I can't relate to modern gaming anymore

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: I can't relate to modern gaming anymore

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://external-preview.redd.it/sskAe_ ... 008f6fefb5

Relevant. Image is big, so I didn't image tag it.
Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Mon May 09, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Man, I can't believe Ubisoft owns all of these and no one told me

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Thought the same thing. Can't wait till we get Ubisoft 1492...

Also, I don't know any of those Tencent studios. Have they done anything of note?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

o.pwuaioc wrote:The dude had a solid point. One, he's not complaining about all games back then, but the scarcity you see in arcades. (You have to read the whole thread, not just the parts that you want to score a point with.) He name drops Smash TV as a decent game and Hard Drivin' as "more than decent."
I am going to take the opposite stance: that rather than solid, his point is in fact soggy sponge-level squishy. This is the argument he makes:

It's just that every new (arcade) game being released is YET ANOTHER spinoff of that entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Gaiden Ikari Double Dragon Dudes Warriors theme and I have HAD IT with these bullsh*it excuses for "arcade" machines.

On the first point, Teenage Mutant Ninja Gaiden Ikari Double Dragon Dudes Warriors is not a singular thing. But if it were, I would defy any and all who call themselves Men of Gaming Science to stand before this thread and god in denial that it would kick the living snot out of Hard Drivin'.

I am also deeply unsettled that this philistine shows no appreciation of the golden age of naked Qix clones he was living in.

But returning to the subject of Hard Drivin', as we see, even this was not enough for him. Why?

Again, this is my point about a game like Hard Drivin', so much effort, so much hardware (and software alike) went into this game but for what? The concept blows because in the grand scheme of things Hard Drivin' is just another Night Drivier, Grand Monanco, Turbo, Pole Position I,II etc. etc.

Image Image

It's like looking into a mirror. I literally cannot tell these two games apart.
Heck, even I complained about the awful "3D crazy", and though I got an N64 when it came out and PS1 a few years later, I wasn't really all that impressed compared to the awesomeness of two gens prior. I ended up playing my Genesis and SNES far more often. For a while, my most played game on the PS1 was Namco Museum.
Yeah, but that wasn't a weird crank view, early 3D really was a step back. It was the shallow yobs in the gaming press pissing all over anything that wasn't polygonal who were wildly off-base. Developers hadn't figured out how to implement satisfying control in 3D spaces. Remember Mario 64 & Ocarina of Time (a game which hit so late in the gen that the Saturn was already dead and the Dreamcast was on Japanese shelves) being hailed as the rediscovery of the wheel? Go back & see how those games feel now. Or try to play Tomb Raider on a dpad at all. Engineers also hadn't figured out an effective control interface with those spaces (though on the PC front M+K has held up quite well). The machines also lacked anywhere near the compute power necessary to render polygonal artwork to the fidelity of spritework of the time. It really was a unique era of growing pains.
And I think we all knew then and know now that there were too many fighting games, too many beat em ups that were just clones of the best games that came out.
My dude. Go back and look at the games of the golden age. They were fucking shameless.

Those are 9 different games released over the course of 3 years. (Shout out to Retrogame Deconstruction Zone for the gif)

And that's not even close to all of them. Between 1979 and 1980 Nintendo, font of gaming innovation and creativity, released to arcades Space Fever - a Space Invaders clone. SF Hi-Splitter - a Space Invaders clone. Radar Scope - a cool looking Space Invaders clone. And Space Firebird, which to be fair was really more of a Galaxian clone.

Don't even get me started on the avalanche of Pac-Man/maze chase xeroxes.
But damn when a game was good, it was really good. I can't say the same for many games recently. And Street Fighter II was a fucking blockbuster, not some indie schlack that some hipster worked on in his basement and released on Steam with all the other shit.
My good man. In the golden age, pretty much every game was made by a single shaggy guy in a cubicle, sometimes two. Teams were larger by the late 80s, but not by that much. Street Fighter II was a total outlier, a global paradigm-setting smash hit on the level of Pac-Man or Super Mario Bros. We've had plenty of games like that over the past 15-odd years. Minecraft, PUBG or DOTA have been absolutely massive worldwide phenomena. People have literally gotten rich & famous making their livings playing them. If you've spent any time around a 10 year old in the past few years, you know that things like Roblox, Rocket League and Fortnite have been more central to their childhoods and their socialization than Street Fighter II was to us, or anything we had for that matter.
Some people can tolerate the slow build up of BS; others have their breaking point.
Some people get tunnel-vision on things which reinforce their confirmation bias, while ignoring the absolute mountain of counter-evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, finishing off getting back to that Usenet guy, he was a doofus. Him & the poster before him were arguing that developers were now bad because arcade games had endings. That had little to do with devs (for whom it ultimately made more work) and everything to do with arcade operators not wanting good players hogging their machines all day looping them for 18 hours straight Billy Mitchell-style.

That thread was a bad-take fiesta. I hope they've taken the time to ruminate on that and grow as people in the past 30 years.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sengoku Strider wrote: On the first point, Teenage Mutant Ninja Gaiden Ikari Double Dragon Dudes Warriors is not a singular thing.
He means beat'em ups.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote: On the first point, Teenage Mutant Ninja Gaiden Ikari Double Dragon Dudes Warriors is not a singular thing.
He means beat'em ups.
I think he gets that and is more referring to the fact that including Ninja Gaiden and Ikari Warriors (which are not beat 'em ups) in there when you're trying to articulate that you mean beat 'em ups is really damn confusing.
Sengoku Strider wrote:That thread was a bad-take fiesta. I hope they've taken the time to ruminate on that and grow as people in the past 30 years.
Your entire post was a glorious read. Kudos to you.

It's also annoying that the sheer number of games that were shameless clones also seemed to help give the perception that games that superficially looked the same were clones of one another despite being mechanically very different. There was some genuine innovation that took place in even older arcade games, such as Phoenix which features a recharging shield you can use to deflect shots, and battles against a large mothership structure, or Chameleon where you could climb upwards by using your tongue to grab the environment, or Super Locomotive which was simply far ahead of its time.

A top down shmup like Xevious is mechanically very different from say, Halley's Comet, or Omega Fighter, but there was sometimes the unfair claim that they were all "space shooter games" and reviews often downplayed their innovation as they tried fresh mechanics. I suspect the number of early arcade games that did try to be actual clones is at least partly to blame...?

I really enjoyed the heads up about the blog. They did a ton of Shooter Gallery posts that dig into early era shmups, and it was really interesting to read about them. Carnival giving the player an option to disable the music in the middle of the game was an interesting touch, it's rare to see arcade games, let alone early arcade games, give players configurable options or choices like this.
Steamflogger Boss

Is PS3 still modern? Probably not. But I just bought a ton of PS3 games off Yahoo Japan. Sumez did you know there is a PS3 release of DS1 with the DLC? Pretty hot. Time for some 10fps Blighttown action soon.

As far as those ten cent holdings, I have no idea I'm just shit posting.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I think he gets that and is more referring to the fact that including Ninja Gaiden and Ikari Warriors (which are not beat 'em ups) in there when you're trying to articulate that you mean beat 'em ups is really damn confusing.
Guy probably confused Ikari Warriors, but Ninja Gaiden is a beat'em up on on arcade :)
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Sumez did you know there is a PS3 release of DS1 with the DLC?
As far as modern games go, DS1 is pretty far up there. And yeah, I was really close to double dipping on the game back when "Prepare to die" edition came out.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I find it interesting that the Atari 2600 Space Invaders bears more of a resemblance to Space Fighter Mark II (the last game in those gifs) than the original Space Invaders.
Sumez wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I think he gets that and is more referring to the fact that including Ninja Gaiden and Ikari Warriors (which are not beat 'em ups) in there when you're trying to articulate that you mean beat 'em ups is really damn confusing.
Guy probably confused Ikari Warriors, but Ninja Gaiden is a beat'em up on on arcade :)
Maybe he was referring to Ikari III, which is a beat 'em up?
Last edited by BrianC on Mon May 09, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:but Ninja Gaiden is a beat'em up on on arcade :)
Oh, so it is, my bad. I was aware it had an arcade release with larger sprites but I had it in my head that it was more of a platformer.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I remember playing ST when it first came out and super bars were a brand new unheard of thing in SF. I did Ryu's super fireball and got the iconic sunburst KO thing happening. Two guys at the next cab over were playing a WWF game and watching me play out of the corner of their eye.

When they saw the KO explosion one of them shook his head and was like, "Man, that's just way too much."

I can't relate to modern games anymore 1994 edition.

I wonder what they would think of recent Arcsys fighting games lol?
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Sumez did you know there is a PS3 release of DS1 with the DLC?
As far as modern games go, DS1 is pretty far up there. And yeah, I was really close to double dipping on the game back when "Prepare to die" edition came out.
I grabbed a boxed version off yaj for $13. Has some cool shit with it. PS3 games are near worthless in Japan with a few outliers. Even awesome stuff is like $15-20. Ended up dropping about 150 on 31 games before shipping ruins me lol.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:When they saw the KO explosion one of them shook his head and was like, "Man, that's just way too much."
Even better that the remark was made by someone playing a pro wrestling game.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'd gladly hate on their choice of game in return, but I could not do so in good conscience. That cab was Technos' legendary WWF Wrestlefest.

https://youtu.be/PE3H7yaeai0
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:The dude had a solid point. One, he's not complaining about all games back then, but the scarcity you see in arcades. (You have to read the whole thread, not just the parts that you want to score a point with.) He name drops Smash TV as a decent game and Hard Drivin' as "more than decent."
My patronizing guy, you misunderstood what I was saying 100%. I'm a fan of late 80s and 90s games, so I don't know who you think you're arguing with. There is however no denying that gaming changed drastically in the late 80s and many games focused on pushing the tech envelope over gameplay.

If instead of trying to turn every post into some sort of argument crusade you tried to understand what others were saying, you might end up skipping the masturbatory sophistry and actually have a real conversation or even learn something, as others have been quick to point out the fact that "TMNGIDDDW" means beat em ups, which, let's face it, are repetitive as shit.
Yeah, but that wasn't a weird crank view, early 3D really was a step back. It was the shallow yobs in the gaming press pissing all over anything that wasn't polygonal who were wildly off-base.
I agree with you that early 3D was shit, but you are wrong that non-press people weren't gaga over it. People loved that shit, and I never understood why.
My dude. Go back and look at the games of the golden age. They were fucking shameless.
How many of these games were big hits? Meanwhile, even mediocre fighters and beat em ups (and the vast majority of them are) have people pushing them still.
My good man. In the golden age, pretty much every game was made by a single shaggy guy in a cubicle, sometimes two. Teams were larger by the late 80s, but not by that much. Street Fighter II was a total outlier, a global paradigm-setting smash hit on the level of Pac-Man or Super Mario Bros. We've had plenty of games like that over the past 15-odd years. Minecraft, PUBG or DOTA have been absolutely massive worldwide phenomena. People have literally gotten rich & famous making their livings playing them. If you've spent any time around a 10 year old in the past few years, you know that things like Roblox, Rocket League and Fortnite have been more central to their childhoods and their socialization than Street Fighter II was to us, or anything we had for that matter.
"My good man." You know how much of an asshole saying this over and over again makes you sound, right?

But to address your point, 1991-1994 had dozens of top notch, highly acclaimed games that hold up today. You named 5 over the course of 12 years. Minecraft, mind you, was first released in 2009.

But the rest of what you said is nonsensical in the extreme. Sure no one made money streaming games in the 80s and 90s because, get this, Youtube and Twitch didn't exist back then! I know this must blow your mind, seeing that you've completely forgotten what it was like back then, but trust me, it's true. You simply couldn't stream online.

I also wonder just how connected you were to others back then. SFII and MKII were fucking huge. But you simply cannot compare the two landscapes, because everything about gaming has changed. It's now easier to play these games, many of which are free to play. You have more people with more access to the games than back then. You have videos that these kids can watch whenever and wherever. You're not comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to McDonald's cheeesburgers. It's not even remotely the same.

But all these things would have come to you if you weren't so upset that others don't like what you've crafted your identity around.
Sengoku Strider

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Your entire post was a glorious read. Kudos to you.

I really enjoyed the heads up about the blog. They did a ton of Shooter Gallery posts that dig into early era shmups, and it was really interesting to read about them. Carnival giving the player an option to disable the music in the middle of the game was an interesting touch, it's rare to see arcade games, let alone early arcade games, give players configurable options or choices like this.
Thank you, and you're quite welcome.
o.pwuaioc wrote: My patronizing guy, you misunderstood what I was saying 100%. I'm a fan of late 80s and 90s games, so I don't know who you think you're arguing with.
The conversation went like this:

Volteccer: People talk about how it's not like the good old days of the 90s, but even these Usenet guys back in 1990 talked like their current gaming scene had lost the creative spark.

o.pwuaioc: Hard Drivin' dude has a solid point.

Me: Hard Drivin' dude does not have a solid point. Here are several reasons why.
There is however no denying that gaming changed drastically in the late 80s and many games focused on pushing the tech envelope over gameplay.
Uh...it did? Like what?
If instead of trying to turn every post into some sort of argument crusade you tried to understand what others were saying, you might end up skipping the masturbatory sophistry and actually have a real conversation or even learn something, as others have been quick to point out the fact that "TMNGIDDDW" means beat em ups, which, let's face it, are repetitive as shit.
Au contraire, I love learning!

I hope Hard Drivin' guy managed to survive all those...both games.
How many of these games were big hits? Meanwhile, even mediocre fighters and beat em ups (and the vast majority of them are) have people pushing them still.
You're going to have to give me examples here, because I don't know which games you mean. Final Fight & Streets of Rage are the only 90s arcade brawlers I can think of with any kind of name traction these days. Maybe Golden Axe.

Fighters...other than Capcom & SNK stuff (which isn't mediocre), VF & Tekken (which remain ongong franchises) and people with Mortal Kombat nostalgia, what else has any serious cult following?
"My good man." You know how much of an asshole saying this over and over again makes you sound, right?
I wrote it once. But if you prefer to be known as a bad man, I can dig it.
But to address your point, 1991-1994 had dozens of top notch, highly acclaimed games that hold up today. You named 5 over the course of 12 years. Minecraft, mind you, was first released in 2009.
2011-2014 had dozens of top-notch, highly acclaimed games that hold up today.

2011: Dark Souls, Skyrim, Dead Space 2, Terraria, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Binding of Isaac, Portal 2, LA Noire
2012: Hotline Miami, Journey, Dragon's Dogma, Dishonored, Forza Horizon, Sleeping Dogs, Fez, Telltale's Walking Dead
2013: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Guacamelee!, Kentucky Route Zero, Grand Theft Auto V, Super Mario 3D World
2014: Mario Kart 8, Transistor, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Divinity: Original Sin
But the rest of what you said is nonsensical in the extreme.
Balderdash. It was at at the very least sensical in the moderate.
I also wonder just how connected you were to others back then. SFII and MKII were fucking huge.
Plenty. I was beyond obsessed with SFII, it was practically all I thought about for the first 18 months it was out.

But kids now are online with their friends to play Rocket League/Rainbow 6/Fortnite etc. every night online, while chatting over discord. This was something we just couldn't do. We could go to the arcade when we could scrounge quarters, at times we could all get there together, and when our parents let us out of the house (which for a lot of kids wasn't school nights). For these kids these games are literally central spaces of their socialization. Games are also much more widely accepted as a normal part of kidhood than they were back in the day when they still had nerd-stigma to overcome.

These games just are more central to their generation than those games were to ours.
But you simply cannot compare the two landscapes, because everything about gaming has changed. It's now easier to play these games, many of which are free to play. You have more people with more access to the games than back then. You have videos that these kids can watch whenever and wherever. You're not comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to McDonald's cheeesburgers. It's not even remotely the same.
We are literally on page 4 of a thread whose premise is comparing present and past gaming landscapes.
But all these things would have come to you if you weren't so upset that others don't like what you've crafted your identity around.
Actually what

I don't even own any of those games. And for the record, my entire identity is crafted around Mahjong Kaigan Monogatari: Mahjong Kyou Jidai Sexy Idol Hen on the Sega Saturn. DOTA is for soccer moms.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

All this talk of Hard Drivin' reminds me of various clones that came out for MS-DOS at the time like Stunts and Stunt Driver. I could never figure out the right speed to hit this one type of jump in Stunt Driver that sent your car into a barrel roll, I'd just crash no matter what I did. I've not played Stunts but it seems to have more forgiving crash physics.

There's no doubt that the 3D was pretty rudimentary but it was still very impressive at the time to see how rapidly 3D engines progressed. id's "Doom" and Parallax Software's "Descent" were incredible considering how optimized and efficiently they ran on such limited hardware.
Steamflogger Boss

Skyrim fucking sucks.
Sengoku Strider

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:All this talk of Hard Drivin' reminds me of various clones that came out for MS-DOS at the time like Stunts and Stunt Driver. I could never figure out the right speed to hit this one type of jump in Stunt Driver that sent your car into a barrel roll, I'd just crash no matter what I did. I've not played Stunts but it seems to have more forgiving crash physics.

There's no doubt that the 3D was pretty rudimentary but it was still very impressive at the time to see how rapidly 3D engines progressed. id's "Doom" and Parallax Software's "Descent" were incredible considering how optimized and efficiently they ran on such limited hardware.
Now that you mention it, yes. It's amazing to look back and see just how lacklustre DOS gaming was back in the 80s. Wolfenstein & Doom, and then rapid advances in graphics cards with 3D capabilities really changed everything. When Windows '95 put an internet-ready OS on everybody's computer, the conditions were there for the scene to take off. By '98 it had become so ubiquitous in the span of a few years that the Dreamcast launched with Windows CE on board.
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Skyrim fucking sucks.
Oh no you di-in't.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

DOS players had to fall back on Leisure Suit Larry
Steamflogger Boss

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Skyrim fucking sucks.
Oh no you di-in't.
Lul.

Kinda exaggerating but I definitely didn't care for it.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

You're going to have to give me examples here, because I don't know which games you mean. Final Fight & Streets of Rage are the only 90s arcade brawlers I can think of with any kind of name traction these days. Maybe Golden Axe.
Simpsons Arcade, TMNT, Double Dragon, Battletoads, X-Men, River City Ransom, and Comix Zone are all just as big or bigger than Final Fight and Streets of Rage among the general populace, and BT of course is famously featured in that whole "do you have Battletoads!?" prank. Go on Reddit, post those four, and you'll get gushing fan[atics]. Double Dragon and Battletoads also have recent games out. River City Ransom might not be as big, but it definitely is a cult classics. Granted, some of these thankfully really vary the experience, but for a time, there was a bunch of shitburgers in the arcade.
Fighters...other than Capcom & SNK stuff (which isn't mediocre), VF & Tekken (which remain ongong franchises) and people with Mortal Kombat nostalgia, what else has any serious cult following?
You sound like a Monty Python sketch. "But apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water system and public health, what other fighters have a serious following?"

I see you also left off the biggest fighter of them all: Super Smash Bros.
I wrote it once. But if you prefer to be known as a bad man, I can dig it.
Oh, c'mon, you said "my dude" earlier. Don't troll, too.
2011-2014 had dozens of top-notch, highly acclaimed games that hold up today.

2011: Dark Souls, Skyrim, Dead Space 2, Terraria, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Binding of Isaac, Portal 2, LA Noire
2012: Hotline Miami, Journey, Dragon's Dogma, Dishonored, Forza Horizon, Sleeping Dogs, Fez, Telltale's Walking Dead
2013: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Guacamelee!, Kentucky Route Zero, Grand Theft Auto V, Super Mario 3D World
2014: Mario Kart 8, Transistor, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Divinity: Original Sin
Skyrim isn't the only shitty game on this list. I would pit the top 10 games of every year from 1986 to 1995 against all these and choose the former every time. Some decent games here, lots of derivative retro games that are above average, and some games that are only considered good because they stand out against the decrepit masses.
But you simply cannot compare the two landscapes, because everything about gaming has changed. It's now easier to play these games, many of which are free to play. You have more people with more access to the games than back then. You have videos that these kids can watch whenever and wherever. You're not comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to McDonald's cheeesburgers. It's not even remotely the same.
We are literally on page 4 of a thread whose premise is comparing present and past gaming landscapes.
Seriously, listen to yourself.

X: Modern gaming sucks.
Y: Games today make people money $$$!
X: It's a different landscape. You can't compare.
X: But you compared!

Do you see the problem with your logic? No shitposting, dude. Seriously and honestly ask yourself if you're being honest here with this logic, because this is some ditzy flunky mental gymnastics.
I don't even own any of those games. And for the record, my entire identity is crafted around Mahjong Kaigan Monogatari: Mahjong Kyou Jidai Sexy Idol Hen on the Sega Saturn. DOTA is for soccer moms.
You don't have to own them, but play them, like them, recommend them to others, defend them as A-list.

But I'll let everything slide on account of Mahjong Kaigan Monogatari. And the Saturn rocks.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I've been really particular lately with things I want to play. AAA and indies pretty equally lose me every other year or so. The only new games I've really thoroughly enjoyed in the last 8 months were Tunic and Ratchet. Unless Forza 5 also dropped in that time. But otherwise I'm in that frump where I just cant find much *new* that appeals to me. I find this happens a lot.

The best thing about modern gaming to me is that everyone (except Nintendo) is doing an excellent job at offering and preserving legacy content. Getting nonstop perfect ports of arcade releases I thought no one would ever care about porting has been a treat.

I really hate the Switch's core library/first party games save for Dread. But I play the thing a LOT because I have 30 STG's titles on it. Some of which are collections. It really still blows me away that I have the entire Darius series, a DoDonPachi, and ProGear on a Nintendo console and I didnt have to jump through hoops for it. Not to mention things I thought would NEVER be officially accessible to me like Dangun Feveron and Ketsui for the PS4.

Thats -crazy-.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Galacticon is the new game you're looking for.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70106

I haven't played Ninja Jajamaru yet but it also looks dope.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70110
My lord, I have come for you.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Enjoy what you enjoy. Period! Gaming, IMO. has NEVER been better. And I've lived through arcades, 8-bit, 16-bit all that. Having said that though, I keep getting less and less interested in the big budget AAA stuff. Just got Dangun Feveron and The Takeover in the mail today and these are the kind of releases that are my AAA's and the games I wait for all year. The good thing is that whatever type of game you're into, chances are you have plenty of it to choose from.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My take on modern gaming is that polgyons brought us simulators. Skidding round a corner in a racer is now taking the racing line, a double jump is now climbing a rock face, a shoot em up is now something akin to Ace Combat or some flight simulator. The best selling racing game looks like real life. All games takes Earths physics, gravity and locations into acount before the game design even starts.

Why is this a problem? Because it chokes creativity, artisitic design, games that feel fresh.

I was all for it whilst we entered the PS1/N64/Dreamcast era. But then the PS2 era hit and we got the same with more polyons, then we got the PS3 with more polygons and resolution, then we the PS4 with more polygons and higher resolution, then we got the PS5, more polygons and higher resolution.

If you bought a game console in 1995, that artistic surrealism was still present, whilst looking more like real life. The game design had to take corners because a full simulator wasn't possible. Pilotwings 64 was fun, but it wasn't ultra real. It had a funky soundrack and you felt like you were in another world. 3 decades later, you buy a game, it just looks kinda real. You're no longer buying a game because its a wow factor.

When I saw Lawnmower man, it depicted a future game in which you lied down, the graphics are tame by todays standards but the excitment of moving around that world was there for me sometime in the future. But I never got that version of the future. I got Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto and Halo.

Then after many years I realized it was the transition of gaming moving to this point that I enjoyed the most. The journey was what made it special, not the finish line.

In the 90s I played 10-60 minute arcade games and pumped 1000's of hours into them. Now I get games that take 100 hours to beat and I spend 5 minutes on them. I just don't feel part of the current modern world of gaming. It just feels stale. I remember how special Neo geo was in the early 90s. That was progress for me. Surreal, but done absolutely fantastic.

I can also say the same for movies. In the past 20 years the amount of movies that I would give the wow factor to I can count on one hand. Nothing risky anymore, just the same stuff rebranded and regurgitated.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
it290

Post by it290 »

neorichieb1971 wrote: I can also say the same for movies. In the past 20 years the amount of movies that I would give the wow factor to I can count on one hand. Nothing risky anymore, just the same stuff rebranded and regurgitated.
This just tells me you're not watching enough movies. Go watch Titane (just a random, recent example) and tell me it's just regurgitating another film.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, same for video games. it's a boomer perspective that just seems drenched in nostalgia. i will say that these days the mainstream is less interesting than it was however many years ago. things just seem dumbed down, lacking in nuance. This goes for films and videogames, but there is so much out there that is still great, fresh, innovative.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

God, what the fuck is that Sonic Frontiers game...
Gross.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Immryr wrote:yeah, same for video games. it's a boomer perspective that just seems drenched in nostalgia. i will say that these days the mainstream is less interesting than it was however many years ago. things just seem dumbed down, lacking in nuance. This goes for films and videogames, but there is so much out there that is still great, fresh, innovative.
But that's what the other side is saying. Sure, the rarity might be fresh, innovative, and fun, but those are not the mainstream, and they're few and far in-between.