Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mykaizer

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by Mykaizer »

I was wondering about latency in fighting games these days( although I want to create a thread all about gaming and input latency).
I want to keep this short but for an example. Let's say I want to experience the same input response time as a CRT tv but with a modern tv and a PS4 or how about a PC and PC monitor(Maybe the PC monitor has better response time?) I have not done enough research on this topic so maybe some of you can fill me in. Lets say I want to play Garou Mark of the Wolves on PS4 ( I'm guessing input delay would be determined on how well the port was done???) ((I realize there are two different versions, Hamster ACA NEOGEO and DotEmu(?))) Anyway, say the DotEmu is the better port. If I get that and set my TV to the best settings for gaming as well as directly connect my PS4 controller to the ps4 with the current controller model( which allows for less lnput lag I assume) would that then give me the response time of a CRT or close to it?(Maybe there will have to be extensive testing for this and I can imagine it depends on which TV you have).((Mine is a crappy 50' RCA 1080p)). Or maybe getting the DotEmu on Steam/PC and play that way through the PC monitor or how about through MAME or a NEOGEO Emulator? Anyway, thanks for the input in advance.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Myketosis wrote:Lets say I want to play Garou Mark of the Wolves on PS4 ( I'm guessing input delay would be determined on how well the port was done???) ((I realize there are two different versions, Hamster ACA NEOGEO and DotEmu(?))) Anyway, say the DotEmu is the better port.
IIRC, the standalone MOTW is by Code Mystics, not DotEmu. The latter's emulation is infamously horrible - I've heard gross things about their Metal Slug 3 and WindJammers, as well as Double Dragon II, and Shock Troopers master LordBBH has excoriated their version of that (while endorsing the ACA NeoGeo one).

Code Mystics' Garou, otoh, seems decently well-regarded. At least I've never seen teardowns of it like I have DotEmu's work.

Even then, I'd be comfier betting on Hamster. Comparing MVS Slugs and KOFs on CRT to the PS4 ACA versions on a gaming monitor, I'm hard-pressed to note any input delay, certainly nothing that's going to impact performance. Here's Dakou bodying some poor victim on ACA KOF98 (PS4) - the NeoGeo World Tour's KOF98 was largely run on that version, looking every bit as sharp as tourneys done on hardware.

All this said, AFAIK Code Mystics' Garou has netplay, while ACA definitely doesn't - so CM are the only choice in that regard, outside of MAME/Fightcade etc.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

you guys seen this Darius ass stage in Strive ?

https://youtu.be/883Y2ZYl29A?t=101

also me
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

First two KoF XV DLC teams revealed. Hardly expectation-shattering, but excellent choices all round just the same. Aside from maybe Gato (not a shot, he's just not all that iconic), these are all characters that belong on the main roster to begin with. But I know they can only budget for so many on the initial release:

https://youtu.be/QlyzD75j0JM

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yeah but will it have rollback :lol:

Meanwhile in Strive I've been playing Bacon a bit
https://youtu.be/f_6bgbuHOSI
null1024

Post by null1024 »

It feels weird -- I'm okay with the MOTW team being DLC even though I like all three of 'em there, but the Southtown team really, really, really feels like they should have been part of the bass game.
mind you, I guess it's not as deeply jarring as the fact that we're probably going to see Kim as DLC at some point

I guess my actual point is, don't sell characters who have a long-running history with the series as DLC. The Garou crew doesn't really show up much in KOF, but Geese's cohorts are mainstays. Yeah, Geese doesn't show up that often, but that's no reason to pull Billy and Yamazaki off the main roster to bundle with him.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It does feel strange, but I think it's just sort of the way it goes with modern fighting games and their constantly expanding rosters. I mean even Guile was DLC in SFV.

I was a big fan of the approach they took with SF3 back in the day where they treated nothing as sacred and threw out almost the entire cast of SF2.

I don't think devs should feel like any character is mandatory in the base cast or we end up with the same core rosters forever. Some of these characters like the original Fatal Fury cast have been reused for over 30 years now. An Kyo, Iori and the rest aren't far behind.

Heck even going back to SF Alpha (1995) there were only 4 iconic SF2 characters selectable: Ryu, Ken, Chun, and Sagat. The rest were added in later iterations. I think a lot of fans might cry foul of that approach today, but I miss that risk taking and creativity. I don't really care about storyline/ Canon type stuff, but the stories must have to continue to take place in the 90s or else all the characters should be 60 years old now lol.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I get that. I appreciate the Alpha roster a lot more than 3 though, since half of them are just wolves in (worse) clothing. Remy is unforgivably lame.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sengoku Strider

null1024 wrote:It feels weird -- I'm okay with the MOTW team being DLC even though I like all three of 'em there, but the Southtown team really, really, really feels like they should have been part of the bass game.
mind you, I guess it's not as deeply jarring as the fact that we're probably going to see Kim as DLC at some point

I guess my actual point is, don't sell characters who have a long-running history with the series as DLC. The Garou crew doesn't really show up much in KOF, but Geese's cohorts are mainstays. Yeah, Geese doesn't show up that often, but that's no reason to pull Billy and Yamazaki off the main roster to bundle with him.
It might seem like they held out mainstays to lure in dlc sales...okay, they did. But look at the main roster. There are already a ridiculous number of characters for the launch of a new fighter in this day & age, and it's wall-to-wall veterans, with only a couple of new characters:

You could point to a character here or there but honestly, there isn't much fat to cut without going with a really predictable roster. Having the dlc be characters people care about isn't a bad solution.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Really bummed they went for the 10 second 'cinematic' supers. I'll never understand how that became acceptable.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Blame Street Fighter.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh believe me, I 100% do.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That totally reminds me of M Bison's corner A-ism combo in CVS2 with the psych banish (downward axe chop). Except there he would run out of meter and the infinite had to end.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Guys i gotta jerk myself off a bit :lol:

https://youtu.be/E1vs2CUbk_g
BIL

Post by BIL »

Unironic hype for muh WEEB SOUL Image

I wish that fuckin game would get a modern re-release, I never got to play it. I just jack it furiously to the Monster Energy-chugging OST (BRUH THATS FUCKIN SHAWEEEEEEET) and cut (bwaaa!) scenes. "You've lost your mind..." Boss designs, actually Jack's design too, fuckin rawked.

Still gives me fuckin wood man Image SUPER SEXY/SUPER MACHO CYBER VIOLENCE
BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy fuck, nice :shock:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lol yeah i actually need to dust off the ps3 and start MGR again and finish it this time. I'm more able to appreciate 3D action gaem now.

as for fighting games:
Fuck lol KoF combos are so wild looking. I love them

And then there's DSP..... who happened to meet SF pro L.I. Joe in koF15 when they were both streaming!
someone did a side-by-side of the two personalities :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D7CkUwlbn0
BIL

Post by BIL »

Guys I think GaymerGayte won :o You sick fucks Image Image

Xiaohai and Dakou have been going at it, as expected. I love watching these guys' KOF98 matches, their back/forth is riveting. Similarly furied pace here but it feels kinda weird not seeing at least one Orochi Chris onscreen. :lol: Seems Vanessa/Ralf/Terry is the early god tier.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

hahaha oh my god that super. :lol:

best way to go.

anyway here's the Best of Burinju in GG Strive
https://youtu.be/XVEjFGazEdQ
Sengoku Strider

SNK are re-releasing Big Bang Wrestling from the Neo Geo Pocket Color on Switch. It was only released in Japan at the time, one of many victims of Aruze discontinuing SNK operations outside of Japan in 2000. I've never even heard of it despite having been big into the system; it's so obscure it doesn't even have a wikipedia entry. (Even Melon Chan's Growth Diary has one!)

On the other hand it looks freaking awesome, good choice of an obscurity to pluck from the catalogue:

https://youtu.be/0TdTC3OhmXA
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

KAI

Post by KAI »

Samsho V Perfect for EXA was location tested on mikado yesterday. It's a 1:1 port of the recently discovered rom apparently. I was really hoping they could add at least arranged music or insert higher quality voice clips on this release.

Even if VSP is already a 10/10 game and doesn't need to be touched at all, this seems to be the most barebones EXA release so far.

at least the new key visuals by Shirou Ohno (the illustrator from samsho 3) look nice.

Mikado stream
it290

Post by it290 »

Anyone else hyped for Capcom Fighting Collection? It's gonna be pretty sick to finally have all the Vampire games with proper training mode and rollback netcode, not to mention Red Earth, plus Hyper SF2 which is still the most fun version of the game to play in my opinion.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
it290

Post by it290 »

Ok, well, I got it, and it's pretty cool how there is full frame data on every move plus multiple training options available + online for every title. Some pretty l33t romhax here, really opens the games up for play in a way that was not possible before and I'm looking forward to playing some Vampire online although I'm ready to get my ass handed to me.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Never played the Vampire games before , but I've always wanted to. Nice to hear this is a good way to play. I'll be picking it up and my MUCH ANTICIPATED Pocky and Rocky from Gamestop today.