Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Favorite Joysticks?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 pm 

bcass wrote:
Presumably that oversized actuator is compatible with the Sanwa JLF Silent (ver. B)? I'll be replacing a Hayabusa Silent stick, which has a slightly too generous deadzone for my liking.

AFAIK, the only difference is what type of microswitches are being used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:21 pm 

HSS-0136 with some slight mods. I actually got it from some guy on here a long time ago but the thing is amazing. Click and responsive to fireball motions and all that plus buttons are smooth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:29 pm 

Finally got around to sticking a Brook UFB into a Virtua Stick High Grade. It was a pretty half-arsed, solder-free mod, involving salvaging the original USB cable and daughter board by cutting and splicing some wires, and I've forgone PS4 touchpad functionality altogether, but I'm really happy just to have a good PCB in there. Even considering the touchpad issue (sadly, this is the pause/menu button in some PS4 shmups), it's a much less limited stick than it was before! It's always nice to give an old stick a new lease of life.

Thinking of switching in a yellow balltop and buttons, too, to give it some of the vibrancy of the Namco PS1 stick. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:30 pm 

Klatrymadon wrote:
(I'm not including any of my 360 or PS3 sticks in this, since those still feel basically contemporary to me and are compatible with PC/newer consoles in most cases, etc.)

I could say about the same about my ASCIIware PSX stick (first "official" PlayStation stick, apparently), for the reasons as follow:

1) I wanted to play Baraduke PSX port with it on actual hardware & RGB CRT first and foremost,

2) as the first PSX stick I've bought that still was any good for playing real-time games with it, left me no real choice other than to keep it, also

3) works with a USB adapter on my PC, obviously a great number of PS2 games, hopefully some DC games via adapter (I've yet to try this out), although no such luck with my PlayStation-to-GameCube/Wii adapter. The latter are a weird bunch - say, worked with one of my DualShock 2s, but not with the other (both legit Sony products). 'Cube SoulCalibur 2 is fully playable with two most rudimentary PSX (legit Sony), digital-only gamepads, but not with the stick. Ever since I've discovered 'Cube games via Nintendont merrily work with Classic Controller Pro, this had become even less of a real issue.
In fact, I do so little gaming anymore that the sick under my roof is more of a middle age crisis symptom rather than genuine gaming device. Still, I'm glad to demonstrate playing a credit or two of a shmup with it to my nephew every now and then, as a piece of gaming culture that's prehistory for him. On said RGB CRT, no less + my home soundsystem... His very own gaming rite de passage is likely going to be (or it was already) Minecraft on PC (I'm cool with that, sounds a lot like LEGO to me).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:27 pm 

I have two joysticks, one that I use for fighters and one for shmups.

For fighters I actually jumped on the Korean stick bandwagon and got a crown 309 mj. I liked it quite a bit, but it wore out around the time GG Strive released so I swapped it out for a low collar Taeyoung Fanta, and I actually like it even more than the Crown stick.

I'm not the best at articulating these things, but I think it comes down to the extra travel time required on Korean levers to trigger an input, meaning it's more suitable for people who like to really manhandle their joysticks when they get into a tight match (like me!). And of course playing Tekken with Mishima characters feels great on it with its quick returns to neutral.

For shmups I use a stick with a Seimitsu ls-56. I have even less to say about this one besides its good for tap dodging and I also like to use it for early era fighting games like SFII and Neo Geo games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:07 pm 

I wanted to see if the VSHG would look nicer with some more colourful buttons, so I decided to attempt a tribute to the Namco stick. :P

(Internally it has a Brook UFB, and the JLF has been modded with a 1mm oversize delrin actuator and a 1.6 gauge spring, supposedly making it 60% stiffer than a stock JLF. Feels amazin', almost like a Seimitsu.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:16 pm 

That looks nice.

I'm currently building a new stick, using the Brook Universal board with a TMX case and a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT (with silent mod done by Paradise Arcade shop). I've wired the stick up, and unfortunately diagonals aren't working. Up, down, left, right work fine. I have no idea if the issue is with the stick, the Brook board, or the TMX which interfaces with with Brook board with some of the connections going through it (including the stick).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:47 pm 

Hmm, that's a weird one. The first thing to check is usually that the 5-pin JST connector is the right way round, but if it wasn't then your cardinal directions would be wrong, or unresponsive. The Brook board itself has no problem at all with diagonals or handling multiple inputs, so it could well be that there's something happening with the TMX itself. Maybe try hooking up your stick and buttons to the Brook board and then connecting it directly to your PC (via a USB A-to-B/printer cable, if you have one)? If everything responds normally in something like JoyToKey then it must be the TMX, I guess...

This would still be a pretty disheartening result, though, since the case is surely designed precisely for housing this kind of PCB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 am 

Fortunately, I have the Brook Fighting Cable (not needed for the TMX as it comes with all the cables), so I was able to test the Sanwa and Brook Universal Board in isolation from the TMX circuit, and diagonals are still not working. I don't have a second stick to test with the Brook Universal. Any ideas how I can narrow the problem down to either the stick or the board? If I have to return the stick then it's going to be the best part of two months before I can use my stick again, as it took over a month for the modded Sanwa to be delivered from Paradise Arcade Shop. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm 

Is it worth grabbing a cheap Zippy stick and trying that out? Sadly I don't have any spares at the moment, or I could have sent you a decent one to mess around with. What's the extent of the modification to your JLF? Can you hear the microswitches clicking when you hit diagonals? I'm just wondering if something has been botched during assembly...

If there's nothing wrong there, and another joystick works fine, it could be that you have a dud Brook board, but I've never heard of any problems with them before - it'd be awfully unlucky!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm 

Crisis averted. I swapped out the standard plastic actuator with a 2mm metal one, and it now works. I also put in a 2lb spring. The stiffer spring is going to take some getting used to, I'll have to give it a few weeks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 am 

I take it the Hori Real Arcade Pro is decent? Looking at the one with the SFII Cab artwork on it. How's it as a general-purpose stick without modding?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 pm 

I've got the RAP Pro N and have had the RAP 4 Kai in the past, which both have the same Hayabusa stick and matte/textured buttons as the SFII version. They're not my preferred ones, but I can't fault them as stock parts go - the Hayabusa lever isn't a million miles from a JLF in terms of feel*, having about the same engage and throw, similarly low spring tension, etc, and the buttons are as hair-trigger responsive as Sanwa's, too. They're certainly arcade-quality parts, and you definitely don't need to mod the stick if you don't want to.

(If you did want to, though, a JLF is a drop-in replacement with the standard flat plate, and an LS-32 or 40 will drop in with the stepped SS plate - just use the two middle screw holes. Alternatively, there's an octagonal restrictor gate for the Hayabusa that you could install if you wanted to use a 1mm oversize actuator, which, sadly, doesn't seem to work correctly with a square gate.)

*its construction is actually quite different, though!

Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:39 pm 

I had the Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa Silent. It's a solid stick, but felt like the lever could have done with a slightly bigger actuator, and the silent buttons are super super sensitive. More sensitive than any other button types I've ever used. I managed to get some 1CCs with it, but think I would struggle on some of the harder shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:12 am 

Anyone try the new firmware for the Mayflash sticks? They claim to have significantly lowered input lag and from what I heard and tried so far, that definitely seems to be the case. Seems to be more on par with the RAP4/V/N and the Qanba Obisidian now (though the latter is still the sexiest PS4/PC stick I own).

Offline Profile