From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:You think the dust is your ally? I was born in the dust, molded by it
Image Image
Blinge wrote:It was literally this one side courtyard i walked into that's got me HOT for Yharnam again..
Nice joint Image Sure would be a shame, if something... ineffable happened to it... Image

Teh Auld HOONTERS ver Image Image
Spoiler

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh shit message and video deleted because ds3 spoilers for birru >_<

but yes, burn it all down.
I saw some meme a while back about upper ward that made me crease..
" Yo.. make this N**** a squid "
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Much obliged my ginga Image Image I'll make myself scarce - I'm probably gonna just play the PS4 one this coming month, tbh. Perfect timing (holidays, long nights) and my BBoner remains stubbornly turgid despite... TEH FRAMEZ (x3 FRC hemwitches with x9 MAD_1s? now that's a WITCH TYME son! Image).

EDIT: oh lmao. I knew I'd kept this glyph around, at the DICK-SHAPED headstone.

PRESS X 2 KNEEL B4 DICK (`w´メ)

Silly randomiser plonked like six OBLIVION HERBZ in on spot for NAM FLASHBACK SLOWMO :shock: Image Only seen it 1 TYME Image

I figure I can just replay DS3 @ 60fps whenever. Unless I don't want to replay it, which would surprise me, but that'd work out too! I'll save Sekiro for then, you know I take ninja matters especially serious. Image

I was thinking of photo-collaging a few other places with UCW (and its spiritual DLC sequel Research Hall) chief among 'em. Squids abound! Decided lack of poignant/soulful/scurreh memos lying about, but I like the theory that those blue-eyed wolves are what remains of the higher-ups Alfy suggested you consult with. Picture it, a fat flabby Il Popo motherfucker swinging from that chandelier, w/ he tiny knob just about discernible from ground level!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

DS3 60FPS? I thought PS4 pro did that.

but did they release it on PS5 or something?

hahaha oh fuck, BIRRU.. how many of your vids have had captions on? have I been missing cuntent!?!
So you've just been generating FRC chalices and running them? for funsies? Or to get swag gear?

Also I hear w33d smoek affects u more in 30 FPS, it's a more cinematic high
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

btw that's some good fuckin' photoshop man holy hell.. wish i could do that
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:DS3 60FPS? I thought PS4 pro did that.

but did they release it on PS5 or something?
Totally forgot about PS4 Pro! I mght look into that instead, with PS5s being bizarrely hard to find atm. As for PS5, it apparently just uncaps the existing PS4 versions of DS3 and Sekiro, and Elden Ring, for 60fps. I always thought it was M2 or Hamster or Nasume that'd get me to pick up another console, heh.
hahaha oh fuck, BIRRU.. how many of your vids have had captions on? have I been missing cuntent!?!
Nah just a couple (this and the old DS1 Darkroot 4v1 man-on-man). If there's captions, I'll always hardcode 'em on (put " yt:cc=on " in the tags). Special occasions. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and Hellkite on Drugs aka The Super Combat Technique - how'd I forget that one? :shock:
So you've just been generating FRC chalices and running them? for funsies? Or to get swag gear?
Kinda both tbh; they're great for getting used to new weapons, and practicing their handful of exclusive bosses, and of course, errehbody love that Vegas slots +27ATK action. Image Pthumie Gramps & Junior, Doggy, Bloody, and Bloody (Won't Give Head) all used to have me pounding vials 2 survive. Enjoyed getting 'em a bit more presentable. I'd really ignored a lot of BB's content, or I guess just never got around to it, with the game (and Neu-From in general) being just over a year old from my perspective, so there's plenty left to enjoy.
btw that's some good fuckin' photoshop man holy hell.. wish i could do that
Haha, thanks. :mrgreen: I can't draw for shit, so collaging in paint.net is the next-best thng. That's Ol' Yharny for you, a bleak enigma on par with Silent Hill 1 and 2's misty tahn. If there's ever a spiritual sequel to BB, I hope they keep to this smaller-scale citadel detail, only with way more interiors to explore. Some for optional progression, some for loot or lore, and some just to realise a sense of place.

I like to think Old Yharny as we see it is on war footing (what with us ignoring a blatant "do not trespass" warning to get in). That is, all able-bodied adults at battle stations, with Djura and Djura Bro chipping in. "You are a skilled hunter," says Gramps, "unlike all these cosplaying jagoffs we've strung up lately" my favoured inference. When the old feller says "They're people," I imagine there's an entire primeval society out of sight, peering from the buildings and underground tunnels. There are no rats or dogs to be found in OY - probably good eatin'. especially if human allies like Djura share curing and preservation methods. There's a nice water supply down below, too.

There's a lot of compelling fleshing-out to be done, without compromising either the ellipsis of good cosmic horror, or almost arcade-tight world design of BB. Beyond the nice but mostly symbolic truce you can make with the remaining Kegs, I'd like a scenario where you could elect to become an outright Muad'dib of Beasthood, or (the necessary other side of the coin) a truly disturbing cleanser of them. Djura's Other Bro, in Hunter's Nightmare, I remember trying to get him to fight Mini Marv (MM will fight anything that's not a beast). No dice. "Of cooourse!" I thought in my best Mico voice, as artillery fire rained down and the moshpit gangbanged me into a fine pink mist. "He's standing between you and the beasts." "A hunter with your sanity, hmm..."

Ah anyway. BB2 pls Miyazaki, but NAHT until u want 2 - don't want to see this charmingly orrid tahn and its infinite nightscape go the way of me beloved SH, a once-proud bastion of Weird VG Fiction run ragged by soulless bean-counters and cut-price cunts 3;
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I want BB2 set in an arabian cityscape. Ailing Loran

Make it happen :(((

I'm imagining a cutscene where loads of hapless believes are kneeing down for something akin to friday prayers until the beast contagion rips through them. The panicked mob tries to escape the mosque-looking building as more people are sucked in, and the boss starts to take form... just as Al Huntaab shows up to cleanse the filth.

No one would ever get away with making that, but a man can dream.
I think i've posted this wish too many times
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Al Huntaab
Ah, shit. :mrgreen: Imagine the fashion souls. I'm thinking Silat, Rakshas, Peter O'Toole's Lawrence of Arabia... I know the former two are more Asiatic, but it's not like Miyazaki doesn't love his Eastern imports (or Yorkshire/Oirish ones... how I smile at those occasional theories re: "Beasts all over the shop" - "I BET GAZ USED 2 DREAM AN STOLE TEH TOOL" nah mate he's a paddy that's all! oh shi - BB2 in Not Northern Oirland :shock:)

Would open up some nice HPL riffs too, y'know, The Mad Arab, the Pillars of Irem, the Book of Dead Names and all.

In a sane world, the Healing Church (or its equivalent) would simply be subverters of the Lorish faith, much as BB has a facsimile of Victorian Christendom warped by eldritch presence. But yeah, I'm sure you're right - problematic! :lol: To be honest, I wonder if a theoretical BB remake wouldn't need its glorious BLAHD toned down. I hope the fuck not. Maybe the lack of dismember/decap mechanics will save us, Japan seems to get extra-hinky at those.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

" I'm not racist, BUT.. I want islam Blood(borne) " - Blinge 2022, and every other year.

U kno i'm not sure if i agree on victorian christendom so much. I dont see the healing church as protestant.
.. The high mass, the blood magic ritual.. holy blood..
It's all super catholic to me!

maybe it was oireland all along
BIL

Post by BIL »

True, it's kind of a mashup of Victorian London and the Vatican. Lots of crossed wires, like the HC's use of "Vicar," and Gaz's kit text specifying that "Father" is a term foreign to Yharnam... I like the implication that Yhorkshire (presumably where Eileen and Valtyr hail from - "hoonter" "CROOSHED") regards Yharnam/London as "blasphemous" (Crowfeather garb text). :lol:

BTW cheers 4 new PS4 wallpaper, will treasure it forever :cool: :mrgreen:

Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

BIL wrote:To be honest, I wonder if a theoretical BB remake wouldn't need its glorious BLAHD toned down. I hope the fuck not. Maybe the lack of dismember/decap mechanics will save us, Japan seems to get extra-hinky at those.
I dunno, the Resident Evil remakes are an absolute cavalcade of flying limbs and exploding heads, truly some glorious stuff there! Most of the death scenes involve vital bits being bitten out of your character while they're still alive and screaming, it's fucking dope as shit. If this is the toned-down version, I don't even know what they would have cut out. The engine makes everything look fantastic, especially compared to an older game like BB.

Poor Jill basically gets tentacle raped at one point, too, although they don't seem to care nearly as much about that sort of thing as the gore.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

True, maybe nature has healed itself? RE4 infamously lost its headsplosions in Japan, and Ninja Gaiden II likewise, now those are some war crimes they can't brush under the rug :evil:

I suppose I'm jumpy after going from DS1 Remastered (nice n' bloody!) to DS2 SOTFS (the fuck is this weak shit :shock:). Reminded me of going from Quake 1 (*BOOM* blood rainbows and bouncin' gibs) to Quake 2 (what happened), although I think that was just shite direction in id's part rather than censorship, given Q2 was pretty fucked otherwise.

Now here's the stuff. Image

"Excuse me sir, do you have a minute to talk about our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ?"

^^^ Anyone else think that one forest hunter dude looks uncannily like King Of Scrubs DSP? I'd almost think it was an inside joke on the ol' pigroach. Then again, as a connoisseur of internet laughingstocks, I sometimes overestimate his notoriety. :cool:

DS2 do got those superb club beatdowns, admittedly. Image A brain-wronging rabbit shot to put em on their knees, then the brainbox-caving coup de grace, owch! Never got old.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Ah, Quake 1 and the satisfying kkrickshplatGLAUB that accompanies the conversion of a zombie into chunky salsa. Kingly gibbitude.

The HD / 4K era has much to answer for on the gore front. All that money thrown into giving game artists meat PTSD so they can lovingly render the realistic opening of a man's throat for the latest Call of Duty Tier One Operator Ops title, when the real answer is and always was full-tilt Kenshiro bloodsplosions that leave suspension of disbelief - and any accompanything censorship handwringing - as a distant dot on the horizon.

And DarkSydeForrest was clearly too busy whacking one out offscreen to be ready for that surprise ripostal dentistry. First time I've seen that Living Failures edit too, mwah :lol: :lol: :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote:Ah, Quake 1 and the satisfying kkrickshplatGLAUB that accompanies the conversion of a zombie into chunky salsa. Kingly gibbitude.
I know right :o The sounds of VG VIOLENCE VALHALLA Image Consistent, yet explosive and indescribable!
Call of Duty Tier One Operator Ops
:cool:
And DarkSydeForrest was clearly too busy whacking one out offscreen to be ready for that surprise ripostal dentistry. First time I've seen that Living Failures edit too, mwah :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahh, a fellow DSP adept! I bet an industrious soul could patch in a "Cam's still on, huh?" sample for that particular forest friend's parried SFX. Ludwig World Order is a treasure, happy to have shared! :mrgreen:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Not for birru's eyes (DS3)

but a certain nameless boss got fucking toasted

https://youtu.be/Npqz4HjJVEw
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:Not for birru's eyes (DS3)

but a certain nameless boss got fucking toasted

https://youtu.be/Npqz4HjJVEw
You were dealing some HUGE damage here.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Black flame is some serious shizzit.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You're tellin' me!

look what happened to a certain red-hooded knight
https://youtu.be/sGfKF9ypI2w
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

My final thoughts on Pyro build was that caster builds fuck DeS and DS1 into oblivion.. they make the game so much easier it's insane.

DS3's nerfs over the ages and generally how aggressive enemies are + the midrange, slow moving nature of pyromancy kept it fun and engaging the whole time.
I felt like pyro didn't break the game, and my character being less hardy helped to balance it out. I felt like my agile but still bruiser Gsword build from my initial playthrough was probably a bit easier, or equal.

Yeah I shared a video of me annihilating Nameless King with black flame but I felt like it was necessary for that build to use every advantage it possibly could to get through the game.
Fun facts
Champ Gunny took 1 attempt
Nameless King 3
Oceiros? more than 10

I've seen claims that DS3 fucks casters over and that melee is the definitive way/ only viable option for playing the game anymore. I haven't tried sorcery but it seems Pyro builds are evidence against.

tl;dr Pyro gud. Fun.

In other news - I've started Armored Core (psx)
man i'm TERRIBLE. i'm almost broke, after a few missions I've maybe managed to buy 1 gun upgrade and that's it.
I don't wanna look up build guides just yet but the customisation, robot fiddling etc doesn't really appeal to me.

If anyone wants to give me some tips I'd be much obliged.
Lander

Post by Lander »

BIL wrote:Ahh, a fellow DSP adept! I bet an industrious soul could patch in a "Cam's still on, huh?" sample for that particular forest friend's parried SFX.
Thank you, you fucking worthless undead... for the humanity! :x
Blinge wrote:tl;dr Pyro gud. Fun.

In other news - I've started Armored Core (psx)
man i'm TERRIBLE. i'm almost broke, after a few missions I've maybe managed to buy 1 gun upgrade and that's it.
I don't wanna look up build guides just yet but the customisation, robot fiddling etc doesn't really appeal to me.

If anyone wants to give me some tips I'd be much obliged.
I'm never without my red cheeto hand in DS1, shit's just too good of a proposition given the low buy-in to high payoff. I need to go all in and actually seek out all the spells next time I run it - I seem to fall into a spellsword local minima of Fireball / Bigger Fireball / Evenbiggerfireball most of the time, undeniably effective as it may be.

Classic Armored Core is deep into hard-as-fuck savescum territory, so what you're seeing sounds like a regular first run. If memory serves the trick to AC1 is to go broke and game over; once the game has had its fun slapping you around, you can continue off that file and unlock some difficulty-normalizing equippables that trade off that useless humanity and hardwire you to the mech for more efficient piloting.
Nice bit of posthumanist theming from From there - you can try to get ahead as a regular carbon-based meatbag, but you'll suffer for it. Embrace the new flesh 8)

Speaking of AC, I hope they backtrack from 5's squad-based rescale for this rumored new entry. I always had the most fun with the batshit insane box-dodging madness of For Answer (ye gods cap she cannae take much more), but I'd take a return to the more classic style. Perhaps with some QoL enhancements to offset the shitpushening, since that's traditional at this point.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Blinge wrote:I've seen claims that DS3 fucks casters over and that melee is the definitive way/ only viable option for playing the game anymore. I haven't tried sorcery but it seems Pyro builds are evidence against.
Before you even consider using magic you have to reduce your number of Estus flasks by something like 1/3 to 1/2. The scaling numbers are such that you have to invest heavily in stats to see worthwhile returns, further reducing your HP and stamina compared to an equivalent melee character. Spells also have low base damage in DS3, making earlygame magic basically worthless until you invest stats. Melee characters have access to crossbows, which may not deal as much raw dps as magic, but make up for it by having no cost whatsoever in either stat points or Estus, and enjoy much faster cast times than magic as well as greater range and better aim. An equivalently levelled melee character will just be better than a magic character at everything, while having 3x as much HP. Then there's the FP system which kills spell variety. A Sorcerer in DS3 has no reason to use any spell besides Great Soul Arrow and Crystal Soul Spear. Pyromancy having eight different spells that are all "throw an exploding fireball" made some degree of sense in DS1/2, but is completely pointless and moronic in DS3. One of many examples of DS3 devs being lazy as hell.

Generally, I think the Souls magic system is very bad and unfun, so fucking casters over is the least of my DS3 complaints. However, it does contribute to the problem of DS3 having no real playstyle variety, which is one of the major DS3 complaints.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Armored Core 3 is my favorite AC game. AC1 is brutally difficult and I can't recommend it as a first toe-dip into the franchise. AC3 is much easier. AC3 into Silent Line and Last Raven makes for a perfect combo of beautiful hardcore mecha action.
Lander

Post by Lander »

AC3 is definitely where the series hit its stride. The PSP remaster is quite nice too, though trades off 60FPS for its improvements which muddles the question of which is the best version to revisit.

2 has an interesting flavour of its own as well, but is still squarely in nipple clamps territory re. difficulty.

And boy, the side titles. Silent Line, Last Raven - hardcore AC for the hardest core of players. Forcing pilots to import their top-tier mechs from the base game to stand a fighting chance is a heck of a brave proposition for an expansion title, though i suppose a smart solution to power progression if the playerbase can hack it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's not my first toe-dip. I've beaten AC For Answer, didn't enjoy it much.. and never felt like I was getting any better at it.

as for Pyro in Ds3.. the Profaned Flame spell was pretty cool.. i know it's an exploding fireball but the whole fire appearing out of nowhere at a really specific range was nifty. Causes hard knockdown on most enemies too!

Boulder Toss was jokes - instant guardbreaker for most foes. and stuns others easily.

The command grab pyro where you put a fire inside them then blow them up in an animation was fun to play around with. Not exactly viable for hordes of enemies or anything big, but still a bit of variety.

Jack I see your point but I see that stuff as necessary balancing vs the fact that casters can literally walk back and shoot with impunity for most of DS1+2.

melee characters can use crossbows? well.. I've never done that, but if a melee-er can, then a magic user also can?
(realtalk a melee character using a cross/bow ever is some pussy shit)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lander wrote: If memory serves the trick to AC1 is to go broke and game over; once the game has had its fun slapping you around, you can continue off that file and unlock some difficulty-normalizing equippables that trade off that useless humanity and hardwire you to the mech for more efficient piloting.
Nice bit of posthumanist theming from From there - you can try to get ahead as a regular carbon-based meatbag, but you'll suffer for it. Embrace the new flesh 8)
What, like actually die in game?
Is that what counts as a game over?
I've only failed one mission in about 8 sorties so far - saving the tanker mission. 2 enemies spawn in and instantly blow it, i have no idea how to stop them.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Blinge wrote:What, like actually die in game?
Is that what counts as a game over?
I've only failed one mission in about 8 sorties so far - saving the tanker mission. 2 enemies spawn in and instantly blow it, i have no idea how to stop them.
Fail missions, overspend, and generally crash your bank account so deep into the red that the G-Men show up to kidnap that broke ass for spares after your next mission fail.

I'm not kidding. And you can do it a bunch of times - six for the full man / machine integration experience that comes with some pretty hefty usability upgrades. Though it'll also reset your mission progress, so best to do them all at once if you're going for it.

And those missions are hard gear checks i think - you've got to spec around them to pull off the initial rushdown and survive after, and tough titty if you don't have the equipment to get in and / or outrange. It's been a while, but I remember AC2 still having those kind of "you expect me to do what this early in the game?" situations - I think I just took the losses or reloaded and put it down to the setting being mad harsh :?
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Blinge wrote:casters can literally walk back and shoot with impunity for most of DS1+2.
They can in DS3 too, it's one of the reasons I hate the Souls magic system, it's very very boring. "Walk back and shoot with impunity" pretty much sums up magic in Souls games, lol.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

https://youtu.be/YRyRv0bwH2o

Finally.
Armored Core 6.
jehu

Post by jehu »

kid aphex wrote:https://youtu.be/YRyRv0bwH2o

Finally.
Armored Core 6.
Phew, this might be the thing to push me into next-gen. Stunning trailer.

I played Armored Core 4 to death, tried to convince a few friends to buy it (in vain). The game that got me to preorder Demon's Souls coming out the next year.

The benefits of being a massive budget studio are already bearing their fruits. Hope they go all out on it.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Indeed. I need current gen hardware.