Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
SPM

Re: Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

Post by SPM »

Original is kicking my ass! but I'm making progress :D

I need some serious practice in stage 6 if I want to make it any further though... I think I prefer that stage in casual, here it's getting out of control haha and bombs start to be required in some parts (at least for my skill) and that's something I don't love :mrgreen:

ORIGINAL
SPM - 797,123,940 - 6 - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/FBL7jvf

Also, the other links:
NOVICE: https://ibb.co/bQjKCw9
CASUAL: https://ibb.co/JnG4567
EXPERT: https://ibb.co/B6Xm3Vm
(hope these work with the table function)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thank you, they do! Congratulations on working up the ranks on Original; it is such a brutal game.

The worst is that using your bombs makes it extremely hard (if not impossible?!) to reach the final boss with a high enough rank requirement. You have to really learn how to kill everything without needing to rely on your bombs for that.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Got my Original clear! :D (not TLB)

I was having my best run so far and made it to the 5th boss with 4 lives and 2 bombs. But midway through the fight I had to answer a call and put off the run (thanks Switch sleep mode though!!!). The problem was losing the momentum. When I got back I went downhill, really fast :lol: Autobombed and lost a life in that boss and just barely survived stage 6 with just one bomb left after the clear. But it was a clear nonetheless :mrgreen:

ORIGINAL
SPM - 824,016,270 - ALL - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/PFzkN7V

Afterwards I gave Expert a chance and improved a bit, but that may be too much for me. I think I'll stay on Original :roll:

EXPERT
SPM - 308,261,960 - 4 MBOSS - RX - Switch - https://ibb.co/prc1sHX
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
SPM

Post by SPM »

I managed to record the replay with a cheap 10€ capture card: https://youtu.be/iP5Yuinl33E
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I got around to uploading the Expert All clear onto Youtube, updated the link on the original post with the YT link instead of the Twitch link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVS-PhR-BA
How do you manage to record the shots "flickering"? In my case it seems like the capture card (or OBS software) is recording less frames, resulting in reduced flickering and even not flickering at all... is it just because I'm a cheap bastard that refused to spend more money on a capture card? :lol: :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Great job on the Original clear!

I'm playing on the PC version and using OBS to record. My OBS settings are 1280 x 720 resolution, 60 FPS, veryfast presets, 15000-20000 Kbps bitrate. You may need to tweak your settings to see what will improve your recordings, I know that playing around with settings and tweaking them is fairly time consuming but once you've got those nailed down you're set for future recordings!

I don't know how well capture cards compare in terms of budget vs high end. May well be a case of getting what you pay for? Dunno, I've never used one.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Great job SPM! I've updated the boards and added your video link. Getting a clear of Original is no small achievement. Especially when you get out of your groove like you did; that's happened to me many times before. GG on being able to bounce back! I'll be watching your replay to get some more 'down to earth' hints and strategies, a bit closer to my skill level vs. the TRUE ALL replays 8)

Also, I finally watched one of the links to the Over Power scores. There's actually a TLB requirement? The fuck? I have triggered it without even trying to do so each and every time! What could it possibly be?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

As far as I know it's rank-based, just like the original game. It may even be the same requirement as the standard game (15 or above to trigger), except that it's obviously much easier to maintain high rank in Overpower due to the bullet cancelling. Overpower also has tweaked how many medals it takes to hit next rank; unlike the standard game where it increases linearly, Overpower makes it so low rank requires fewer medals to hit the next rank, with the requirement increasing as you go higher (see: the small green numbers beside the rank value).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah I thought it might be rank based, though I have had a run or so where I died on the final stage, or final boss (which resets rank to 1) and still managed to trigger the TLB... though truth be told unless I look through my video footage I can't say what rank I got it up to by the time the TLB triggered. I just assumed that it was always there!

The highest rank I've gotten is somewhere around 20 I think. I am not sure what the max is for Over Power.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Overpower is different from the standard game in how high rank can go.

In the standard game, both Original and Expert can go up to rank 50, with rank increasing at a linear rate. Rank 50 on Expert is much harder than Rank 50 on Original but I suspect that's because Expert naturally has far denser, tougher patterns, and each Rank level may still correspond to the same % speed increase between difficulties?

In Overpower, as previously mentioned, rank increases are slower the higher you go. It takes more medals to get from one rank to the next at high rank. Also, Original has a hard rank cap of 20; it's impossible to get Rank above 20 on Original difficulty. Expert allows Rank to go all the way to 50 (I think it's 9x score multiplier at Rank 50?), thus far higher scores are possible on Expert.
SPM

Post by SPM »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I'm playing on the PC version and using OBS to record. My OBS settings are 1280 x 720 resolution, 60 FPS, veryfast presets, 15000-20000 Kbps bitrate. You may need to tweak your settings to see what will improve your recordings, I know that playing around with settings and tweaking them is fairly time consuming but once you've got those nailed down you're set for future recordings!

I don't know how well capture cards compare in terms of budget vs high end. May well be a case of getting what you pay for? Dunno, I've never used one.
It seems to be that. I tried recording my screen when playing your Expert video and captured the flickering. So it has to be the capture card.
EmperorIng wrote:I'll be watching your replay to get some more 'down to earth' hints and strategies, a bit closer to my skill level vs. the TRUE ALL replays 8)
Couldn't get closer to earth :lol:

There was a lot of deviation from my strategies in training mode though. I hope one day I can pull them off in "the run" and update the video :D (I may want to improve some "strategies" first though :roll: :lol: )
SPM

Post by SPM »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:One trick for stretching your resources during bosses is rapid recharging, which you can use any time you have a bomb and you're sitting on a Power-Up that's ready to activate. With a Power-Up ready to go, use it to cancel bullets when you're about to be hit, and then the next time you're about to be hit (or if the timer is about to run out), quickly mash the bomb button so you rapidly activate Overmode -> Bomb. What happens is you cancel bullets into big medals with the Overmode activation but then immediately cancel the Overmode and go back to normal state with the bomb, and all those medals you collect instantly get you another Power-Up ready to go, which can again be used for score or simply to cancel bullets. It's a very helpful technique on the true last boss, who normally is troublesome to recover your Power-Up meter against due to having a bomb shield.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Everyone playing this for score needs to watch this ASAP because this player is of a godlike caliber. They're pushing for 7 billion on original and are getting the first score extend in Stage 1, second before the Stage 2 boss thanks to advanced milking techniques: https://www.twitch.tv/thatsserious / https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784349210
Their 5.95 billion video is gold and hadn't seen their TLB fight until now! Thanks for sharing :D

I was wondering what the best way to keep your fast-recharging loop was when you run out of bombs. I was thinking of dying with your full meter at 1000, but it's better to use it and suicide when you would use a bomb. You can see that in action in their TLB fight.

I have a small clip of that tech recorded on youtube for future reference (since I think Twitch eventually deletes old videos, like the one quoted): https://youtu.be/6yvz46HLZJE
SPM

Post by SPM »

EDIT: New PB on Original. Went pretty well 'til stage 6, even with some mistakes here and there.

Still need to improve consistency, timing my hypers better, coming up with a solid plan for the second part of stage 6 aaaand not panicking! hehe

ORIGINAL
SPM - 1,333,801,720 - ALL - RX - Switch - https://youtu.be/0wPALvU9QY4
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Anyone looking for good Rolling Gunner play might want to check out this channel. He's streaming expert mode attempts and pushing over 3 billion.

https://youtu.be/hCKpeXG6yZY
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Cool link; I will check out some of these streams!
SPM wrote:EDIT: New PB on Original. Went pretty well 'til stage 6, even with some mistakes here and there.

Still need to improve consistency, timing my hypers better, coming up with a solid plan for the second part of stage 6 aaaand not panicking! hehe
Really awesome score SPM, sorry it took a few days to get to it. You're improving quite a bit at such a difficult game.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Thanks, I find this game kind of brutal in Original tbh, but I love it. I should be able to no-miss the game until the second half of stage 6 where you reach the bottom after the descending part with the lasers (from then on I need several bombs), but I usually autobomb here and there and waste lots of bombs (and lives).

I've given up several times on getting a TRUE ALL, but I keep coming back again hehe.

My best chance of triggering the TLB was getting an ALL with 2 lives and 1 bomb left, but my rank was reduced to 11 by then.

Today I've tried the advanced milking technique Roo said to get the rank way up on the first boss, and thus being able to use more bombs freely, but it's finicky to say the least! (I guess it's called advanced for a reason :lol: :oops: )

Here's one of my few successful attempts:
Spoiler
(doing it like this may be kind of consistent, using both hypers on the top left corner with that timing)
Edit: Nope. It's best to do the second hyper at the bottom left corner, as seen in my next post.
Last edited by SPM on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's harder than many arcade 1CCs in Original, tough for sure, especially at high rank! Honestly, to get a True All I need to beat the final boss with 3 lives, 0 bombs or 2 lives, 3 bombs remaining. Anything less will get me killed in a True All attempt, it's quite a nasty TLB. Keep at it, you can do it!

also EmperorIng you should update muh scores ;w; (and I should get off my ass and record the replay files for the Novice and Casual run, I'm pretty pleased with those)
SPM

Post by SPM »

Finally reached the TLB!! :D :D :D
(With no lives and no bombs hahaha so you can imagine :roll: )

BTW, there IS a timer on the bosses (managed to get up to 169M on the first stage this way)
Spoiler
So in order to max out score and get the rank as high as possible not only do we need to keep the milking tech going but also use the first hyper as fast as possible and the second hyper as late as possible.

I got a bigger score today though, but ended with rank at 14, so no TLB here:

ORIGINAL
SPM - 1,593,652,800 - ALL - RX - Switch - Link

Last edited by SPM on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

OVERPOWER ORIGINAL
FCE - 7214866540 - TRUE ALL - RS - Switch - Link

I saved the replay but, stupidly, not a screenshot. Not even sure how to upload said replay to Youtube or if that is even possible. Forgive my idiocy pls.

Never thought I'd (be frying over a jungle) enjoy a bullet hell in handheld, but I really enjoy playing this on a tiny screen for some reason. Also had Auto Buster Beam turned on, dunno if we have rules about that...

I should really put more time into the original version.

Edit: Added link to screenshot taken from my replay. Thanks again, SPM.
Last edited by floralcateyes on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPM

Post by SPM »

You need a capture card to upload Switch videos longer than 30 sec, but you can take a screenshot of your ranking board or at the end of your replay (take into account that you can fast forward the replay really fast if you want to get to a specific part. Just tap right several times with your left stick, in each stage and cutscene since the game restarts the normal speed with each transition) :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Some updated scores, mostly due to as aggressive scoring as possible and minimizing silly autobombs. If anyone wants the replay files for them (or a Youtube upload, I'm most happy about the Original True All currently but I think my Casual and Novice scores are optimized enough I'd be happy with tossing them on Youtube, though it is possible to push them higher) let me know.

Rolling Gunner v.2.10 - Original
BareKnuckleRoo & 2,232,755,370 & 6 TBOSS & RS & PC
I'd love to watch that video Roo ^.^

Also... dammit! I thought you were closer with your 1.8B hahaha
Last edited by SPM on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

Thanks! Had a feeling I'd need a capture card or something similar to save a full replay in a useable format. Will take a screenshot of the end of my replay when I can, then I'll edit my post accordingly.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Finally updated Roo's long-suffering scores (suffering in silence). Hopefully this means the thread is now entirely up to date!
floralcateyes wrote: Never thought I'd (be frying over a jungle) enjoy a bullet hell in handheld, but I really enjoy playing this on a tiny screen for some reason. Also had Auto Buster Beam turned on, dunno if we have rules about that...
Nice job on the clear, FCE! I'm glad to add you to the board. I'm not going to worry about auto Buster on/off because from my limited understanding it doesn't seem to make enough of a difference - not enough for this scoreboard anyhow! Yes, this game (and especially overpower) can be an enjoyable experience even on handheld. I've even played RG on a long train ride here and there.

SPM, I am glad to see you forging ahead! I am eagerly awaiting the day you not only clinch the true ALL, but smash right on through to the top spots of the leaderboards. GG on a new best!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats on the new personal bests! Great to see people still showing love to Rolling Gunner. As far as Auto Buster goes, there might be a strategic advantage to playing with it off, whereas Auto Buster on is easier but not as optimal for scoring? I don't know, but it shouldn't make a huge difference, the only reason I'd see you would turn it off is for scoring purposes. It's handy for survival play.

Also, cheers on the score updates. ;3
I'd love to watch that video Roo ^.^

Also... dammit! I thought you were closer with your 1.8B hahaha
Yeah, sorry. If I get a proper run going with milking (I can actually do the Stage 1 and Stage 3 bosses, I just need to survive decently afterwards!) I think 2.5 bil might be possible for me? It'll be tricky to get a True All at high rank though... I'll record and upload all the current best scores tonight. I may make that Original one unlisted though, it's pretty shameful how it ends and is easily one of my most embarrassing screwups in any recent playthrough. >_>;

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE:

I ran into an annoying oversight/bug this weekend while doing milking. It happened to me twice: https://www.twitch.tv/bkroo/clip/Neighb ... E8q8myQ2p4 (I'm rewatching a replay and using the arrow keys to pause)

It looks like the point where you've collected enough medals during Power Up to get the red swirly animation that's supposed to show your Over Mode is ready happens right before the Over Mode bar actually turns red. Like, 1 or 2 tiny medal difference. You can see I get the red swirly orb animation suck into my ship, but the bar remains grey. I press the bomb button... and get a normal bomb. You gotta make absolutely sure the Over Mode bar is actually red to confirm it's ready to go, it seems. :/

This actually happened to me twice in one day. The first time I thought I accidentally pushed bomb twice in a row, but the second time I used a bomb when I thought my red bar was full I knew something was wrong, went and watched the replay... and made this discovery. :( It only applies to this sort of score milking and it only rarely happens because the margin of how many medals you need for this to happen vs your red meter being ready is razor-thin, but it does mean you need to shoot the boss and grab another medal or two to actually ready your red meter.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Oh that's weird! I've never come across that situation (that I'm aware of). Maybe there's a way to provide feedback to the devs? It's an annoyance for sure.

2.5B... Damn! :shock: That's definitely out of reach haha! Past certain point I feel like planning and timing will become too strict? At least that japanese ~6B run surely looks like that. Certain strategies I wouldn't even attempt, no chance! :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Here are the videos for my current personal bests in Novice, Casual, and Original:

Original (embarrassing)

Novice & Casual (in one video)
SPM

Post by SPM »

Thanks for posting! Great replays :D
Didn't remember Casual hadn't a rank system!

Also, this boss milking thing is just awesome! But once the bosses time out we can't cancel the bullets on screen AND they may kill us! :evil: Trust me, some auto-bombs were lost this way :lol:

The OST helps with timing these though! There are some "changes" before the time-out.

-------------------------

UPDATE: Doing this I managed to get ~700M through stages 1-3. Still can't even finish a normal run with high rank though (let alone a TRUE ALL).

Anyway, 2 billion points milestone! :D :D

ORIGINAL
SPM - 2,244,909,600 - 6 BOSS - RX - Switch - Link

Last edited by SPM on Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Double post to include milking techs for bosses 2 and 3:

Rolling Gunner - 2nd boss milking
Rolling Gunner - 3rd boss milking

I'm sure there may be better, more advanced ways to do it but these are consistent for me. The problem now is practicing the next 3 stages starting with rank 30. I had a consistent 4th stage, not anymore... :mrgreen:

@Roo: Milking this much you could probably get to 3B or more (considering you are able to get to 2B+ without it)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

SPM wrote: Anyway, 2 billion points! :D :D
Wow, what a huge jump up in score. Congratulations!! I think snagging the top spot on this leaderboard should be a piece of cake for you by now, especially with these lucrative milking strategies. Nice job man!

I don't know how much the arcade game differs, but the WR holder has broken 10 billion with all three ships, so there must be some insane milking tricks that we haven't mastered yet.
SPM

Post by SPM »

EmperorIng wrote:
SPM wrote: Anyway, 2 billion points! :D :D
Wow, what a huge jump up in score. Congratulations!! I think snagging the top spot on this leaderboard should be a piece of cake for you by now, especially with these lucrative milking strategies. Nice job man!
:wink: Just updated the post 1 min after you commented! :mrgreen: Top spot it is! :D :D :D

(But as I said, Roo could easily get 3B if he tried these... So it's just a matter of him letting me be first or not :lol: )
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ha ha, you gotta slow down for a slow-ass updater like me. :P
Well done!! And don't let no one take your first place from you without a fight. Hold on to it jealously and stomp the competition! :mrgreen: I gotta try some of these strategies out... at the same time with just my normal mediocre play I can barely survive stage 3...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats on the new high score! What's your next goal, pushing for 3 billion? Going for a True All? I kinda burned out on Rolling Gunner after the Expert clear. I'm still getting back into it, pushing Donpachi/DDP scores a bit before hopefully going to Giga Wing and Rolling Gunner for scoring. a 3 bil+ True All clear of Original would be nice and is my next goal for the game. I'm getting good at the S1 and S3 milk (bad at S2) but have yet to get a run going that makes it later in the game with enough resources to last.