Sega IP you would wish to comeback

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Gamer707b

Re: Sega IP you would wish to comeback

Post by Gamer707b »

This topic is near and dear to me. I grew up in the 80s playing Sega at the arcades, then got a Master System in elementary school. I think it was me and maybe 2 or 3 other kids that had one.

Anyway, to the topic. For me, I'd say a REAL offline Phantasy Star V, Skies of Arcadia, a new or Remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga, 2D Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Space Harrier ( remember playing the deluxe version at the arcades ) Outrun. I'm sure there are more, but this is at the top of my head. Sega just has some amazing IPs and memories that can only be rivaled by Nintendo. So much variety from arcade games to rpgs and everything in between.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Okay, found it. Posted like three years ago

This past spring, I had a crazy, lucid dream that I was playing the new Space Harrier released for the current gen (in the dream, I was playing on a Xbone), and it was pretty incredible.

It was like the original Space Harrier, but sported a huge open world (we're talking you could travel to different freaking planets), and do a large variety of crazy quests that all pretty much involved running, flying, and shooting--but also involved all manner of insane monsters like these giant turtles that could retreat into their shells to become indestructible. You could also ride the cyclopsed elephant and the huge robot from the original's splash screen, buy different sets of armor, weapons, etc, speed through these intergalactic cities blowing the shit out of everything, summon a dragon... It was seriously the best.

Then I woke...

It was one of those things where I thought the dream was a reality for like the first six or seven minutes that I was up, and was all "Man, I don't want to go to work, I just want to play Space Harrier all day. Maybe I could call out..."
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Okay, found it. Posted like three years ago

This past spring, I had a crazy, lucid dream that I was playing the new Space Harrier released for the current gen (in the dream, I was playing on a Xbone), and it was pretty incredible.

It was like the original Space Harrier, but sported a huge open world (we're talking you could travel to different freaking planets), and do a large variety of crazy quests that all pretty much involved running, flying, and shooting--but also involved all manner of insane monsters like these giant turtles that could retreat into their shells to become indestructible. You could also ride the cyclopsed elephant and the huge robot from the original's splash screen, buy different sets of armor, weapons, etc, speed through these intergalactic cities blowing the shit out of everything, summon a dragon... It was seriously the best.

Then I woke...

It was one of those things where I thought the dream was a reality for like the first six or seven minutes that I was up, and was all "Man, I don't want to go to work, I just want to play Space Harrier all day. Maybe I could call out..."
If this is an actual dream you had, then that's awesome! I would love to have that kind of dream. Only bad thing is when I have a really good dream, is when I wake up, I get pissed when I realize it was only a dream. lol
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Gamer707b wrote:
If this is an actual dream you had, then that's awesome! I would love to have that kind of dream. Only bad thing is when I have a really good dream, is when I wake up, I get pissed when I realize it was only a dream. lol

Yeah, I was angry.
The oddest part is usually when I have a dream about a non-existent video game, there's always an aspect that's 'impossible' about it. Be it photo-realistic, or just having some gameplay element that simply wouldn't work with today's hardware. However, in my 'nu-Space Harrier' dream, everything seemed like a game that could actually exist on the Xbox.

It was because of this that I held out hope it was actually a 'vision' rather than a 'dream'. But, it's now been over three years and my vision has still not come to fruition.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

S
E
G
A

R
A
L
L
Y

This game remains sheer perfection. The Dreamcast version of the sequel didn't quite hit the same heights, and I think the 3 games that came after may have just been collective hallucinations...Sega Rally 3/Online was delisted a decade ago.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Burning Rangers.

Actually, I just want emulation to fix it or a native PC port. All it needs is a stable frame rate and to not eat inputs. I don't really mind the aggressive geometry clipping but I suppose I'd be open to the idea of an enhancement where it's more conservative.

I absolutely do not want new 3D models or textures or a higher resolution. I hate remasters of this sort for 5th gen games.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

After Burner.
Nuff said.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sengoku Strider wrote:The Dreamcast version of the sequel didn't quite hit the same heights, and I think the 3 games that came after may have just been collective hallucinations...
But did you play 2006 tho.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sumez wrote:It's kinda sad how Camelot have been stuck just making Mario Golf games for decades now.
I get this feeling they actually choose to do Mario sports games time and time again. Likewise, I'm pretty sure Picross is Jupiter constantly begging Nintendo to let them do another. I bet there are all kinds of games, likely some in this thread, that are endlessly being campaigned for at their respective developers.

edit: Did not mean to double post, my apologies.
Last edited by Despatche on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Despatche wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:The Dreamcast version of the sequel didn't quite hit the same heights, and I think the 3 games that came after may have just been collective hallucinations...
Amazing game, absolutely loved it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sengoku Strider

Despatche wrote:
Of course not. Like I said they were collective hallucinations.

I did play Rally 2 again over the weekend for the first time in years though. In hindsight the criticisms it got seem kind of irrelevant. A couple of frame rate drops, or using a code that gives you stable FPS in exchange for less trackside detail in a game whose visual standard has long since been surpassed anyway. Meanwhile it gives you like 5x as many cars and 10x as many tracks and a career mode and more everything else.
Marc wrote:
Despatche wrote:But did you play 2006 tho.
Amazing game, absolutely loved it.
Marc is a hallucination.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Meanwhile it gives you like 5x as many cars and 10x as many tracks and a career mode and more everything else.
This is true but the handling's (and the game) nowhere near as much fun as OG Rally.
Sengoku Strider

sunnshiner wrote:
Meanwhile it gives you like 5x as many cars and 10x as many tracks and a career mode and more everything else.
This is true but the handling's (and the game) nowhere near as much fun as OG Rally.
Playing them back to back I really can't tell much of a difference. There are so many variations on cars and ways to tune the handling that you should find something to your liking if you dig around. I do seem to like it better with digital dpad steering than analog stick though. I don't have a Dreamcast racing wheel yet, so I can't comment there.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sumez wrote:It's kinda sad how Camelot have been stuck just making Mario Golf games for decades now. I'd love to see them make a follow-up to Shining Force even if it has a different name.
At least the Mario Golf games are pretty good, but that's kind of the problem. Just about everything Camelot makes is good, they're like a mirror version of Squaresoft's mobile division.

But Golden Sun tuckered them out and at this elderly age, I guess they don't have it in them to take the risk in investing in another RPG. Their attitude during the three Shining Force 3 games: "This will never make enough money. It's for the fans." was very laudable.
it290

Post by it290 »

Sengoku Strider wrote: I did play Rally 2 again over the weekend for the first time in years though. In hindsight the criticisms it got seem kind of irrelevant. A couple of frame rate drops, or using a code that gives you stable FPS in exchange for less trackside detail in a game whose visual standard has long since been surpassed anyway. Meanwhile it gives you like 5x as many cars and 10x as many tracks and a career mode and more everything else.
At this point I just play the arcade version via emulation (which handles superbly), but I played the crap out of the DC version back in the day and never knew about that code. Wish I'd known about it back then! I'll have to give it a try now. I tend to agree that it's a really good game, although I think the criticisms are somewhat valid in terms of historical context because DC users were getting spoiled with flawless Naomi ports, so the somewhat janky Model 3 ports like Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Fighter 3 just always felt like the odd men out in comparison.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

That thing with the code in SR2 should have just been an option in the game though, either solid 30FPS with detail or 60FPS with minimal detail. It's the slowdowns through corners that really mar the game for me.

I know, could/would/should. Hindsight's 20/20, isn't it :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

it290 wrote:I think the criticisms are somewhat valid in terms of historical context because DC users were getting spoiled with flawless Naomi ports, so the somewhat janky Model 3 ports like Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Fighter 3 just always felt like the odd men out in comparison.
At least VF3TB still runs at a smooth framerate and wasn't made in Windows CE.

Edit: I read somewhere that Sega Rally 2 DC was a last minute PC port? How does the PC version run?
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

BrianC wrote:
it290 wrote:I think the criticisms are somewhat valid in terms of historical context because DC users were getting spoiled with flawless Naomi ports, so the somewhat janky Model 3 ports like Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Fighter 3 just always felt like the odd men out in comparison.
At least VF3TB still runs at a smooth framerate and wasn't made in Windows CE.

Edit: I read somewhere that Sega Rally 2 DC was a last minute PC port? How does the PC version run?
Solid 60FPS apparently-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipZO6n_CvU

I haven't played the PC version but it's something I'm going to look into now.
Sengoku Strider

BrianC wrote:Edit: I read somewhere that Sega Rally 2 DC was a last minute PC port?
That sounds off, considering the initial Dreamcast release was January 1999 in Japan, while the PC version didn't hit until June of that year.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BrianC wrote:Edit: I read somewhere that Sega Rally 2 DC was a last minute PC port?
That sounds off, considering the initial Dreamcast release was January 1999 in Japan, while the PC version didn't hit until June of that year.
Yeah, not sure on that info and I don't remember where I read it.
Sengoku Strider

BrianC wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Yeah, not sure on that info and I don't remember where I read it.
Somebody might've just read "built on Windows CE" and assumed that meant it was a port or something.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

DC Virtua Cop 2 was a port of the PC version, might that be what you're thinking of?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

sunnshiner wrote:DC Virtua Cop 2 was a port of the PC version, might that be what you're thinking of?
No. This was actually something written on a site and it mentioned that Sega Rally 2 was one of the first ports to Dreamcast. Claimed that Sega Rally 2 was a port of the PC version because the first attempt to port it was unsuccessful, which does sound a bit off. It wasn't mentioned elsewhere. Found it in a search engine while searching for info on windows ce.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I would love to see a revival of ESWAT: City Under Siege.
The setting had so much potential. I could see it working as either a classic stage-based game, or even turning it into a "metroidvania".

Shinobi is also in need of a serious revival. How has SEGA forgotten about such a previously high profile IP?
Bring on Yuzo Koshiro again for the soundtrack, and get it done!

Additionally, like many have mentioned already, it's a crime we haven't gotten a new Jet Set Radio game in decades.
This industry is in serious need of bright, colourful, creative games, like Jet Set Radio.

If I was at SEGA, I would have a small team of vets that worked on older console and arcade titles, and have them work on reviving many of these older arcade-ish games for the digital markets.
Price them affordably at $15/€15, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one running to buy them.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FunktionJCB wrote: If I was at SEGA, I would have a small team of vets that worked on older console and arcade titles, and have them work on reviving many of these older arcade-ish games for the digital markets.
Price them affordably at $15/€15, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one running to buy them.
How many vets does Sega have left? Some big names like Yu Suzuki have left and, despite having key staff that worked on Fantasy Zone and Sonic, Artoon/Arzest's output has been mixed. Some of the best revivals of older Sega titles have come from M2. System 16 FZII and its 3DS port are good stuff. Super Monkey Ball had a revival of sorts with classic levels but was done in Unity and couldn't get the camera in the main mode or the mini game physics quite right. It's very unlikely that Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima will work together again, given recent events.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I would love to see a revival of ESWAT: City Under Siege.
The setting had so much potential

This is truth
Unfortunately, I put the ESWAT in the same pile as Mystic Defender. Where the setting, design, graphics, etc are all awesome. Yet the game it's self is kinda meh

ESWAT was especially weird in that the levels before you get the titular ESWAT suit were sort of better than the ones after you get it.
it290

Post by it290 »

I'd love to see Lizardcube take a swing at a Shinobi game. I think they could nail it.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Stevens wrote:
Despatche wrote:a new Out Run and a new Hang-On, that are actually a single game using the same engine and all.
Whoa. No reason they couldn't do this either. We can dream right?
They had to delist Out Run 2 and its offshoots from the stores because the Ferrari license for the cars they were using expired and was not renewed. They could do it with generic cars or renew the license, but I think Out Run would be hard to do without Ferraris.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
null1024

Post by null1024 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: ESWAT was especially weird in that the levels before you get the titular ESWAT suit were sort of better than the ones after you get it.
This always pissed me off so much.
Spent ages with it trying to like the game, ended up just writing it off as a bad job. The suit levels kind of felt like a punch to the face after the half-decent-but-competent earlier levels.
Vexorg wrote: They had to delist Out Run 2 and its offshoots from the stores because the Ferrari license for the cars they were using expired and was not renewed. They could do it with generic cars or renew the license, but I think Out Run would be hard to do without Ferraris.
So like, I want to say how OutRunners didn't bother with licensed cars, but that game also has a wildly different tone vs mainline OutRun.
I think it could totally still work, and it's not like they didn't remove the Ferarri branding and design in recent releases of the original.
BrianC wrote: How many vets does Sega have left? Some big names like Yu Suzuki have left and, despite having key staff that worked on Fantasy Zone and Sonic, Artoon/Arzest's output has been mixed. Some of the best revivals of older Sega titles have come from M2. System 16 FZII and its 3DS port are good stuff. Super Monkey Ball had a revival of sorts with classic levels but was done in Unity and couldn't get the camera in the main mode or the mini game physics quite right. It's very unlikely that Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima will work together again, given recent events.
Honestly, I think almost everyone really good left, whether retired or just to a different studio.
Also, it's really weird seeing the Naka/Ohshima beef lmao. Bit shit if what Naka is saying is true with Ohshima forcing him off the project, and boy, does that explain an unreasonable amount of why Balan sucks so bad.

Speaking of M2, I would deeply consider selling a leg if it meant that we got a remake of Space Harrier II in the vein of Fantasy Zone 2 DX, where they bring it up to proper arcade spec.
Eternally annoyed how Sega decided to make multiple launch titles for the MD be based on sprite scaling games and not have either the ROM space or scaling hardware to really do it justice in any way.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

null1024 wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote: ESWAT was especially weird in that the levels before you get the titular ESWAT suit were sort of better than the ones after you get it.
This always pissed me off so much.
Spent ages with it trying to like the game, ended up just writing it off as a bad job. The suit levels kind of felt like a punch to the face after the half-decent-but-competent earlier levels.
I thought the second stage before the suit was generally disliked? The stage isn't too bad once you know the layout, but the design is a bit frustrating.

edit: I was looking up the staff for Eswat to see if it shared staff with the Super Shinobis and found something interesting. It does share some staff with the first Super Shinobi, but the second one was done by former Data East/Tad staff. Some of the same staff as Super Shinobi II and the AC Toki also worked on the Genesis Toki.