* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:30 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Thunder Force V (SS/PS1)
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:22 am 

THUNDER FORCE V

"It died three times, and was reborn twice."

Technosoft's swan song to the venerable Thunder Force series. Not as polished as their 16-bit entries, but not without its own charm!

Rules: 1 Credit. Note your version, difficulty, ship selection (when playing the PS1 port), and route. I will put them in the appropriate table. If you make it to the final boss but get the bad ending, or fail to kill it in time, use ALL, like in the game. If you defeat the TLB use ALL!, like in the game.

If there is interest for the time attack mode (either version! SS still logs your time, even if it lacks PS1's dedicated mode), I will make a table for that as well. Could be a neat challenge.

NOTE: Master Difficulty is unlocked by beating the game on Hard.
Also NOTE: Play the game on Master, folks. It's a lot better that way. :wink:

POSTING SCORES

Please post scores in this format:

Code:
SYSTEM, DIFFICULTY, MODE
(e.g. PS1, Hard, Time Attack)

SHIP
Name & Score & Stage Reached & Route (1-2-3 etc.)

An example would thus look:
Code:
Saturn, Kids

Gauntlet
EmperorIng & 900,000,000 & 5 & 2-3-1

SEGA SATURN

Normal

Hard

Master

Playstation

Blue Gauntlet

Normal

Hard

Master

Red Gauntlet

Normal

Green Gauntlet

Purple Gauntlet

Last edited by EmperorIng on Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thunder Force V (SS/PS1)
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:29 am 

I've been playing this again recently, to wash the bitter taste of overly-difficulty shootemups out of my mouth. :P Been having some fun, outside those few stretches where you sit still, hold fire, and watch the stage go by (hello, stage 4!). Part of all this effort was to unlock Master difficulty, and it's worth it.

Saturn, Normal

EmperorIng & 733,446,400 & ALL! & 3-2-1

Saturn, Hard

EmperorIng & 821,728,560 & ALL! & 3-1-2

I hope to try for at least one Master ALL! clear for Thunder Force V before I really consider myself satisfied. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:00 pm 

Fancy new thread.

What's the situation on the Japanese and American releases of the PS1 version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:48 pm 

Thanks! I try to put a little effort into my score threads (see: Soukyugurentai* :wink: ).

Good catch on the PS1 versions; I had forgotten about it. I suppose on the old thread the PS1 scores were exclusively the WD release. Here if someone were to post with the Japanese PS1 release I think I'd make a new table for it, because the scores would not be compatible - Working Designs added an extra multiplier to the Free Range weapon, which makes it a totally different beast than the Technosoft original. In the WD port, you can get an additional multiplier to your kill depending on the proximity of your attack. This goes up to 3x (for each "range" on Free Range). Ostensibly, this means you can get up to 3x(16x) on an enemy, or 48x its score value. I don't know if the Japanese PS1 game is identical to the Saturn, but I think it's likely, outside of the extra ships.

Interestingly, it looks like Working Designs made it harder, if not almost impossible, to get a "perfect score" (every possible point earned) than it is on the Saturn original - I think by upping the score counter to add for their $10,000 contest gimmick.

*I still need to migrate all the names over; it took me around 40 minutes just to do this one. I was waiting for people to post in the Souky thread to get motivated... :oops:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 pm 

Right, I always figured the Japanese PS1 release was more or less a revised Saturn release.

I'm not sure how to feel about the changes. A good idea for its own game, but grafting it onto an existing game seems like a questionable idea. Better to make a different game than a slightly worse one though, like WD did with Ray Storm. WD is usually pretty good about changes but the contests they had for shmups lead to some dumb things.

Whoa, totally missed that Souky thread. Let me see if I can dig up something for that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
Thanks! I try to put a little effort into my score threads (see: Soukyugurentai* :wink: ).

Good catch on the PS1 versions; I had forgotten about it. I suppose on the old thread the PS1 scores were exclusively the WD release. Here if someone were to post with the Japanese PS1 release I think I'd make a new table for it, because the scores would not be compatible - Working Designs added an extra multiplier to the Free Range weapon, which makes it a totally different beast than the Technosoft original. In the WD port, you can get an additional multiplier to your kill depending on the proximity of your attack. This goes up to 3x (for each "range" on Free Range). Ostensibly, this means you can get up to 3x(16x) on an enemy, or 48x its score value. I don't know if the Japanese PS1 game is identical to the Saturn, but I think it's likely, outside of the extra ships.

Interestingly, it looks like Working Designs made it harder, if not almost impossible, to get a "perfect score" (every possible point earned) than it is on the Saturn original - I think by upping the score counter to add for their $10,000 contest gimmick.

The Playstation Version DOES max out at 1,103,999,995!!!! I am living proof of rhis. There is a “Score Milking Area” in the game where you are able to sit and just destroy stuff until you are satisfied. You also MUST get perfect “End Game Bonus” to het it, which you MUST have at least 1 hit on your shield for a perfect weapon bonus. It tales 3hrs to do this.

The FINAL play for the contest was only for 2nd through 5th place. When you max the score out, that’s wjat happens.

*I still need to migrate all the names over; it took me around 40 minutes just to do this one. I was waiting for people to post in the Souky thread to get motivated... :oops:

Offline Profile