, maybe have some music running the whole time instead of just boss battles, and you're pretty much there already.
hey alright.

yknow. BB being easy? I don't think so. like..
DeS, DS1 are a damn sight easier. BB asks more of the player, combatwise.
DS2 i'd say is easier but the beginning is kind of brutal.
The hardest souls is the one you play first, I think. I don't mean the Bloodborne is significantly easier than Dark Souls. I think they're roughly the same difficulty. Bloodborne is alittle more obtuse because you can't block, but the game is designed around it.

Dark Souls 2 has the worst difficulty curve. Absolutely brutal in the beginning when you only have a few consumable healing items and no idea when you'll get more, and pretty trivial at the end when you can easily stock 99 of them from the town vendor. Any time you're not at max heath in the second half of Dark Souls 2, you just heal any time you can. I like the Estus Flask system much better.

Having 20 blood vials in bloodborne is a nice compromise between the two systems and pretty generous. I never really ran out. I would only die if I took a lot of damage very quickly.

Blood vial farming is kinda not fun though. If they ever do a remake, that's the first thing I'd change.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Right sorry let me stop you there

I'm trying to talk objectively as possible, like.. the game after multiple playthroughs even.
I don't really care about people's first experience

DeS was my first souls
DeS is the easiest one.

Edit: wait it was Sima who said BB is easy. fuck
Lander

Post by Lander »

Teashade sunglasses are the gentleman's hunting attire Image

And man, speaking of Castlevania, Bloodborne is what Lords of Shadow 2 should have been.

Such potential for a proper high-production 3D Dracula's Castle with all the horror trimmings and treacle-thick atmosphere, but nah instead you get some all-too-brief snifters of the idea with a bunch of car parks tossed in to pad out the remainder.

Bleh. Not even the legendary Sir Pat Stew Esq. could save that.
To Far Away Times

I actually liked Lords of Shadow 1 quite a bit. Not really that similar to Classicvania's or Metroidvania style games, but I thought it was sort of like God of War++ for its time. The art direction, character design, creature design, etc was stellar though. Enough to warrant a play through if nothing else.

Lords of Shadow 2 looked off from the previews. You could kinda tell it was going to be a disaster. One of those games that looks a bit sloppy with how its put together. Like the individual elements were made without thought put into the whole. If I recall right, there's chairs too big to sit in and cars to small to fit in. Like they made this stuff without thinking about the size of the player character. Comically oversized indoor areas and door frames so the camera doesn't get stuck. I hate that kind of stuff. I never played it, fearing it would trash the good memories I have of the first one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote:Teashade sunglasses are the gentleman's hunting attire Image
I'm blind as a bat IRL, so I rationalised 'em as ballistic shades :mrgreen: Don't wanna catch a shard of gravestone in yer peeper when Gazzer goes SSJ2, now that's horror :shock:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Lander wrote:Teashade sunglasses are the gentleman's hunting attire Image

And man, speaking of Castlevania, Bloodborne is what Lords of Shadow 2 should have been.

Such potential for a proper high-production 3D Dracula's Castle with all the horror trimmings and treacle-thick atmosphere, but nah instead you get some all-too-brief snifters of the idea with a bunch of car parks tossed in to pad out the remainder.

Bleh. Not even the legendary Sir Pat Stew Esq. could save that.
I remember popping that Lords of Shadow 2 disc in with such high hopes, and being crushed by the reality of what a shit game it was. Those goddamn stealth sections were criminal.
Edit: wait it was Sima who said BB is easy. fuck
Blinge mate, I'm just giving, like, my opinion man. DS1 is very easy too. I think Rally makes BB easier because mashing "attack" can salvage fights which would otherwise kill in a different Souls game. BB starts you with 20 vials. DS1 starts you with what, six I think? Sure, you have to farm vials, but the starting level of BB is a fantastic farming zone. Vials aren't as broken as lifegems in DS2, but they combo very nicely with the rally mechanic to keep newbs alive.

DeS is also pretty easy when you know about farming moongrass, but there are quite a few zones in Demon's Souls where fucking up ensures an instant death via falling or some other max damage punish. Healing items can't help with that.
Lander

Post by Lander »

To Far Away Times wrote:I actually liked Lords of Shadow 1 quite a bit. Not really that similar to Classicvania's or Metroidvania style games, but I thought it was sort of like God of War++ for its time. The art direction, character design, creature design, etc was stellar though. Enough to warrant a play through if nothing else.

Lords of Shadow 2 looked off from the previews. You could kinda tell it was going to be a disaster. One of those games that looks a bit sloppy with how its put together. Like the individual elements were made without thought put into the whole. If I recall right, there's chairs too big to sit in and cars to small to fit in. Like they made this stuff without thinking about the size of the player character. Comically oversized indoor areas and door frames so the camera doesn't get stuck. I hate that kind of stuff. I never played it, fearing it would trash the good memories I have of the first one.
Yeah, I appreciated Lords 1 for what it was as well; it's a very polished and cohesive game that still holds up well in a lot of ways, and a genuinely well-considered deployment of Picard.

Safe to say you made the right decision with Lords 2. That was my final lesson in not getting caught up on pre-release hype - too focused on how rad a sequel of the same quality could be to get critical about early warning signs, and the super polished demo was the ideal trojan horse to temporarily sweep any remaining doubts under the rug.

And yeah, the object scale and overall design was completely out of whack for the city areas. The castle itself and its denizens were on par with the original, but criminally underused in comparison to the shoddy cyberpunk content.
The combat was a letdown too; seemingly fresh at first, with nicer animation and the light / dark powers getting their own distinct weapons, but in practical terms it all boiled down to the same moveset plus one or two extras at the end of the upgrade tree.

And gawd, the ending. Pulling a Square and making players buy a DS game to get the full picture was a dick move to begin with, so you'd think they'd pay off the macguffin and conclude with a nice meaty revelation.
Spoiler
Having beaten up Satan (again) in a climactic father-son tag team fight, Gabe finally acquires the titular Mirror of Fate.
He stares into it, and Alucard asks "what do you see?"
Crushing the mirror in his fist, Gabe turns to the camera and replies "We were the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 all along."
Cue up some buttrock, and roll credits.

(He actually says "we make our own fate" or some similarly fuck-it-who-cares nonsense. The rest is all true :()
BIL wrote:I'm blind as a bat IRL, so I rationalised 'em as ballistic shades :mrgreen: Don't wanna catch a shard of gravestone in yer peeper when Gazzer goes SSJ2, now that's horror :shock:
Beyond cool factor, I consider them a handy way to hide the window to one's soul(s) from the weirdo ne'er-do-wells inevitably strewn across any good From world :lol: optimal optics be damned, bastards'll have to extract that shit via gribbly proboscis if they want it badly enough!
Sima Tuna wrote:Those goddamn stealth sections were criminal.
I remember the reviews tearing it a deserved new one for those :lol:

Dracula, Lord of Darkness, manifestation of all the evil in mankind's heart, and final boss of a whole franchise, reduced to instant death sneaking sections. The shame of it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Waist deep in blood and entrails again.

I wound up going with a Cainhurst build - Reiterpallasch and Evelyn. A gnarly one two punch.

Normal modes r1 r1 r1 r1 is solid. R2 is a great poke. Tricked r1 can stun lock motherfuckers. That isn't the real fun though. That comes from r1 l1. A quick stab followed by a bullet to the face. A lot of enemies, particularly human sized ones, will try and counter after the r1 resulting in a stagger. From there you can visceral or if you've bone ashed your other gun you can shoot them for extra damage.

Just finished Cainhurst - Marty took me a four tries, but I curb stomped him on that fourth try. Next boss gonna be Ludwig.
My lord, I have come for you.