Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
SPM

Re: Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

Post by SPM »

Thanks! :mrgreen: I can't let my top score be that one though! (barely did anything to the 6th boss) :lol: :oops:
EmperorIng wrote:I gotta try some of these strategies out... at the same time with just my normal mediocre play I can barely survive stage 3...
Go for it! 8) Such a big 1CC List deserves an Original clear on this one as well :wink:

(Just checked both lists from you and Roo and man, you two got quite a collection. I've only got a handful of 1CCs yet, and this game won't let me go and grab some more haha)
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:next goal
I'm not sure. I'll keep playing as long as I have fun I guess, improving tough spots and scoring. Almost burnt out before, but then I tried the milking techs and now with a high rank some parts are so different that I just want to come up with a plan to overcome them (the 4th boss for instance, I can't do it consistently without bombs anymore). My next goal would be reaching the TLB in a good run (and then either keep trying until I get a "good" true all or go for a "low score" true all. But yes, a true all is on my mind).

--------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
SPM wrote:My next goal would be reaching the TLB in a good run
Dammit!

"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Special World

Post by Special World »

Rolling Gunner casual mode, Residence Assistance type:

197,063,270 TRUE ALL

Gonna keep working at it a little more. This game has such solid fundamentals. Love that you can see where EVERYTHING is going to come onscreen.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, that's a nice feature to at least prepare you and get your rolling pod ready.

Congratulations on the clear on Casual mode, and such a good score, too! I know you've been perfecting your '1cc formula' based on the other topic, so I am glad you came through here.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Nice one Special World! Give it some more love and get to 200M, you know you want that juicy number 2 in the score when it's so close! :mrgreen:

For me, that's it for now! Didn't quite reach 2.5B and I kind of burnt out milking score.
Got to the TLB a couple times without milking that much but couldn't beat that bastard with a high rank... And, to be honest, I just don't enjoy the TLB that much in Original so... gonna take a break for the moment!

ORIGINAL
SPM - 2,489,002,720 - 6 BOSS - RX - Switch - Video

Btw, milking in expert mode gives you around 1 billion within the first 2 stages! Not gonna submit that score though :lol: :oops:
Last edited by SPM on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Great score, congrats! How many resources are you making it to the TLB with? I found that was the main obstacle to be able to tackle the TLB. In practice mode I worked out that I was fairly consistent at the TLB as long as I had 3 lives, 0 bombs left (2L 3B minimum to "safely" do the TLB). Even at Rank 35, rank will drop quickly from dying and bombing, as long as you make sure you use absolutely every single bomb for rapid recharging.
SPM

Post by SPM »

My best (and last) chance was reaching the 6th boss with 5 lives/0 bombs (rank around 45) and the TLB with 3 lives/0 bombs, but didn't make it all the way through. Knowing your strategy could've been useful there hehe.
But, tbh, having to abuse rapid recharging wasn't the most enjoyable way to end that run... A high enough rank makes some of those patterns undodgeable for me without luck, it gets over my skill level.

In fact, after that run, I only played a couple runs more trying to get as far as possible without using bombs/hypers at all (3rd boss' last phase it was :mrgreen: ). That's the level of burnout I got hahaha

I may come back at it any day, but will take a break for now :wink:

Looking forward to R-Type Final 2 now! Hope it turns out well ^.^

--------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

The thing is... Earlier today I got ACA Gradius III for my Switch (you know, to play something easy between RG and R-TF2 :lol: ) but had to wait because of a big patch downloading so... What could I possibly do? Automatically booted up Rolling Gunner :roll:

Gave Expert mode a run and after watching my score I thought I could submit it (if only to give Roo another motive to get back to the game haha. After all, he deserves the top spot).

EXPERT
SPM - 1,093,185,220 - 5 BOSS - RX - Switch - Image

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

SPM wrote: Looking forward to R-Type Final 2 now! Hope it turns out well ^.^
You and me both! Thanks for taking another stab at the underpopulated Expert boards!
Special World

Post by Special World »

Thanks for the encouragement EmperorIng and SPM!

And...

RX / Casual / TRUE ALL

Could have got it with RA, but wanted to try RX for a run. What set me over the top was BKR’s strategy post—I didn’t realize that rapid shotting popcorn enemies gave you more medal value. Gave me that slight edge I needed!

One question for BKR or anyone else—in the strategy section, BKR says that you want to activate your red hyper as soon as the red ring is full. My understanding is that you want to ride the green hyper till its almost out or you can get a juicy cancel. My question is, why start your red hyper as soon as possible? Is that for high level play, so you can work on getting the next hyper and increasing rank? I assume the rest of your green meter doesn’t carry over to red, right?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats on breaking through to 210 million!

It depends on what you're trying to do. For safety during a stage, using your Power Up (green hyper) as long as possible before going into Limiter Release (red hyper) is helpful simply for using your extra shot power to clear stuff. If you're looking to score though, the giant medals earned during Limiter Release are worth considerable more than the ones during Power Up, so as soon as the red meter is maxed out you want to start Limiter Release when there's an opportunity to start collecting medals. Ideally, if you can get a cancel, that's best. Otherwise, if you ride out the Power Up while you have a full Limiter Release ready to go, you're collecting a bunch of lower value medals when you could be collecting them at the maximum value.

If you need the extra shot power for pure survival purposes, or if you're not sure if/where you'll be able to rapidly recharge at the end of Limiter Release, then using Powerup as long as possible followed by Limiter Release works too.

Examples of this in Casual on Stage 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3FzszRznE&t=46m40s At 46:40 I max out the red meter here with about half the green meter remaining so I stop firing, wait for enemies to appear, then go into Limiter Release to cash in on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3FzszRznE&t=2835s At 47:15 I know there's a huge wave of popcorn here I want to cash in on and recharge off of, so I use Limiter Release with about 3/4 full so I can get the big medals off the enemies as well as the big recharge prior to the miniboss. If I waited until the Power Up was nearly done before going into Limiter Release, I won't get big medals from the enemies, and my Limiter Release will run out some point during midboss, losing big medals I could've had from attacking and cancelling the midboss.

Apparently scores of 300+ mil are possible in Casual, so are obviously better ways of scoring and tricks I am not aware of.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Apparently scores of 300+ mil are possible in Casual, so are obviously better ways of scoring and tricks I am not aware of.
People interested in pushing Casual should check this replay out.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Special World

Post by Special World »

Ah I see. Basically since the game is only 30ish(?) minutes long, you want to spend as much time in red hyper and minimize everything else. Makes sense!

Man, this game has like... such good layers. I feel like you can just naturally work on a bunch of different stuff. I had a great run last night, and then got too conservative at the end and just barely beat my score. I feel like it’s rock-solid like that—every point comes from somewhere and you can be on your A-game at all times to push things further.

Thanks for the replay, Cstarflare! Really excellent.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rolling Gunner's off the front page? This cannot be! New Novice score I got a month ago:

Novice Mode
BareKnuckleRoo & 260,518,010 & TRUE ALL & RX & PC ver 2.10

Played a credit of Rolling Gunner on Casual just to show it off at the end of a stream. Despite autobombs all over the place, somehow still got a PB due to some aggressive pointblanking and a really fortunate TLB fight where I manage to avoid bombing until the final attack. I'm enjoying the RX's speed balance more than the RS I think.

Casual Mode
BareKnuckleRoo & 276,523,510 & TRUE ALL & RX & PC ver 2.10

Video of both: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3FzszRznE
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Cannot be, cannot be! :mrgreen:

Getting closer to 300M 8)

I prefer the RX as well. RS's focus speed is too fast and RA's normal speed is too low. And RX's spread shot is wide enough.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

And yet the RX is the worst at dealing with popcorn. The RS's ability to quickly sweep and always fire straight, as well as the RA's sheer coverage are both better. The RX's only weakness is when on the right hand side of the screen aiming left: it fires so wide with a blind spot in the middle as it fires that you have to wait for the pattern to sweep to kill popcorn now and then. Not a major issue you can't work around, but it's an occasional snag like at the end of S4 before the boss. Still, a very useful ship. I'm tempted to play with the RA more as I've seen it's the popular scoring ship. It's always felt too slow though; not my cup of tea.
Special World

Post by Special World »

New personal best! Pretty pleased with it!

CASUAL
Special World - 237,010,970 - TRUE ALL - RA - Switch - https://ibb.co/3kq5BtH

Also did a novice run and a few original runs just to throw something on the board:
Novice: RA / TRUE ALL / 228,155,860
Original: RA / 3boss / 141,629,290
Last edited by Special World on Sat May 22, 2021 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitsuruga

Post by mitsuruga »

Over Power Original Mode - 1cc - 1.861.168.010
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Great work! I added you in. I assume you played on Switch but I am not sure.

For future reference for you and others in the topic, please try to post scores in this format, just so it's easier for me to add the scores to the table.

Code: Select all

MODE
Name - Score - Stage - Ship - Platform - [url=]link[/url]
mitsuruga

Post by mitsuruga »

Yes, it was the Switch port and thanks for the hint, will post in the format next time.
Special World

Post by Special World »

ORIGINAL
Special World - 282,395,310 - 5 - RA - Switch

OVERPOWER ORIGINAL
Special World - 5,839,040,140 - TRUE ALL - RX - Switch

Don’t forget to add my Casual score posted above—I fixed the formatting for ya. Thanks, Ing!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats! And yes, it appears we're up to 7 recent scores missing from the board currently.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Great to see new scores being submitted :D
Special World wrote:ORIGINAL
Special World - 282,395,310 - 5 - RA - Switch
Really close to get that second extend. And given that stage 5 is not that bad I'm sure you'll be fighting stage 6 in no time. That one's second half is tough though, but you've got this! :mrgreen:
Special World

Post by Special World »

Thank you so much for your kind words!! But... not ready to 1CC original mode this millennium!

On the other hand, it’s great training for casual...

CASUAL
Special World - 250,138,780 - TRUE ALL - RA - Switch
https://ibb.co/ckB8Qy4

If I could get the 1 life clear I could probably push it to 260mil. But that damn TLB gets me down two stocks no matter what! Ah well, plenty pleased with this :)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

A couple minor score improvements:

Standard - Novice Mode
BareKnuckleRoo & 265,415,950 & TRUE ALL & RX & PC ver 2.10

Nomissed the final boss and TLB but only had 5 out of 6 bombs in stock because I smacked in to one of the giant carriers pre final boss. Oops. Not sure 300 mil is doable in Novice but I'm quite pleased with how optimized the scoring in this run felt, I nailed nearly all the big cancels.

Over Power - Expert Mode
BareKnuckleRoo & 8,090,419,910 & TRUE ALL & RX & PC ver 2.10

Got hit less, got a much bigger end bonus, still died several times. Ended with 1 spare life and a nearly full shield stock. My opinion hasn't changed, I'm still not fond of this mode because 99% of the challenge comes from all the messy as heck revenge bullets rather than enemy patterns themselves.
Satis

Post by Satis »

Shocked (but pleased) to see that this game has activity on here.

Started playing this a few days ago and it's basically already my second favorite stg. Liking Original more so far than Expert mainly due to how restricted your movement can feel sometimes with the constant zako 3-way spreads, especially at high rank.

Original
Satis - 2,211,864,760 - 6 - RS - PC - https://i.imgur.com/ZDT83fY.png

Expert
Satis - 1,253,454,720 - 5 MBOSS - RA - PC - https://i.imgur.com/XFae4Iy.png

RS clear personal favorite even if the bigger medal collection radius can make some of the milks a bit more finicky.
Satis

Post by Satis »

Destroyed my past self, learned stage 5 since last credit but nothing of the boss or stage 6. Made it to the stage 6 boss for the first time but unsurprisingly evaporated pretty fast with only one bomb in stock.

Original
Satis - 3,192,078,680 - 6 BOSS - RS - PC - https://i.imgur.com/2YYNMcD.png

I don't learn anything specifically for expert but some of what I learn in original can be used here in expert too.

Expert
Satis - 1,559,706,670 - 5 MBOSS - RS - PC - https://i.imgur.com/2p4aJc8.png

This game is awesome.
Satis

Post by Satis »

Something for each mode, no specific routes for non-original but my original experience carries over a bit.
Too lazy for pictures this time, doubt anyone cares either way.

Also I only realized AFTER routing all the stages but 6 that using Limit raises rank by 1 during stage portions. A hilariously sad misstep and now I have to reroute the game again.

Original
Satis - 4,371,881,560 - 6 TBOSS - RS - PC

Expert
Satis - 2,563,186,760 - 5 BOSS - RX - PC

Casual
Satis - 282,631,010 - TRUE ALL - RA - PC

Novice
Satis - 266,075,620 - TRUE ALL - RA - PC
SPM

Post by SPM »

Wow! Congrats on 4B+! Would love to see a replay! Do you upload them or stream anywhere?
Satis

Post by Satis »

Thanks.
Video

I stream sometimes here.

Recording the replay made me realize how many hilarious mistakes there were, especially in stage 4.
There's a lot of stuff I haven't practiced yet or simply don't have a route for (bosses mostly) thus there's still huge gains to be made.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Big congrats to satis for dominating the scoreboards! Especially with some video reference as well. It's much appreciated and man, what a wild ride it is with the game's rank so high.

I think I should have updated everything with the most recent scores now. If I didn't, please link to the post I missed instead of saying "check out my edit 15 posts up!"