From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Austin

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Austin »

Re: Rom. Definitely a lower tier boss and pretty simple to do consistently. It just requires discipline/patience. More spiders only appear after it teleports (and it only seems to teleport a few times, depending), and the small handful of attacks Rom has all have "tells" that are super easy to spot and easy to avoid.

It was a fight that was rough at first for me because it was overwhelming. But after I realized how the attacks work and that the spiders are gone for good after killing them, it's one of the easier fights for me now. If you rush in and try to beat the crap out of Rom immediately you will probably die, but if you take your time, it's pretty basic.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Re Chalice Dungeons
Spoiler
There is a secret boss that can only be fought in a particular chalice dungeon that takes some doing to get to. Honestly I would just look up the quickest path but of course that's up to you Biru.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIIIIL okay you missed bits.

Go Forbidden woods, there's a cave near all the dog cages. two exits out of it!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think I know both the ones you mean (deffo got sad cabin lady, and her tonsil stone counterpart), but will see :cool: I noped out of a giant-infested poison cave earlier, guess it might be time to give a look now I'm a bit more established. TBH in all this outstanding quality I kinda forgot, this is luxury-class nightmare tourism :mrgreen:
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BIL wrote:I think I know both the ones you mean (deffo got sad cabin lady, and her tonsil stone counterpart), but will see :cool: I noped out of a giant-infested poison cave earlier, guess it might be time to give a look now I'm a bit more established. TBH in all this outstanding quality I kinda forgot, this is luxury-class nightmare tourism :mrgreen:
Sounds like a fun place to go for a stroll.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think I experienced Hard Gaming Terror for the first time in a while outside of the arcade just now :lol: Nursey... I was doing ok blind, versus her simple if intimidating barrages. But having gone all the way from the ground to the top without returning home, annihilating a small platoon of ninjas and piggy-chans, I didn't fancy my chances VS a fourth Purple Haze All In Muh Brain attack (seems they get worse as the fight wears on?). So I unloaded all me Bone Marrow Ash into the fiend. That dreadful wait between the vanishing and SLAIN - holy fuck I thought I was gonna get Purple Haze Feedbacked clean outta me Yargy boots. :shock: Pitch-perfect horror action/adventure.

Reminded me a bit of (spoiler) this from ZOE2. BB brings that game to mind a fair bit, having recently played its PS4 remaster. Similar rhythm of controlled, cagey circling and almighty blistering explosions of speed and fury.

---

God my dick has been like a lead sap for the last three hours. Image NIGHTMARE FRONTIER lives up to its twice-formidable name. Surprised to take out Miggy (can't call him Ammy, she my best girl 3;) in one shot. Got me faithful bonesaw a BLOOD ROCK from Mensis, so transformed R1 (vertical chops) tore Mig's downturned skull apart, back to front. Super sick satisfaction, catching him right on the chin with the edge of the blade. BAM! I notice a similar Critical effect on the Choir's giants. I was scurred (do not underestimate the enemy! The Hard Gayming is unforgiving! Image) but it was all ASFETIC, liek. :o

That cloud-rending RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAA! midway through the fight is some primally affecting shit. Beautifully HPL-inflected oneiric horror. BB is a rare game deserving of the term "weird."

Something I've gradually learned over this first run, is when to break lock and roll away. I was told early on by the BB wiki that "there's no difference between quickstepping and rolling," and that bad advice haunted me for a while. My ass there isn't a difference. :shock: :lol: Being able to dive-roll sharply out of a threat's reach, then quickly resume lock, solved a lot of problems I was running into by relying on quicksteps alone, which would keep me in the foe's orbit. I really dig the a la carte approach here; both locked and free movement have their advantages, it seems left up to the player to mix/match as they see fit.

Burinju I cleared out that cave, horeh shiet what an intense return :shock: My backstreet reverie was interrupted by the sight of a fucking brainsucker who I shot to death on sight, ofc. Creepy disgusting Insight-stealing fucks! In all seriousness, a monster/enemy design that provokes true disgust, as in, "Burn on sight." Hardcore. Image

Had a blast quick-sliding down the ladder after too. :cool:

I'm so glad this game exists, and that From survived from Otogi until now to make it. Much like that old favourite, it feels like it was made just 4 me. ;-; Weird oneiro-cosmic horror action/adventure with an aircraft carrier's worth of lethal weaponry and dapper couture.

Anyhoo, left the stove on back home, back gate's open, but I ain't rushing anything. Image Imma GTFO for a bit.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:Had a blast quick-sliding down the ladder after too. :cool:
as they say in creepypasta..
..you shouldn't have done that :wink:

Birru you stayed up all night playing didn't you!!! "you ol'bastard, get back to your room and take your meds" - The Nurse, probably.

Ahh miggy. yeah I found her super easy on my first run too, its because we both left frontier til the end and played it with upgraded weps and beefy characters.
The tonsil stone you can get at beginning of forbidden woods takes you to Lecture hall Floor 1, if you get grabbed by the amygdala before Yaharghul's big door - Cathedral Ward side.
I'd forgotten how convuluted this is :lol:

some say kosm tbh
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Birru you stayed up all night playing didn't you!!! "you ol'bastard, get back to your room and take your meds" - The Nurse, probably.
AH'M WAKIN UP! AH'LL FORGET EV-REE-FIIIIING! :shock: Image What a chap. Jizz, or some say JIZM. Image One of too many evening highlights: bonk!

Yeah Miggy definitely pulled the short straw, the poor bahstahd (Spidey, what another chap! felt so 1337 not only SCURRIN him from behind, but first 1337 dodging his... uh... boobytrap? I don't even know WTF). I headed straight to Tonsil Town after ROM, having already been grabbed n' smashed by the lesser miggy there earlier, and being most intrigued by the chap's suggestions (instantly thought of the Hunter's Nightmare entrance, which I'd already found).

But then, the big door was open, and I was all "COR, IM AVIN THAT - OH FUCC, ITS MUH ADOPTED HOMETOWN YARGYVILLE" After all the gashing and slashing there, racking up truckloads of goodies n' echoes, I'd also opened up two further areas, one cleverly hidden away (UCW), the other behind a great big fuckoff boss (Lecture Hall 2F), both of those leading to multiple sub-areas, boss battles, and shit-tons of badass combat/loot... so by the time I was finally ready to go at Frontier, yeah, Miggy was FUCC :lol:

I ain't even care tbh, still as amazing an experience as the preceding. Image On the first time through any game, particularly ones with RPG/choice aspects, I'm just here to enjoy the vibe. Already looking forward to a second run with a clear idea WRT build, ally choices, etc.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:
I ain't even care tbh, still as amazing an experience as the preceding. Image On the first time through any game, particularly ones with RPG/choice aspects, I'm just here to enjoy the vibe. Already looking forward to a second run with a clear idea WRT build, ally choices, etc.
Yeye, of course man I'm not saying ya did wrong, just pointing out for next time.

just like how you may have missed something by that brainsucker you mentioned :!:

re: Micolash. Gotta share this one again hahah
https://youtu.be/WLGUbPnfgwQ
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:re: Micolash. Gotta share this one again hahah
https://youtu.be/WLGUbPnfgwQ
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The cheeky fucker! Next time around I'm just gonna thrash him with R1 off the ninja assassination. Give (or rather GRAUNT~) the weird cunt an inch and he'll break out a mile of hentai tentacles.

This game's VA+script are consistently wonderful. It's not often I find a first-rate Japanese action game where English is not just tolerable, but a legit asset. Both Otogis were notable in this dept too - lots of small, memorable roles tailored to its stylised Heian fantasy - so it's been kinda nostalgic in that regard.

I think YT took great offence at the sweary description I gave my Spidey Revengeance vid, damn thing was processing all day. >w< REDO THAT SHIT YOUTUBE I'd forgotten how he wipes out that desk when you startle him :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Re - Dodging Vs. Rolling

With very few exceptions
Spoiler
certain chalice bosses
I am always locked onto the boss for the quick step. Love that shit.

Rolling is for pots.

Really glad you're digging BB Bil. It's a treasure.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Knew it'd be amazing at minimum from you guys' posts on it over the years. :mrgreen:

Speaking of, hory shiet, yeah Burinju I did indeed miss something :shock: Was up way too late last night, I ran straight past that ladder (while looking down the well adjacent to it). I SENSE THE PROXIMITY OF AWFUL TRUTH :o F doing this in broad daylight though, there's some games I just won't do that with (to this day I refuse to play the OG KCET Silent Hill quartet in anything earlier than twilight, cor I'm proper asfetic me Image) I know the first place I'm hitting up in tonight's session. Been getting creepy noises from beyond the door for a while now. Thought something was off earlier.

"They're in your hands, and soon...

Mine."

Aieee! Ok thanks doc Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Burinju's spoiler free guide on how to enjoy DLC and the final boss on first playthrough:
but still spoiler text just in case
Spoiler
Someone in Hunter's Dream asks you a question, say no.

When the next bossfight happens, fight the boss to your heart's content but do not kill
Now you've experienced boss without being overlevelled

Play DLC to completion.

Now you can kill final boss back in main game and finish NG
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler

With your little ass in the air like that Yosie-san, I suspect we could vigorously test your hypothesis all this godforsaken night - would DollyParton-chan not murder me in my sleep Image

Burinju wrote:Burinju's spoiler free guide on how to enjoy DLC and the final boss on first playthrough:
but still spoiler text just in case
Will leave it spoilered for now, but much appreciated on all counts. :mrgreen: Image This thing's not slowing down at all, last night's session included giant brain demolition for the betterment of country wildlife, ghosthunting in drag, and orchestrating a rueful gang war straight outta Fistful of Dollars (RIP Alfy-kun, I never meant it to be this way homie 3;).

Will probably bow out of the thread for a bit until I've knocked over at least Hunter's Nightmare. This is my last weekend for a bit to really park my backside, so spent this morning clearing out Nightmare Frontier. I hustled past some NICE shit en route to Miggy, Great Deep Sea be mine mine mine! Still figuring out how to reach a few of those highest peaks, and whether Spidey is just fucking with me again. I see you this time, asshole! :O

Of all the stages I've visited so far (I love that they're very much that - stages, carefully tailored, and with towering mood on top of that), NF is the one I'm most impressed by from a craftsman's standpoint. I know the poison will annoy some, I can take/leave it - but the sense of "difficult" terrain is amazing. I grew up around ironshore, that's pretty much how untamed rock be. Worst goddamn shit ever, not amenable to beings of flesh and blood. :twisted: Even the subtle elements of artifice - footpaths here, nooks there - are utterly convincing, evoking only a sense of otherworldly handiwork.

When I need my account suicided, I'm going to mail my physical copy to bloodf along with a USB drive containing a savefile parked smack in the middle of arachnophobe hell IE Mensis. :lol: I'm one myself, you see, and while they're not the exact type I hate most (the miggy that takes you to HN is actually a dead ringer), that scuttling movement, uuugh holy fuck! :shock:

Christ I can't STFU. Anyway, DollyParton-chan needs to slow her roll about old men under trees. Image I know I'm enjoying myself when I can't leave the damn capture button alone. :3

Lategame spoiler, tagged for fellow latecomers:
Spoiler

Ye DollyParton-chan I KNOW HOW THIS LOOKS OK FFS :O
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

All this BIL in Yharnam stuff made me fire it up last night. I actually did a few weeks ago too just to see where I was. I spent some time in a quaint town and then with an old friend at the beach. Spent enough time in the town to buy some souvenirs and kick sand in the face of this roided up surfer dude. Then I headed down to the beach.

Didn't go well the first time, but they saw it my way the second. Still amazing.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh fuck me Image CLEAR OUT LADS THE WHEELCHAIR IS A PIPEBOMB

NAWWWWWW!

And that is why I retired from the bomb squad to fix backs. Image

Pathos Ludovigo ;-;7 ty 4 guidance

God I wish I could practice these wilder bosses though. First attempt: beast mode tore me to shreds. Second and third, I got him by the ass after figuring out his bellyflop, which was brutally sabotaging my momentum, and died by attrition to his knightly persona. Fourth and final time, beast was an utter shit-encrusted trainwreck as he bellyflopped me twice, keeping me on the back foot the whole time - while knight went great. Image Ah well, got some decent GIF material from the latter at least. :cool:

Being able to take on Hunter's Nightmare in earnest, with its heavies merely giving/taking heavy punishment, as opposed to laughing off my most viciously back-ripping ambushes to KO me in two hits, confirmed it as my highlight of the run so far. A plethora of brutal horror/action scenarios. Couldn't believe when I ran into Marvin - and now, I can actually make out WTF he's supposed to be! :shock: He's just a bigger, starvier version of the Ol' Yharny bagheads, innit! I'm slowly improving, Burinju Image

New favourite toy: using Beast Roar to clap man-sized enemies outta their combos. I know it's presented as a "GTFO" escape, but I find it patchy there, and I know to avoid crowds anyway (in a crowd? seek the nearest bottleneck you daft brush!). As a calculated takedown, it's cheap and easy to connect with. Hard for the enemy to talk all that good shit when they've just eaten stairs and your blade's in their face. :lol: Also shoving enemies off cliffs and into traps, ofc!
Last edited by BIL on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Jealous. Would love to play BB again for the first time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's a bad break dude, you need that arm set ASAP :o Image
Stevens wrote:Jealous. Would love to play BB again for the first time.
Glad I can share finally ^__^ I hope those rumours of a 60fps PS5 remaster come true, and it's a good one. Image I wouldn't even care normally - this runs beautifully, imo - but I'm the sort who likes waiting for definitive editions to come around so I can nom 'em up. Would make an all but perfect game that much moreso.

Speaking of, found the Liver Shot of Gratia :lol: (RIP Gratia) Holy cow, dunno how sustainable it is, but I've been very loathe to leave my comfy saw/pistol duo outside of this thing. So mean. Every time they try to attack *BAM* staggered & sawed *BAM* *BAM* STABBIN DA LIVA like a regular BB Rutten, heeyah Image

Speaking of mean, tested out my late homie Paarl's KOKUJUUKEN (BLACK BEAST FIST Image) vs Mother Superior-chan ;-; That makes TWO cute church waifus mowed down! >_< The battlefield is no place for such delicate creatures, let alone ones driven mad by repression! If they would stop going for my throat/balls, I could save them with my big hog! But it's the OTHER chopper these ladies are all diving face-first into Image

...I don't feel too bad tbh. Image Crazy broad killed me with a plasma round to the back when I was about to finish off her poncy fencer pal - didn't twig that she, too, was yet another in BB's stacked roster of misguided "FIGHT ME IRL" souls. Image

Bolty Boi was the first to taste the wrath of KOKUJUUKEN's 10,000 seconds of tradition, but before him, the banana-peeling assassination fist was perfected in the darkness beneath Yharny. Image B E H O L D You wa shock? More like you wa SQUASHED M-I-RIYEEEET Image I wonder if Gratia+Beastroar might make a good anti-duellist setup.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Re: Ludwig

When he points his sword up you can sneak around back and whoop him good. Sword down means get the fuck away from him.

How are you liking the Research Hall? It is my favorite location in the game.

The two church hunters are always a fun time. I've never tackled them with a friend though. Maybe next go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote:How are you liking the Research Hall?
First-rate, expected no less. ^__^ I was pleasantly surprised at the combat intensity, given its enemies' pitiful states. After the total war of Hunter's Nightmare, I wondered if this was going to be a long cooldown/atrocity exhibition. Quickly disabused, as a pack of them chased me out a ward and off the staircase, to our collective splattering doom. Makes sense (I thought, as the stage reloaded), that even a botched infusion of alien godflesh leaves normal humans apt to rip and tear.

Tons of nooks and crannies to ferret through, as always (From seem to love their elevator secrets, I do too :cool:). The tenor of BB's stage/secret design reminds me a bit of DOOM, or perhaps Quake sans jumping. Tiny details, like a destroyed section of bannister, or a broken window, become harbingers of squirrel-tastic wonder. Also lots of macro-view, lateral-thinking "How do I get up/down there? At least without breaking my legs?"

Gimme the honest mysteries of impassable knee-high fences over the false promise of invisible walls any day. Image

The Living Failures felt like From's official apology for Celestial Envoy. :mrgreen: Not that CE was bad at all imo - god knows I spent long enough uneasily running about, wondering how to deplete that lifebar. But as cosmic horror, it's notably less outstanding than its bookends, Upper Cathedral Ward and Altar of Despair. So I was really happy with this operatically weird scene. "Hail the stars," brr. Knockout OST.

My favourite suit, and caution, led to a Lynchian moment I'll always treasure. Image Totally forgot until after, I'd already run into a pair of Yarghy Bois back in Outer Cathedral (was still rocking my Gaz Jordans then).

Maria (wicked intro) was a thrilling one-shot. I feel like killing the hunter who took out Eileen set me up well for BB's remaining duels - particularly against "god speed" opponents. This felt like a marginally more forgiving take, down to the self-harming opponent.

On every level, Not Innsmouth is my mahfuckin jam Image Mechanically, feels a bit like full-circle to Central Yharny, or maybe CY + Forbidden Woods' early, militant stretch. Lots of frenetic skirmishes amidst ambush-happy streets and houses. Packed it up shortly after bumping into Simon, gonna finish it off tonight.

Went back and took out Antler Boi, who I was gonna leave be, until he made a MUCHO MISTAKE-O as I left. I try to avoid killing NPCs wherever possible, both for practical reasons and because I'm a daft softy, but yeah. I'd already fought off two (surprisingly trivial) ambushes from Captain Ding-Dong, and also, I liked Simon. Image Was expecting something a lot nastier tbh - the full-blast chop to the neck wasn't done out of mercy. Image Dunno if I'll use his weapon, but unlike its late owner, its transformation lives up to the description. :shock:
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah I really wish you'd give the Souls series a go after this.
Although your posts impress upon me that BB really was FromSoft's peak for individual area design.
That's not to say soulz's designs were bad, obviously as From's Dickrider-in-chief I wouldn't say that.. but Bloodborne can make anything look bad.

Captain Ding Dong's whole schtick is he drinks lead paint or whatever that buff is.. which allows him to bully and not be bullied. If you tear into him before he drinks it, or he doesn't for whatever reason, he's a piece of piss.

I see like me you stuck with the Cleaver for most of the game.. and why not, I guess. It never stops being good.
..aand you took out that Crow hunter from Cainhurst who killed Eileen. Man fuck that guy! all my homies hate that guy

One of the things that fascinates me about Soulsborne is how different people struggle with different things. Living Failures was a multi-boss that many people find underwhelming, I put my 'multiboss' hat on, managed distance, kept my eyes open and took them out without much trouble.
My girlfriend got stuck on them for weeks and eventually gave up and asked me to do it for her. It's the only boss she's ever asked me to do that for. Maria then gave her similar trouble

After all that.. she had a much easier time with
Spoiler
Orphan
than Maria!? That is madness to me, who considers it to be one if not *the* hardest boss in soulsborne.

wait.. have you been to Cainhurst?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Eileen's target had the best sendoff I could've asked for - I was legit scared when I let him get away after the final V-Attack (he was 1.5shotting me, at that point), then this happened. Image

Indeed, pistol n' bonesaw, those mah boys Image I can tell there's reams and reams of cool stuff to master, but for a first-timer they've been great. Glad you pointed out the pistol's easier parry timing early on, it's great for tossing out pokes. For most of the run I was dreadfully under-tinged/skilled, it's only recently it's started doing serious damage in its own right. Makes me wonder about a gun-geared build. Swapped over to the Evelyn once I'd gotten it to +9, it's pretty much the same mechanically but marginally harder-hitting.

Of the weapons I've seen so far, I was most drawn to the Hunter's Saif - feels like a slightly more technical incarnation of the saw (which makes sense, given its item description - so well-written, those). I like the built-in dash on its folded R1, feels ninja as hell gliding under gunshots and tearing into the sender. I miss the saw's sweeping unfolded R2 though, I love using it to just chop through three/four targets in one staggering swing.

Yup, Cainhurst was amazing. :mrgreen: I took tons of pics and clips, need to do a proper restrospective wrap-up once I've made it to NG+.

Right from minute 01, even. I was all "Hmm! What an uncharacteristically wholesome scene!" while admiring the beautifully-rendered stallions charging through the biting cold, carrying me to my audience at the castle. Then got out and turned around to take a last admiring look at the modeler's handiwork and *BAM* ALREADY DEAD. :shock: :lol:

Really underlines a very HPL aspect of this game's horror, the sense of dreaming. Patches' door (and his mortal terror at your defeating it) works great here, too - how many dreams have we all had where we need to do something trivial, and utterly, inexplicably can't?

Definitely got my eye on Souls 1, after Squire's posts re the interconnectedness of its world design (several years ago now, that - I'm a waity sort :cool:). As with BB's clever little nooks and returns, I go full squirrel nutkins for that stuff. A big part of what drew me to BB above all of From's recent work was its repute for HPL-style weirdness, combined with a certain knowingly batshit neo-Victorian bloodlust (gatling wheelchair cackle goes here). But the brutally heavy, momentum-based combat is another huge incentive, as are From themselves frankly (can't overstate my love of Otogi and Echo Night Beyond), so I'm absolutely down for it.
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

haha, that blood doping motherfucker. Cheaters never prosper!! :x

fucking PARRY KING.

The rules of parries are as follows:
Fail 10 times then get a parry = you are a parry god.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

DSP vs living Fails

https://youtu.be/LAVrSh9SRLI

fucking hilarious edits
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:haha, that blood doping motherfucker. Cheaters never prosper!! :x

fucking PARRY KING.

The rules of parries are as follows:
Fail 10 times then get a parry = you are a parry god.
:lol:

Something I'd mention to fellow newbies - don't get hung up on the perfect 1shot/1parry play seen in pro runs. BB doesn't care if you get a lucky poke - initially I thought there was some kind of cooldown in place - and even if you trade, that can easily lead to a V-Attack, which will Rally your lost HP back (and even get more on top, once you've got Blood Reverie). With man-sized foes, quicker guns are good for checking aggressive charges, and can help you learn their timing windows. The most frenetic slashers/thrashers are intimidating, but naturally vulnerable; like chucking a roast turkey into a jet engine, you're sure to get a beefy hit firing into a hurricane of slashes.

That said, it's a learning aid, not a crutch or a license to mash. Faster/stronger/smarter enemies will rip your shit apart if you're just tossing out shots willy-nilly; you need to respect fundamentals of footing, spacing and timing, then take the odd punt. And bigger enemies will barge straight through shots, too, forget about flinching Ogres or Church Giants. Furthermore, ammo is obviously not plentiful, it's not DMC1's Ebony & Ivory.

Note that this discipline cuts both ways - if an enemy fires on you at close range, that's KIDS EAT 4 FREE; quickstep straight through the blast and tear into 'em. And on that note...
DSP vs living Fails

https://youtu.be/LAVrSh9SRLI

fucking hilarious edits
Masterpiece video, Ludwig World Order is a treasure. Image MAH LEEEG Image I forgot to mention - besides the steampunky Dream Cycle xenohorror and hardcore killing, DSP's adventures with Bloodborne DLC were another big incentive for me. :cool: Soon as I saw Whippy-kun make him eat a bucket of his own button-masher shit, I was like "Yeah, this an ill joint" Image "SONIC BOOOM!"

Man, Whippy's SFX & VA are so satisfying. And useful! Overhead chain slam sounds like a crate of dynamite going off. Those metal-grinding *KCHNKs* are a dead giveaway to ready a hair-delayed shot. If in the heat of battle you miss his raised shotgun, the *click* will keep you informed. Same with Eileen's downfall, his *shuff* *shuff* teleports are your cue to respond with a discerned *BLAM*

(it suddenly hit me, dealing with Yarghy mkII's Molotov chuckers, imported straight from Hemswick, why they were so annoyingly good at nailing me from offscreen - no audio cue! you don't get that sickly-satisfying, gunsmoke-charred report)

(on the same subject, the enemy resurrect animation via Sinister Woman's bell is beautifully twisted. the way they "swim" up from the void below the floor, drenched head-to-toe in blood and audibly heaving up lungfulls *glup* *blup* with groans of pain, my time spent hunting down those ringers was particularly memorable for it. by contrast, the Chalice's zombie troops come up like mannequins on strings, totally stone-dead. creepy, excellent detail. Those three words sum up my feelings on the Otogis and Echo Nights, too)

(x3 tangent combo! the way Hunter's Nightmare zako - the guys who presumably graduated from the rabble to become accredited Hunters - resemble my beloved Dogmen, yet display absolutely none of their crazed excess or yells is so understatedly creepy. The most I've heard is one (accompanying a Boomhammer) raise the alarm with a stout "Yes. Kill!" Otherwise, all business. Very smart art direction on From's part)

(fuck it imma go x4: I love that they gave that one lookout in Cathedral Ward's backstreets, near Arianne's window, a unique set of taunts. In my run at least, it's the first time you're seeing them in quite a while since leaving Central Yharny, so it makes sense they get a small new lick of paint. I've heard "Bugger! Where'd the beast go?" "Kill! Kill!" and a particularly malevolent, blood-lusting "Foooound youuu!")

You weren't kidding about the immortal satisfaction of the saw's transform attack, the sound it makes amidst that shower of sparks is so gloriously hideous. :twisted: Like I'm killing motherfuckers with a tuna can lid :shock: Doesn't even look like a particularly forceful blow, but just like an improperly-handled tuna can, the horrid results as damage racks up and flesh tears open silence any notion of dissent. "A symbol of the hunt" indeed.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Went back to Cainhurst last night and took my time. Murdered almost everything, got to Martyr and died. Then realized I forgot to open the short cut (we forgot to hook up the bra!). It was close but he got me in the end.

Went back (short cut opened), beast pellet, and went berserker on him. Broke him out of his casting quick and was able to get to parries on him.

I think I had 13 vials left.

If anyone cares my build is level 140. Vit (almost maxed) and skill (50) with end at 18. Visceral attack is over 5000 with the buff from the two claw mark runes.

Btw Bil, have you seen the transformed church picks charged l2? It might be the best attack in the game, especially if it lands and you hit the follow up.

Then I made some headway into the Unseen Village. Lit the lamp before the three hunters and left.

And then I made just a little headway into upper cathedral.

Finally I wanted to see if anyone needed help with Ludwig. Cold ring, nothing. Even hunters bell was quiet.

I won't miss Return To Yharnam next spring and none of you should either. Even with Elden Ring on the horizon. I think the return would be dope, especially if a few here do it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/com ... arch_24th/
BIL

Post by BIL »

You weren't kidding Stevens! Much as its description alludes, the Church Pick is utter utilitarian carnage. Image :mrgreen: Deffo on the shortlist for buffin' up in NG+. I love the R1 thrashing, looks like a man demolishing a rickety bookshelf... only, it's no bookshelf, but SCREAMIN BLEEDIN FLESH AND BONE :shock:

Only had an hour total Sun/Mon - thought (with a slightly heavy heart) I was on breezy track to finish Innsmouth. Uh...

Spoiler

What a terror! RIP Cosmo. You were one hard cunt, you crazy mannish boy. I was tempted to back off and clear some more Chalices, as he was KOing me in three solid hits, while my 2xClawMark V-ATK was doing maybe 2500. Decided to stick with it, as fighting a god should be terrifying and demoralising, even a tragic one (and also, I'm in no hurry for this trip to end).

Phase 1's really not too bad. Very parryable/zoneable, once you absorb his circular windups. Overhead pounce = dash through, free eats. Screaming sweep and overhead, let rip just as he goes mute - same principle as Sharky Bois' big swangs. Other attacks are trickier, but doable in a pinch. Placenta (Long) = don't dodge in advance, backblast will get you.

It was Phase 2's sheer ferocity and area bombardments that really gave me a hard time. Took a while to figure out how to not get T-boned between lightning and a charging Cos, lateral quickstep on reaction let me focus on him without getting fried. Thank fuck he doesn't get a fresh lifebar, I really would've gone dungeoneering until I was a bit stouter. Evading his frenzy rushes with a combination of straight quicksteps (when he dives headlong at you) and lateral ones (when he swings horizontally - wait to see which side he's coming from, then dodge into the blade, or go for a parry if you please) was another turning point. Wore him down with Marrow-assisted Evelyn, mainly. Image

Mercy for the poor, wizened child... mercy, oh please...

Muh feels! Weird Hard Action! Image Killer stage, dynamite boss, as expected. I'd uncovered The Secret Of Larry just beforehand, guess he's my next target.

"hey u figured out what Larry Skull is for good jarb hunterbro :3 "
"Sweet! What'd I win?"
"Cleric Beast But On Fire ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 "

~Epilogue~

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, accepting all that is, and ever will be

*screaming* *gunfire, explosions* *horrific crushing sound*
"OPEN WIDE MOTHERFUCK- say, Whippy-kun. Does the sky look different to you today?"
"GUOAAAR- Oh yeah. It kinda does, now you mention it!"

drauch

Post by drauch »

BILborne is so great, been diggin' all the vids and the write-ups. Good job on the Kos. He was toooooo scary for my first time :oops:.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I think my 1st time with Kos took me five or six tries. Ludwig? Lets not discuss that, close to 30.

Re: Failures. Favorite co op fight in the game, less fun solo.

Kos's 2nd phase is just mayhem. He loses his shit and it is really important to:

A - Not panic. This is a killer in every From title.

B - Not mash attack. At best your one going to get two hits here. One and a calculated dodge is safer.

Ideally he transforms when he is weaker, shortening the amount of time yoh have to deal with his tantrum.

C - Know your windows when you can hit him.

D - Fight in the water. This basically negates his lighting attack.

I've been trolling hunters bell and helping people out. Poor guy was in Defiled stuck on
Spoiler
Watchdog
for days.

He messages me saying he has one more go in him. We kill the thing and he is elated. That is where this game shines most for me now. Love r/huntersbell.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You guys ever co-opped Micolash? what a fucking nightmare