Best version of MAME right now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Best version of MAME right now?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm still using a REALLY old build of MAME, as I find the program to be a little frustrating.
I want to update, and I know there's a few variations. I definitely want one with a UI. Are there any with lower lag than
others?
The easier the better.
I still use ShmupMAME for shooters, so don't really put that too much into consideration.

What's the best version of MAME, currently?
Dochartaigh

Re: Best version of MAME right now?

Post by Dochartaigh »

Want to tell us a bit about your PC (processor and video card, and how you output video) and what screen/TV/monitor you're using?

On my PC I use GroovyMAME for CRT use (although I think there's a LCD-specific version too? -never tried), but it has the same old crappy pretty much text-only (with some coloring) menu system which I dislike. There's all sorts of fancy-looking front ends you can add though (although last time I tried -'Big Blue' I want to say?- I got lost in all the setup if I'm to be honest). GroovyMAME comes out pretty much ever MAME release so it can use whatever version - just match them up correctly (newest is usually better although they can sometimes brick a certain game you like then might have to roll-back for that certain game).

You can run RetroArch or something which can give you nice game artwork, short game description (and developer, how many players, year, developer, etc) – again, after it's setup. Hyperspin, Lakka, Batocera, etc. etc. can get super fancy with flying wheels and full video previews, intro videos, etc.

People like run-ahead to limit lag as well - can get down to CRT level low-lag on a decent modern LCD monitor they say (haven't tried this much). Can be very processor intensive though. I believe MAME still is almost entirely run on the CPU, not using graphics card much (I was using an older dual 3.9ghz or something processor and it was choking... upgraded to an i7 7700 and it's been perfect).

Other MAME alternatives too aplenty. On my lower powered Raspberry Pi 4 I use FB Neo (used to be Final Burn Alpha) for most games, with mame2003-plus for a few stragglers. There's shump-only MAME's like you said, Fightcade for fighting games, etc. etc.

*P.S. I haven't tried revamping my system with newer stuff for maybe 2 years so my info might be a little bit outdated.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

How's the input lag on the Fighting game MAME?

Any lower lag Neo-Geo emulators?

I'm running these on my desktop, so my processor and whatnot is pretty weak.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I want to update, and I know there's a few variations. I definitely want one with a UI. Are there any with lower lag than
others?
99% of the time, the best version of MAME is going to be the latest version of the standard release from mamedev.org. If you're using a CRT, then the latest version of GroovyMAME will be better. Other 'variations' are largely crap for bargain-bin SBC handhelds and not really worth mentioning aside from HBMAME, which is MAME for homebrew games (and even then, how many homebrew arcade games have you heard of?).

Standard MAME has had a UI for years now. Just grab the latest set (currently 0.249) and pull whatever you need from the latest romset (also labeled 0.249, though older ROMs should work for most popular games). Enable the 'lowlatency' flag in your mame.ini and you should be good to go.

Anything that doesn't run at full speed in MAME is ideally played in FinalBurn Neo or on an emulator for a different console (e. g. DuckStation for ZN and System 22 games that were ported to the PlayStation).

What about MAME has been giving you so much trouble?
evil_ash_xero wrote:How's the input lag on the Fighting game MAME?
Fightcade isn't a "Fighting game MAME". It's Final Burn Alpha with online multiplayer.
evil_ash_xero wrote:Any lower lag Neo-Geo emulators?
If you're tech-savvy, the MiSTer might offer lower latency, but given what you've told us I doubt you'll want to bother with something so involved.

RetroArch
Is a huge pain in the ass and the opposite of easy.
run-ahead
Is a shitty hack that breaks games if you set the value too high.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Thanks for the... advice... :lol: More like info, I'd say. I did settle on a couple variants.

What's the most important thing to me is latency, but it seems like that's a "given", except in shmupMAME (although they never did get that Raizing thing sorted out).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

If you're looking for a UI to use with GroovyMAME I'd suggest this: https://emuloader.mameworld.info/
This is also good if you want something with a UI that only focuses on arcade games: https://arcade.mameworld.info/
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Udderdude wrote:This is also good if you want something with a UI that only focuses on arcade games: https://arcade.mameworld.info/
Seconding this, ARCADE64 is lightweight and no more MUH FRUIT MACHINES thank god. Good UI too.

These days I have current MAME build through ARCADE64, ShmupMAME 4.2, and MAME32Plus!Plus 0.119 (this one is more of for nostalgia's sake, because this version was my first gate to arcade stuff, shmups, and retro games in general). ShmupMAME to me is still the best way to play Cave PGM, Toaplan 2, Psikyos, and CPS1-2 I think they have lower lag than any of mame version I tried.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

copy-paster wrote:
Udderdude wrote:This is also good if you want something with a UI that only focuses on arcade games: https://arcade.mameworld.info/
Seconding this, ARCADE64 is lightweight and no more MUH FRUIT MACHINES thank god. Good UI too.
That's the one I settled on. I still use ShmupMAME, but for everything else, I'm using that. It seems to have picked up where MAMEIUFX left off.