Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BIL »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:April's slide doesn't knockdown enemies, knockdown is how you flip those little robots.
hien wrote:That's great and all and I could make a gif too of that glorious moment I finally hit that biker dude with it once. But I could also make a compilation of 99% of other attempts where I failed.
Sigh, I only picked that particular clip because it showed all of those features of the dash attack at once in a very short period of time.
Spoiler
And here are those motorbike enemies that are so hard to tackle. You can tell it's not rehearsed cuz I miss my cool charge attacks :cry:
Spoiler
Is that enough yet? Or do I need to just 1cc the entire game using nothing but Leo's tackle?
Just watch the beginning of stage 7 in iconoclast's 1CC video with the spear Foots. He tries to hit them with a tackle two times and gets counterd out of it twice. Then tries again with an evade attack and at least gets a trade. :!: :o After which he resorts to attacking them the normal way by using the air slash and slide.
If you're talking about this "trade":
Spoiler
...that's not a trade. Leo kicked a traffic cone. Then Leo got completely punked. Then while Leo was writhing in agony, the traffic cone flew threw the air and hit the enemy.
If anyone wants to have an example of what I meant with the concept of the game falling apart in certain situations, just watch that Captain Zorax-fight in Episode 11. That's pretty much how the later parts of the game in general often play out for the average player, who hasn't memorized most bits of the stages yet and who doesn't manage meter/insta-kills that wisely due to the knowledge what lies ahead. Even to experienced players, the same can imo happen during the Traag fight, if you miss the rhythm between his attack and the tackles of his underlings.
I mean first of all Zorax is IMO easily the toughest boss in the game. Traag doesn't actually do much, he just kinda stands around, so you can fight him safely by focusing on the minions. Of course the show-offy aggressive takedown is preferable, but that's difficult like you said. Regardless, the game is days old and quite long, I certainly don't have it memorized yet and I doubt anyone else does. It's not "I have memorized all the enemies that don't attack right away and will dash attack them", that's silly, why would I waste mental energy remembering enemies who aren't threats? It's "dash attack is fast and does good damage and has good cancel options to respond to threats, so it makes sense to use it often, but maybe I'll hang back if I remember or see that an enemy is about to attack". Iconoclast didn't try to tackle those spear ninjas because it was part of a memorized route; I'm sure it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
Some quality hit detection forensics goin' on ITT, loving the GIFs Jack :cool:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shinobi Non Grata has a one level playable demo.

Movement feels really good. Devs seem to know their inspiration well. You can run, double jump, and there is a dodge button. Much like Saigo it seems you can touch enemies without penalty. Also like its influence - the enemies never stop coming.

Your standard weapon is a sword and you can attack in any direction. You also have access to shuriken, kusarigama, and a fucking cannon. There were three other slots so presumably more weapons. Your sub weapons are powered with what I'll call spirits. As you kill enemies your meter fills giving you access to your sub weapons. Different weapons have a different cost. In the demo the cannon is def OP.

Music is from the trailer and is good. Swinging the sword has a weight to it. I've been eyeing this one for a while and it is shaping up really well.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stupid question: what's the best, most convenient way you've found to make GIFs? I'm currently using Shotcut to take an MP4 video and then crop it into individual GIFs, was wondering if there's a better, more convenient way that's recommended I'm unaware?
BIL

Post by BIL »

As is my wont, I may well be aeons out of date - but I'm quite happy with Instagiffer. It's advertised mostly as a Youtube grabber, but I find it patchy on that front (as you can probably tell by the homepage's TinyPic error notices, it's not the highest-profile application >_>). However, for MP4 and AVI files alike (I typically capture direct from my PS4, or from various Windows emulators), it's very handy. Nice cropping and quality/size balancing options; gets me the ~2mb files I prefer for forum use with little fuss (make sure to tick "extra GIF compression," and I suggest unticking "enhance" for better size/quality balance).

I'm wondering if other programs might beat it for compression (it being very much a "googled once ten years ago, worked fine, couldn't be arsed looking further" :lol:), but for what it is, it's suited me well. Latest version should be 1.75.

Ah, GIFs. Shitposting *harumph* I mean forum-going's highest calling...(^w´ )

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Whoa, somehow I missed the fact that Final Vendetta has a soundtrack by Utah Saints.
That's really perfect for a game of this sort, makes me want to play it even more even if it supposedly doesn't stand out much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SoJhL61jI
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote:Shinobi Non Grata has a one level playable demo.

Movement feels really good. Devs seem to know their inspiration well. You can run, double jump, and there is a dodge button. Much like Saigo it seems you can touch enemies without penalty. Also like its influence - the enemies never stop coming.

Your standard weapon is a sword and you can attack in any direction. You also have access to shuriken, kusarigama, and a fucking cannon. There were three other slots so presumably more weapons. Your sub weapons are powered with what I'll call spirits. As you kill enemies your meter fills giving you access to your sub weapons. Different weapons have a different cost. In the demo the cannon is def OP.

Music is from the trailer and is good. Swinging the sword has a weight to it. I've been eyeing this one for a while and it is shaping up really well.
Aha, excellent! I've had my eye on that one. My love of Saigo being no secret, I got really good vibes from the earlier trailer. Good to hear it's handling well, it really looks like the early 90s followup that never was.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Interesting note about the Shinobi Non Grata demo, the double jump doubles as an air dodge. It can be performed with either button, and has invincibility like the dodge roll.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

New beat em up e-magazine available to download (for free). Mayhem Brawler II got announced with some early character art displayed.

https://brawlersalley.wixsite.com/brawlersalley
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I preordered Pocky and Rocky Reshrined. This is the first time I've preordered anything, I believe. All those iconoclast runs convinced me it looks cool. They haven't shipped yet despite the game already being out, but I'll give my impressions whenever it gets here. I still suck ass at the original Kiki Kaikai.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

When did this thread become the home of beat-em-ups, as opposed to this thread? I want more games like Ninja Gaiden!

I saw some YT video peddling Shubibinman Zero, and it reminded me that I never got around to the third one. This thread has too few reviews on the series, but for those who played them, what's your opinion of #3?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Lovely feel and sprites, too easy and unpolished to pay much attention.
BIL

Post by BIL »

o.pwuaioc wrote:When did this thread become the home of beat-em-ups, as opposed to this thread? I want more games like Ninja Gaiden!
About half a decade (or six Parts) ago. :wink: As a megathread, it's not meant to replace dedicated ones. But it'll always be here after they've inevitably sank into obscurity, and keeps several of them indexed for easy resurrection. (submissions always welcome btw! Image)
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Lovely feel and sprites, too easy and unpolished to pay much attention.
Unpolished in what way? An easy romp isn't always a bad thing - my reaction times can only do so much late at night after a few drinks. If the controls and layout is solid enough, that might be my jam, but if it's sloppy hit detection and janky controls, that's a pass from me.
BIL wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:When did this thread become the home of beat-em-ups, as opposed to this thread? I want more games like Ninja Gaiden!
About half a decade (or six Parts) ago. :wink: As a megathread, it's not meant to replace dedicated ones. But it'll always be here after they've inevitably sank into obscurity, and keeps several of them indexed for easy resurrection. (submissions always welcome btw! Image)
I just want more games that play as perfectly as Ninja Gaiden or Contra! The speed, the agility, the action, it's all there with those two. But brawlers are sort of the opposite - much more slowly paced, often not moving at all in order to take care of slow-walking enemies or enemies jumping from behind. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Have you played Steel Assault (Steam/NSW)? That one gets my highest recommendation as a NG fan; I'd absolutely put it on par with the best of the 8/16-bit glory years from Konami, Tecmo, Capcom and co. Sprint-paced, ferociously hard-hitting yet pinpoint-precise action/platforming, with a remarkably fresh climbing mechanic and expert use of FC Batman/Actraiser's hitbox cancelling. No need to run from charging heavies, just belt 'em in the chops with the Metal Slug-styled automelee and slice straight through. (naturally if you botch your attack you're gonna get clapped, as you should. :cool:)

Looks and sounds as good as it plays too, with gorgeously vibrant pixel art and character+machine designs, Treasure-calibre explosions and a stoic-yet-catchy OST worthy of Tecno Soft. The only thing I was left wanting for was a PS4 release; could've come straight from the old masters themselves, as the new Kiki Kaikai and its Tengo Project Ninja Warriors + Wild Guns predecessors did. SriK and co know their Hard Scrolling Action, excited to see they're already onto their next project.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BIL wrote:Have you played Steel Assault (Steam/NSW)? That one gets my highest recommendation as a NG fan; I'd absolutely put it on par with the best of the 8/16-bit glory years from Konami, Tecmo, Capcom and co. Sprint-paced, ferociously hard-hitting yet pinpoint-precise action/platforming, with a remarkably fresh climbing mechanic and expert use of FC Batman/Actraiser's hitbox cancelling. No need to run from charging heavies, just belt 'em in the chops with the Metal Slug-styled automelee and slice straight through. (naturally if you botch your attack you're gonna get clapped, as you should. :cool:)

Looks and sounds as good as it plays too, with gorgeously vibrant pixel art and character+machine designs, Treasure-calibre explosions and a stoic-yet-catchy OST worthy of Tecno Soft. The only thing I was left wanting for was a PS4 release; could've come straight from the old masters themselves, as the new Kiki Kaikai and its Tengo Project Ninja Warriors + Wild Guns predecessors did. SriK and co know their Hard Scrolling Action, excited to see they're already onto their next project.
Holy shit! Holy shit! I took a gamble and it paid off!

Steel Assault is steam DRM-free!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Glad to hear more people can play this game! One of those precious examples of authentic rugged hardcore paired with an original vision. Their next project is looking amazing, too.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steel Assault? Never did 1CC it on expert - could get to Magnus 1v1 and came close a few times.

Games run time is so friendly though that getting back is pretty easy. Also Daigo Umehara.
BIL wrote:Their next project is looking amazing, too.
Didn't know about this, found a 23 second clip on an indie game channel. Presumably that is what you were talking about?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think so! Suddenly remembered I only know about it from SriK himself. We were talking a lot about Cabal/Wild Guns-styled gallery mechanics in a conventional side/belt-scroller around then.

Given the expertise on show in Steel Assault, it wouldn't surprise me if their next game turned out to be the concept's first really excellent outing (there's a few I know of, like MD Dick Tracy and Saturn MS Gundam, that make ok usage of the concept, but they're not whip-smart thoroughbreds ala the best of Konami/Tecmo/Natsume et al)
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Lovely feel and sprites, too easy and unpolished to pay much attention.
Unpolished in what way? An easy romp isn't always a bad thing - my reaction times can only do so much late at night after a few drinks. If the controls and layout is solid enough, that might be my jam, but if it's sloppy hit detection and janky controls, that's a pass from me.
It controls fine enough specially for this sprite size but there's indeed sloppy hit detection here and there. It's not a bad game, arcade-ish, but it's clearly unfinished/rushed. Easy, simple, but moderately fun as it lasts thanks to the visual presentation. A bit treasure-y for moments even. Could have been something special but it's nothing remarkable in the end.
BIL

Post by BIL »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I just want more games that play as perfectly as Ninja Gaiden or Contra! The speed, the agility, the action, it's all there with those two. But brawlers are sort of the opposite - much more slowly paced, often not moving at all in order to take care of slow-walking enemies or enemies jumping from behind. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Oh also: Blazing Chrome. (Stevens's av, even!). PS4/NSW/Steam, easily recommendable to any Contra fan.

Also Huntdown (Steam/NSW/PS4), much-loved ITT. It's more of an Elevator Action-styled tactical shooter than a balls-out Contra rampage, but then Elevator Action Returns is consistently beloved among run/gun fans of all persuasions, so it's probably safer to recommend than not.

And just to return this to beltscrolling ( :mrgreen: ), since it impressed much like the previous three: Fight n' Rage is easily good enough to feature alongside the best Japanese-made stuff. Even if you find beltscrollers too slow-paced overall, it might surprise you with the furious bodycount. Despite the chibi sprites it's also stupendously violent. Moves like late CPS2 Capcom, stomps on skulls like vintage 80s Technos.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Iconoclast posted a big improvement .. 1lc on TMNT with April. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVo9eHEm0K8
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BIL wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:I just want more games that play as perfectly as Ninja Gaiden or Contra! The speed, the agility, the action, it's all there with those two. But brawlers are sort of the opposite - much more slowly paced, often not moving at all in order to take care of slow-walking enemies or enemies jumping from behind. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Oh also: Blazing Chrome. (Stevens's av, even!). PS4/NSW/Steam, easily recommendable to any Contra fan.

Also Huntdown (Steam/NSW/PS4), much-loved ITT. It's more of an Elevator Action-styled tactical shooter than a balls-out Contra rampage, but then Elevator Action Returns is consistently beloved among run/gun fans of all persuasions, so it's probably safer to recommend than not.

And just to return this to beltscrolling ( :mrgreen: ), since it impressed much like the previous three: Fight n' Rage is easily good enough to feature alongside the best Japanese-made stuff. Even if you find beltscrollers too slow-paced overall, it might surprise you with the furious bodycount. Despite the chibi sprites it's also stupendously violent. Moves like late CPS2 Capcom, stomps on skulls like vintage 80s Technos.
Fight and Rage is easily up there with the best of the genre. As good as Vendetta, SoR 2, Final Fight or River City Ransom. A fantastic game made by somebody who clearly understands what makes beat em ups good. It's all about balancing. But not "balancing" in the same way a fighting game character is balanced. Fight 'n' Rage is balanced so that every character feels good to play and powerful.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I dropped Steel Assault mostly for the controls, too much pixel-perfect moments and even though I've fully memo'd stage layouts enemies still taking me hits in every direction. Double jump barely useful, slide with short range and timed, and some attack patterns requires again pixel-perfect ziplining. Everythng else I'd give it A.

I played few sessions of Blazing Chrome and I like it for what it is, good mix of memo and RNG still haven't beat it yet but I'd like to. Has some problems like 3D autoscroller section in Mission 4 being too long and tedious (5 minutes!).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't think any of that is true for Steel Assault. There's no pixel perfect precision, or even close to that, and the double jump is very useful.

The game is challenging, but the moment-to-moment gameplay isn't particularly tight - most of the challenge comes from the keeping up consistency. Arcade mode really doesn't allow you to screw up past stage 2, but Expert mode gives you a full life bar for every stage, so there's enough leeway that a clear shouldn't take too much work. Given the games you usually play, I think it's strange you'd have a problem with Steel Assault of all things.

My arcade mode clear is pretty clumsy I think, but gets the job done with three more hits still left on the life bar.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

In one occasion, first mini-boss in stage 2 will release flamethrower in both platforms and the only way to dodge it? Ziplining between the planks, miss it and you'll drain health so much same thing as one attack in St1 boss.

Of course those are probably me just being bad in the game, but nah I don't feel like revisit this anymore with all the flawed gameplay in my opinion. Blazing Chrome offers solid gameplay and I had fun learning and memo the stages.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Alright, you've sold me on Steel Assault. Been eyeing it for a while and it's been too long since I played an action platformer.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
it290

Post by it290 »

BIL wrote:Also Huntdown (Steam/NSW/PS4), much-loved ITT. It's more of an Elevator Action-styled tactical shooter than a balls-out Contra rampage, but then Elevator Action Returns is consistently beloved among run/gun fans of all persuasions, so it's probably safer to recommend than not.
Huntdown gets pretty balls-out. I'm done with the game for now, having achieved around #30 on the steam leaderboards for Arcade mode in all four stages, but my buddy is currently hovering around #4-7 on all of them, and having discussed optimization strats at length it's a game that can offer a high skill ceiling with a lot of adrenaline because you can have your circa 30 minute run planned down in minute detail but a split second misjudgment can fuck the whole thing, not dissimilar to most shmups. It shares superficial similarities with EAR in the horizontal shooting aspect, but while that game is a lot more about managing enemy spawns, Huntdown has a set number of enemies that spawn on cue and you have far more tactical/movement options to deal with them. It also has a little bit of Castlevania DNA since weapon pickups and conservation are critical in racking up massive killstreaks (and hence score). Incredibly tightly designed game.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Just realized we have a "Stevens" and also a "Steven". Hm.

Final Vendetta not having continues was the right choice. It should have a stage select to compensate (provided that its use as a practice tool is made very clear), but the former is such an important power move. Abolish continues. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

copy-paster wrote:In one occasion, first mini-boss in stage 2 will release flamethrower in both platforms and the only way to dodge it? Ziplining between the planks, miss it and you'll drain health so much same thing as one attack in St1 boss.
That one is memo at worst. You can just do the zipline preemptively and you have tons of time to do it. You don't even need to zipline to dodge that attack, though - I've never done it that way. I think I'd played the game for a good week before I realised that was probably the intended method. Also, a third and easier option is to just kill it before it tries to burn the platforms.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Despatche wrote:Just realized we have a "Stevens" and also a "Steven". Hm.
I am the original Despatche - accept no substitute.

I am also dashingly handsome, way more fun at parties, and the ideal wingman.

8)