Pilot Kids (Psikyo, Model2 1998)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
EmperorIng

Pilot Kids (Psikyo, Model2 1998)

Post by EmperorIng »

Psikyo Meets Toy Story!
This game is playable on the Model 2 emulator, M2emulator. Save-states are functional only on M2emulator 1.0. You need to make a folder called STATES. CTRL+1 (thru 9) selects a state, F10 loads, and F11 saves. Autofire needs to be handled externally via a program like Joy2Key.

There are 4 characters to play as, each with different abilities. You can only select your character via choosing 1P (Jef) or 2P (Emma). You need to unlock the two secret variants using the video above, and placing the file in your m2emu nvdata folder. 1P's alt character is Old Man and 2P's alternate is Penguin.

The second loop is only accessible via 1ALL. A fully-locked on single target acts as a bomb, and cancels blue bullets.

R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & CHARACTER & STAGE & PLATFORM & AUTOFIRE Y/N & ADDITIONAL IMAGE/VIDEO R=1 & EmperorIng & 3,367,900 & Emma & 2-1 & m2emu 1.0 & YES & [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auKkrZy6aDA]video[/url] R=2 & BOS & 1,344,500 & Jef & 2-1 & & & [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXf6S7-qNM]video[/url] R=3 & Dumple & 997,000 & Jef & 2-1 & m2emu & & [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdSUCuHT6c]Video[/url] R=4 & P_HAT & 637,000 & Jef & 1-5 & & &

Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

Name & Score & Character & Stage & Platform - Denote emulator where applicable & Autofire (Yes or No) & [url=]link[/url]
[/size]

Example:

Code: Select all

EmperorIng & 10,000,000 & Penguin & 1-4 & M2emu 1.4 & No & [url=]link[/url]
Link is for video or snapshot taken of your final score. It is optional but encouraged.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
EmperorIng

Re: Pilot Kids (Psikyo, Model2 1998)

Post by EmperorIng »

For whatever reason, I have really been digging this game, and well, digging into this game. It might be Psikyo's least-played shmup ever. I bet Sol Divide has more players than this one.

Probably because Model2 emulation was bad for a long time and if a shmup doesn't run on mame no one plays it. But when I finally did, and started to get my mind around the mechanics, I found it to be pretty neat! Unlike most psikyo games, Pilot Kids has an actual scoring system! Whoa, you mean not just collecting coins!? Despite the easy nature of the game at first glance, getting high scores using your sub-shot makes things pretty tense and the rank increase gets as brutal as any psikyo game. For survival 1ALL it's a quickie (how unexciting to stop there!) but there's still plenty to recommend, especially since a 2all is elusive among the western community.

The second loop is interesting in that there are no stages, and it is entirely just a boss rush of all the first-loop bosses, no super-charged with deadlier attacks, faster bullets, and far more 'invincible' bullets. The 2-7 final boss is simply a nightmare, it has to be seen to be believed. Will you, reading this, be able to 2ALL this hidden gem?

This 1ALL is nothing "too" too special, I have hopes to get more consistent and get further into the second loop and see if I can't take a stab at the 2ALL. But it's good to finally get there! I prefer Emma's web sub shot to Jef's missiles. The more enemies in her web, the higher her multiplier, so it reminds me of Soukyugurentai! :mrgreen: Each char's multiplier is different, so the score potential is different. I won't bother to separate the leaderboards though, there just isn't enough interest.

EmperorIng & 3,367,900 & Emma & 2-1 & m2emu 1.0 & YES & video

Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Jaimers & 6,980,400 & Emma & 2-ALL & m2emu 1.0 & YES & video

Link should probably be updated in the High Score Board Index to point to this thread.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A loooooot of links need to be updated in the Score Index... it's been four years :(

Still, it's a masterful achievement! So great that this game got semi-discovered in the past year.