Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Vulcan Venture)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Vulcan Venture)

Post by Despatche »

Previous threads: 1 2

There are various differences between all the versions of the arcade game at least. Just stick with the "new versions" please. And maybe don't play Vulcan Venture at all please.

Deluxe Pack/Portable are different and are getting split. If playing the PSP version, set "Hit Size" and difficulty to Normal.

X68000 version may or may not be arcade accurate? Pretty sure it's based on new version at any rate.
----------
Please post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

GAME - VERSION - TYPE
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - SHIELD - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
GAME is for whether you played arcade, X68000, and so on. VERSION is for those platforms that have actual different versions, such as arcade Gradius II which has at least six known versions. DETAILS is for which emulator build/program version or which release/console you may have used.

=Type 1=
 1. Vludi            - 1,171,800 -  3-3 - FF - ??? - MAME
 2. SPM              -   431,800 -  2-1 - FF - Yes - MAME

=Type 2=
 1. Squire Grooktook -   459,600 -  2-2 - ?  - ??? - MAME

=Type 3=
 1. Prickly Angler   -   449 000 -  2-1 - FF - Yes - PS4
 2. RFP              -   370,300 -  1-7 - FF - ??? - MAME

=Type 4=
 1. Redsun           - 1,113,100 -  2-7 - ?  - ??? - MAME (Unconfirmed)
 2. MSZ              -   982,400 -  2-5 - FF - ??? - MAME
 3. clp              -   838,700 -  2-5 - FF - ??? - MAME
 4. CloudyMusic      -   669,300 -  2-2 - FF - ??? - MAME
 5. chum             -   588,100 -  2-3 - FF - ??? - MAME
 6. AmidstStorm      -   447,700 -  1-8 - FF - ??? - MAME
 7. SPM              -   445,500 -  2-1 - FF - Yes - MAME
 8. Square_Air       -   441,800 -  2-1 - FF - ??? - ShmupMAME v4.2
 9. OmKol            -   439,800 -  2-2 - FF - ??? - MAME
10. Shepardus        -   432,200 -  1-8 - FF - ??? - MAME Plus! v0.160
11. Dumple           -   417,800 -  2-1 - FF - ??? - MAME v0.203
12. Aquas            -   390,900 -  2-1 - FF - ??? - MAME
X68000 version

=Type 1=

=Type 2=
 1. Blue Lander      -   261,500 -  1-7 - S 

=Type 3=

=Type 4=
 1. copy-paster      -   410,300 -  1-8 - FF

Gradius Deluxe Pack (and Portable)

=Type 1=
 1. Smile            - 1,438,600 -  2-7 - FF - ??? - PSP

=Type 2=

=Type 3=
 1. Prickly Angler   -   467 500 -  2-1 - FF - Yes - SS
 2. Zach Keene       -   233,800 -  1-5 - FF - ??? - SS

=Type 4=
 1. saucykobold      - 1,776,000 -  3-4 - FF - ??? - PS
 2. Galaxius         - 1,047,400 -  2-5 - FF - ??? - PS
 3. mulletgeezer     -   692,100 -  2-4 - S  - ??? - SS
 4. PlasmaBlooD      -   621,600 -  2-3 - FF - ??? - PS
 5. CIT              -   576,300 -  2-2 - FF - ??? - SS
 6. copy-paster      -   576,000 -  2-3 - FF - ??? - PS
 7. MJR              -   549,500 -  2-2 - FF - ??? - PS
 8. elbarto          -   410,600 -  1-8 - FF - ??? - SS
 9. Bloodreign       -   365,400 -  1-8 - FF - ??? - SS
Family Computer version

=Type 1=
 1. Kidpanda         - 7,042,880 -  9-? (Unconfirmed)

=Type 2=
 1. PlasmaBlooD      - 9,999,990 - 11-?   
 2. tinotormed       - 1,179,910 -  2-?   
 3. copy-paster      -   748,110 -  2-6

=Type 3=

=Type 4=
 1. Despatche        -   655,170 -  1-7 - ??? - FCE Ultra
Last edited by Despatche on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Despatche

Re: Gradius II (Vulcan Venture)

Post by Despatche »

Hm. For some reason I thought there were more tables already up. I've never liked doing the =<whatever>= in code blocks like this, I know it looks bad. I will probably fix it later. There's no physical table for Vulcan Venture yet because nobody posted anything. Please don't play other versions though, unless lots of people are gonna do it. There's like six versions of this wretched game.

There doesn't seem to be a way to tell what Redsun and kidpanda used, so for now I put Redsun in the AC Type 4 table and kidpanda in the FC Type 1 table. Redsun is long gone, but I'm hoping kidpanda remembers what they used and can say something.

Again, I'd like to know what's going on with Deluxe Pack and Portable. Note that MSX Gradius 2 is not AC Gradius II and would never have a table here, but again I'd like to put the PC Engine table here eventually.
Steven

Re: Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Vulcan Venture)

Post by Steven »

Probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway; what version(s) of the game are Arcade Archives and Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection using? I have the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, so it would be pretty convenient to use that version when I start playing this game, but I'm not sure if that version's okay or not. Same question for Gradius 1, actually.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ACA should be using actual Gradius 1 and Gradius 2 new version by default, and I know at least some other versions are available. I'm not sure about the Konami collection, but judging from the website, I'm guessing it defaults to what happens to be the parent sets in MAME, Gradius version D (one of the Nemesis versions) and Vulcan Venture new version. I'm pretty sure you can play actual Gradius 1 and 2 with a toggle somewhere though. Unfortunately I don't have either so I'm going by official websites and such.

Oh yeah, Gradius 1 also has the Bubble System version. I'm just going to pretend that's the same as the ROM version. Please be the same as the ROM version...
Steven

Post by Steven »

The Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection has a little thing in it that says "powered by Arcade Archives", so I imagine they are probably the same. The collection doesn't seem to have as many options/toggles as the ACA games that I have, though it does have both the international (not sure what region, though...) and Japanese versions available, although the Japanese and international versions are listed in separate menus that you can toggle between.

I have the US Switch version of the collection, and it does not have the Japanese versions of Scramble or Twinbee for some reason. I imagine the Japanese version of the collection is the opposite. I may buy the Japanese version on PS4 or Steam so I can use my arcade stick, though with many of these likely coming to MiSTer (Nemesis is already available and I did play it the other day. No Gradius, though), I may just do that instead, especially since I will have control over what version I play.

I am honestly not very familiar with these games at all and I do want to start playing them, with ACA/Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection being a seemingly great place to start, so if I do post scores before we figure it out (not likely; too busy Toaplanning at this time lol), I'll specify if I used the ACA version or the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection version or whatever.
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

Thanks for reopenning the ranking !

What I've noticed about Deluxe Pack and AC differences gameplay-wise :

- More slowdown on AC, this is something you can see easily on stages 1, 2, and 3.

- Gaw has a different, and easier final pattern on Deluxe Pack (you're no longer forced to micro-dodge).

- Some turrets don't shoot at all on Deluxe Pack, it's pretty noticeable on stages 2, 4, and 8.

- The invisble walls take less space on Deluxe Pack, meaning you have more space to do certain things (like catching p-ups at the last moment).

- When the force field takes a hit the sound is much louder on Deluxe Pack, making it easier to notice it.

- On AC Coverted Core fires some missiles that cannot hit you at the far left of the screen but that can trick you into moving forward if you hug the left side of the screen, this doesn't happen on Deluxe Pack.
Probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway; what version(s) of the game are Arcade Archives and Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection using?
On Arcade Archives all versions of the game released in arcades are available, but to get some earlier ones you need to go to preferential settings. On Konami Arcade Classics you just get the v.3 of japanese Gradius II (the only one which has 20k/every 150k extends settings), and the v.2 of Vuclan Venture (fixes the moai checkpoint but keeps the 20k/70k settings). Konami Arcade Classics has just the japanese Gradius and US Nemesis, the world version isn't there.
The Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection has a little thing in it that says "powered by Arcade Archives", so I imagine they are probably the same. The collection doesn't seem to have as many options/toggles as the ACA games that I have, though it does have both the international (not sure what region, though...) and Japanese versions available, although the Japanese and international versions are listed in separate menus that you can toggle between.
The collection is done by Hamster Corp but there's some differences between the roms you'll find on ACA ports : games plays the same but you have much less available options, different visuals, sound, and a true savestate/loadsave feature.

If you seek to compare the visuals and sound :

- Konami Arcade classics : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidwPr2bgQc

- Arcade Archives : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exd4FF8PPAc

The visuals and sound differences are pretty obvious to me but maybe I've played this game too much :lol:
I have the US Switch version of the collection, and it does not have the Japanese versions of Scramble or Twinbee for some reason
Don't know about Twinbee but for Scramble I don't think there's any difference inbetween regions (at least I couldn't find any documented ones).
I am honestly not very familiar with these games at all and I do want to start playing them, with ACA/Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection being a seemingly great place to start, so if I do post scores before we figure it out (not likely; too busy Toaplanning at this time lol), I'll specify if I used the ACA version or the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection version or whatever.
Both are a good place to start, they are the same gameplay-wise, just that ACA has more versions available.
Oh yeah, Gradius 1 also has the Bubble System version. I'm just going to pretend that's the same as the ROM version. Please be the same as the ROM version...
They are the same, just that the PCB version has faster loadtimes between, stages and after dying.

Anyway here are my scores :

Prickly Angler - Gradius II AC - PS4 - Type 3 - 449 000 - 2-1 - FF : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3s_K7_8Rg

Prickly Angler - Gradius II Deluxe pack - SS - Type 3 - 467 500 - 2-1 - FF : http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=60 (picture proof in "spoiler")

I have a higher score for Deluxe pack but it's not a clear so... :P
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's really weird about that recent Konami collection. I'm not sure what to do about Vulcan Venture in that case. I really don't want to have to open six boards for all six versions, because if I open even one more beyond the regular two, all of them would be justified. This is a lot worse with Gradius II because we have ship types. I'm kinda hoping nobody plays Vulcan Venture at all, honestly. No more tables! No more tables...
SPM

Post by SPM »

Got the clear with two ships: Gradius II - Type 1 / Type 4 (1CC). The OG type was more fun ^^

Arcade - Type 1
SPM - 431,800 - 2-1 - FF - yes - MAME

Arcade - Type 4
SPM - 445,500 - 2-1 - FF - yes - MAME

The milking spots and infinite loops make scoring kinda pointless, but going for some extra destruction is always enjoyable. There are replays out there getting 150k+ points in stage 1 (so many dragons!). I may come back at some point and try a 2-ALL. 2-1 and 2-4 in particular look great.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah