Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:21 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:57 am 

Original is kicking my ass! but I'm making progress :D

I need some serious practice in stage 6 if I want to make it any further though... I think I prefer that stage in casual, here it's getting out of control haha and bombs start to be required in some parts (at least for my skill) and that's something I don't love :mrgreen:

ORIGINAL
SPM - 797,123,940 - 6 - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/FBL7jvf

Also, the other links:
NOVICE: https://ibb.co/bQjKCw9
CASUAL: https://ibb.co/JnG4567
EXPERT: https://ibb.co/B6Xm3Vm
(hope these work with the table function)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:31 am 

Thank you, they do! Congratulations on working up the ranks on Original; it is such a brutal game.

The worst is that using your bombs makes it extremely hard (if not impossible?!) to reach the final boss with a high enough rank requirement. You have to really learn how to kill everything without needing to rely on your bombs for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:02 am 

Got my Original clear! :D (not TLB)

I was having my best run so far and made it to the 5th boss with 4 lives and 2 bombs. But midway through the fight I had to answer a call and put off the run (thanks Switch sleep mode though!!!). The problem was losing the momentum. When I got back I went downhill, really fast :lol: Autobombed and lost a life in that boss and just barely survived stage 6 with just one bomb left after the clear. But it was a clear nonetheless :mrgreen:

ORIGINAL
SPM - 824,016,270 - ALL - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/PFzkN7V

Afterwards I gave Expert a chance and improved a bit, but that may be too much for me. I think I'll stay on Original :roll:

EXPERT
SPM - 308,261,960 - 4 MBOSS - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/prc1sHX

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am 

I managed to record the replay with a cheap 10€ capture card: https://youtu.be/iP5Yuinl33E

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I got around to uploading the Expert All clear onto Youtube, updated the link on the original post with the YT link instead of the Twitch link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVS-PhR-BA

How do you manage to record the shots "flickering"? In my case it seems like the capture card (or OBS software) is recording less frames, resulting in reduced flickering and even not flickering at all... is it just because I'm a cheap bastard that refused to spend more money on a capture card? :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:14 pm 

Great job on the Original clear!

I'm playing on the PC version and using OBS to record. My OBS settings are 1280 x 720 resolution, 60 FPS, veryfast presets, 15000-20000 Kbps bitrate. You may need to tweak your settings to see what will improve your recordings, I know that playing around with settings and tweaking them is fairly time consuming but once you've got those nailed down you're set for future recordings!

I don't know how well capture cards compare in terms of budget vs high end. May well be a case of getting what you pay for? Dunno, I've never used one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:34 pm 

Great job SPM! I've updated the boards and added your video link. Getting a clear of Original is no small achievement. Especially when you get out of your groove like you did; that's happened to me many times before. GG on being able to bounce back! I'll be watching your replay to get some more 'down to earth' hints and strategies, a bit closer to my skill level vs. the TRUE ALL replays 8)

Also, I finally watched one of the links to the Over Power scores. There's actually a TLB requirement? The fuck? I have triggered it without even trying to do so each and every time! What could it possibly be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:46 pm 

As far as I know it's rank-based, just like the original game. It may even be the same requirement as the standard game (15 or above to trigger), except that it's obviously much easier to maintain high rank in Overpower due to the bullet cancelling. Overpower also has tweaked how many medals it takes to hit next rank; unlike the standard game where it increases linearly, Overpower makes it so low rank requires fewer medals to hit the next rank, with the requirement increasing as you go higher (see: the small green numbers beside the rank value).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:50 pm 

Yeah I thought it might be rank based, though I have had a run or so where I died on the final stage, or final boss (which resets rank to 1) and still managed to trigger the TLB... though truth be told unless I look through my video footage I can't say what rank I got it up to by the time the TLB triggered. I just assumed that it was always there!

The highest rank I've gotten is somewhere around 20 I think. I am not sure what the max is for Over Power.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:40 pm 

Overpower is different from the standard game in how high rank can go.

In the standard game, both Original and Expert can go up to rank 50, with rank increasing at a linear rate. Rank 50 on Expert is much harder than Rank 50 on Original but I suspect that's because Expert naturally has far denser, tougher patterns, and each Rank level may still correspond to the same % speed increase between difficulties?

In Overpower, as previously mentioned, rank increases are slower the higher you go. It takes more medals to get from one rank to the next at high rank. Also, Original has a hard rank cap of 20; it's impossible to get Rank above 20 on Original difficulty. Expert allows Rank to go all the way to 50 (I think it's 9x score multiplier at Rank 50?), thus far higher scores are possible on Expert.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I'm playing on the PC version and using OBS to record. My OBS settings are 1280 x 720 resolution, 60 FPS, veryfast presets, 15000-20000 Kbps bitrate. You may need to tweak your settings to see what will improve your recordings, I know that playing around with settings and tweaking them is fairly time consuming but once you've got those nailed down you're set for future recordings!

I don't know how well capture cards compare in terms of budget vs high end. May well be a case of getting what you pay for? Dunno, I've never used one.

It seems to be that. I tried recording my screen when playing your Expert video and captured the flickering. So it has to be the capture card.

EmperorIng wrote:
I'll be watching your replay to get some more 'down to earth' hints and strategies, a bit closer to my skill level vs. the TRUE ALL replays 8)

Couldn't get closer to earth :lol:

There was a lot of deviation from my strategies in training mode though. I hope one day I can pull them off in "the run" and update the video :D (I may want to improve some "strategies" first though :roll: :lol: )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:06 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
One trick for stretching your resources during bosses is rapid recharging, which you can use any time you have a bomb and you're sitting on a Power-Up that's ready to activate. With a Power-Up ready to go, use it to cancel bullets when you're about to be hit, and then the next time you're about to be hit (or if the timer is about to run out), quickly mash the bomb button so you rapidly activate Overmode -> Bomb. What happens is you cancel bullets into big medals with the Overmode activation but then immediately cancel the Overmode and go back to normal state with the bomb, and all those medals you collect instantly get you another Power-Up ready to go, which can again be used for score or simply to cancel bullets. It's a very helpful technique on the true last boss, who normally is troublesome to recover your Power-Up meter against due to having a bomb shield.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Everyone playing this for score needs to watch this ASAP because this player is of a godlike caliber. They're pushing for 7 billion on original and are getting the first score extend in Stage 1, second before the Stage 2 boss thanks to advanced milking techniques: https://www.twitch.tv/thatsserious / https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784349210

Their 5.95 billion video is gold and hadn't seen their TLB fight until now! Thanks for sharing :D

I was wondering what the best way to keep your fast-recharging loop was when you run out of bombs. I was thinking of dying with your full meter at 1000, but it's better to use it and suicide when you would use a bomb. You can see that in action in their TLB fight.

I have a small clip of that tech recorded on youtube for future reference (since I think Twitch eventually deletes old videos, like the one quoted): https://youtu.be/6yvz46HLZJE

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:13 am 

New PB on Original. Made it past 1 billion points :D

I wasn't gonna submit it yet since I want to keep pushing it, but I'm starting a new project that will keep me away from games for a month+, so I've decided to upload my last score.

My next goal would be coming up with a strategy for the second half of stage 6 and improving consistency overall - hyper-based strategies are hard for me to pull off (or better put, are easy to deviate from).

ORIGINAL
SPM - 1,174,023,750 - ALL - RX - Switch - https://youtu.be/M6Jq-eqvOZQ

BTW, it feels like some strategies don't work or are waaay harder to pull off when the rank goes up. You guys that have a TRUE ALL are beasts

Offline Profile