Air Twister [Apple Arcade] - a Yu Suzuki Production

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
jehu

Air Twister [Apple Arcade] - a Yu Suzuki Production

Post by jehu »

Anyone have a chance to play 'Air Twister,' Yu Suzuki's new game for Apple Arcade? I had a free 3-month trial for upgrading my iPhone, and decided to activate it to give the game a shot. I was never a big fan of Space Harrier (the game's clear forebear), nor of mobile gaming more generally, and yet I can feel this one growing on me.

The touch controls take time to get used to, and I'm still not fully acclimated. But the more runs I play, the more I begin to appreciate there's a certain elegance there - curtailed by the limits of touch, of course, but not at all bad considering.

There's a whimsicalness to the presentation that does the game massive aesthetic favors. Visuals have an Alice in Wonderland feel. Most notable of all is the Queen-inspired soundtrack that - while feeling extremely uncanny at first - has quickly become the element of the game I enjoy most.

Full disclosure: it indulges in some of mobile gaming's worst habits. There's a big upgrade tree that requires grinding; there's timed / daily events for 'tickets' etc. (But happily there is a separate arcade mode available right away.) And, of course, it's annoying that it's stuck on the Apple Arcade platform, though it isn't stuffed full of microtransactions. Smart money says it's a timed exclusive, but I can't be sure. But anyway, though I could do without all that, overall - I'm pleasantly surprised.

Curious about your impressions if you've played it.

Link to the official trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O11rsrf-qSY
Sengoku Strider

Re: Air Twister [Apple Arcade] - a Yu Suzuki Production

Post by Sengoku Strider »

That looks quality enough that I can see it getting a Switch release down the line w/o the mobile baggage. I would for sure be interested, it looks like Harrier Dragoon. And just conceptually it kinda gives me Dreamcast era Sega vibes.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Sengoku Strider wrote:it looks like Harrier Dragoon. And just conceptually it kinda gives me Dreamcast era Sega vibes.
With a sprinkling of Rez for good measure!
Austin

Post by Austin »

If it ever gets a console release, I'm down to try it. Otherwise, I'll probably forget about it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Ok YS - there is a little driving game lots of people would love for you to Run Out and make a 3rd one of.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeee.
My lord, I have come for you.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

C'mon YS, you don't even need the horseymobile license to do it, you outrunnered that without a problem. Give us more!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Wow! That looks pretty great (I'm even into the Flash Gordon inspired soundtrack)
Unfortunately, it's in the Apple Arcade ghetto. The only game I can think of that made it out of there was that Wild Hearts game. Were there any others?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Wow! That looks pretty great (I'm even into the Flash Gordon inspired soundtrack)
Unfortunately, it's in the Apple Arcade ghetto. The only game I can think of that made it out of there was that Wild Hearts game. Were there any others?
Shantae and the 7 Sirens was on Apple Arcade first and made it to other platforms.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:C'mon YS, you don't even need the horseymobile license to do it, you outrunnered that without a problem. Give us more!
Nope. 100% does not need the license. I think more OutRun games haven't had it then have.

But seriously seeing all these Unreal 5 demos....just damn OR 3 would be bonkers beautiful.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Stevens wrote:Ok YS - there is a little driving game lots of people would love for you to Run Out and make a 3rd one of.
Out Run (1986)
Out Run 3D (1988)
Turbo Out Run (1989)
Out Run Europa (1991)
Out Runners (1992)
Out Run 2 (2003)

Huh, you're right. They only got up to 2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Out Run (1986)
Turbo Out Run (1989)
Out Runners (1992)
Out Run 2 (2003)
Out Run 2 SP (2004)
Fixed, with only AC titles. Out Run Europa wasn't made by Sega themselves, just licensed from them.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Turbo OutRun was dog shit. 3D was pretty bad too - also only on SMS. Unpopular opinion - I don't really like Outrunners either.

OG, 2, and SP (or as I like to call OutRun 2 Championship Edition) are all top tier though. Even if OG is rather unforgiving.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Stevens wrote:Turbo OutRun was dog shit.
Lmao, what? Arcade Turbo OutRun is awesome.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah. Well we will just agree to not agree on that.

Anyway I feel we've sort of gone a bit OT since this thread was originally about a different game. We all want a new OutRun and that is the one thing I think we can all agree on.