New Vulgus thread

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Dale

New Vulgus thread

Post by Dale »

I was recently informed by Alpha that he no longer goes on this forum and can,t keep up the Vulgus score thread so i,ve taken over the reigns. and started a new thread.

Normal play list
1-Dale-780,200-3
2-Rob-334,350-2
3-Javel-299,850-2
4-Ghegs-269,650-2
5-Zach keen-222,300-2
6-landshark-213.000-2
7-Gameoverdude-204.000-3
8-Raiden-203,450-2
9-Aventus-186.100
10-Crithit5000-159,450
11-Capt Takehiko-156,740-2
12-Forte MP3-152,150-1
13-Ed Oscuro-102,750-1
14-roadrunner-58,250-1

Vulgus trick list
1.Dale-2,901,200

No shooting list
1.Dale.31,900-1
Last edited by Dale on Thu May 30, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 19 times in total.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-1,368,550-1stloop-Capcom,s classics Collection

I know this score is unbeileavable but I have proof in form of pics. The thing is I have internet explorer and there is no capture picture but I can email proof to a moderater or anyone else who needs it if neccesary.Should I do this?

I got the score doing a special trick witch I,m not at liberty to share right now(But it is legal I assure you)
ave

Post by ave »

My new highscore was 186.100 =)

WTF what do you mean with "doing a special trick"??
THE ETERNAL
Dale

Post by Dale »

It,s a secret I,ll share after I proove my score it,s something very simple and you do it before loop 2 and it,s not a glithch or cheat. I really don,t want to give away my secret just yet I.Special trick was the only way I could think to describe it.(I,m not that good with words. :(
landshark

Post by landshark »

My guess is in the space area he destroys the big rock with the little rocks orbiting around it and gets 50,000 points and a free man. Then suicides and restarts a little earlier, kills the rock for 50,000 and a free man. Then suicides.

Lather rinse repeat.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yeah thats what I did.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale - 2,379,100 - first loop - Capcom's Classics Collection
raiden

Post by raiden »

sorry, but knowing about that trick makes me lose all motivation to play it for score anymore. That´s one broken score system.
Dale

Post by Dale »

raiden wrote:sorry, but knowing about that trick makes me lose all motivation to play it for score anymore. That´s one broken score system.
I,m sorry about wrecking the game for u I,m going to start seperate list for those using the trick and those that are not I,m probaly gonna start a no shoot list as well I got 31900 without firing a shot :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-2,901,200-Capcom,s Classics Collection-loop2
And if anyone's wondering I am the world record holder for this game. :twisted:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Dale wrote:And if anyone's wondering I am the world record holder for this game. :twisted:
"Officialy" games where the scoring system is broken in this way (allowing for infinite score) are considered invalid for score competitions. Getting a good score in Vulgus doesn't take much skill, only a whole lotta time.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Dale

Post by Dale »

It actaul is pretty hard to repetedly kill the Vulgus rock it's not that easy but oh well ,someone already got the max score without using it so I can,t really beat him. :cry: But with my best score not using the trick I've taken secound place in the world. :) BTW Ghegs you can still post your scores I have three lists up now it would be great to have some competition. :wink:
Dale

Post by Dale »

Normal Game-426,100-2nd loop-Capcom Classics Collection

I came so close to making it to the 3rd loop, I was about to fight the Vulgus for the secound time,but I died right before. :(
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Ghegs wrote:Getting a good score in Vulgus doesn't take much skill, only a whole lotta time
like all shmups/games, then? time = improved skill, after all

i think to loop Vulgus is quite a good feat, well done Dale :wink:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

DC906270 wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Getting a good score in Vulgus doesn't take much skill, only a whole lotta time
No. Read the earlier posts. The game has a section where you can kill a big enemy (and some smaller ones), which gives enough points for an extra life, suicide, and be respawned before the big enemy so you can repeat the process all over again for as long as you want. This is a broken scoring system. With default settings, the game is unfit for competitive play. The only solutions would be to A) increase the amount of points needed for extends so the "extend-suicide"-loop doesn't work or B) play without extends at all.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Dale

Post by Dale »

DC906270 wrote:

i think to loop Vulgus is quite a good feat, well done Dale :wink:
Thanks it took along time to get this good been playing it consistantly for over a year,it's kinda strange me being someone who was born six years after it was made. :lol:
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Ghegs wrote:
DC906270 wrote:
No. Read the earlier posts. The game has a section where you can kill a big enemy (and some smaller ones), which gives enough points for an extra life, suicide, and be respawned before the big enemy so you can repeat the process all over again for as long as you want. This is a broken scoring system. With default settings, the game is unfit for competitive play. The only solutions would be to A) increase the amount of points needed for extends so the "extend-suicide"-loop doesn't work or B) play without extends at all.
I need to try this. Ghegs, have you tried it? Can anyone else confirm that this works??
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

doctorx0079 wrote:I need to try this. Ghegs, have you tried it? Can anyone else confirm that this works??
The earlier posts I was referring to:
Dale wrote:It,s a secret I,ll share after I proove my score it,s something very simple and you do it before loop 2 and it,s not a glithch or cheat. I really don,t want to give away my secret just yet I.Special trick was the only way I could think to describe it.(I,m not that good with words.
Landshark wrote:My guess is in the space area he destroys the big rock with the little rocks orbiting around it and gets 50,000 points and a free man. Then suicides and restarts a little earlier, kills the rock for 50,000 and a free man. Then suicides.

Lather rinse repeat.
Dale wrote:Yeah thats what I did.

My videos
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Ghegs wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:I need to try this. Ghegs, have you tried it? Can anyone else confirm that this works??
The earlier posts I was referring to:
Dale wrote:It,s a secret I,ll share after I proove my score it,s something very simple and you do it before loop 2 and it,s not a glithch or cheat. I really don,t want to give away my secret just yet I.Special trick was the only way I could think to describe it.(I,m not that good with words.
Landshark wrote:My guess is in the space area he destroys the big rock with the little rocks orbiting around it and gets 50,000 points and a free man. Then suicides and restarts a little earlier, kills the rock for 50,000 and a free man. Then suicides.

Lather rinse repeat.
Dale wrote:Yeah thats what I did.
yeah, but did anybody besides dale actually try it?
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have a list dedecated to it even though it wouldn't count in a official competition so anyone can give it a try and I'll document it, it is kinda fun pushing the score way higher then it's supposed
to go(The max score for the game normally is somewhere between 700,000 and 800,000).

Oh and the game has three loops then stops if anyone's wondering, came so close to the the third loop I could taste it but alas I died just before the secound fight with the Vulgus.

Also playing without shooting is really fun you just collect the item's as fast as you can, give it a try.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-Vulgus-426,450-THIIIRRRRRRRRD LOOOOOOOOOP

I finally did it, I was getting so intense fighting the Vulgus for the second time that I actually started panting and shaking. Wow I'm floating right now, I'm so happy. Did it on christmas eve to. :P

I just got through about half the first area in the 3rd loop, some very interesting enemy patterns show up. For example the Yoshinji show up in groups of 4 with another group of the first enemy you fight in the game as well as one of those set enemy formations you see through out the game except they seperate allot more than usual.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-498,850-Normal Game-3rd Loop-Capcom's Classics Collection.

I can't believe I made it to the third loop again. I even made it half way through the second area. What's weird is that the two Vulgus bosses I fought only gave off 10,000 in this last run, even though I killed them with my standard shot. I cleaned house with stars and the special enemy formations so it made up for it. I still feel cheated though.
javel

Post by javel »

Javel-299,850-2nd loop
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sorry for not posting your score sooner Javel, good to see someone playing this.
Dale

Re: New Vulgus thread

Post by Dale »

Dale-526,900-3-Mame

Some funny stuff I noticed in the third loop were that all of those structured enemy clusters you see throughout the game suddenly start leaving and entering the screen faster. They also now favor the top left and top right sides of the screen. Normal popcorns now shoot two insanly fast bullets in a V pattern somewhat similar to Exed Eyes. They also shoot again much faster. The enemies that stop behind you and then rush forward now come in meaner clusters it would seem.

It's also worth noteing that the 2nd Vulgus only paid out 10,000 for some reason, my score could've been about 40,000 higher.

I made to the middle of the 2nd area of the third loop. It was one of the most intense rounds of Vulgus I ever played. I couldn't even beleave what had happend when it was over.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob - 271,250 - 2

Crazy game, never played it before.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob - 334,350 - 2

Always seem to lose 2 lives in a row. :/
Dale

Post by Dale »

Roadrunner it's good to see some one new playing the game. Rob I vagualy remember you hating on this game in another thread a long time ago, I could be wrong though I guess. Congradulations on your score.

You generally lose lives in clusters in this game, which is mainly because of the inteligently made checkpoint system(Only Checkpoint system in any arcade game that I think was well thought out actually).

Scoreboard updated
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dale wrote:Rob I vagualy remember you hating on this game in another thread a long time ago,
Haha, I guess I did. Must have been Capcom Classics Collection.

The only thing I don't like about this are the cluster deaths. I really don't get it. Other than the jarring pause, I don't understand how the checkpoints contribute. It feels like it shouldn't happen (no speed-up or main gun power-up), but it always does. There's some devious second death programming in there.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ed Oscuro - 102,750 - first loop

I tried this out last week, got about 20K less. I could do better than this, I'm sure.

The one thing I like about the game is having to aim shots at clusters of enemies; it feels pretty badass when you see 2000 and 3000 points when you hit a cluster right. Actually delivering those scoring opportunities, instead of throwing bunches of homing enemies, is something the game doesn't seem to do often enough. It's a waiting game.
Dale wrote:You generally lose lives in clusters in this game, which is mainly because of the inteligently made checkpoint system
Now I've gotta look up the arcade flyer to see how they sold this feature back in the day. The tagline was probably something like "Vulgus, the only game that intelligently fucks over players without them realizing it!"