Gradius IV (AC,PS2,PSP)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

@ Wes

No, we believe you aren't somr random guy, honest :wink: I'd believe Desperado's strategies, since he's much better then I at this game--hope you 1cc soon!

@ Desperado

Congratulations! No, you don't need to post a screenshot unless you want to, but it would be helpful if you wrote down some of your other statistics (version used, etc) so there aren't so many "?" in the scoreboard. A 1cc though, thats pretty cool!
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Then let me fill some of those gaps:

Initials: DES
Sex: Male
Difficulty: Default (don't know the number, probably normal)
Aquarius
Weapon Type: 4 (Armor piercing, Vertical Mine)
? (what does this mean?)
Revision: PS2
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Wes112 wrote:I don't have a score yet but I've started playing this game again after a long break and I'm coming real close to a 1cc. I can one 1 life it up until I get to the stage six boss but I always die there and use all my lives. After I use about 10 continues to beat him I can go through the rest of only losing 1 or two lives in the last level. I've watched alamone's vid on youtube millions of times trying to figure out a good strat for that boss but nothing works. Is anyone able to beat him with any consistency?

P.S:

I've been around these boards for about 6 years but I've too been lazy to make an account.

I don't want to come off as some random person ( Even though I probably do) :D
I don't think there is a strategy that always works. You just have to learn to dodge his attacks really fast. However, there you can bring some calculability in the battle by following these steps:

- When he first opens his mouth, bring in some shots and fly inside the mouth. Stay there until the tentacles move away and let you out. Alamone uses that too.

- When the mouth opens another time, shoot at the core, however be attentive as it will fire a fast horizontal laser shot in your direction.

- Now the tentacles AND lasers from the core will fire at you like crazy. Try to dive behind the first series of green tentacle bits and bring in some shots. Now while this phase persists stay in th eopposing part of the screen where the core is and concentrate only on evading the green tentacle shots. When he is about to stop firing, move to the bottom of the screen to gain an advantage for the next phase.

<optional phase>
If you scored really many hits until this point, the tentacles will shoot their heads on you. They will shoot both heads 3 times. Dodge them by moving in the opposite direction of the curvature of their trajectory.

- The boss will now give you curtain fire from 3 sources. Try to stay at the bottom of the screen at the beginning so you get into the lower compartment. Concentrate on dodging the green bits while the boss moves up. Once he moves down fly close to the core and shoot. If you made enough hits, the center beam will stop which gives you some space to move.

- The upper and lower spawns (that assisted in the curtain fire from before) will now fly towards you shooting. Kill at least one of them or the lasers will surely overpower you.

- Phase 3 repeats. Try to score as many hits as possible, or you will get caught in another curtain fire that is much harder to evade since the green bit spitting tentacles will now directly aim at you.

- If you did everything right, the boss will now self destruct. Move to the upper or lower left corner of the screen. He will spit 2 circular series of lasers at you. One series can be dodged by simply staying in the corner while for the other one you need to move to a little bit to one side.

Use boss rush to train evading his shots. I cannot give a better advice at the moment.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Great, I'll update it now. Congrats man, thats real impressive.

I'm not sure if this will be of interest to either of you guys, but Gradius Army has some strategies about Gradius IV (as well as tips on Parodius), albeit in poorly translated form: http://members.tripod.com/gdoti/

EDIT: The "?" is for the Shield (Force Field or ... well, Shield :roll: )
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Oh. Ok, it's Force Field then.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Thanks for the tips Desperado. I took a little break from this game for I while because I was getting pissed off at that boss. If I do 1CC this I'll be sure to get a picture for proof.

Does anyone else feel this game is harder than gradius 3 arcade. I can't beat that game on 1 credit either but I have made it to the last level on multiple runs. The slowdown in that game is very helpful.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

tviks, the Gradius master, has written before that he also feels this game is the hardest of the Gradius games, because of its sheer randomness.

But for me, they are all difficult! G III gets more unforgiving faster, whereas in G IV, outside of the Bubble Stage and maybe the Moai stage, the first half of the game (before 6st.) is not too bad!
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

The problem with Gradius III is, that it has numerous design flaws which make it almost impossible to get up if you die once. For example, if you die at stage 2 boss (eye with bubble) you end up with no extras except for one or two speedups. You have to restart from an earlier point to get at least a missile which is still hard enough. In stage 3, if you die in the area between the labyrinth and the sandhole (the tunnel with the many enemies) you don't get ANY extras at all!

What else makes this game hard? Too many stages, a large hitbox, slow speedup.

Gradius IV on the other hand makes it easier to power up, but has many random deathspots, like the Moai or bubble stages. Cell level can be beaten with routine if you shoot the venes in the right order.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Wes / 304900 / M / Virgo / 1-6 / weapon type 4 / default / PS2

Stupid deaths in stage 4 and 5 cause me to end up with one life starting stage six
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Question to tviks:

As you should know, the game switches to what I call "Berserk-Mode" when you play too good, that means you will get more enemies and bullets.

Yesterday, I 1lifed to stage 6 to the place where those tentacle things wait for you. Instead of the 1-2 that usually appear at one time and which you can dodge, I got 3+ which more or less pwned me.

My question is, under which circumstances the game really switches to "Berserk Mode" and which places become really dangerous after this. If you have a good tactic for the tentacle thingies in berserk, please let me know.

Thanks
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

@Wes, got it, keep it up! Don't imagine yourself in Game Over :roll:

@Des, the checkpoints makes Gradius III tough for sure, but also I feel the difficulty in GIV, except for the random as hell bubbles stage, is pretty forgiving at first and goes up... steeply, but not as steeply as Gradius III... thats what I feel. Both are tough though, but GIV at least gives you a little more playtime to get in the groove with two ridiculous easy first stages and a fairly easy 4st.
kozo

Post by kozo »

kozo / RY / 156 800 / M / Cancer / 1-3 / G4A / FF / 5 / PS2
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

Desperado wrote:Question to tviks:

As you should know, the game switches to what I call "Berserk-Mode" when you play too good, that means you will get more enemies and bullets.

Yesterday, I 1lifed to stage 6 to the place where those tentacle things wait for you. Instead of the 1-2 that usually appear at one time and which you can dodge, I got 3+ which more or less pwned me.

My question is, under which circumstances the game really switches to "Berserk Mode" and which places become really dangerous after this. If you have a good tactic for the tentacle thingies in berserk, please let me know.

Thanks
I believe Gradius works like this (or at least Gradius II)
static rank- rank based on your powerup level
dynamic rank- rank on @ 4 options, gradual increase the longer you survive at max options

dynamic rank drops a bit upon death

I could be totally off but that's how it seems to work.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

New Score

Wes112 / WES / 428600 / M / Virgo / 1-9 / weapon type 4 / default / PS2

I'm finally making it past stage 6 consistently now. All I have to do is stop having so many stupid deaths.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Updated! Nice score Wes. I'm sure you'll get there soon. I understand what you mean by 'less stupid deaths', I've often had that same crutch in other games which would take me a little time to overcome. Welcome to the scoretable kozo :wink:
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

I finally 1cc'ed this bastard :D

Wes112 / WES / 842800 / M / Virgo / 2-5 / weapon type 4 / default / PS2

I had so many runs this past week of making it to the last level with 3 or more lives and on this run I made it there on my last life. Somehow I made it all the way to the moai stage on the second loop without dying. All I have to do now is 1cc gradius 3 arcade to complete the whole series.

I took the picture of my score from my cell phone.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh24 ... 081552.jpg
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

@Wes:

Do you have a tactic for Moai that always works or do you beat it aggressively?

My brand new copy of Gradius Gaiden arrived yesterday... ahh the colors!

:D
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

@Desperado:

I follow the same route through that level that alamone uses in his youtube video. It took me a while to get down but now I can usually make it pass that level without dying. If you were talking about the boss, I just try to survive until it dies.

I also ran into the same problem as you with the tentacles going crazy in stage 6 if you make it there without dying. The way I deal with this is by purposely dying right at the beginning of stage six in order to bring the rank down. That way if I make it to that last section of the level, it is much easier to pass and saves me a couple of lives.

Heres the link to the youtube video if you don't know who I'm talking about (Even though you probably do).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9iH9QhkNA

*Edit*

Now that I've look at the video again, I can tell you that I did make some changes from alamone's strategy for the moai stage.

At the 2:05 mark of the video where he stays back at the left side of screen, I try to go all the way to right side before the moai get a chance to attack me.

Also at the 2:38 mark, he will go up to the higher route and then come back down whereas I find it easier to go down.

I hope this kinda helps you.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

@Wes

Congrats man! I'm glad you got through this beast of a game... I can imagine you're pretty happy. Good luck on the Gradius III!

And damn man, for having just done your first 1cc of it you got pretty far on the loop!

@Des

Lucky guy, I've been looking for a new Gradius Gaiden for a while now. Which version did you get, the original or a Best/Psone books re-release?
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Wes112 wrote:@Desperado:

I follow the same route through that level that alamone uses in his youtube video. It took me a while to get down but now I can usually make it pass that level without dying. If you were talking about the boss, I just try to survive until it dies.

I also ran into the same problem as you with the tentacles going crazy in stage 6 if you make it there without dying. The way I deal with this is by purposely dying right at the beginning of stage six in order to bring the rank down. That way if I make it to that last section of the level, it is much easier to pass and saves me a couple of lives.

Heres the link to the youtube video if you don't know who I'm talking about (Even though you probably do).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9iH9QhkNA

*Edit*

Now that I've look at the video again, I can tell you that I did make some changes from alamone's strategy for the moai stage.

At the 2:05 mark of the video where he stays back at the left side of screen, I try to go all the way to right side before the moai get a chance to attack me.

Also at the 2:38 mark, he will go up to the higher route and then come back down whereas I find it easier to go down.

I hope this kinda helps you.
As far as I can tell, even Alamone beats the level aggressively with shield usage (which doesn't help you if you make a mistake and die losing everything).

I have a tactic that almostalways works for the first part of the level and the first half (until the savepoint) of the second half. And from the savepoint if you die after that.

About the tentacle guys, I found that the best way to get past this is to try to kill them fast. Fly close to them so the tentacles just don't touch you. Line up your options diagonally, so you get a good chance to kill 1-2 of their tentacles, which is better than killing them in the whole as they will respawn, then you can easily dodge them. If you have double, you should line them up diagonally from bottom to top, then you cann hit their body directly.

The Moai boss isn't hard to beat if you use the same tactic as Alamone does. Smart option positioning isn't that essential.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

@Carmen: A PSOne books re-release. But I'm not a die-hard collector, so I don't care.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Carmen wrote:Great, I'll update it now. Congrats man, thats real impressive.

I'm not sure if this will be of interest to either of you guys, but Gradius Army has some strategies about Gradius IV (as well as tips on Parodius), albeit in poorly translated form: http://members.tripod.com/gdoti/

EDIT: The "?" is for the Shield (Force Field or ... well, Shield :roll: )
I wish I saw this post earlier on because there really are some great tips on the link you posted Carmen.

The best one I found is the one that explains how to kill the stage 6 boss very fast. You don't have to set your options exactly how the person tells you to. You can set them up in a vertical line instead (The last option should be a little bit below the center of the screen).

It took me about 30 - 45 mins figuring out the correct positioning of my ship and how much I should shoot the boss when he opens his eye the for the first time, but now, if I enter the fight with four options, this is now one of the easiest bosses in the game.

There is also a strategy for killing the stage 3 boss fast but I haven't gotten that down yet.
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Galaxius / JMD / 663,500 / M / Aries / 2-3 / Type4 / default / PS2

Finally the one-credit completion.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Congrats man! :D
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Thanks, it only took a couple YEARS.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Aquas / LWS / 243,200 / M / Capricorn / 1-5 / G2A / FF / default / PS2

I died at the beginning of Stage 4 and died twice trying to recover. Recovering in this game is actually pretty well implemented as far as I've experienced.

Pretty fun game. Maoi stage is nutso.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Nice :wink: Is recovering well implemented? I mean its better then Grad III for sure... haha.
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Aquas / LWS / 280,500 / M / Capricorn / 1-5 / G4A / FF / default / PS2

I would say it is, because every run I have I usually always have a recover onto another stage. That is excellent.

I've moved onto using G4A, it is superior for quick kills. In this run I died at very end of the maoi heads, leading to the boss. Almost to stage 6!

Ya'know, this game is really growing on me. Pretty damn good soundtrack, even a few catchy songs, but the others have a great beat, like the lava part. And the soundtrack seems to segway into itself very well. The boss rush is fricken epic!

Keepin' ya busy, Carmen =D
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Aquas / LWS / 399,600 / M / Capricorn / 1-6 / G4A / FF / default / PS2

Oh man. That cell boss got me two times with its suicide lazers at the end. Grr!
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

The 64x2 lasers? Yea those are tricky ><

Yea I love the music in the game too... it doesn't get much love though? I especially remember liking 2st. and... one of the later ones. I know them by track number on the soundtrack but not by in-game as I only ever got as far as the Moai stage :roll:

Keep up the progress :D
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策