Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell (PC/Steam)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FunktionJCB

Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell (PC/Steam)

Post by FunktionJCB »

Earlier this month, Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell was released on PC/Steam (the game is also available on PS4 and Switch, but I believe it's currently only available in Japan, while on PC it's a worldwide, English-friendly, release).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1195 ... tle__Hell/

The game is a must have for fans of classic arcade games, and a welcome surprise.
It's probably the most fun I had with a game in 2022. Yep, it's that good!

This new entry in a series that was insanely popular in Japan, but mostly unknown outside of it (since most titles never left Japan), is a whole lot of fun!
It plays like a cross between Mario Bros. (the original arcade game, not the NES platformer), and Bubble Bobble, and it has the kind of simple, fast, addictive gameplay that anyone can pick up and play, and that you'll be coming back to, to improve your scores.
Add a colourful and insanely "happy" visual and audio presentation, and it's the kind of game that is sure to leave you with a huge smile in your face. I mean, where else will you find a power up that makes you ride a frog, while a disco ball drops down from the ceiling, and a catchy Japanese chiptune/hip hop track starts playing, while you go around eating everything that moves?!

On top of the addictive gameplay, and a fun audio and visual presentation, this is a really great package, since it features a healthy amount of stages, and plenty of unlockables to keep you coming for more, including countless unlockable characters (25+), power-ups (some from other Jaleco titles), alternate modes, retro soundtrack options, and a rather healthy amount of materials from past entries in the series (including various box art and cartridge photos, concept art, design documents, and more).

On top of everything, unlike other City Connection titles available on PC, this one is pretty much a flawless release, and it keeps getting better, since one of the developers is quite active on Steam, and multiple, quick updates have added pretty much everything that people suggested (Steam remote play for the 2 player co-op mode, meaning you can play the game with a friend that doesn't own the game; Steam cloud saves; and more).

I can't recommend this game enough!

Here's a couple of trailers for the game, the first showing the "main" game, and the other showing some of the additions of the "Hell" update, featuring new content, new enemies, new music and plenty more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dehCrGLgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDY26PK2CUI
Stevens

Re: Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell (PC/Steam)

Post by Stevens »

This also looks dope. Will check out!

Reminds me a little of Shaolin Road too.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

The Switch and PS4 releases include a bunch of Famicom Ninja Jajamaru classics as well as the new Great Yokai Battle:
Ninja Jajamaru-kun (1985, Famicom)
Jajamaru no Daibouken (1986, Famicom)
JaJaMaru Ninpouchou (1989, Famicom)
Jajamaru Gekimaden: Maboroshi no Kinmajou(1990, Famicom)
Ninja Jajamaru: Ginga Daisakusen(1991, Famicom)
Ninja Jajamaru: The Great Yokai Battle

This collection is one I had been looking forward to back in 2019 - the PS4 version ended up being delayed for well over a year.
From what I understand the PS4 version added a rewind ability with some other quality of life improvements - I don't know if they were added to Switch via a patch.
While playing Jajamaru Gekimaden: Maboroshi no Kinmajou on PS4 I have encountered game breaking bugs which require you to rewind and then continue in a different manner.

The new Great Yokai Battle is fantastic frenetic fun, but I've never understood everything that is going on on-screen, nor the techniques and scoring rules.
velo

Post by velo »

A physical Switch/PS4 version is on its way through Strictly Limited Games, with English translations for the RPGs. Presumably digital versions will be coming (and way before the physicals are delivered...).

Ninja-Kun 1&2 were fun discoveries for me. I take it this series was roughly spun-off from Ninja-Kun? Looks like a lot of fun anyhow.