Gradius IV (AC,PS2,PSP)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hmm, I didn't hear that about the PSP version. I've heard theres a rearrange mode, where they changed the difficulty of the game, in addition to an arcade perfect original? Anyway the one PSP score we have is generally in line with what a player could get by Stage 3, but I'll put a note about it up.

Don't worry about how small the improvements are Tiktak, even the slightest improvements should be recorded I think! After all, you must see how small my score updates were on the RayCrisis board :lol: So please post any new scores you make.

Yes, I remember my runs in this game being horribly inconsistant too, because of the damn bubble stage. Seriously, I think that stage is harder then either the magma or moai levels. I remember I would play once and get past the bubble stage and die at the boss, the next ten times I would die in the middle of the bubble stage, and so on, and so on!
tviks

Post by tviks »

The only difference between PS2 and PSP is that PSP version as default has slowdown which is not present in the original or the PS2 port. Also they added the smaller hitbox option, so both of these should just be prohibited. There is no change in the bubbles, maybe you just played on a different difficulty?

And I still don't get this hate for the bubble stage. When I'm playing through the high loops, after stage 2 I actually sigh of relief for the duration of the pushover bubble stage. Then again at stage 4 the hell continues. The bubble core is also one of the easiest bosses in the game, no suicide bullets whatsoever.

And come on guys, can't any of you even beat the first loop? If you did, I think your view on the bubble stage's hardness would change.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

My bad...for some reason Gradius 4 was still set at the default "Easy" difficulty. That would definately explain why the bubbles were so easy to cut through.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Ok, so then we should just require that PSP players (if there are any more) change the options to Arcade standard.

Thanks, now I feel much better :roll: Now I want to get the game just to try 1cc'ing to prove... something... to tviks. I don't really know, either. I do agree that the Bubble Core boss is easy, at least.

Sometimes.
jpj

Post by jpj »

jpj / JPJ / 233,300 / M / (not sure) / 1-5 / Default / PS2

not sure what sign i use, whatever the default one is. use type 1 with forcefield.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3338/imag0014hi6.jpg
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Oh wow, another G-IV player! Table was getting a bit lonely, too! Nice score

:P

By the way, that looks like a Taurus sign. I don't think its the default one though (I think the game defaults to Aries?)
jpj

Post by jpj »

ah cheers, i have no clue about zodiac signs :oops:
ktg

Post by ktg »

ktg / KTG / 182,000 / M / Virgo / 1-4 / G2A / FF / 4 / PS2
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Got it, nice one! I mean, being past the bubble stage and all...
ktg

Post by ktg »

ktg / KTG / 196,600 / M / Virgo / 1-4 / G2C / FF / 4 / PS2

Not much, but it moves me up a rank. :)

First time I beat the stage 3 boss at full rank and the first time I made it past the volcanoes. Had a stupid death in the lava section and couldn't recover. :(
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Yes, it does move you up a rank, above mines :oops: Haha, great though! I love the magma section... don't you? I think its my favourite part of the game, that I've seen anyway... so crazy!

I wonder what you will think of stage 5...
ktg

Post by ktg »

The lava part is definately cool. Haven't been to the 5th stage yet. Only seen it in Alamone's videos.
Kagami HiME

Post by Kagami HiME »

Kagami / KHI / 143 100 / F / Gemini / 1-3 / G2A / FF / 4 / PSP

I might be able to get through the bubble stage easier if I got the PS2 version... The PSP screen is too small, and the D-pad sucks. >.<
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Good work :D Yes, probably it would be much easier on a PS2, I can't imagine playing this on a PSP! I tried Salamander Portable on the PSP and I couldn't even USE the diagonal directions on the control cross (and the analogue 'nub' was even worse!)
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Good thing the slim PSP remedy ALL problems with the diagonals.
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Wow I'm surprised to see this up here, and to see it so dead. I have the AC version and haven't really touched it, I'll have some scores up tonight I guess. I suck so bad atm tho ):
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Yea, Gradius IV isn't exactly the wunderkind (wuenderkind?) of the Gradius universe. Just as well, it isn't great... But, we welcome new scores! More players make Tviks look all the more impressive :P

Yes, Sony insisted arrogance (or perhaps ignorance?) on the problems of their so-called Game Boy killer is pretty annoying :x There are actually some nice games on the PSP, but I'm still not inclined to pick one up until they fix the controls (and battery life, for that matter!)
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Kenchan / KEN / 165 400 / M / Pisces / 1-5 / G2A / FF / 4 / Arcade

Man, I'm miserable at this game. It took me something like 30 tries to get to Stage 4, then another 10 to get to Stage 5, I don't think I'll ever be able to fully enjoy the game this way. I think I'll probably get rid of the PCB an stick to the PS2 port :cry:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Carmen wrote:There are actually some nice games on the PSP, but I'm still not inclined to pick one up until they fix the controls (and battery life, for that matter!)
I thought they did that already with the slim PSP.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

:? I've read battery life is the same and the buttons look the same to me...

Don't sweat it Kenchan. G IV is pretty tough. You have a PCB of the game? Why is that harder to play with it... maybe there is no Continue or Stage Select? Anyway don't give up or sell yourself short! :)
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Continue is there, but no stage select. I'm just noticing that there really isn't anything that I'd want an arcade version for.

A couple more runs today, but I ended up going and playing the RSG cab and wasting a good 4 hours x_x
Kagami HiME

Post by Kagami HiME »

Kagami / KHI / 161 600 / F / Gemini / 1-3 / G2A / FF / 4 / PSP

I HATE Gradius IV bubbles! :evil:

On another note, the 3rd stage boss doesn't seem that hard with only missles. I might beat him next time, if I ever make it that far again...
landshark

Post by landshark »

Kagami HiME wrote: I HATE Gradius IV bubbles! :evil:
Preach on brother.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

^^ Ditto. :lol:

Great to see this thread expanding!
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

I don't know, I only ever beat Stage 3 boss with full power
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

I created some screenshot maps of some levels and posted them in the strategies section if anyone is interested.

My record is ~516.000 on Medium, PS2 version although I don't have any movie right now.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hey,

Those maps are very cool! I imagine the Moai map will help a lot of players. Once you have your exact score, feel free to post it here. You don't have to submit a movie though, we trust you!
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

I don't have a score yet but I've started playing this game again after a long break and I'm coming real close to a 1cc. I can one 1 life it up until I get to the stage six boss but I always die there and use all my lives. After I use about 10 continues to beat him I can go through the rest of only losing 1 or two lives in the last level. I've watched alamone's vid on youtube millions of times trying to figure out a good strat for that boss but nothing works. Is anyone able to beat him with any consistency?

P.S:

I've been around these boards for about 6 years but I've too been lazy to make an account.

I don't want to come off as some random person ( Even though I probably do) :D
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Someof my personal playing experiences, although most advanced players surely know them:

- Use the vertical mine weapons combo (Number 4). It can shoot into all directions and is comparatively strong on close range.

Bubbles Level:

- Try to stay at the upper path. You will usually get more red bubbles and be able to remove the nastier enemies.

- If you have double shot, exchange it for armor piercing. Usually ap sucks, but double will hit some bubbles you shouldn't shoot.

- Don't shoot the bigger bubbles unless absolutely necessary for passing. On the other hand, clean as many of the smaller bubbles as possible.

- Move your options as far to the right to the screen as possible. Stick them into the approaching bubble horde.

For the boss:
Try to stay at medium range ( 1/4 screen away ) so you don't shoot the bubbles but can still avoid the lasers. If you die, try to get at least one option, then you can shoot him without standing right in front of him.

Moai Stage:

- Try to stall and have the screen move to the right. Don't move up and down too much, as it will bring more heads on the screen. Avoid shots at the last moment and don't move too much.

- Use "neck camping". If you find a save spot behind one Moais neck, stay there until he turns around, he won't shoot until fully turning around. Then blast him if possible or move on.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Did the 1cc today! (died at loop2 stage 2 boss)

Final Score: 527.800

Screenshot at request.