Raiga: Strato Fighter

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Great shmup by Tecmo. Fire left or right with a button that switches the direction you face. Tons of extends in the game, but this is balanced by the brutal recovery (some of the best powerups such as Beam Rifle are pretty rare). Strategy guide here:

viewtopic.php?p=1478915#p1478915

Please specify version. There's a US version and a Japan version, not sure what differences exist yet. There was also a release for Xbox, not sure how accurate or what changes if any exist.

Japan and US version defaults are:

Lives: 3
Difficulty: Normal
Bonus Lives: 50k, every 200k after

Please post scores in this format (ampersands so I can easily post them in the tables!):

Code: Select all

Name & Score (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx) & Stage & Version & Autofire ON/OFF & # of Random Extends & Video/Picture Link (if available)
For Stage, please specify as [LOOP#-STAGE#] or for a game clear as ALL [#LIVES BONUS ON FINAL SCORE]. As examples: 1-3, 2-5, ALL 7

Important Note: # of Random Extends refers to how many item based extends you collected in total from the item carriers at the end of stage 5 in both loops as well as the lone item carrier at the end of 2-6 who may be capable of randomly dropping an extend. I'm talking about these guys:

In each loop of the game, there are two boxes in Stage 5 with guaranteed item Extends, one at the start of the level, and one later at the bottom of the screen in the ruined buildings. The second one in Stage 5 is tricky to get without accidentally ramming into a wall, and can be safely ignored when going for a clear run, but is important to get for scoring.

Then, there are two square-shaped blue ships in Stage 5 and one purple one in Stage 2-6 that drop 4 boxes each when destroyed. The items from the blue ships are RANDOM and can include Extends which are worth a massive 40,000 each at end of game for a clear. Across both loops there are 20 random boxes that can include Extends (the most I have seen so far is one Extend from each ship). Because this is a random element that greatly affects scoring, I've asked that you record the number of lives you get from these ships across both loops. The rest of the game's scoring doesn't appear to be subject to randomness. Huge points to get from final boss milking each loop, about 120,000 to 130,000 can be earned from milking before it times out, kill it before it times out or you lose a good deal of points.

I haven't put much time in the US version, so I can't tell if it's drastically different or not. Will play it and see if scoreboard needs to be split by region or if the US and Japan versions are more or less identical. Please submit stage as 1-# for Loop 1 stages and 2-# for Loop 2 stages, or ALL for the clear.

World Record: Matsu - 2,743,090 - Autofire ON (no video known)

There is, apparently, a way of ending the game with a whopping 12 lives in stock, which apparently the world records do. If this is merely a matter of luck that'd be unfortunate, but there's still probably some milking or scoring techniques that are unknown outside of the record holders that would also make up for the scoring gap.

Rank Name Score Stage Version Autofire # of Random Extends Video/Picture
1 BareKnuckleRoo 2,295,550 ALL 9 MAME JP Ver Autofire ON 1 Video
2 Perikles 2,227,470 ALL 10 MAME JP Ver ON 2 Pic
3 ghegs 1,838,550 ALL 4 PCB ??? Ver ON - Saturn controller with modded rapidfire 0 Video
4 PlasmaBlooD 1,468,030 2-6 MAME JP Ver ON 2
5 Dumple 874,450 2-3 MAME JP Ver OFF 1 Video
6 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
7 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
8 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
9 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
10 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
11 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
12 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
13 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
14 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
15 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
16 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
17 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
18 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
19 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
20 [name] [score] [stage] [version] [autofire] [# ext.] [vid/pic]
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:11 am, edited 21 times in total.
Perikles

Re: Raiga: Strato Fighter

Post by Perikles »

Perikles & 2,227,470 & ALL 10 & MAME JP Ver & ON & 2

Will upload the run in a while (had a change of heart and decided to publish my Rapid Hero after all, that'll come first) and add it here. Was too scared to pick up the second extend in stage 5 in the second loop as I've lost a run to that already, I also killed the final boss way too quickly in the second loop, but I'm content with the result. You can also randomly earn the aforementioned boon from the last regular enemy in 2-6, that guy likewise drops boxes which may or may not contain (an?) extend(s?). What an idiotic design choice.

This game also seems to be greatly inspired by Kaneko's Heavy Unit, particularly the PCE port of the selfsame game - even the score font is identical. Raiga very much feels like a HuCard game in general what with the difficulty, pacing and overall design, which I always found charming.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Video is up!

Also:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Bonus Lives: 50k, every 200k after
You accidentally wrote "every... after", right? You're supposed to get only two extra lives via score, don't you?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Perikles wrote: You accidentally wrote "every... after", right? You're supposed to get only two extra lives via score, don't you?
Yeah there's only two lives via score, my mistake! Will correct that and update.
You can also randomly earn the aforementioned boon from the last regular enemy in 2-6, that guy likewise drops boxes which may or may not contain (an?) extend(s?). What an idiotic design choice.
Aaaaa, I wanted to keep track of how many random extends players collect, but I wasn't aware there was another random drop, how annoying. Will update first post when I get a chance accordingly. :/ It's a really enjoyable game to play, but the random extends nonsense makes it silly to play for score, so noting how many random extends showed up (and how many lives you got counted for an ALL bonus) seemed like a good idea.

Also, video for ghegs's run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKsYGqOfJyQ

And my current best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciGeuWkm1w
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

this game

working on improving my score is heartbreaking, I have so many dumb death outtakes, latest one is when I realized enemy bullets are on the layer below player bullets which caused me to miss a laser beam while using ion cannon

how did I never notice this before, this explains so many deaths

---

I think I know what my upper limit is with ideal milking and scoring, but it's still nowhere near WR. I just need a run where I manage the clear now. Last couple runs I'm on track to beating Perikles, but I get greedy and go for the second extend in 2-5 which is supremely stupid and dangerous and isn't worth risking screwing a run.

WR is apparently 2,743,090. 40,000 points at end of game per extend (you get 40,000 I think for current life). There are 2 guaranteed extends per loop, with the second extend in stage 5 generally being too dangerous to get in loop 2 due to the number of enemies there. There are item carriers in each loop that drop random items (the big square ships in Stage 5, and the one before the final boss in 2-6). I've never seen it happen, but assuming all boxes drop extends that's a potential end bonus of 26 extra lives + current life, for a total of 1,080,000.

You can milk about 130,000 ideally from final boss each loop before it times out and if you don't accidentally kill it first - best to use Ion Cannon + Solid Shooter or Blaster + Bombs, Beam Rifle and Missiles will risk killing the boss early. This is dangerous though as it takes a LOT of time to milk it for that many points.

The WR is only possible as far as I can tell if a) you replay the game over and over and somehow the boxes all drop several Extends each (which is stupid scoring) or b) if you doubleplay the game and earn all the points with one ship (if you start a game in 2 player, as long as both players are alive you get extra enemies and items, but if one gets gameover, it seems to go back to single player enemy layout, even if you put in another credit). If anyone has a video of WR-level scoring, as in 2,700,000 or more points, that'd be great.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD & 1,086,400 & All 4 & Mame Japanversion & Autofire ON & 1 of Random Extends

or All 9? i came to 2-4 i don t why you write so ....

Bad first Loop.i must fight the Endboss with bad Weapon and last life :-(

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BareKnuckleRoo & Score 2,295,550 & ALL 9 & MAME JP Ver & Autofire ON & 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skExYa7_3GY

102 attempts. Finally beat Perikles, though not by much (very inspiring score, couldn't resist trying to get up there!). Only 1 extend from random item carriers, only got the tricky extend in loop 1 (there's too many enemies to reliably do it in loop 2 IMO). Lots of final boss milking in both loops made up the difference, went perfectly aside from the random items being stingy on extends. There's also a few points to squeeze out of stage 3 by severing the tail of worm enemies before attacking the head (gives more points that way).

Still no idea how WR was achieved, unless you somehow can get 3+ extends from each random item ship. You can get more enemies if you play 2-player mode from the start of game, but this scoreboard is just for solo.

also for laughs, selection of the stupidest deaths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5MZOtvLOo
PlasmaBlooD wrote:PlasmaBlooD & 1,086,400 & All 4 & Mame Japanversion & Autofire ON & 1 of Random Extends

or All 9? i came to 2-4 i don t why you write so ....
Great to see more people playing! In this case it'd be 2-4 for the stage. Some games can end in the first loop after you clear it if you haven't met the loop requirements, in which case it'd be a 1-ALL or a 2-ALL depending on how many loops cleared. Raiga does not have any loop requirements; you always get the second loop after beating the game, so there's only an ALL clear - you have to beat both loops for the game to actually end.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD & 1,468,030 & 2-6 & Mame Japanversion & Autofire ON & 2 of Random Extends

i died in 2-5 an i came with last life to the Weapons at the end of Stage.In 2-6 a shit mistake, but was the first 2-6 run .

Dumple

Post by Dumple »

Dumple & 874,450 & 2-3 & MAME JP Ver & No Autofire & 1 random extend

A nice li'l clear of the first loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJpav6-UE4k
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Good job, keep it up! Scores updated, will update scoretable later to include a video/picture link column.