Thunder Force V (SS/PS1)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
EmperorIng

Thunder Force V (SS/PS1)

Post by EmperorIng »

THUNDER FORCE V
"It died three times, and was reborn twice."
Technosoft's swan song to the venerable Thunder Force series. Not as polished as their 16-bit entries, but not without its own charm!

Rules: 1 Credit. Note your version, difficulty, ship selection (when playing the PS1 port), and route. I will put them in the appropriate table. If you make it to the final boss but get the bad ending, or fail to kill it in time, use ALL, like in the game. If you defeat the TLB use ALL!, like in the game.

If there is interest for the time attack mode (either version! SS still logs your time, even if it lacks PS1's dedicated mode), I will make a table for that as well. Could be a neat challenge.

NOTE: Master Difficulty is unlocked by beating the game on Hard.
Also NOTE: Play the game on Master, folks. It's a lot better that way. :wink:

POSTING SCORES

Please post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

SYSTEM, DIFFICULTY, MODE
(e.g. PS1, Hard, Time Attack)

SHIP
Name & Score & Stage Reached & Route (1-2-3 etc.)
An example would thus look:

Code: Select all

Saturn, Kids

Gauntlet
EmperorIng & 900,000,000 & 5 & 2-3-1
SEGA SATURN
Normal
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE & IMAGE/VIDEO R=1 & copy-paster & 1,045,552,120 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & [url=https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1723037079]replay[/url] R=2 & 2a03 & 1,103,499,990 & ALL! & 3-2-1 & R=3 & Icarus & 1,017,540,200 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & R=4 & D-Ku A-M & 871,206,520 & ALL & 3-1-2 & R=5 & tassian & 825,570,200 & ALL & 3-1-2 & R=6 & azmun & 799,576,840 & ALL! & 1-2-3 & R=7 & The Coop & 786,359,720 & ALL & 1-2-3 & R=8 & alpha5099 & 763,310,280 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & R=9 & HeWhoGoverns & 759,150,920 & ALL! & 3-2-1 & R=10 & it290 & 745,426,920 & 7 & 1-2-3 & R=11 & EmperorIng & 733,446,400 & ALL! & 3-2-1 & R=12 & jp & 684,123,040 & ALL & 1-3-2 & R=13 & J-Manic & 584,412,110 & ALL & 1-2-3 &

Hard
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE & IMAGE/VIDEO R=1 & copy-paster & 1,088,460,520 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & [url=https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1726893518]replay[/url] R=2 & EmperorIng & 821,728,560 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & R=3 & The Coop & 693,073,920 & ALL & 1-2-3 & R=4 & Kollision & 592,105,040 & ALL! & 1-2-3 & R=5 & & & & &

Master
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE & IMAGE/VIDEO R=1 & ThunderForce & 1,143,999,999 & ALL! & 3-2-1 & R=1 & copy-paster & 1,143,999,999 & ALL! & 3-1-2 & [url=https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1746704208]replay[/url] R=2 & The Coop & 659,081,920 & ALL & 1-2-3 & R=3 & & & & &

Playstation
Blue Gauntlet
Normal
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE R=1 & ThunderForce & 1,103,999,995 & ALL! & 3-1-2 R=2 & PlasmaBlooD & 639,799,720 & ALL & 1-2-3 R=3 & Austin & 498,201,405 & ALL! & 1-2-3 R=4 & EIHoppe & 527,287,885 & ALL! & 3-1-2 R=5 & velocity7 & 521,576,125 & ALL! & 3-1-2 R=6 & Fogelmir & 503,896,245 & ??? & 3-1-2 R=7 & Ghegs & 485,549,565 & ALL! & 3-2-1 R=8 & KimKas & 404,532,941 & ALL! & 3-1-2 R=9 & sharc & 381,444,181 & ALL! & 1-2-3 R=10 & gs68 & 307,166,360 & 7 & 3-1-2 R=11 & Observer & 275,811,600 & 6 & 3-1-2 R=12 & SFKhoa & 238,634,700 & 6 & 3-1-2

Hard
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE R=1 & Ghegs & 423,552,041 & ALL! & 3-2-1 R=2 & & & &

Master
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE R=1 & ThunderForce & 779,717,835 & ALL! & 3-2-1 R=2 & copy-paster & 587,007,085 & ALL! & 1-2-3

Red Gauntlet
Normal
R=RANK & PLAYER & SCORE & STAGE & ROUTE R=1 & gs68 & 278,887,520 & 7 & 3-1-2 R=2 & & & &

Green Gauntlet
Purple Gauntlet
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EmperorIng

Re: Thunder Force V (SS/PS1)

Post by EmperorIng »

I've been playing this again recently, to wash the bitter taste of overly-difficulty shootemups out of my mouth. :P Been having some fun, outside those few stretches where you sit still, hold fire, and watch the stage go by (hello, stage 4!). Part of all this effort was to unlock Master difficulty, and it's worth it.

Saturn, Normal

EmperorIng & 733,446,400 & ALL! & 3-2-1

Saturn, Hard

EmperorIng & 821,728,560 & ALL! & 3-1-2

I hope to try for at least one Master ALL! clear for Thunder Force V before I really consider myself satisfied. 8)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Fancy new thread.

What's the situation on the Japanese and American releases of the PS1 version?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks! I try to put a little effort into my score threads (see: Soukyugurentai* :wink: ).

EDIT: THIS INFORMATION IS NO LONGER VALID, SEE BELOW

Good catch on the PS1 versions; I had forgotten about it. I suppose on the old thread the PS1 scores were exclusively the WD release. Here if someone were to post with the Japanese PS1 release I think I'd make a new table for it, because the scores would not be compatible - Working Designs added an extra multiplier to the Free Range weapon, which makes it a totally different beast than the Technosoft original. In the WD port, you can get an additional multiplier to your kill depending on the proximity of your attack. This goes up to 3x (for each "range" on Free Range). Ostensibly, this means you can get up to 3x(16x) on an enemy, or 48x its score value. I don't know if the Japanese PS1 game is identical to the Saturn, but I think it's likely, outside of the extra ships.

Interestingly, it looks like Working Designs made it harder, if not almost impossible, to get a "perfect score" (every possible point earned) than it is on the Saturn original - I think by upping the score counter to add for their $10,000 contest gimmick.

EDIT: This info being called into question, so please don't take it as 100% gospel. It very well may be that PS1 USA release does NOT have the extra multiplier. More testing is needed.

*I still need to migrate all the names over; it took me around 40 minutes just to do this one. I was waiting for people to post in the Souky thread to get motivated... :oops:
Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Right, I always figured the Japanese PS1 release was more or less a revised Saturn release.

I'm not sure how to feel about the changes. A good idea for its own game, but grafting it onto an existing game seems like a questionable idea. Better to make a different game than a slightly worse one though, like WD did with Ray Storm. WD is usually pretty good about changes but the contests they had for shmups lead to some dumb things.

Whoa, totally missed that Souky thread. Let me see if I can dig up something for that...
ThunderForce 222

Post by ThunderForce 222 »

EmperorIng wrote:Thanks! I try to put a little effort into my score threads (see: Soukyugurentai* :wink: ).

Good catch on the PS1 versions; I had forgotten about it. I suppose on the old thread the PS1 scores were exclusively the WD release. Here if someone were to post with the Japanese PS1 release I think I'd make a new table for it, because the scores would not be compatible - Working Designs added an extra multiplier to the Free Range weapon, which makes it a totally different beast than the Technosoft original. In the WD port, you can get an additional multiplier to your kill depending on the proximity of your attack. This goes up to 3x (for each "range" on Free Range). Ostensibly, this means you can get up to 3x(16x) on an enemy, or 48x its score value. I don't know if the Japanese PS1 game is identical to the Saturn, but I think it's likely, outside of the extra ships.

Interestingly, it looks like Working Designs made it harder, if not almost impossible, to get a "perfect score" (every possible point earned) than it is on the Saturn original - I think by upping the score counter to add for their $10,000 contest gimmick.

The Playstation Version DOES max out at 1,103,999,995!!!! I am living proof of rhis. There is a “Score Milking Area” in the game where you are able to sit and just destroy stuff until you are satisfied. You also MUST get perfect “End Game Bonus” to het it, which you MUST have at least 1 hit on your shield for a perfect weapon bonus. It tales 3hrs to do this.

The FINAL play for the contest was only for 2nd through 5th place. When you max the score out, that’s wjat happens.

*I still need to migrate all the names over; it took me around 40 minutes just to do this one. I was waiting for people to post in the Souky thread to get motivated... :oops:
"AREA GUARD NAME, GUARDIANS KNIGHT--SUB-NAME--"FOR WHOM IS THE SWORD DRAWN?!"
Michko

Post by Michko »

ThunderForce 222 wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Thanks! I try to put a little effort into my score threads (see: Soukyugurentai* :wink: ).

The Playstation Version DOES max out at 1,103,999,995!!!! I am living proof of rhis. There is a “Score Milking Area” in the game where you are able to sit and just destroy stuff until you are satisfied. You also MUST get perfect “End Game Bonus” to het it, which you MUST have at least 1 hit on your shield for a perfect weapon bonus. It tales 3hrs to do this.

The FINAL play for the contest was only for 2nd through 5th place. When you max the score out, that’s wjat happens.

Hi ! First, Congratulations for your Masters high scores !
I would like to know how to use the Evasion Bonus in PS 1 Version. O)
My high score on time attack mode ( difficulty Normal ) : around 802 000 000 points.

Thanks
Michko

Post by Michko »

ThunderForce 222 wrote:

Hi Man/Pilot/Soldier !

First, Congratulations for your performances at Thunder Force V.
I have a question : Please, How to have the Evasion Bonus at tf5 on PS1.
Thanks a lot for an answer.

" May fortune be with you... "
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

NTSC-J PS1, Normal, Arcade

Default Ship

Jonpachi & 363,328,581 & ALL! & 3-1-2

Last edited by Jonpachi on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for adding a score in this long-languished thread! Please edit the post in the proper format tho, since it saves me a bit of time adding it properly to the scoreboard.

--
SYSTEM, DIFFICULTY, MODE
(e.g. PS1, Hard, Time Attack)

SHIP
Name & Score & Stage Reached & Route (1-2-3 etc.)
--

Also, congratulations on the clear!
You're clearing confirms for me something I've long wondered about (and forgotten) - it looks like the USA PS1 version gives you a single 1 point for clearing the game (probably from the TLB?). When I looked at my old photo of the clear I was like "where did that 1 come from? I didn't continue!" Especially when the Saturn version doesn't add the extra point.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks Ing, updated. I didn't know you could change ships though? I just used the default ship whatever it's called. I just checked the options menu and I don't see anything about ships. How do I try the alternates?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Been playing this a lot the last couple of days, might as well submit one. Mostly playing for survival so I missed lots of X16 opportunities (bosses mainly). Also did a run on the Saturn version off stream, might submit that one too just to fill up the board.

Name: Austin - ALL! - PS1 version (Japan) - Normal Mode - Default Ship - Route: 1, 2, 3 - Score: 498,201,405

Direct capture so the image isn't super crisp (did it live on stream if verification is needed - Link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/704463383):

Don't mind the name entry. I was just coming off torturing myself with GI Joe on the NES.

I saw Time Attack was mentioned. Haven't clocked enough time into the Saturn version - does anyone know if that version has that, or is it exclusive to the PS1 port?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So the player 2a03 contacted me with his score that he'd like to add, and it's a big one!

We have now a new community record for Normal on Thunder Force V! Sorry Icarus; you've had a good run :wink: Take a look at this good stuff!

Blue Gauntlet, Normal
2a03 & 1,058,266,560 & ALL! & 3-2-1
Spoiler

AS you can see, the score table actually pulls a Yagawa and resorts to symbols when it can no longer display the correct data. In fact, the score goes beyond what the game will display at the end-of-game tally, hence that groovy counterstop pic in the spoiler.

This is all some seriously great stuff! Makes me want to bust out my saturn copy and go again for a Master clear. Congratulations again 2a03/Ser!

Austin, it's nice to see your survival clear posted here too. I'll be more than happy to add it to the list. I appreciate a video link too! I wish I could ask for more video/image proofs of scores on this table, especially with some being so old.

Austin wrote: I saw Time Attack was mentioned. Haven't clocked enough time into the Saturn version - does anyone know if that version has that, or is it exclusive to the PS1 port?
Time Attack is a ps1 exclusive. I did joke above that you can make your own time attack from the high-score screen, which notes time spent on each level. But that's not the same. 8)
Jonpachi wrote:Thanks Ing, updated. I didn't know you could change ships though? I just used the default ship whatever it's called. I just checked the options menu and I don't see anything about ships. How do I try the alternates?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/199003 ... tem/cheats
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Empty boards, here I post some:

PS1, Master (Japanese version)
copy-paster - 587,007,085 - ALL! - 1-2-3
Spoiler
Didn't bother with Rynex's 2nd form and green crystal rush speedkills cause they're scary. I saw one master mode replay on PS1 (some say it's a TAS but anyway) with most x16 scores and nearly all enemies killed but final score barely reach 800mil, it's true that PS1 port modifies scoring to prevent counterstop. Now all that's left is how the hell ThunderForce222 able to get 1bil? Milking spot like Guardian computer's first form does have timeout so you can't milk her for a long time.
ThunderForce 222

Hmmmm….I mean if I’ve maxed it out on Master, It would stand to reason that it doesn’t matter what difficulty it’s on I’d universally be top. It’s not like the scoring tech I use is,….it’s been maxed out. The PS version is different though. You couldn’t use the tech because You would be destroyed. It’ not possible to do it on MASTER. Without revealing my tech, just trust me……The chance of it being done on master o. the ps is not really within the realms of possibilty. On Hard….yeah….It’s possible but not on MASTER. No way.
ThunderForce 222

Hmmmm….I mean if I’ve maxed it out on Master, It would stand to reason that it doesn’t matter what difficulty it’s on I’d universally be top. It’s not like the scoring tech I use is,….it’s been maxed out. The PS version is different though. You couldn’t use the tech because You would be destroyed. It’ not possible to do it on MASTER. Without revealing my tech, just trust me……The chance of it being done on master o. the ps is not really within the realms of possibilty. On Hard….yeah….It’s possible but not on MASTER. No way.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Score updated! This is such an old thread of mine, I am really regretting not splitting the PS1 USA scores because I can't tell for sure if there are fundamental scoring changes with it. I will try to test out whether or not this hidden multiplier for USA's free way really exists soon, so stay tuned!

SER aka MME (who took the highest score for the Saturn ver above) has been testing himself, and using some quick and dirty TAS he managed to milk the Guardian boss fight for something like 3 hours!!!!!

Really interesting that the counterstop SER got is the score that TF222 posted.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

By the way ThunderForce222, do you have any pictures saved of your score from the old days? I would love to see it!

Re: this hidden multiplier in WD's free range. While I have parroted this info in the past to others I currently have my doubts. WD doesn't even mention it in their instruction manual where they normally list changes made in the localization. I am going to try to test this over the next few days using an ISO of the PS1 USA copy and my Saturn copy for comparison, but it seems strange to me that they would not mention this.

EDIT: see below. It seem the earliest mention of this multiplier is a post by Kiken... Who turned out to be totally wrong. :| I have no clue where he got this from but I feel bad for parroting it for so long.

As I said in the post above, I am glad that SER/2a03 was able to achieve the same score as you on Normal USA PS1, milking the final boss' orbs for 3+ hours, because that is additional verification of the counterstop scoring technique.

But can you point out to me why the Saturn Master counterstop score is higher than the PS1 Normal counterstop? EDIT: This is because of the end of game bonus for Master mode, my bad.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well I did some testing on the USA PS1 rom of Thunder Force V, and I think I am going to have to debunk the 'hidden multiplier' on the Working Designs port.

I chose stage 3 as my starter, and got two craws and Free Way. I went in a bit into the stage, right before the motorcycle midboss, where you have the two helicopter carriers come one after another. I thought this is a good way to test since it's the same enemy, with no other distractions or zako on screen.

I approached the first from far away (definitely "range 3" with free way), and over-weapon'd immediately getting a x16 kill. When the second game on screen, I point-blank over-weapon'd it to get another x16. So, identical circumstances!

Here are the score changes:
1,010,800 (base)
1,298,800 (first chopper, x16)
1,586,800 (second chopper, x16)

Each chopper gave a value of exactly 288,000 points.

I tested this method again, both choppers killed with over-weapon free-way at x16, one from far away, and one point blank. The tally:

570,000 (base)
858,000 (first)
1,146,000 (second)

Once again, a score increase of precisely 288,000 for a x16 kill, regardless of proximity. Even if I somehow had not gotten the "range 1" range for the second kill, it was waay closer than the far-away kill so there would have been some difference, if it existed.

The obvious conclusion is that we have been mistaken, and that the rumors of a hidden multiplier added by Working Designs is simply not true. Perhaps it is just hard to tell in the chaos of the game and it might seem like there was more score being generated than there really is.

In some ways this is a relief because this means that there is likely more parity between the PS1 JPN and USA versions of TF5 than I had feared (vs. other WD ports, which are not compatible). I will try to update this thread with testing the Saturn port when I have the time and wherewithal.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

This is good, and I should have done this research an eternity ago, thank you. I get the feeling there are differences, perhaps minor ones, between the SS and PS versions though. I dunno, seems like a lot of work was done on the port to make it a kind of "director's cut". It sure would be nice to cut down on tables though.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Thank you for the debunking, Ing and SER! Now I don't have to worry about scoring on PS1. This game made me go into scoring again lately, the satisfaction of getting those x16 is real :mrgreen:

I might do counterstop once I get a chance to play Saturn one.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

We have something special to share today! The intrepid 2a03, aka SER, who previously took the western record for the SS normal mode diff., has uploaded what I believe is now the highest-scoring replay available of the Sega Saturn Normal mode!

This replay, on top of showing off a pretty skilled route throughout the game, shows off the long "rumored" final boss milk which allows him to counterstop the game! Milking the penultimate boss for upwards of 12-14 minutes (!!), capping it off with a fraught battle with the ultra-random, RNG run killer Khaos, without losing any lives to maintain the no-miss bonus! It is essentially a perfect play of the game's Normal mode!

Watch this epic gameplay yourself, here!

The secrets of TF5 are slowly being unraveled by us westies over the past year or so, it's quite fun to see the fruits of everyone's labor!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Sick accomplishment. Makes me wanna counterstop all three difficulties.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

copy-paster wrote:Sick accomplishment. Makes me wanna counterstop all three difficulties.
Look who got the CSes today, also exactly a year since that previous post dear god. :lol:

Saturn, Normal
copy-paster - 1,045,552,120 - ALL! - 3-1-2 - replay

Saturn, Hard
copy-paster - 1,088,460,520 - ALL! - 3-1-2 - replay

Saturn, Master
copy-paster - 1,143,999,999 - ALL! - 3-1-2 - replay

Normal and Hard is manageable as long as you know all the speedkills, in Master however is pretty bad in stage 6 boss his second phase WILL fuck you up with the endless green orbs+frequent spreadshot+random fireball attack (can't destroy them with free range and wave) it's pretty much a luck based fight. I'm pretty much done with this game, also you entered the score wrong at TF222's saturn master score the true maxed out score is 1,143,999,999 btw.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

copy-paster wrote:
copy-paster wrote:Sick accomplishment. Makes me wanna counterstop all three difficulties.
Look who got the CSes today, also exactly a year since that previous post dear god. :lol:

Saturn, Normal

Saturn, Hard

Saturn, Master
Awesome scores to add my man! You've really become the master of this game and I'm glad to see you sitting on top of all the leaderboards.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

copy-paster wrote:

Saturn, Normal

Saturn, Hard

Saturn, Master

Normal and Hard is manageable as long as you know all the speedkills, in Master however is pretty bad in stage 6 boss his second phase WILL fuck you up with the endless green orbs+frequent spreadshot+random fireball attack (can't destroy them with free range and wave) it's pretty much a luck based fight. I'm pretty much done with this game, also you entered the score wrong at TF222's saturn master score the true maxed out score is 1,143,999,999 btw.
Nice scores - will need to check out one or more of these replays.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'